Paul McCartney Hires Beatles Tribute Band: Do You Enjoy Tribute Band Performances?

Peter Charles 2013/12/05 23:00:00
Call it self-serving, but only Paul McCartney could hire his own group's tribute band and still not appear an egotistical has-been.

For his wife's surprise birthday party, McCartney recruited Japanese tribute group The Parrots and even joined the Beatles copycat on-stage for 1964 classic "I Saw Her Standing There." The event took place in Tokyo, where the singer is currently promoting his latest album New with his Out There world tour.

DFree / Shutterstock.com

Queen tribute band Gueen performed at the birthday party in addition to The Parrots, perhaps to counterbalance any hint of conceit surrounding the festivities. But is it still a bit odd? We'll let you decide.

How do you see it, SodaHeads? Do you like tribute bands, or are they just a sad shadow of the real thing? What do you think of McCartney's decision to hire a Beatles tribute group?

Read More: http://www.nme.com/news/paul-mccartney/74245

• bbwolf35 2013/12/06 15:46:22
    bbwolf35
    +4
    Most club bands are playing other peoples stuff so, if they're good, why not? If McCartney still thinks the Beatles music is the best...that's cool too.

• Walt 2013/12/10 18:38:03
    Walt
    I'm not crazy about tribute bands, but I think Paul McCartney is a nice person for paying tribute bands to perform selected Beatles tunes. I know there are plenty of bands that would consider it an honor and pay out of their own pockets for the opportunity to participate.
  • JessDeCristo 2013/12/10 18:29:30
    JessDeCristo
    Yes, when they do the tribute while the person is still alive, once that person ds, , it's nice, but it's a bit to late
  • TheAsianDiva85 2013/12/08 18:02:26
    TheAsianDiva85
    Nooooooooooo and I DO NOT like Tribute Bands...
  • Wolfie 2013/12/08 16:51:35
    Wolfie
    If it weren't for tribute bands,a lot of very good music would be gone.Case in point-Grateful Dead tribute bands.One Dead tribute band in particular,Dark Star Orchestra has become a national phenomenon by actually recreating entire concert performances that the band had played years earlier in the exact same venue.And,DSO is an extremely good band ! Honestly,as much as I love The Grateful Dead,I have heard DSO pull off The Deads stuff even better than The Dead themselves ! And,let's not forget about the ideals that tThe Grateful Dead stood for ! Such as peace,love,freedom and experimentation.The Gratfeul Dead lived by the philosophy of doing your own thing in your own way (not some corporate record executives) (and,as long as you hurt no one in the process). The Grateful Dead were pioneers in the music business.
    They paved the way for a fleet of musicians who otherwise may have never even been heard of due to recording co's and their only concern being making money ! THAT is not what music is about ! They also contributed much in the way that that music was recorded/reproduced.Google The Grateful Dead's "Wall Of Sound" and see what you come up with (or,even just "Wall Of Sound"). The Grateful Dead built the largest (and best sounding) PA system IN THE WORLD (at the time) (...
    They paved the way for a fleet of musicians who otherwise may have never even been heard of due to recording co's and their only concern being making money ! THAT is not what music is about ! They also contributed much in the way that that music was recorded/reproduced.Google The Grateful Dead's "Wall Of Sound" and see what you come up with (or,even just "Wall Of Sound"). The Grateful Dead built the largest (and best sounding) PA system IN THE WORLD (at the time) (early 70's). The system was actually so big that it took 5 semi trucks to haul and a crew of approximately 30 to assemble at each show.It was so large in fact,that it became a huge drain on finances and had to be abandoned after a brief 2 year period.But,some of the best and brightest of their shows EVER were produced with this system and enabled many advances to the world of amplified sound due to this.
  • Dave 007 2013/12/07 14:21:32
    Dave 007
    The good ones.
  • tmyawtb 2013/12/07 07:05:02
    tmyawtb
    If they play well, great! I still go see my old favorites, like Jerry Miller from Moby Grape or Big Brother & the Holding Company, but if the band has retired or died, reliving the music through a tribute group works for me. And check out Brian Wilson: his backing group used to be a tribute band and they work great together.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2013/12/07 02:36:02
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    I saw the Fab Four here in Mobile a couple of years ago and it was unbelievable. They did songs from four stages in the Beatles time together, with costume and hairstyle changes from the Ed Sullivan era to the rooftop concert that was the last time they played, and it was just great. All the music, singing and sound effects were done live...'A Day In The Life' was amazing. For almost three hours, these guys WERE The Beatles.
    As for me, I learned the bass guitar playing Beatles songs. McCartney is one of the world's great bassists and was a member of the greatest band in history and will NEVER be a 'has-been'.
    He, like maybe a third of the world's music-loving population, still love the music they created, and love to hear other bands RE-create it.
  • heeheemee 2013/12/07 02:14:39
    heeheemee
    I'd rather listen to a DJ play the real thing, but I think it's kinda cool that he did that.
  • cranejumper 2013/12/07 01:30:28
    cranejumper
    want the real band
  • Matthew Blacker (PWCM~JLA) 2013/12/07 00:08:24
    Matthew Blacker (PWCM~JLA)
    I don't enjoy beatle tributes. I hate the real beatles so why would I listen to someone aping their terrible music? I saw a Doors tribute in the late 80s that was pretty good though.
  • lena 2013/12/06 22:01:57
    lena
    +1
    I've seen great Pearl Jam (Riot Act), Alice in Chains (FAcelift), Rush (Power Windows) and Led Zepelin tribute bands ...so yeah...I enjoy tribute bands.
  • TruXter 2013/12/06 21:15:38
    TruXter
    i know many musicians in multiple bands.
    They make their living doing cover tunes while they hope their "originals" band takes off.

Fact is when you go to an "originals" concert, the majority of the people at the show, are people in the other bands that are playing that night.

when you go to a cover band show, they play songs that people know the lyrics to.

so in sum, originals bands are the only people supporting originals bands. Who ever goes on stage last is screwed because the rest of the bands have left by then so the bar owner thinks no one likes them. So he doesn't request them back
    I do music reviews in Houston
    as seen here
    http://truxter.org/tag/music/
    and here
    http://truxter.org/category/m...
  • ItsyBitsyJ 2013/12/06 20:32:20
    ItsyBitsyJ
    Yes, if the band is talented. Otherwise poor showmanship, bad stage presence & bad notes are no tribute, just an insult.
  • Deborah McGrath 2013/12/06 19:36:39
  • Bob Roberts 2013/12/06 19:34:41
    Bob Roberts
    +1
    Depends, actually. Some really suck, others rock.

Nothing wrong with Paul hiring this band. Cool, actually.
    yes
  • Boo 2013/12/06 17:35:07
    Boo
    +1
    I've heard several that are very good. Not everyone has the opportunity to hear bands like the Beetles, Queen, etc. live. Tribute bands are the next best thing.
  • P. Sturm 2013/12/06 16:53:54
    P. Sturm
    +1
    I like the original bands.
  • Mark5610 2013/12/06 16:42:04
    Mark5610
    +2
    No except for Mini Kiss Mini Kiss

• cass 2013/12/06 16:41:45
    cass
    +2
    Way to go Sir Paul.Support musicians...
  • gonzo 2013/12/06 16:15:02
    gonzo
    +2
    Some of these bands do a really good job. Music is great.
  • Marie 2013/12/06 15:53:37 (edited)
    Marie
    +1
    Don't enjoy the Beatles although they seemed fun in their day and Pauls new single SUCKS. I think it's having an "emporer's new clothes" moment. They just keep on pretending out of respect for Sir, Paul &,The Beatles. I, like the little girl, think it would be better for him and everyone else to tell him the truth.Mr. McCartney, Your song sucks. Your heyday is over. You just can't replicate The Beatles chemistry alone or with a make-shift band. Maybe you should just bask in your faded limelight from now on. Sorry, Sir.
  • bbwolf35 2013/12/06 15:46:22
    bbwolf35
    +4
  • Professor Wizard 2013/12/06 14:22:26
    Professor Wizard
    +2
    When those bands do a good job of their tribute.. yea!
  • david abe 2013/12/06 13:00:18 (edited)
    david abe
    +1
    Tribute bands tend to be academic ,they miss the small imperfections that make the original unique ,but they put on good shows.
  • Old Guy 2013/12/06 12:59:01
  • foxy 2013/12/06 12:32:23
    foxy
    +1
    They should be good as he was in the original band and knows how they should sound.
  • Christian Collins 2013/12/06 11:28:08
  • peggy 2013/12/06 06:04:35
    peggy
    Some of them.
  • MikeWon 2013/12/06 05:55:13
  • Christi... MikeWon 2013/12/06 11:27:18
    Christian Collins
    +2
    It takes real immaturity to make fun of Obama on a question that has literally not a thing to do with him.
  • MikeWon Christi... 2013/12/06 15:44:28
  • gonzo Christi... 2013/12/06 16:14:15
  • Christi... gonzo 2013/12/06 19:53:30
  • jacktown kid 2013/12/06 03:37:03
    jacktown kid
    +1
    I like it
  • Sean McDonald 2013/12/06 02:53:06
  • Spidey59 Sean Mc... 2013/12/06 12:46:46
    Spidey59
    +1
    what about Zepparella Zepparella Judas priestress
  • Vieuphoria 2013/12/06 02:21:26
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    Yeah, if they're good.
  • ZER0 2013/12/06 00:13:35
    ZER0
    +2
    Some are quite good. Australian Pink Floyd was an amazing show.

2014/11/21 02:23:45