Paterno To Remain in Brown Hall of Fame: Did the University Make the Right Decision?

Sports 2012/09/15 18:57:30
Late Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno's reputation has taken a hit of epic proportions in the last year. The statue honoring him outside of Penn State was removed, as was his spot on a famous on-campus mural. The NCAA also took it upon itself to vacate his wins and college football records. Paterno's alma mater Brown University, however, has opted to take a different route.

The Ivy League university has chose to have Paterno remain in its Hall of Fame, despite damning evidence that linked him to knowing about child molestation going on at Penn State and refusing to take proper action. Brown did remove Paterno's name from awards he won while at the school. He attended Brown from 1946-1949 and was inducted to its Hall of Fame in 1978.

Paterno passed away in January, but not before his legacy became completely tarnished due to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. His family has vehemently denied the accusations brought against him. Brown has received heavy criticism for keeping Paterno in the Hall of Fame, but it was agreed upon by its governing board.

Read More: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/joe...

• Hawkeye 2012/09/15 21:14:52
    Hawkeye
    +8
    "The decision to remove the statue came ten days after the release of a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh which found that Paterno had conspired with three other top Penn State administrators to conceal allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. According to the Freeh report, the motive was self-serving: to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity."

Whatever the motivation or cause for Paterno's actions,, they were nevertheless IMMORAL and ILLEGAL and the VICTIMS of his actions were Children.. ACTIONS have consequences and Paterno's are no different..

If EVER there was a PRIME example of that old saying,, " A Lifetime of GOOD works can be cancelled out by ONE heinous deed.." THIS is one of them..

Paterno should be a lesson to ALL of us.. "All that is necessary for EVIL to Flourish is for GOOD men and women to stand by and do nothing.."..

ALL the MORE so if that man or woman takes a willing part in HIDING it from view..

• Patriotic Michael... 2012/10/08 01:57:31
    Patriotic
    Yes, every single grown man involved.
  • Patric Michael... 2012/09/16 00:15:38
    Patric
    +2
    paterno allowed the child rapist to do his rape of children for 10 years in the football locker room
    paterno will , for all time , be in shame...
  • nerak611 Patriotic 2012/09/22 19:28:07
    nerak611
    He should be removed for his part in helping to cover it up!!!! Remaining silent ALLOWED the abuse to continue!!!! He's almost as guilty as Sandusky! Anyone who covered it up is!!!
  • Patriotic nerak611 2012/09/22 20:08:10
    Patriotic
    +1
    I agree...Paterno was just as complicit as Sandusky.
  • Hawk Patriotic 2012/09/15 23:56:00
    Hawk
    +1
    I'll buy that.
  • Patriotic Hawk 2012/09/16 00:14:47
    Patriotic
    +1
    I'm appalled at the folks who are coming to this man's defense for not reporting child rape. It continued for years afterwards. This man continued to bring children into the games and facilities...disgusting!
  • Hawk Patriotic 2012/09/16 00:40:17
    Hawk
    +1
    It is, but more than that alarming!
  • Patriotic Hawk 2012/09/16 00:44:55
    Patriotic
    +1
    You are exactly right. I don't understand what people are thinking. What is wrong with this world?
  • Hawk Patriotic 2012/09/16 00:50:38
    Hawk
    +1
    Earlier I asked a SH this: If you were at a party and you knew a rape was in progress in one of the rooms; would you stop it, report it or ignore it. No answer so far. Same circumstances.
  • Patriotic Hawk 2012/09/16 00:55:08
    Patriotic
    Unbelievable! There are some truly selfish and disgusting people in this world. What's even more disturbing is that SH is mostly conservatives. Aren't conservatives supposed to be Christians by majority? Wow...what would Jesus do?
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/09/22 15:19:26
    Michael Ejercito
    Jesus would follow proper procedure.

The Freeh Report is flawed.
  • Patriotic Michael... 2012/09/22 17:57:15
    Patriotic
    Jesus would not look the other way, which is not proper procedure. Are you a pedophile...because you seem awfully sympathetic to the rapist.
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/10/13 18:15:28 (edited)
    Michael Ejercito
    Following proper procedure is important.

As bad as this was, it is not even a trillionth as bad as the Kern County sex abuse scandal. That is what happens when proper procedures are not followed.

Joe Paterno, even if guilty of everything he is accused of by many of these posters, is still a trillion times better man than Ed Jagels.
  • Patriotic Michael... 2012/10/13 18:27:35
    Patriotic
    That may be...I'm really tired of discussing this issue. Paterno is dead and Sandusky is in jail...
  • Joey 2012/09/15 22:42:03
    Joey
    +2
    I wonder how those people would feel if he turned his back on their kids.
  • Pug For Huck 2012/09/15 22:39:25
    Pug For Huck
    +3
    Paterno was not the molester. He may not have handled the situation properly, but he's being vilified wrongly.
  • Patric Pug For... 2012/09/16 00:16:45
    Patric
    damn, paterno allowed this sicko to rape children , in the football locker room for 10 years..

paterno is in shame , for all time , shame, shame, shame
  • Pug For... Patric 2012/09/17 17:13:52
    Pug For Huck
    I think you're taking this to an extreme. From no report or info has there been any information stating that Paterno was involved or "allowed" this to happen. He reported it up the chain, but his fault lies in not forcing the issue. He is absolutely responsible for that and ultimately responsible for the staff under him. But, the Penn State board needs to accept that they did not act when this info was provided to them.
  • Patric Pug For... 2012/09/17 17:28:59
    Patric
    well, we will have to disagree on this.

I think it is time to bury paterno , neither praise him nor ' kick the dead horse "
  • Pug For... Patric 2012/09/18 02:23:55
    Pug For Huck
    Amicably, of course.

Not trying to praise, just keep perspective.

Peace.
  • 4gotten Israelite 2012/09/15 22:36:01
    4gotten Israelite
    +2
    No, he should be kicked out of the BHF, he's a disgrace to the university for knowing of that creep sexing little boys in the shower. He should of stepped up when it first came to his attention, so throw him out with the other's
  • Simi Dave 2012/09/15 22:08:03
    Simi Dave
    +2
    Where was/is the proof that Joe Pa covered this up? Shameful what Penn St and the NCAA did, I tell you...
  • Hawkeye Simi Dave 2012/09/15 22:31:21
    Hawkeye
    +1
  • Michael... Hawkeye 2012/09/15 22:49:01
    Michael Ejercito
    +1
    A report that is deeply flawed.

http://ps4rs.org/docs/press-r...
  • Hawkeye Michael... 2012/09/15 22:54:28
    Hawkeye
    +2
    A Penn State rebuttal to a report that exposes their LONG STANDING irresponsibilities in these matters.. HARDLY convincing evidence of Paterno's Innocence..

I see no reason to absolve Paterno of any guilt here..

A guilt,, I may add,, that Paterno APOLOGIZED for..
  • Michael... Hawkeye 2012/09/15 23:48:54
    Michael Ejercito
    It was a rebuttal by an organization of alumni, not the Penn State administration.
  • Hawkeye Michael... 2012/09/16 00:51:19
    Hawkeye
    Oh,, And THAT makes it ALL true,, eh??

THIS has been going on for decades.. They are Alumni NOW but chances are that they have as much to GAIN as ANYBODY if they can JUST manage to make this ALL go away..

Like they did with the CRIME itself..
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/09/15 22:02:56
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    It is human nature for some to forgive-and-forget when someone is punished for something that they did . . . That's not unusual . . . However, if a man has swept a felonious act under the rug, then no, that can not be forgiven . . . Brown needs to make an attempt at wiping Paterno's name from its records; and then go about their future business . . . One-day-at-a-time . . . I personally have a lot of Respect for Brown University in Provident, Rhode Island . . . They have been around a long time . . . I hope they do well and live up to their standards. I also hope that that the Sandusky victims have an opportunity to get the necessary medical help and support, too.
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/09/15 22:00:58
    SOUL4REAL
    +2
    Joe Paterno could have saved alot children from the pain and suffering they went through, if he would have opened his damn mouth! Brown University is wrong for keeping this man in the hall of fame on their campus! What are you all saying? That it was ok to keep quite about the "Molestation"?! Joe Paterno is just as bad as Jerry Sandusky because he knew about it and didn't say a damn thing! They both are "Scummmmm"!! Shame on you "Brown University"!!
  • Lucy SOUL4REAL 2012/09/15 23:41:15
    Lucy
    I agree with you except, the football part is separate from his crime of leaving things undone. There is a prayer, God, forgive me for things I have done and for things I have left undone.
  • SOUL4REAL Lucy 2012/09/16 00:02:01
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    Forgive?? This man is no longer living,I know about forgiveness,this man could have save those children the pain they suffered and didn't say a word. Why should he be remember as someone who was great? That pray apply if your alive,he's not....so who are we forgiving? The damage is already done.
  • Lucy SOUL4REAL 2012/09/16 00:06:00
    Lucy
    +2
    I did not mean he should be forgiven; I wanted to say that to tell him the sin of how he did not report the crimes, but I felt the football coaching part of his work was good, Maybe he helped some young men through coaching. I still think he is terrible for what he covered up.
  • SOUL4REAL Lucy 2012/09/16 03:37:51 (edited)
    SOUL4REAL
    I agree totally!! He should not be rewarded for nothing after covering up the crime. Rewarding him is like saying it was ok,and it wasn't.....Think about the young boys! Have a bless night! :)
  • Lucy SOUL4REAL 2012/09/16 18:18:53
    Lucy
    +1
    You too.
  • CrazyJason 2012/09/15 22:00:03
    CrazyJason
    Is that Robert De Niro??
  • Cal 2012/09/15 21:37:10 (edited)
    Cal
    +1
    Someone had to make the right call. Joe Paterno, the only man in American history, taken down, disrespected, and killed (more or less pushed his death)...for a crime he didn't even committ or was accused of. America, you made me sick with this witch hunt.
  • Hawkeye Cal 2012/09/15 22:29:35
    Hawkeye
    +2
    It IS a crime to stand by and KNOWINGLY conspire to IGNORE,, hide and cover up another crime.. ALL the more so when it's someone in a position of trust or authority..

NOBODY'S claiming or condemning Paterno for Molesting Children.. He had his OWN crimes to answer for..
  • Cal Hawkeye 2012/09/15 22:33:55 (edited)
    Cal
    +3
    Oh yeah? When that start? America better go back through decades worth of data and start condemning people for not committing crimes, having vague knowledge, and not having any facts then. We might need a few hundred more prisons!

Never mind, per Obama Americans can be killed without trial, why not imprisoned wrongly. Go ahead then....

Dude don't justify the witch hunt. Your not going anywhere with that one. It's a really really weak excuse.
  • Hawkeye Cal 2012/09/15 23:00:37
    Hawkeye
    +1
    Well. It doesn't matter what you think one way or the other.. Your innappropriate use of the term "Witch Hunt" identifies YOU as being absolutely clueless to the gravity of these crimes..

I wonder how you'd feel after learning that YOUR child was molested while another stood by and did NOTHING and had done so on NUMERAOUS occasions with other children.. That YOUR child NEVER should have had to go through this..

No.. I don't wonder at all.. I KNOW what you'd do.. If this weren't Paterno you'd be crying FOUL just like everybody else who does so..
  • Cal Hawkeye 2012/09/15 23:52:00

2014/11/01 04:13:32