Paterno To Remain in Brown Hall of Fame: Did the University Make the Right Decision?

Sports 2012/09/15 18:57:30
Late Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno's reputation has taken a hit of epic proportions in the last year. The statue honoring him outside of Penn State was removed, as was his spot on a famous on-campus mural. The NCAA also took it upon itself to vacate his wins and college football records. Paterno's alma mater Brown University, however, has opted to take a different route.

The Ivy League university has chose to have Paterno remain in its Hall of Fame, despite damning evidence that linked him to knowing about child molestation going on at Penn State and refusing to take proper action. Brown did remove Paterno's name from awards he won while at the school. He attended Brown from 1946-1949 and was inducted to its Hall of Fame in 1978.

Paterno passed away in January, but not before his legacy became completely tarnished due to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. His family has vehemently denied the accusations brought against him. Brown has received heavy criticism for keeping Paterno in the Hall of Fame, but it was agreed upon by its governing board.

Read More: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/joe...

• Hawkeye 2012/09/15 21:14:52
    Hawkeye
    +8
    "The decision to remove the statue came ten days after the release of a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh which found that Paterno had conspired with three other top Penn State administrators to conceal allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. According to the Freeh report, the motive was self-serving: to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity."

Whatever the motivation or cause for Paterno's actions,, they were nevertheless IMMORAL and ILLEGAL and the VICTIMS of his actions were Children.. ACTIONS have consequences and Paterno's are no different..

If EVER there was a PRIME example of that old saying,, " A Lifetime of GOOD works can be cancelled out by ONE heinous deed.." THIS is one of them..

Paterno should be a lesson to ALL of us.. "All that is necessary for EVIL to Flourish is for GOOD men and women to stand by and do nothing.."..

ALL the MORE so if that man or woman takes a willing part in HIDING it from view..

• Patric Lucy 2012/09/16 00:31:21
    Patric
    +1
    and it is terrible, paterno was a cult idol figure here in West Pa. , all those years
    " Joe Pa " was the man, little did we know what was going on behind closed doors,

but , and a big BUTT, paterno DID KNOW , and paterno allowed it to go on for 10 years
  • Lucy Patric 2012/09/16 00:35:10
    Lucy
    +2
    Yes, it is so horrible and hard to believe someone could allow it.
  • Patric Lucy 2012/09/16 00:40:23
    Patric
    +1
    especially paterno, how strict and rightous he was ( atleast the public perception ) , how he ran a great foot ball program, how he made donations to chartities ,

and yet, for all those years, he helped a rapist abuse children in the football locker room for 10 years..

it might be that we, the public , did not know the real paterno...

one of the sorry days in western Pa. sorry indeed..
  • Lucy Patric 2012/09/16 00:42:07
    Lucy
    +1
    I know. PA has the nicest people and so many of my friends went to Penn State.
  • Patric Lucy 2012/09/16 00:44:56
    Patric
    +2
    PSU is about 2 hours from us, I would take my son up there to show the campus, he went to the PSU soccer camps ,

as great a University PSU is , and , IMO, it is a great university

the depths paterno sank protecting the child rapist... sad day in bed rock
  • Lucy Patric 2012/09/16 00:46:16
  • clasact 2012/09/15 23:22:43
    clasact
    +2
    Paterno was more then just a coach and ment alot more to Penn State then just football.The FBI agant who did this so called investigation ,stated right in his report that he never took any memos,emails or text messagges of Paternos into consideration and never even read them but yet everyone has condemed him with out knowing his side.A dead man makes a great scape goat
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/16 00:13:30
    Patric
    ment alot more... yes, he ment to protect a child rapist....
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/16 01:45:05
    clasact
    +1
    Neither you or I know that .The only thing anyone know is what the report said and it was flawed.The agent himself said he never read any of the memo ,emails or text Pertrino sent so just how did he know if he reproted it.
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/16 01:58:04
    Patric
    agent never read the memo ??
    you talking about the obomma care bill or the x fbi report on the rapes ?

seems , PSU was certain to the contents of the report ... but if you have your ?? about it , that is your choice...

not only did paterno know, he allowed, and he protected the rapist..

shame on paterno, shame, shame , shame....
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/16 03:00:50
    clasact
    +1
    You should go back and read what the agent said when id issued the report.He plainly states he never read any of Paterno's memo,texts,or emails,so to me thats a flew acount.As for PS well it pretty esay to pass all the blame on to a dead man who cant peek for himself and people like you already made up their mind without all the facts
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/16 12:04:47
    Patric
    hmm,, " people like me ...." is that the paterno backer's ? I have been a paterno / PSU supporter for 30 years .. is this the " people " you are talking about ?

paterno screwed up.. you can deny it till the cows come in , but the reality of the situation .. paterno is responsible for the continued actions of a rapist under his watch.. that is how it is , \\

have you taken your argument to PSU and tell them they are wrong to agree with the findings and that you have evidence that paterno is innocent ?

what are you agrue with me on this site, get your self up to PSU , your argument and your facts should be presented for all to see....
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/16 14:21:05
    clasact
    +1
    People like you was ment to mean people who made up their minds without knowing all there was.I dont know it all either I never read those email,memos,or text either but the familly sure thought those would have ment something
    I did sent an email to PSU about waht I though as did many but I really think they were just happy to have someone to pin it on and make them look like they knew nothing til it was to late.
    Could more have been done YES.That ASST. who openly testifyed he saw sandusky in the shower with a young boy should have steped in right then and there and should have called the police but he didnt and no one is pinning the blame on him
  • Lucy clasact 2012/09/16 18:21:45
    Lucy
    +1
    Yes. That young man should have gone into the shower, punched Sandusky in the face and gotten the boy dressed and taken him to the police station. That just shows what is wrong with idolizing people. No one should be raised to icon level.
  • clasact Lucy 2012/09/16 21:53:27
    clasact
    on that we agree 100%
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/16 18:25:00
    Patric
    +1
    there is enuff blame to go around ,
    and mcclusky got some on his hands.

and so does paterno,, for 10 years paterno knew and allowed this to continue in the locker room . how sick is that ?
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/16 21:54:13
    clasact
    now do you know that for a fact or are you just going by what you read or heard because it all didnt come out
  • Lucy clasact 2012/09/16 21:56:48
    Lucy
    How else are we going to have a decision unless it is from what we have heard and read. They investigated this thoroughly.
  • clasact Lucy 2012/09/16 22:09:00
    clasact
    How could you call it a thorough investigation when the FBI agent plainly and openly said he never read any of the emails,memo,or text messages Paterno sent.I think he missed the whole other side and PSU used his death as a scapegoat...Thats my opinion
  • Lucy clasact 2012/09/16 23:04:46
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/17 01:02:12
    Patric
    +1
    here in Pittsburgh , the paterno scandle filled the air waves, the tv, the news paper.. and yes , that is a poor source of facts , seeing how poorly the mass media smear any one that is not a liberal...

but any how.. the investigation ( yes only portions ) was well documented and got oportuinity to read sections ..

and it puts paterno in the light of an accomplice , IMO, paterno was implicated to have covered up the rapes..

still have not seen / heard of any paterno representive suing the report .

we have PSU accepting the report as true,,

but I guess there are still some that find it hard to believe that paterno could have know of these horrible crimes and covered them up ..

and that is paterno's legacy , and it is a shame , I am personaly dispointed , paterno , up untill that time was held in the highest regard by both his supporters and also his advisaries.. sad day indeed.
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/17 01:56:17
    clasact
    +1
    I'm just north of Pitt. and heard it all too but I also read the report and comments of the agent.
    I have a lot of respecy for Paterno more for what he did off the field but I would not have any problem with all of it if the agent had taken everything into consideration
    I think the familly just wants the whole thing to go away and like I said I think PSU used him as a scapegoat
    Everyone will always have their own opinion of weather he knew or not but the truth may have gone to the grave with him and even if he was still alive he may have just taken it since he loved that place so much
    I am not a hugh Penn St fan either and never was
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/17 16:36:51
    Patric
    +1
    a life time of service , to the community , to PSU , and it all got pissed down the toylet with this sandusky thing ..

whoops, that was a hugh mistake and that will be his lasting legacy .

and it is a shame , but what is done is done,

I think it is time to bury paterno and move on..
  • clasact Patric 2012/09/17 23:26:04
    clasact
    Fine,my opinion it still the same and I dont think the truth came out but no sense in beating a dead dog
  • Patric clasact 2012/09/18 09:43:47
    Patric
    +1
    I agree with you,

I think all parties would like to bury paterno and all the "issues" and some day , when the dust settles , test the waters then..
  • nerak611 Patric 2012/09/22 19:33:09
    nerak611
    +1
    Amen....his 'lack' of action allowed the abuse to go on! He's almost as guilty as Sandusky, as is anyone who lies to protect and abuser.
  • Robin 2012/09/15 23:04:23
    Robin
    +2
    Sandusky is the offender, why punish Paterno's family? He is passed now, so it is the family who would be punished
  • Patric Robin 2012/09/16 00:14:15
    Patric
    +1
    paterno protected and allowed the child rapist to rape boys for 10 years..

there is only shame on paterno for all eternity
  • Lucy Robin 2012/09/16 23:05:17
    Lucy
    +1
    That is a good point, but the family can live without statues and awards for him.
  • Lucy Robin 2012/09/16 23:06:03
    Lucy
    +1
    Also, that is another good reason to think of your family when you are about to do or not do something wrong.
  • Joe 2012/09/15 22:55:13
    Joe
    +3
    Paterno failed on a personal level (epic fail!), but this does not negate his accomplishments as a football legend.
  • Michael Ejercito 2012/09/15 22:48:05
    Michael Ejercito
    +2
    Yes. Bill Levinson exposed the flaws in the Freeh Report.

http://www.israpundit.com/arc...
  • Patriotic 2012/09/15 22:46:34
    Patriotic
    +1
    After what that guy did, he should be removed for any disguised list of honor or halls. He ruined a lot of lives...
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/09/15 22:48:43
    Michael Ejercito
    Based on the deeply-flawed Freeh Report?

http://ps4rs.org/docs/press-r...
  • Patriotic Michael... 2012/09/15 22:51:14
    Patriotic
    +2
    Did he not know what was going on? Did he try and report it to the police? Hell no! Quit making excuses for this bum!
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/09/15 23:47:56
    Michael Ejercito
    He did not witness the abuse himself; Mike McQueary was the witness.
  • Patriotic Michael... 2012/09/15 23:57:14 (edited)
    Patriotic
    +2
    I didn't say he did either. I said he knew about it, which you don't have to see it to be aware that it was happening. He said he was told about it and reported it up the chain. Why didn't he go to the police when nothing was done? Only an idiot would justify this man's actions. Any responsible adult would report child rape to the police. he was more concerned with his program's reputation.
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/09/22 15:18:34
    Michael Ejercito
    Why could he not rely on his superiors to ensure something was done?
  • Patriotic Michael... 2012/09/22 17:55:53
    Patriotic
    Because he is an adult perfectly capable of calling the police if no action is taken, which there wasn't. I can't believe you would ask me such a silly question.
  • Michael... Patriotic 2012/10/06 18:06:13
    Michael Ejercito
    Would not the same argument apply to McQueary?

2014/08/21 10:20:47