Paterno To Remain in Brown Hall of Fame: Did the University Make the Right Decision?

Sports 2012/09/15 18:57:30
Late Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno's reputation has taken a hit of epic proportions in the last year. The statue honoring him outside of Penn State was removed, as was his spot on a famous on-campus mural. The NCAA also took it upon itself to vacate his wins and college football records. Paterno's alma mater Brown University, however, has opted to take a different route.

The Ivy League university has chose to have Paterno remain in its Hall of Fame, despite damning evidence that linked him to knowing about child molestation going on at Penn State and refusing to take proper action. Brown did remove Paterno's name from awards he won while at the school. He attended Brown from 1946-1949 and was inducted to its Hall of Fame in 1978.

Paterno passed away in January, but not before his legacy became completely tarnished due to the Jerry Sandusky scandal. His family has vehemently denied the accusations brought against him. Brown has received heavy criticism for keeping Paterno in the Hall of Fame, but it was agreed upon by its governing board.

Read More: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/joe...

• Hawkeye 2012/09/15 21:14:52
    Hawkeye
    +8
    "The decision to remove the statue came ten days after the release of a scathing report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh which found that Paterno had conspired with three other top Penn State administrators to conceal allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. According to the Freeh report, the motive was self-serving: to shield the university and its football program from negative publicity."

Whatever the motivation or cause for Paterno's actions,, they were nevertheless IMMORAL and ILLEGAL and the VICTIMS of his actions were Children.. ACTIONS have consequences and Paterno's are no different..

If EVER there was a PRIME example of that old saying,, " A Lifetime of GOOD works can be cancelled out by ONE heinous deed.." THIS is one of them..

Paterno should be a lesson to ALL of us.. "All that is necessary for EVIL to Flourish is for GOOD men and women to stand by and do nothing.."..

ALL the MORE so if that man or woman takes a willing part in HIDING it from view..

• bye TheBorg 2012/09/16 23:10:32
    bye
    I'm not disagreeing I asked where are all the other guys who are alive who saw it and did nothing? Gee where is their conscience? That McQuary or whatever his name was he should have gone to the cops to heck with waiting till the next day. He should have walked in an said WTF...but he didn't he should get a lot of heat!
  • Ron Bur... TheBorg 2012/09/16 23:08:06
    Ron Burgundy "Gentleman Lover"
    he didn't defend anyone,he didn't even like jerry
  • Glen McLeod 2012/09/16 17:50:28
    Glen McLeod
    Well, i would say most people are gonna say no to this one.people gonna
  • Warfinge 2012/09/16 17:43:10
    Warfinge
    Being dead does not erase his sin of knowing children were being abused while he was afraid to rock the boat of his success by exposing it. He is the face of tolerance of child molestation. How could anyone with a soul allow it?
  • bye Warfinge 2012/09/16 21:49:43
    bye
    Had he turned him in it would not have ruined his reputation, hurt the college a little but doing the right thing can be difficult. I know what happens to whistle-blowers having been one it's not pleasant. I don't know what the man knew and when he knew it. The young man who discovered it was afraid for his job and obviously had a weak conscience more blame rests on him. I would have called the police and let the chips fall..my job well then crap...but I'd be able to sleep nights. We can't ask the coach though he's dead so it's pile on and point fingers which happens in these things.
  • cheetah... bye 2012/09/16 22:10:38
    cheetahlover156
    +1
    I think had Paterno turned in Sandusky he could've been more honored as saving children from molestation but we'll never really know why he didn't do more. I could never live with myself allowing a child molester go and continue harming kids.
  • bye cheetah... 2012/09/16 22:20:17
    bye
    I agree but I don't have enough facts to pull the switch to the electric chair on this one.
  • Warfinge cheetah... 2012/09/17 03:16:36
    Warfinge
    All I know is what was reported. He had witnessed the infamous shower rape of a child and did not call the police. Ever. Period. How can that ever be acceptable?
  • cheetah... Warfinge 2012/09/17 05:15:42
    cheetahlover156
    I never said it was acceptable, it was very wrong and inexcusable never to have reported it however I think Paterno is getting the most heat. The guy who saw Sandusky rape a boy never reported it to the police but he hasn't been arrested or criticed. Again, I'm not trying to defend either but both never reported it even though they knew it happened. I don't understand how they allowed it to happen.
  • Callaway 2012/09/16 17:41:22
  • Patric Callaway 2012/09/16 18:09:40
    Patric
    hell gona have a rapist accomplice in ?
    how bout put the rapist in also, they can team up ,,,
  • Callaway Patric 2012/09/16 20:44:06
    Callaway
    Come on it's Brown for Christ sakes not the National College Football Hall of Fame I don't think anyone other than maybe a Brown alum is going to get too worked up over this. Off topic but isn't OJ Simpson still in the college football hall of fame I know he still is in the NFL HOF?..... just sayin...
  • bye Callaway 2012/09/16 21:51:45
    bye
    +1
    Again lets go after the bad guy and make his life miserable.. and well there should be a big question mark over Joe P but not erase his accomplishments before his bad things. We sure didn't erase Pete Rose or O J Simpson from the record books or the teams he was on because later in life he became evil but the stink is there.
  • Patric Callaway 2012/09/17 00:55:48
    Patric
    regardless of the statuer of the honorary degree , there is no honor in paterno's actions.

as to simpson ? toss that POS in prison ,, whoops, that is just what they did..

and they pulled the heisman from reggie bush for his mom taking an apartment while he was in college.. and as well they should...
  • Callaway Patric 2012/09/17 15:30:35
    Callaway
    I don't disagree with anything you posted however it at some point this gets into that beating the dead horse territory. It seems like much ado about a third tier HOF from a quite small college?? I would have suspected there would have been a bigger dustup about Simpson still in both major HOF's even after all the farcical double murder trial, the civil judgement for the two families that to my knowledge nothing has been to pursue that, couple that with an armed confrontation in a Vegas casino over souvenir memorabilia but yet in both HOF's he still sits.
  • Patric Callaway 2012/09/17 16:31:44
    Patric
    and it is an insult , IMO, to all the HOF guys that simpson in there still..

when is it time to say, that person does not fit our standard and we will no longer associate our organization with him ?

the time is now.
  • damere.riley 2012/09/16 17:27:48
    damere.riley
    He was a great coach, he may have let sandusky touch the kids, he may have watched him do it. Through it all, he was still a great coach.
  • Patric damere.... 2012/09/16 18:11:27
    Patric
    hmm,,, and still you are ok with this type of person being honored ?

just what crime does some one have to commit to not be able to honored ?
  • bye damere.... 2012/09/16 21:53:30
    bye
    But see there is that bit May...who knows, to convict without a trial is to lynch. I think Sandusky should be getting all the bad press not the coach and school. Those at the school responsible in the various trials should get the full weight of the law tossed at them, if found guilty but when someone's head is on the chopping block and they can blame a dead man I see them doing it every time!
  • rand 2012/09/16 17:09:04
    rand
    +1
    He's in the Hall of Fame for his efforts in sports, not for being an ethicist. Paterno thought he was doing the right thing. He failed, but we'd all be vilified if we were measured against a pure standard. I'll "judge not lest" I be judged.
  • Patric rand 2012/09/16 18:12:46
  • rand Patric 2012/09/17 02:17:47
  • Patric rand 2012/09/17 16:33:09
  • rand Patric 2012/09/18 04:19:20
    rand
    +1
    It'd be full to the brim all right. We could make the museum shaped like a toilet.
  • Patric rand 2012/09/18 09:42:36
    Patric
    +1
    just goes to show ya,

the " idols' of the media , are just as down and dirty as the rest of life...
  • bye rand 2012/09/16 21:54:49
    bye
    +1
    There you go, he never had a trial we don't know what he did or did not do until all the chips fall where they do no one will have a clear time line of what happened.
  • rand bye 2012/09/17 02:18:57
    rand
    +1
    I agree, but I'm not sure how we go about trying a deceased person. I say RIP, Joe.
  • rt 2012/09/16 16:49:58
    rt
    He was brought down by hearsay and not proven facts
  • Morrison rt 2012/09/16 21:22:46
  • rt Morrison 2012/09/17 01:12:06
    rt
    Paterno"s own words ??? A vague email maybe. As far as Paterno knew the case was investigated and no charges were filed. He did what he was supposed to do. He notified his superiors. It wasn't his place to investigate Sandusky personally.

Tom Corbett, Pa governor had enough to go after Sandusky long before they did. They made him governor for not stopping Sandusky.
  • Morrison rt 2012/09/17 03:31:05
    Morrison
    Wasn't vague at all. The plan was to contact authorities (child welfare services) and Paterno put a stop to it and made the decision to handle it "inside.". That decision was the wrong one, but I can understand why he made it. "Pride goeth before the fall"
  • rt Morrison 2012/09/17 14:16:26
    rt
    It wasn't Paterno's call on how to handle things. Once the information was turned over to higher authorities it was their call. He was a football coach, not a prosecutor.
  • Morrison rt 2012/09/17 14:51:09
  • rt Morrison 2012/09/17 14:57:51
    rt
    The guy did his job. It was not up to him to prosecute. After the first charges were brought forth the prosecutors said they didn't have enough evidence and dropped it ---- I suppose that was Paterno's fault.

Tom Corbett could have prosecuted after they felt they had enough evidence but didn't because he didn't want it to effect his run for governor
  • bye rt 2012/09/16 21:55:33
    bye
    +1
    Well they were looking for someone to hammer so lets hammer the dead guy. I hear more about the old coach then the guy who committed the crime and that is just plain wrong.
  • Morrison bye 2012/09/16 23:20:32
    Morrison
    You hear more about it because people are simply shocked that folks are willing to minimize and make excuses for a man's behavior because they like him so much. It makes people sick to their stomachs. I talked with plenty of people who don't even have a problem with any sort of covering up and ignoring the crimes. Their feeling is that ONLY Sandusky is guilty of the actual crime. Doesn't matter who knew or even witnessed it. The fault lies *only* with the person committing the crime. This idea I find abhorrent, but not surprising.
  • bye Morrison 2012/09/16 23:21:46
    bye
    +1
    I agree but I'm not a fan of his just tossing my opinion in.
  • Morrison bye 2012/09/17 03:34:38
    Morrison
    +1
    Him getting "hammered" has nothing to do with his death. One could make a good case, based on the FBI investigation, that were he still alive, the hammering would be far more intense.
  • Cantus_bird 2012/09/16 15:49:19
    Cantus_bird
    He had his years of feeling good on the backs of people, events and his rewards in life. Now it's time to let the victims have their time to find the peace in their lives after experiencing such a traumatic event in their lives and if an individual can be the solution to that peace ... being abused sexually is one of the worst things a child, youth can go through and be put through, especially when there are no physical marks to let others know what is going on and in this case, words are just not enough to go on because it's hard enough to face the reality that someone can actually do that to a child or any youth. The years of silence only add to the trauma for the victim ...
  • Patric Cantus_... 2012/09/16 18:14:11
    Patric
    hmm " feeling good on the back ...."
    and he allowed the rapist to feel good on the back side of young children ..

how sick those that chose to defend a child rapist accomplice

2014/07/23 01:47:39