NY Post Writer Defends Racist Rant by Blaming Jay-Z: Who Is the Racist? (Phil Mushnick or Jay-Z)

Sports 2012/05/05 23:56:08
Most people seem to like the Brooklyn Nets’ new logos and color scheme, but one New York Post sports columnist is definitely not a fan. Then again, maybe he just can’t stand the team’s part-owner, rapper Jay-Z.

To go along with their move to Brooklyn, the Nets are sporting a new look: a black-and-white color scheme, which pays homage to the old New York subway signage system, and two new primary logos. Jay-Z, who owns 1.5% of the Nets, played an instrumental role in their design—a fact that clearly makes NY Post writer Phil Mushnick uncomfortable.

Mushnick, who has long been a critic of Jay-Z’s role in the franchise, wrote in his “Equal Time” sports column:

“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”

And it didn’t stop there. As furor erupted over what many are calling his “racist rant,” Mushnick tried to turn the story around and pin the blame on Jay-Z.

He said, “Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand . . . Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers? Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.”

There are certainly legitimate points that can be made about the messages conveyed in hip hop, as well as situations that just cry out for satire, but we think that Mushnick missed the mark on both accounts.

What do you think SodaHeads? Who is the racist? Phil Mushnik or Jay-Z?

Read More: http://gothamist.com/2012/05/04/ny_post_columnist_...

• Anariashki 2012/05/06 14:42:48
    Phil Mushnick (the New York Post writer)
    Anariashki
    +6
    The core of his rant: "I see signs of urban blackness being used in the color scheme of a team situated in an urban location where a significant number of black people live, and that annoys me. I think even a symbolic nod to urban blackness logically requires the inclusion of violence and misogyny, because that's what black people in Brooklyn do."

In response to being called out, he defended his statements as one of the "truths... [that] are hard to read."

If it's not racist, what could he possibly have been trying to say?
  • Bearish... Anariashki 2012/05/06 18:03:05
    Bearish~PWCM~
    +4
    The truth.. If 99% of the crime is being committed by a certain demographic of society(urban blacks) in a said area how is it Racist to talk about the root cause.. I see their new uniform and owners music as a point of pride in a dead end culture.. They emulate those who are already in prison and make role models out of total failures in society..
    Just my opinion, I know you will not agree..
    My point is, If my daughter came home with a black/white kid who spoke English had his pants pulled up and treated my daughter with respect, I would have no problem with him..
    But if he comes over with Ebonics and pants at his knees treating my daughter as a Ho. He will be tossed out on his ass.. How is that racism? Its the dead end ghetto culture Phil is protesting, Not the color of their skin..
  • Latti I... Bearish... 2012/05/06 18:33:50 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    Wrong; 99% of crimes aren't committed by Urban Blacks, stop being a race baiting liar.

"But if he comes over with Ebonics and pants at his knees treating my daughter as a Ho."

Yup; same thing if someone speaking redneck language.
  • Bearish... Latti I... 2012/05/06 19:33:14
    Bearish~PWCM~
    Latrice, It is amazing How you pick and choose what you want out of my statement.

I said "If 99%" Do you not see the word IF in there? I have no idea what the percentage is in the area he was referring to.

I said,, "If my daughter came home with a black/white kid who spoke English had his pants pulled up and treated my daughter with respect, I would have no problem with him".

Does it not say Black/White? I'm a racist because I do not like black and white kids who have no respect??????

If you keep labeling people racist who are just talking about the subject, YOU by your actions and accusations will CREATE RACISM were there is none..

So before you call someone. "a race baiting liar." Maybe just maybe you should read what they are saying and try not to let your hate fog the subject..

I believe you owe me an apology
  • Latti I... Bearish... 2012/05/06 19:47:29 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    Alright; I've re-read your comment and I apologize.

Phil dragged Jay-Z into this nonsense over Logos that had nothing to do with racism.

Comments like this are beginning to irk me.
    http://www.sodahead.com/enter...
  • Bearish... Latti I... 2012/05/06 20:02:00
    Bearish~PWCM~
    +2
    Thank You.. I am blunt and don't hold punches.. Sometimes it gets me into problems.. I can see why you would be frustrated.. But, now I may not say this right. It seems that the loudest representatives of the black community are rather unsavory, And seem to promote bad behavior.. This is the reason I don't care for the JZ crowd, Not because of their skin color..
    I believe that a man is a man until they prove otherwise, Black white purple or green we are all Gods children and as long as you treat my family and yourself with respect you are welcome at my table..
  • ExaltedGod Bearish... 2012/05/06 18:36:40
    ExaltedGod
    +1
    Why can I only like this once?
  • Bearish... ExaltedGod 2012/05/06 19:36:30
    Bearish~PWCM~
    I knew I would be called a racist.. But thanks for seeing my point
  • S123 Anariashki 2012/05/06 18:50:08
    S123
    It's more like "I see signs of urban blackness being used in the color scheme of a team created by a black rapper, and that annoys me. I think even a symbolic nod to urban blackness created by a black rapper logically requires the inclusion of violence and misogyny, because that's what he raps about." Of course that still doesn’t make any sense.
  • notokand 2012/05/06 14:39:40
    notokand
    Goodness.
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/05/06 14:18:30
    Neither
    Christopher Kirchen
    +2
    I'm sick of racism being blamed for everything that's wrong in a nonwhite person's life.
  • Andrea 2012/05/06 13:19:52
  • (>*~*)>... Andrea 2012/05/06 20:17:10
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +1
    Because he's Jay-Z lol
  • Andrea (>*~*)>... 2012/05/07 03:09:53
  • afro.ninja.rockstar 2012/05/06 13:09:33
    afro.ninja.rockstar
    Jay-Z is king. the end.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/05/06 12:07:45
  • Latti I... Chris -... 2012/05/06 19:02:53
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    How is the logo an indication of racism and truth? If anything Phil brought race into this by whining about Jay-Z because he changed the logo in the jerseys and injected race into it.
  • Chris -... Latti I... 2012/05/07 10:36:45
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/05/06 11:47:30
    Both
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +3
    but we all know only whites can be racist and only blacks can use racists words without repercussion.....this is really a non-issue. the news is the only reason folks are talking about it becuase people love their drama, er, I mean News reports.
  • Joey jerry.a... 2012/05/07 13:37:54
    Joey
    How is Jay-z racist in this situation ?
  • jerry.a... Joey 2012/05/09 12:11:24
    jerry.alan.carroll
    i just could not call one a racist without calling the other one a racist as well.
    have you forgotten the scandal following allegations security at his BRIT Awards afterparty that he had banned white people from entering the VIP area?
    or his inaugural ball rap that goes like this:
    "My president is black, in fact he's half white/So even in a racist mind he's half right/If you've got a racist mind it's alright/My president is black, but his house is all white!"
    sounds racist to me.
  • Vieuphoria 2012/05/06 11:15:17
    Vieuphoria
    +6
    I don't honestly think the guy was trying to be racist. But he made his point in a very foolish and naive way, and should man up to the consequences.
  • Andrea Vieuphoria 2012/05/06 13:21:24
    Andrea
    +2
    How so? He only repeated word for word what rappers say in every song they spit out.
  • Vieuphoria Andrea 2012/05/06 13:31:57
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    word for word? I don't think he did.
  • Andrea Vieuphoria 2012/05/06 14:37:00 (edited)
  • Vieuphoria Andrea 2012/05/06 23:35:15
    Vieuphoria
    Of course you have
  • lilacin... Vieuphoria 2012/05/06 15:52:20
    lilacinfidelus
    +1
    Yes he did. They all speak it, rap it and sing it.
  • Aly Hart lilacin... 2012/05/06 20:21:55
    Aly Hart
    +3
    Really? So you've listened to every song by every single rapper out there to reach that conclusion?

condescending wonka
    Tell me more.
  • Andrea Aly Hart 2012/05/07 03:11:22
  • Latti I... lilacin... 2012/05/06 20:51:26
  • Vieuphoria lilacin... 2012/05/06 23:35:30
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    See: Wonka
  • ddhondo 2012/05/06 11:02:45
    ddhondo
    +2
    His remarks were racist, are racist, and will always be racist. Growing up in the "South" and later working in New York, i found more blatant "Institutional Racism" in the East and Mid-West, because neither race wants or have time to deal with it. The Leadership of both groups have been fostering racism for centuries. And to act like it no longer exist is a moral crime against humanity!
  • Andrea ddhondo 2012/05/06 13:23:06
  • Joey Andrea 2012/05/06 19:08:54
    Joey
    +1
    A lot of red necks in the South Call each other rednecks . but if a black person called a those same people red necks they would have issues.
  • Andrea Joey 2012/05/07 03:12:37
    Andrea
    I wouldn't care. I believe in equality. I can't very well get mad when someone calls me a redneck if I go around doing it. See, I do not have the only I can mentality that many blacks have.
  • Joey Andrea 2012/05/07 04:31:08
    Joey
    Funny it seems that many Jeff Forthworfy fans would not agree with you . Many fat people call each other fact but if a skinny person calls them that would get upset. However it is a very telling that you imply that only black people have this quirk . but Many white people are like you and over look things unless black people do it . ( see what I did there )
  • Andrea Joey 2012/05/07 13:12:38
    Andrea
    Exactly my point. If a fat person can do it so can I. If a black person can do it so can I. If a smoker can joke about them killing themselves so can I. I over look a lot when many people do many things. When I do not over look it is when things like this happens. THEN I speak out.
  • Aly Hart Andrea 2012/05/06 20:22:48
    Aly Hart
    +2
    Did you even read his comment?
    "The Leadership of both groups have been fostering racism for centuries." Key word being BOTH.
  • Andrea Aly Hart 2012/05/07 03:13:30
    Andrea
    And it will not stop until the racial whining stops. When blacks stop making everything about race maybe whites will give them some credibility. No other race or nationality cries that much.
  • Joey Andrea 2012/05/07 04:32:12 (edited)
    Joey
    +1
    Jay-z Showed a new Logo , the Writer story complaining about N----. So how did black people make this about race ?

2014/12/19 00:38:04