NY Post Writer Defends Racist Rant by Blaming Jay-Z: Who Is the Racist? (Phil Mushnick or Jay-Z)

Sports 2012/05/05 23:56:08
Most people seem to like the Brooklyn Nets’ new logos and color scheme, but one New York Post sports columnist is definitely not a fan. Then again, maybe he just can’t stand the team’s part-owner, rapper Jay-Z.

To go along with their move to Brooklyn, the Nets are sporting a new look: a black-and-white color scheme, which pays homage to the old New York subway signage system, and two new primary logos. Jay-Z, who owns 1.5% of the Nets, played an instrumental role in their design—a fact that clearly makes NY Post writer Phil Mushnick uncomfortable.

Mushnick, who has long been a critic of Jay-Z’s role in the franchise, wrote in his “Equal Time” sports column:

“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”

And it didn’t stop there. As furor erupted over what many are calling his “racist rant,” Mushnick tried to turn the story around and pin the blame on Jay-Z.

He said, “Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand . . . Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers? Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.”

There are certainly legitimate points that can be made about the messages conveyed in hip hop, as well as situations that just cry out for satire, but we think that Mushnick missed the mark on both accounts.

What do you think SodaHeads? Who is the racist? Phil Mushnik or Jay-Z?

Read More: http://gothamist.com/2012/05/04/ny_post_columnist_...

• The•Dun... Awesome T 2012/05/08 19:04:56
  • Latti I... The•Dun... 2012/05/07 19:50:35
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Let's us see; hip hop

• Latti I... abubinc... 2012/05/07 04:11:04
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Phil was called out by making it about race, when it had absolutely nothing to do about race. Jay-Z isn't even a race pimp, but he is ignorant in believing he could change the N-word; even if used in a different context.
  • abubinc... Latti I... 2012/05/07 04:17:12
    abubincrazy
    +3
    Change it?
    He CAPITALIZED ( he made some major capital$$$) on N-this, N-that, bitch this, ho that, etcetcetc.
    You may like his music, but that doesn't change the facts.
  • Latti I... abubinc... 2012/05/07 04:34:00 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    Who ever said I enjoyed his music? The fact is the logo had nothing to do about race and Phil injected race into it. The fact is some people use the N word as trying to de-empower it, but that is mis-direction on their part. Using the N-word as how they did in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc...is racist; not the same thing.
  • abubinc... Latti I... 2012/05/07 04:43:35
    abubincrazy
    +2
    I was trying to understand your defense of Jay-Z's capitalizing on race-pimping.
    Changing N-this and that to be a "cool" term? He made a fortune putting out a lot of negative-stereotype glorifying music.
    I believe in capitalism, but I'm no Jay-Z fan.
  • Latti I... abubinc... 2012/05/07 04:53:18 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    I'm only defending him on the sole basis that his logo had nothing to do with race. If this Phil guy had made an article about some in the youth misdirection of the N-Word I wouldn't have had a problem. I would have agreed, but he made it about something that had nothing to do with race.

jay z net logo
  • Joey abubinc... 2012/05/07 12:19:09
    Joey
    +2
    Once more how is that Jay-Z being racist. Do you people just love to blame black people fo anything ?
  • abubinc... Joey 2012/05/08 01:46:18
    abubincrazy
    I didn't say he was a racist.
    I said he was a race pimp.
  • MrFabul... abubinc... 2012/05/08 05:46:38
    MrFabulous47
    +1
    Hey!! You can not say retarded my friend. That is discriminating against the Chromosomally challenged.
  • abubinc... MrFabul... 2012/05/08 20:53:35
    abubincrazy
    Timmuh!
    Yeah, the word police are on me.
  • svenn13 2012/05/07 01:24:03
    Both
    svenn13
    If all nations were full of proud nationalists, we wouldn’t be in such a heaping mess. Japan for Japanese, Germany for Germans, the US for its real founders, you know all those White guys who signed the Declaration of Independence….and the Constitution. Seeing as they only allowed White males to sign it, I’m going to go out on a limb and say they were not looking to create a multi culti hell hole….European melting pot maybe, but nothing more.
  • Latti I... svenn13 2012/05/07 06:34:13
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    America would have never been the most powerful nation without diversity.

black americans revolutionary war black americans revolutionary war black americans revolutionary war black americans revolutionary war america powerful nation diversity black americans revolutionary war
  • Latti I... svenn13 2012/05/07 06:53:09
  • Joey svenn13 2012/05/07 12:21:22
    Joey
    Than they should have never brought a ton of people from other places here . Also no women signed it so I guess they are not real Americans in your terms . And the first person to die defending America from the English was not white .
  • brination 2012/05/07 00:40:40
    Phil Mushnick (the New York Post writer)
    brination
    +1
    jay-z is making history , hes doing something that has never been done.. why hate on the movement
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/05/07 00:09:27 (edited)
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +4
    Seems to me like he's got some latent racism. I think that a part of him really resents the fact that black people make something of themselves.

On the flip side, I resent rappers like Jay-Z because they really don't have anything substantial to say. Young black men all over America kill themselves trying to emulate men like Jay-Z. They think that the thug life is glamourous and sexy. In reality it's a trap that they can't get out of. The worst part is the drugs that rappers advocate. I once heard a man say that in some parts of the world, native tribes would take a double edged blade, cover it in blood and stick the handle in the ice so the blade sticks out. (The blade is the drugs) The wolf (the black community) comes up and licks the blade thinking he's getting something good. He licks and licks and he bleeds and bleeds drinking his own blood and he kills himself without even knowing it.

And people like Jay-Z are advocating this slow suicide. That doesn't make him a racist. Just ignorant. And the drugs are just one part of it. The disregarding of women is killing the black community as well. Promiscuity is glorified, but of course no one tells them about the consequences because there's no sex ed. Black teenagers learn about sex from people like Jay-Z. Then these young black...

And people like Jay-Z are advocating this slow suicide. That doesn't make him a racist. Just ignorant. And the drugs are just one part of it. The disregarding of women is killing the black community as well. Promiscuity is glorified, but of course no one tells them about the consequences because there's no sex ed. Black teenagers learn about sex from people like Jay-Z. Then these young black men and women, they get diseases because they are ignorant. They are ignorant because the system wants them to be. You know? And then they give themselves diseases and they have children that starve to death or they are aborted. It's this self propagating cycle of poverty, drugs, violence and death. Then people say education is the way out. Wrong. The teachers in the ghetto don't care about the kids they are supposed to be teaching because they all have tenure. It's going to take a lot more than education to fix the problems in the black community. The psychology of our culture needs to change.

Somewhere the Klan is laughing. They are laughing because the black community is killing its self so they don't have to.
  • ↓←↑♣→NVL←♣↑→↓ 2012/05/06 23:37:31 (edited)
  • EDWARD G 2012/05/06 23:08:30
    Neither
    EDWARD G
    +3
    They are both a##holes. To take a pissing contest like this and elevate it to a "who's the racist?" contest is ridiculous.
  • T J 2012/05/06 22:21:54
    Neither
    T J
    +3
    My guess is this is Phil Mushnick's attempt at being shocking. He failed. He has a point about Jay-Z's lyrics but it still doesn't give him the right to use that term.
  • Latti I... T J 2012/05/06 22:57:20
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Agreed.
  • Hebsi 2012/05/06 22:12:18
    Both
    Hebsi
    +2
    Mushnick's rant was immature and inexcusable. However, he does make a good point about Jay-Z's profiteering from black stereotypes.
  • Awesome T Hebsi 2012/05/08 18:19:12
    Awesome T
    I like the way you put that, I think I should change my answer to both
  • Pops 2012/05/06 21:39:34
    Pops
    I picked the wrong one.
    Racist = A person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others !
    I have been subject to discrimination for as long as I remember. I grew up in S. Ca. ! Someone called it reverse discrimination ! I said nooo ! It's plan old discrimination !
  • Sexuallobster 2012/05/06 21:35:44
  • Jack the Dude 2012/05/06 21:26:26
    Jack the Dude
    Obviously. The Jay-Z (I dont like him as a rapper, I hate his music) situation is like when white people call white people Crackers or something of that nature, the person is not taken as a racist. If you're racist to your own race its not taken seriously, unless if a black person joined the KKK or if a white person joined Black Panther or something, then they might actually racist to their own race. If you know what I mean.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/05/06 21:02:56
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +4
    obviously Phil is trying to blame Jay-Z for his own racist feelings
  • Meako 2012/05/06 21:01:21
    Meako
    +3
    All he had to say was, I don't like the new logo.. why bring the N word into it? There was no need for such derogatory language and then turn around and say "who me racist".... YES YOU...!!!!
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2012/05/06 20:44:44
    Neither
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +2
    I'm so tired of the word racist. Such a disgusting and vile word yet people toss it around like a hot potato. It was getting too calm around here SH had to throw this out there. I am going to put neither because I don't know either one of these men personally so I refuse to label them as such.
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/06 20:35:08
    Jay-Z
    sockpuppet
    +1
    If Jay-Z disparages women and black people this way, and glorifies violence... he has some issues to deal with, but it doesn't make me mad. The fact that Mushnick made such references doesn't bother me, either.

We either decide on a definition of racism that works for EVERYONE, or we should just shut up about it. Equality means what it says... equal.
  • sockpuppet sockpuppet 2012/05/06 20:36:05
    sockpuppet
    ...and I meant to hit "neither" up there, too... as you can tell by my answer. :O)
  • Meako sockpuppet 2012/05/07 03:36:23
    Meako
    +4
  • sockpuppet Meako 2012/05/07 05:47:18
    sockpuppet
    What about Jay-Z's derogatory language? Does he get a pass for any particular reason?
  • Joey sockpuppet 2012/05/07 12:25:21
    Joey
    +2
    So if a actor , cussing up a storm in a movie . And then later for no reason someone who complains to be a profession cusses for reason that are not related you be cool with it .
  • sockpuppet Joey 2012/05/07 20:51:13
    sockpuppet
    +1
    You know... words don't offend me. I've been cussed at for as long as I remember, and I've NEVER cried about it or sued anybody. I'm a grown-up. They're just words.

We get into trouble when we start chipping away at free speech.

See... if Person "A" is not allowed to use certain words, then Person "B" shouldn't be able to use these words. Otherwise, we're saying that Person "B" is better than Person "A" in some way... and I'm sure we don't want to do that. Do we?
  • Joey sockpuppet 2012/05/08 03:20:08
    Joey
    That is how it has always been , and it floors me how the only time some people have an issue with this is when it comes to black people. Being a former fat person I could make fat jokes with other fat people .Once I drop 40 pounds , I made those same type of jokes and people got upset with me. When call themselves the B word some times however if someone else called the that they would get upset. Think what the reaction would be if Alanis Morissette made pair of Jeans , and someone said why don't you call them B--- Jeans . I don't think people would be attacking her for it like they are attacking Jay-Z.
  • Meako sockpuppet 2012/05/07 12:59:26
    Meako
    +2
    You don't like his music dont buy it... If the language is that bad why use it then?.. Just because you dont like a logo tha he picked does not mean you can go on a racist rant, what an idiot..
  • sockpuppet Meako 2012/05/07 20:44:01
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Maybe you're missing the point intentionally. When BOTH Mushnick and Jay-Z use the same words, why is one being criticized, and not the other? Is Jay-Z special, in some way?
  • Meako sockpuppet 2012/05/07 21:21:01 (edited)
    Meako
    Mushnick said this:

HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET ALL THAT, BECAUSE YOU DONT LIKE A LOGO... BUT NOW HE IS WISHING HE HAD NOT SAID ANYTHING... He pissed off a lot of African Americans that don't use that kind of language...

this logo had NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE...

wanna jay-z hip logo pissed african americans language logo race
  • sockpuppet Meako 2012/05/07 21:57:48
    sockpuppet
    +1
    It's not the logo that he dislikes... it's Jay-Z. He's disrespectful to blacks AND women... particularly black women. Now there's an uproar over this white guy for criticizing him about these very things-- and rather than seeing it for what it is, it's being turned into another "racist white guy" issue.

Obviously, Mushnick is talking about this other guy... not espousing racist beliefs. Obviously, he doesn't have 'gangsta' attitudes. He doesn't use that kind of language, himself. If you don't see this, it's because you don't want to.

2014/12/18 07:16:16