NY Post Writer Defends Racist Rant by Blaming Jay-Z: Who Is the Racist? (Phil Mushnick or Jay-Z)

Sports 2012/05/05 23:56:08
Most people seem to like the Brooklyn Nets’ new logos and color scheme, but one New York Post sports columnist is definitely not a fan. Then again, maybe he just can’t stand the team’s part-owner, rapper Jay-Z.

To go along with their move to Brooklyn, the Nets are sporting a new look: a black-and-white color scheme, which pays homage to the old New York subway signage system, and two new primary logos. Jay-Z, who owns 1.5% of the Nets, played an instrumental role in their design—a fact that clearly makes NY Post writer Phil Mushnick uncomfortable.

Mushnick, who has long been a critic of Jay-Z’s role in the franchise, wrote in his “Equal Time” sports column:

“As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots — what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new “urban” home — why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment? Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!”

And it didn’t stop there. As furor erupted over what many are calling his “racist rant,” Mushnick tried to turn the story around and pin the blame on Jay-Z.

He said, “Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand . . . Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers? Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.”

There are certainly legitimate points that can be made about the messages conveyed in hip hop, as well as situations that just cry out for satire, but we think that Mushnick missed the mark on both accounts.

What do you think SodaHeads? Who is the racist? Phil Mushnik or Jay-Z?

Read More: http://gothamist.com/2012/05/04/ny_post_columnist_...

• PkBrave16 2012/08/13 16:33:33 (edited)
    Neither
    PkBrave16
    While I I can see his argument, there is no denying from reading the stuff he has written that Phil Mushnick is a pompous, condescending d-bag and it's about time his arrogance got the better of him. It has been tabooed for as long as anyone can remember for white people to use the N-word in a public forum in any context, and Mushnick thought that unwritten rule did not apply to him. Well he found out the hard way that he's not above anything.
  • Selketskiss 2012/05/10 20:47:49
    Neither
    Selketskiss
    That crap is funny...LOL
  • mr.swaggerlicious 2012/05/10 07:51:28 (edited)
    Jay-Z
    mr.swaggerlicious
    +1
    Jay is just provocative. on a scale of ten i would say his degree of racism is like two.
  • brunyon 2012/05/08 19:43:22
    Jay-Z
    brunyon
    +3
    Jay-Z is a bitch
  • mr.swag... brunyon 2012/05/10 07:23:00
    mr.swaggerlicious
    +2
    i wish you could put some thought before you make statements, anyways that's your bitch opinion
  • brunyon mr.swag... 2012/05/10 12:35:29
    brunyon
    +2
    There was much thought behind that opinion. I am just saving everyone from having to read the long list of reasons why Jay-Z is a bitch. Since I am in no mood to write a series of books about the subject I shortened it to the profound and true statement. Jay-Z is a bitch.
  • Awesome T 2012/05/08 17:57:36
    Neither
    Awesome T
    +3
    I don't think neither is racist, Phil did make some good points. I personally think everybody need to stop using that word and I don't care what color you are or how you change the spelling its the same thing.
  • Buoyant Leadraft 2012/05/08 16:47:06
    Jay-Z
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +3
    It is looks like a gang members street logo. I am a graphic artist, this speaks volumes. Symbolism is our tool of trade. It reeks of thuggery.
    If you can't see it, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • JDH 2012/05/08 15:39:24 (edited)
    Neither
    JDH
    I don't know either one but based on what was said I don't see racism. Phil Mushnick is absolutely correct in everything that he said. Jay-Z and others like him are the reason the "N word" is still alive but they are obviously doing what they do for money and that is not racism. For some reason many black people like to pay other black people to say n**ger over and over again and then they get mad when it is repeated by a white person. Go figure. If they want white people to stop saying it then they should stop also and let the archaic racist term die.
  • prosperhappily 2012/05/08 15:38:50
    Phil Mushnick (the New York Post writer)
    prosperhappily
    +2
    I don't know much about Jay-Z cuz I don't pay any attention to Rap.

But, I've come across Mushnick's writings from time to time. I usually walk away with the impression that he's an idiot.
  • Uranos7 2012/05/08 09:20:45
    Uranos7
    +2
    I am going to say Phil but he does have a point about the image rappers portray, being negative although in this case I think he just brought it up to defend his own racist remarks.
  • Arse-Whole 2012/05/08 04:10:46
    Neither
    Arse-Whole
    +4
    "Racist" is thrown around so loosely these days the word itself has lost all viable meaning. Calling Mushnick racist in this scenario is saying he thinks all black people are like Jay-Z. They're not. He has an issue with Jay-Z's individual character and he's voicing his opinion. He's a dumbass that should have kept his mouth shut, but not a racist.
  • Autumn 2012/05/08 00:50:37
    Autumn
    Please don't yell at me when I say this, but I'm going to be completely honest. Jay-Z is black, so that gives him special permission to say the N word. Because he is black, the majority of the offensiveness goes away. That's how our society works. Phil Mushnick is white. If he tries to say the N word, that peels back old wounds, and he is attacked.

Because I'm black, and I was raised by a black family, my instinct is to side with Jay-Z. Hip-Hop is dominated by the black community, and therefore the singers and rappers can say whatever they want about black people. I'm not saying I approve of it, but it doesn't bother me like it may bother others. In the black community it's all considered the "inside joke" without the joke part. And in no way am I saying every black person uses this logic, but many many many black people do. I'm not trying to be racist, I'm saying that's the truth.
  • Angecael 2012/05/08 00:14:49
    Jay-Z
    Angecael
    +2
    Jay-Z does use a lot of insulting words in his rap. 8l
    Then again so do most rappers.
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/05/07 22:21:51
    Neither
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +2
    i think they're both estupid
  • Krystle 2012/05/07 21:53:52
    Krystle
    He could have went about this a different way.
  • Superman 2012/05/07 20:45:58
    Neither
    Superman
    +2
    OK, lets be fair here.

The Mushnick take on the logo is off base. As boring of a logo as it is (and I'm a guy that loves simple classy logos) I don't think much racially of it. I think the Mushnick opinion of the logo is based more on who designed it and he's wrong on its intentions.

That said, I think the Mushnick position on Jay Z and rap music in general is a fair opinion and a discussion worth having. I don't completely agree with him, but there is something to be said about music that often throws around violence, mysogyny and harsh racial language in a positive light. This is one of those discussions that a race forward society wouldn't shy away from, a discussion where people wouldn't label the person bringing it up as racist so they could go home for the day. Thats lazy and it doesn't do the issue any service.
  • Arse-Whole Superman 2012/05/08 04:15:58
    Arse-Whole
    +1
    Excellent insight. I couldn't put it into words. It's impossible to object to anything anymore without that magical word getting thrown out at the drop of a hat. Not that race has anything to do with the jersey designs, but who are we kidding? The NBA's immediate base is mostly black anyway. Mushnick should have just kept his mouth shut. Lose - Lose for that guy.
  • keliffa 2012/05/07 20:18:16
    Neither
    keliffa
    +1
    It was a racist rant nd this guy clearly has a problem with a rapper owning stake in a team- but Jay Z does throw around the N word and women are not exactly respected in rap lyrics.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/05/07 19:51:25
  • ..tisha... 2012/05/07 19:32:57
    Neither
    ..tisha...
    Well, the logo does suck- from a graphic designers point of view. And I can see where Mushnick is coming from, he may have said it in a bit of a tactless way. But when you are rebranding something, and you have a celebrity as a backer....the way someone responds to the brand will be how they respond to it's spokesman.

Take J.C Penney's rebranding with Ellen Degeneres, people responded to the fact she was gay even though it had nothing to do with JCP's rebranding, it received both positive and negative reviews because of the spokesman NOT the new logo and identity.
  • Ben 2012/05/07 19:00:39
    Neither
    Ben
    Living in the racist capital of the world, this is just kid talk to me.
  • Proggy 2012/05/07 18:41:24
    Proggy
    +1
    Mushnick is total douchebag. I have family in Yonkers and when I visit there I really hate running into (not just other Jews) but people like Mushnik. If he have a personal axe to grind then he should get together with Jay-Z and address that situation. But he showed a complete lack of professionalism to actually write something like that.
  • johnnyg 2012/05/07 18:35:57
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/05/07 17:54:25
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY; KEEP YOU BIG MOUTH SHUT! BAMBI AND HER MOM
  • HK5SBR BIG BAD... 2012/05/07 18:25:08
    HK5SBR
    +1
    Agreed.
  • BIG BAD... HK5SBR 2012/05/07 19:25:03
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +1
    Thank you,
  • Arse-Whole BIG BAD... 2012/05/08 04:18:57
    Arse-Whole
    Dude, you stole my avatar. But I can't blame a man for good taste.
  • Heptarch 2012/05/07 17:10:58
    Neither
    Heptarch
    +5
    I don't think either is racist necessarily. I think Mushnick brings up some good points, but could've picked a better way to bring them up or a better medium within which to do so.
  • Lanikai Heptarch 2012/05/07 18:03:14
    +3
    Oh crap, we agree on something.
  • Heptarch Lanikai 2012/05/07 18:08:05
    Heptarch
    LOL Hey, maybe next time you'll believe me when I say I'm a moderate Independent and not a Liberal, huh? ;)
  • Lanikai Heptarch 2012/05/07 18:09:14
    +1
    Never know, I adjust ideas about people all day long.
  • Heptarch Lanikai 2012/05/07 18:28:14
    Heptarch
    Fair enough. At least now you know that I have beliefs that aren't Liberal, which is what I say every time to right wingers who insist I'm a Liberal based on one statement.
  • Awesome T Heptarch 2012/05/08 18:02:48
    Awesome T
    You took the words right out my mouth
  • Heptarch Awesome T 2012/05/08 18:07:31
    Heptarch
    Glad you agree. =)
  • TC1116 2012/05/07 17:04:25
    TC1116
    +1
    Ok - Jay-Z is not too bright...color scheme to pay homage to the old subway signs? The color scheme and the two primary logo's are proof that he shouldn't have had anything to do with their design. I also can't stand when ANYONE uses the "n" word - and think that it is a ridiculous double standard that certain African Americans use the word like it is going out of style, referring to others of their race. But the comments made by Mushnick were over the boundaries and definitely came across as racist. Bad taste on Jay-Z's part, really wasn't.
  • caius madison 2012/05/07 16:31:24
    Both
    caius madison
    +2
    Phil should've known if you're white you can't say anything about racial remarks, apparently until the end of time peopl who are long dead or nearly dead have made me the target of reverse applied racism for the rest of my existance (I'm white and male). However, I think that Jay-Z has put his foot in his mouth before, remember the TRL incidents? He isn't quiet about his disapproval of certain racial groups.
  • Alexis82 2012/05/07 16:31:21
    Jay-Z
    Alexis82
    Why would he want a teams known as N****rs, then cheerleaders known as h**s or b****es? Knowing that there are other races playinn in the league and the team for that matter. It's as if he's just wanting to start drama.
  • Proggy Alexis82 2012/05/07 18:42:58
    Proggy
    +2
    I think you need to go back and reread the article again, then edit your comment.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/05/07 16:28:31
    Neither
    Margaret Jacobson
    NOBODY should be called N....R word, A woman is NOT A HOES......B.....ES.............. thing should NEVER ALLUDED TO..........EVER BY ANYBODY.......THOSE DAYS ARE ":SUPPOSED TO OVER"

2014/07/23 11:20:47