Nickelback Responds to Black Keys Diss: Funny or Sad?

Music 2012/01/10 06:48:55
Nickelback has dealt with a lot of crap over the years -- half of it has been their music, and the other half is people making fun of their music. So how are they still running strong against all odds? A sense of humor doesn't hurt. The band recently responded to a harsh diss from Patrick Carney, the Grammy-nominated drummer of the Black Keys, with a little bit of snide humility.

Carney originally told Rolling Stone, "Rock & roll is dying because people became O.K. with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world. So they became O.K. with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be s---." Nickelback later tweeted, "Thanks to the drummer in the Black Keys calling us the Biggest Band in the World in Rolling Stone. Hehe." How do you feel about everyone hating on Nickelback?

nickel back

• Medulla Oblongata 2012/01/10 16:44:59 (edited)
    Funny
    Medulla Oblongata
    +8
    I don't get why they get so much hate. It's one thing to dislike their music, everybody has different musical tastes, but to just blatantly hate a band with no rhyme or reason (a a majority of the "haters" hate because it's "cool")? I don't get it.

Personally, I love Nickelback. Yes, a lot of their songs tend to sound exactly like the song before it, but I listen more for the lyrics, anyway. I'm a proud Nickelback fan and if that makes me a "loser" or whatever the haters are calling us, then so be it.

Also, Chad looks good with his hair cut shorter.

• Bronti 2012/02/05 14:46:50
    Funny
    Bronti
    I don't really care what they say, to one another. I'm only interested in the music.

Luv... The Black Keys.
  • crzyaq 2012/01/31 17:31:07
    Funny
    crzyaq
    Let them play their music. I don't really like Nickelback myself, but I like a few of their songs.
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/01/13 20:03:15
    Funny
    TheMadChameleon
    I like how they handled it with class. Nickelback isn't exactly the world's GREATEST band, but they're not bad, really. They've got some pretty good songs.
  • Tay 2012/01/13 02:29:46
    Sad
    Tay
    I love Nickelback.... :)
  • Get Bashed 2012/01/12 17:36:15
    Funny
    Get Bashed
    I am not a Nickelback fan myself, but it is good to see they didn't come back with negativity as most would. Again, I'm not a fan, but I'm glad they are living their dream...as I hope everyone gets to!
  • Queen Anne's Revenge 2012/01/12 09:30:58
    Sad
    Queen Anne's Revenge
    I'm not really sad about it.. but I don't really get it?
    I've heard a lot of bands that supposedly were rock bands, that were way worse?
  • Jerry 2012/01/12 01:56:48
  • Calvin Harris ✌ 2012/01/11 22:53:28 (edited)
    Sad
    Calvin Harris ✌
    They're not THAT bad. D: However they are NOT rock stars. I like a couple of songs.
    As for the Black Keys, I love them. I'm surprised with people here asking "who are the black keys?" :O
  • Yaati 2012/01/11 13:14:46 (edited)
    Funny
    Yaati
    I'm glad they took it like good sports instead of being hostile, defensive, and angry.

I'm not an avid listener of Nickelback, but I guess in my own way I'll always be a fan because the song "Hero" from the Spider-Man 1 soundtrack will always ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.

Never got the hate they get, either. I get the feeling some people will hate "just 'cause".
  • the fuze 2012/01/11 12:28:22
    Funny
    the fuze
    +1
    I always appreciate when people can sit back and laugh at themselves... it must just piss the "haters" off even more.

I'm not a huge fan of Nickelback, but I do like some of their stuff, but because of this story, I will probably listen to them/buy their music even more.
  • Cherry Boy 2012/01/11 09:54:09
  • jade 2012/01/11 08:52:55
    Sad
    jade
    I meant funny .I don't like nickleback there new songs seem horrible though I have only heard "Bottoms up " but it is not a good indicator that the album will be bad .However some of there songs are not so bad ,Rockstar,Never again ect ,it seems that a lot of people hate them just because it is the cool thing .Good on chad for making something funny out of a diss .
  • MICHY 2012/01/11 07:39:23
    Funny
    MICHY
    Can't we just live in harmony?
  • bundy 2012/01/11 06:43:05
    Funny
    bundy
    bad bands always hate the good bands only because they wish thay were that good why else would thay talk about them all the time. go nickelback got to love them
  • Hydro39 2012/01/11 05:11:43
    Sad
    Hydro39
    I hate the way they get treated,Nickleback has been around alot longer than the black keys and I like they're music alot, I picked sad because someone should make them feel like s***,The way I see it is their just jelous of them and their success.
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2012/01/11 04:29:23
    Funny
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    Nickelback is not among my favorite bands, but I'm confused at how it's become so common for these indy/hipster rock band members to take aim at them. It's quite ironic that an indy rocker would do something as "mainstream" as insult Nickelback, and their response was decent.

While Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black are called "musicians" it's just silly to hate on Nickelback.
  • Overexposed 2012/01/11 03:17:41 (edited)
    Sad
    Overexposed
    Pahahaha...
    It's funny because the black keys are right!

''Look at my pink giraffe... Eeeuuueeeuueevery time i do, it makes me laugh!''
    pink giraffe
  • Visipunkbot sXe 2012/01/11 02:08:42
    Sad
    Visipunkbot sXe
    Patrick Carney is absolutely right. BUT, Nickelback isn't bad. They definitely don't suck. They're just really generic. Their sound in all of their songs is nearly the same and they haven't evolved stylistically since day one.
  • jacob crim 2012/01/11 01:07:22
    Sad
    jacob crim
    +2
    Its funny because Carney is correct in his "diss" its sad that Nickelback replied acting like it was a shout out.
  • Sakus<3 2012/01/11 00:48:26
    Funny
    Sakus<3
    *Sigh* I love Nickleback!
  • La 2012/01/10 23:57:51
  • Jenn th... La 2012/01/11 18:14:54
    Jenn the Psycho
    I don't really understand the Nickelback dissing :\ I... just don't. They're a LOT better than a lot of crap I hear on the radio.
  • cookie monster 2012/01/10 23:44:09
  • KendraTaylor 2012/01/10 23:32:24 (edited)
    Funny
    KendraTaylor
    +2
    I was actually listening to Nickelback at the time that I read the article. And to be perfectly honest, I like them! would I pay hundreds of dollars to see them, no... but if I got free tickets, I'd be extremely happy. furthermore Chad Kroeger is one hot man! :/ I mean, it's not like we're talking about Creed...my gawd that was an awful decision.
  • some idiot who thinks he kn... 2012/01/10 23:17:53
    Sad
    some idiot who thinks he knows everything
    haha nickelback. what losers.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2012/01/10 23:06:09
    Funny
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +2
    I think this Black Keys dude is just jealous that he's in a band nobody's ever heard of...well, at least I haven't heard of them.

I don't care what anyone else says, Nickelback rocks!
  • Em See fairief... 2012/01/11 15:49:55
    Em See
    I have a feeling that is not the case in this instance.
  • KoryMelzer fairief... 2012/02/10 19:07:25
  • fairief... KoryMelzer 2012/02/10 20:10:37
    To me, grammys and that kind of acadamy type stuff isn't as important as what the listeners like/vote for. I feel the same way about the movie stuff. You watch some or those acadamy movie awards...and most of the winners are stuff that most people haven't seen/heard of.
    Don't get me wrong, just b/c something is popular doesn't automatically make it good (so not a fan of the top 40 these days) but Nickelback has a lot more fans than Black Keys and the fans are the ones buying (or I guess these days it would be stealing) the music. The ones artists should be more concerned with impressing.
    For the record, I don't care what some stupid radio station says, I don't even listen to the radio. A lot of the music I listen to the most is not on the radio. Nickelback just happens to be one of the more popular bands that I DO like. They have some great stuff.
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/01/10 23:04:44
    Sad
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    anything nickleback does is sad
  • abubincrazy 2012/01/10 22:54:55
    Funny
    abubincrazy
    +1
    Opinions, so it's said, are like a-holes.
    Everybody else's stinks.
  • beck 2012/01/10 22:53:16
    Funny
    beck
    +3
    its refreshing to see a band that keeps coming back diss after diss after diss
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/01/10 22:51:01
  • brutusin~ Proud Apetheist 2012/01/10 22:47:56
    Sad
    brutusin~ Proud Apetheist
    +1
    Sadly Nickleback still sucks.
  • BreakingThrough 2012/01/10 22:45:49
    Funny
    BreakingThrough
    +4
    I love nickleback. I have never even heard of Black Keys or the drummer for that fact.
    Nickleback should keep rockin' on :]
  • Orangedragan 2012/01/10 22:45:15
    Funny
    Orangedragan
    Nice comeback, but Nickelback really does suck as far as music goes; there's no denying it. I mean, they're not as bad as JB, but they sure as hell ain't no Beatles.
  • Lady D.J 2012/01/10 22:44:43
    Funny
    Lady D.J
    +3
    I enjoy some of Nickelback's music

who is this "Black Keys" you speak of?
  • aussiemum 2012/01/10 22:44:23
    Sad
    aussiemum
    +1
    I Find it sad that to generate publicity for their newly released song, the black keys need to trash a band that has a track record of putting out hits and filling concert venues. A little of the "Green eyed monster" maybe. (a fact that without stephanie meyer most people would never have heard of the black keys. I am a Nickelback fan and very very proud of it. It is great to see a band that enjoy what they are doing and put out songs that make you feel good.
  • Heywood Jablomi 2012/01/10 22:43:15 (edited)
    Sad
    Heywood Jablomi
    +2
    I hated Nickelback when hating Nickelback wasn't cool.

Really, it's nothing personal. I hate ANY band that can't make two songs that you can tell apart. I hate Creed, Matchbox Twenty, Live, and Coldplay for the same reason. If you've heard JUST ONE of their songs, you've heard their whole damn discography.
  • Pikaboo 2012/01/10 22:30:53
    Funny
    Pikaboo
    +1
    I love Nickelback's older music. :) Their newer music isn't as good though. D: But they're still not a bad band.

2014/04/24 02:55:58