New Study Says Violent Video Games Can Be Good for You: Believable or Bogus?

For years, people have argued that violent video games are bad for society because they can increase aggression and violence among youth. But, according to a new study by Keele University, playing violent games may actually help you by increasing your pain tolerance.

The study by Keele tested 40 volunteers and found that they had a higher threshold for pain after playing a first-person shooter game, as opposed to a non-violent golf game. Each group played for 10 minutes and had their pain tolerance tested by placing one hand in ice-cold water to see how long they could last without withdrawing. The study states that 65 percent of the participants kept their hands in ice water longer after playing the violent video game compared to the golf-playing group of volunteers.

So how does this work? Apparently, while playing violent video games your body goes into a form of 'fight or flight' mode. Your heart rate increases, awareness rises, and you are desensitized from at least some pain, since you are essentially playing a simulation of a dangerous and violent scenario one would realistically never want to be a part of in real life. As a result, the study suggests that violent video games may be a helpful way to cope with pain in the short term. Whether you believe the study's effectiveness or not, shooting game fans now have a new excuse to keep playing on.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-219...

• Apache Dan 2012/09/12 05:19:28
    Apache
    +2
    We have an array of psychometric instruments that assess static & dynamic violent & sexual risk potential. Some forward thinkers have realized the benefits of assessing youth, we have a Psychopathy Check List for youth & other age appropriate measures. Combine these with behavioral observations & clinical interviews the accuracy of predicting risk is significantly improved. Your absolutely right, a longitudinal study using these screening measures & monitoring actual behavioral outcomes is necessary to in the next step of prediction. And, as I'm sure you realize we face public uproar & civil rights prostestors who would argue the results would be used to discriminate against individuals. I understand the pros but when we're talking mitigating risk! I would think this benefits society as a whole, including the potential perpetrator.

Again I rant, sorry, a topic I confront in my real life work so not just a theoretical debate. You sound familiar with the terminology, either intuitively able to analyze the issues or some direct knowledge in the area..not prying but I enjoyed the vent..lolz.
  • Dan Apache 2012/09/12 06:02:55
    Dan
    +1
    Yes, I'm familiar with psychology, and yes have direct knowledge; however, that knowledge is more limited to adults. I sense your wider clinical understanding.

You're absolutely correct, the American Civil Liberties Union would poo poo any study of the kind.
  • Steveth... Apache 2012/09/18 03:25:53
    Stevethinks
    +1
    And, also, the decrease in children's concentration span. A college teacher friend of mine says he can see the difference. He says freshmen begin to squirm in their seat after about 15 - 18 minutes of class lecture. As opposed to 45 - 48 minutes normally in the past.
  • nerak611 Apache 2012/09/18 03:31:31
    nerak611
    yes, why not desensitize thinking processes by changes in the brains chemicals over time?
  • Apache nerak611 2012/09/18 04:09:37
    Apache
    +1
    Do you mean this is a possibility to factor in or what would be yhr harm in desensitization?
  • nerak611 Apache 2012/09/18 04:27:09
    nerak611
    +1
    with studies of the brain coming out regarding the neurotransmitters and stimulation, I wonder if seeing repeated violence over time can change dopamine or seratonin chemicals in the brain, resulting in some sort of desensitizing to the violence based on emotions created while actively engaged. I don't know the answer, just wondering if it could be a factor.
  • nerak611 nerak611 2012/09/18 04:34:59
    nerak611
    +1
    look at cases of fibromyalgia, ( just an example to demonstrate), the connection between the neurotransmitters, mood, stimuli, the spinal cord, which transmit messages to the brain regarding pain, stimuli, and emotions. Fibro is not just over active nerves, but a possible response to those with chronic stress that puts them in a long term state of fight and flight, rapid heartbeat, many have had back or spinal injuries as well. Or thyroid conditions. Thyroid regulates body temp, and sleep, hormones, etc. could that theory be carried over to seeing violence over and over? IDK. I'm theorizing.
  • heirsoftheking 2012/09/10 12:52:50
    Bogus
    heirsoftheking
    +2
    They might help you understand that the world is a bad mean place, driven by all kinds of unseen demons. But these video games will never solve the world's problems.

Another crappy study from the UK. Why do you think my ancestors left the UK centuries ago?
  • Robin 2012/09/10 12:20:38
    Bogus
    Robin
    +1
    Let me guess.... Homeland security determined this right after they alerted the public to be on the lookout for a zombie invasion
  • Steveth... Robin 2012/09/10 14:54:31
    Stevethinks
    +1
    Ha ha ha ha
  • it'skrissie!d:) 2012/09/10 11:35:31
    Believable
    it'skrissie!d:)
    Okay, when I am playing a violent video game that involves guns, I am all over the place. And what I mean by that is that my plan is to run, hide, shoot anything that moves, and then become really daring, get out there, and just shoot everywhere. In circles. It really has taught me some really great life lessons. When someone's wearing red, it usually means they are the bad guys. Oh, and when a zombie attack happens, beware of hell dogs.
  • MikeWon 2012/09/10 09:44:48
  • Dyonus 2012/09/10 09:37:07
    Believable
    Dyonus
    I had bad fine motor skills when I was a kid and my doctor told my mom to get me a video game system, so she bought me an SNES. My hand-eye coordination improved by playing the SNES.
  • jabbo81 2012/09/10 08:50:40
    Believable
    jabbo81
    It shows and trains the brain intense situations
  • Miss Anthrope 2012/09/10 07:33:32
    Believable
    Miss Anthrope
    +1
    If I've had a bad day and I'm trying to deal with some stress or rage there's nothing better than shooting zombies or beating the crap out of imaginary computer people to put a smile back on my face :)
  • SICARIO 2012/09/10 07:28:58
    Believable
    SICARIO
  • Asa Core 2012/09/10 06:12:11
    Believable
    Asa Core
    STRESS REMEDY!!
  • TheFightingPanties 2012/09/10 06:05:45
    Believable
    TheFightingPanties
    They can also increase your reaction time, and hand-eye coordination! just don't go onto X-Box live chat if you identify as anything other then a straight, cis-gendered, white guy with an intolerance for stupidity.
  • Rdtourist TheFigh... 2012/09/10 11:35:17
    Rdtourist
    That's always what you need, something to slow reaction time, read your post, your English composition skills sort of suck, IMPROVING is a so much better word than INCREASING.
  • TheFigh... Rdtourist 2012/09/10 17:14:29
    TheFightingPanties
    well considering I taught myself English comp at home, I'm not too worried. You could obviously understand it well enough to get my point, and I'm doing better then many people I've seen on this site and on the internet in general. And I think I'll stick with my original word choice, since I see no reason 'improve' is any better then 'increasing' except that you just wanted something to nit-pick.

Funny you chose this comment to pick on and not the one right below where my Friend Miss Gothica Night Horror has multiple 'errors', or the one above where it's just two words in all caps with several exclamation points. Troll in the dungeons perhaps?
  • Rdtourist TheFigh... 2012/09/11 16:10:33
    Rdtourist
    I rarely comment to trolls or the incompetant. I stiill insist that a longer reaction time is not better than an improved one.
  • TheFigh... Rdtourist 2012/09/14 04:59:47
    TheFightingPanties
    I was wondering if perhaps you were trolling. The faster you react in real life may not help every single day, no, but goodness knows the times when it does, boy does it ever. Just off the top of my head I can think of three situations that it'd be great to have. (street harassment and/or attack, car crash, child falling)
  • ☣Lady Gothika☣ ™ 2012/09/10 05:45:33
    Believable
    ☣Lady Gothika☣ ™
    YES!!!!! Great for stress! i love cutting peoples heads off on skyrim when im mad!! xD
  • kashifv 2012/09/10 05:31:28
    Believable
    kashifv
    Of course violent videogames are good for you. Duh
  • Dan 2012/09/10 05:01:21
    Believable
    Dan
    After a stressful day, what can be more relaxing than shooting your stress? Beats going postal.
  • KingdomNow 2012/09/10 04:47:22
    Believable
    KingdomNow
    Humans are naturally contentious. Fighting is as natural as breathing and in our blood.
  • BobStrauss 2012/09/10 04:17:34
    Believable
    BobStrauss
    Violent parents are bad, and more prevalent.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/09/10 04:12:29
    Believable
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +2
    I always thought they were good to work your aggression out on.
  • RhettDempsey-Taylor 2012/09/10 03:39:52
    Believable
    RhettDempsey-Taylor
    +1
    I think what some radical church groups and others of that nature disregard about video games is the social aspect. Yes, games may allow for stress relief or general happiness, but they also bring people together, forging friend groups and make people feel 'included'.
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2012/09/10 03:24:53
    Believable
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +1
    I enjoy MW3 it relieves stress,unless I get killed to many times then I just get pissed off lmao..I think it helps with concentration,and teaches you strategy..I have a lot of pain tolerance lol But I dont think the games helped much,I think that came from having kids..
  • Small man big mouth 2012/09/10 03:18:27
    Believable
    Small man big mouth
    +1
    Backs to the wall, slice the pie, watch your six!!
    On a side note violent vid games do not make people violent that's bs. We played extremely violent and gory imaginitive games like war, cops and robbers, and we never got locked up for violent crimes or whatever. That's just sissy whiney limp-wristed, scared, liberal communist progressive rhetoric
  • Morrison Small m... 2012/09/10 04:01:40
    Morrison
    +1
    Hate to break it to you "small dude" - but the anti game violence legislation push is coming from the religious Right. Derp.
  • Joel 2012/09/10 03:15:55
    Believable
    Joel
    Good for eye-hand coordination.
  • sodabox 2012/09/10 03:15:18
    Believable
    sodabox
    Better then watching tv/movies because it is interactive, you aren't just sitting their like a vegetable.

tomb raider
  • peaches 2012/09/10 03:02:46
    Believable
    peaches
    You know how much my girlfriend knows about the Italian renaissance from playing Assassin's Creed? Lol yeah, it's possible to learn things from video games as well as stress reducers, and as this study shows, pain tolerance!
  • Melusine 2012/09/10 02:57:39 (edited)
    Believable
    Melusine
    Hehe violence *evil ares face*
  • duns 2012/09/10 02:54:47
    Believable
    duns
    It's my way of "letting-off my steam".
  • Bibliophilic 2012/09/10 01:28:23 (edited)
    Bogus
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Sure, there are benefits to playing shoot-em-up games, but they do not promote logical reasoning skills. I wish that old fashioned adventure games would make a comeback- games with humor, fun and problem solving skills. I occasionally play violent games, but first person shooter games I find to be boring and uninspired. I prefer games that incorporate creative methods of game play or present an actual challenge to the mind (Psychonauts, Braid, Limbo, Broken Sword). Yes it's good to work on the reflexes and a bit of fear can be exhilarating but I demand more from the gameplay experience, personally. Different types of games serve different purposes. Skyrim has done a pretty good job at promoting diverse methods of gameplay beyond the whole shoot, kill, attack quests. Amnesia is the next game on my list... I'm sort of anxious about playing it.
  • Lt. Fred Bibliop... 2012/09/10 02:33:51
    Lt. Fred
    Knights of the Old Republic.
  • lee 2012/09/10 01:10:03
    Believable
    lee
    +1
    its believable that these games evoke a physical response in the gamer, but I would not go as far as to say temporarily having a higher pain tolerance is a good thing (tm).

i suppose its a good thing if you are planing to hurt yourself....

2014/08/21 12:12:22