New Study Says Violent Video Games Can Be Good for You: Believable or Bogus?

For years, people have argued that violent video games are bad for society because they can increase aggression and violence among youth. But, according to a new study by Keele University, playing violent games may actually help you by increasing your pain tolerance.

The study by Keele tested 40 volunteers and found that they had a higher threshold for pain after playing a first-person shooter game, as opposed to a non-violent golf game. Each group played for 10 minutes and had their pain tolerance tested by placing one hand in ice-cold water to see how long they could last without withdrawing. The study states that 65 percent of the participants kept their hands in ice water longer after playing the violent video game compared to the golf-playing group of volunteers.

So how does this work? Apparently, while playing violent video games your body goes into a form of 'fight or flight' mode. Your heart rate increases, awareness rises, and you are desensitized from at least some pain, since you are essentially playing a simulation of a dangerous and violent scenario one would realistically never want to be a part of in real life. As a result, the study suggests that violent video games may be a helpful way to cope with pain in the short term. Whether you believe the study's effectiveness or not, shooting game fans now have a new excuse to keep playing on.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-219...

• Resp 2012/09/09 01:06:59
    Bogus
    Resp
    +2
    More guns! We need more nuclear explosions and plasma weapons! Where is my cluster-ion disruptor?

Violent video games psychologically reinforce war games. I love it!
  • Beat Ma... Resp 2012/09/09 07:11:01
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    And why not? War games are far more exciting. I don't think anyone would play "Hugging, the MMO."
  • Jewellery Gal 2012/09/09 01:06:46
    Believable
    Jewellery Gal
    +2
    Yes BUT like all good things, it's only good when it's kept in moderation. Because once you get addicted to it, you can waste a lot of time on it.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arti...

PS I remember overhearing my friend once joking that he is going to play Call Of Duty until he is 90 years old lol.
  • Texas Johnny 2012/09/09 01:05:32
    Believable
    Texas Johnny
    +1
    When I was a wrestling coach, we had a meet at Fort Bliss at one of their rec centers and they had a combat simulator and even though I am a fair shot and know my way around an M-16, my kids who have played Halo and Call of Duty were cleaning my clock.
  • Royo 2012/09/09 00:33:25
    Believable
    Royo
    +1
    I believe it. Saints Row 3 gets me pumped :D
  • Joe--PWCM 2012/09/09 00:26:09
    Believable
    Joe--PWCM
    +3
    Funny how the only video game that causes people to do things are violent games or rock music ( if you're old enough to remember Tipper Gore). I don't see kids running out playing football until they hurt someone after hours upon hours of playing Madden.

You know what makes kids violent? Parents that are not involved in their life. Pay attention to your kids its that simple. And if they get out of line pushing the boundaries you do what is necessary to get them back in line.

Some people wont be happy until the government dictates every facet of their life, only government approved video games, movies, music, and television. Be careful what some of you loons wish for, you might just get it...
  • mblade909 Joe--PWCM 2012/09/09 03:45:31
    mblade909
    +3
    Thank you. That is what I've been saying for a few years now. I play violent video games to relieve stress, and not do something stupid.
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/09/09 00:22:41
    Bogus
    Picasso's Cat
    +2
    Live the dream, share the fantasy !!!!!

It all depends on the person on how anything affects your mentality.
    Some people are weak minded and start to think fantasy is reality, while others don't even think about the two being the same.
    I don't care if they tested a thousand volunteers, as they were volunteers for the testing and not just random people chosen to test their theory.

The American Medical Association flirted with adding video game addiction to its list of mental illnesses before deciding on “more study” and a firm call for parents to watch their children more closely.
    One question raised by classifying gaming as a potentially addictive behavior concerns withdrawal — specifically, how people react when they lose their fix.

Jerald Block, a researcher and psychiatrist in Portland, has concluded that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went on their shooting rampage at Columbine High School after their parents took away their video game privileges.

"A violent scenario one would realistically never want to be a part of in real life ?????"

Ha, tell that to the parents of those dead Columbine kids!!!!!!
  • Random 2012/09/09 00:16:27
    Believable
    Random
    After a day dealing with the public enduring racism, sexism and random verbal abuses, I like nothing better than to play an especially violent video game. Or a stiff drink, if I don't have to drive anywhere. XD
  • Kigan 2012/09/09 00:14:34
    Believable
    Kigan
    +1
    As has been said by gamers for years - they can be great stress relievers.
  • Dana 2012/09/09 00:10:45
    Believable
    Dana
    It's believable that some people believe in alot of things!
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/09 00:09:47
    Believable
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    They actually help de-stress.
  • Michaela★ 2012/09/09 00:08:09 (edited)
    Believable
    Michaela★
    When Im crazy mad, I play WOW and just go on a killing rampage, it's fun and only a video game. It does help get my annoyance out.
  • Jimbo 2012/09/09 00:02:29
    Believable
    Jimbo
    When I'm mad I play Modern Warfare.
    It makes me feel much better to blow a ton of people away.
  • El Prez 2012/09/09 00:00:15
    Bogus
    El Prez
    +2
    I am really not sure but there was no category for that answer. I don't play them myself and I don't have enough experience with people who do so, a lot. However, it would seem there are at least two possible outcomes. One: You become so hardened to death and destruction that you are blaise about it in real life. Two: You get rid of your agressions and you become a great force for peace. I am not sure what actually happens and it is probably like most human endevours, it depends on what human is involved.
  • kobidob... El Prez 2012/09/09 01:28:39 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    One thing is for certain. People do not behold Jesus who drys tears. Lifts people up. Teaches what is the right thing to do, Frees those that are bound. Teaches that it is better to lose the body saving another saving your soul. That means the games are godless not teaching people to save the soul not teaching people to make your enemy into a friend. Video games are a reflection of the way things are right now.
  • ryan kobidob... 2012/09/09 12:47:44
    ryan
    +1
    ??????
  • kobidob... ryan 2012/09/09 20:14:12 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Do video games teach people what is the right thing to do or teach that a gun is the answer?
  • ryan kobidob... 2012/09/10 22:12:20
    ryan
    It should be neither. I don't mix up education and entertainment.
  • kobidob... ryan 2012/09/11 01:26:08 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Have you ever connected 900 military bases above ground,and who knows how many below with video games that are violent combined with the entertainment industry teaching it calling it good including military ceremonies honoring the dead including memorial day ? Do you see a connection? Educate peoplke about what is right. Jesus did that, but people are blind to it. Jesus is God. Had God warred against those that did bad to him that would have been it for whoever.
  • ryan kobidob... 2012/09/13 14:50:31
    ryan
    +1
    Video games and entertainment is not required to educate. Religion is not required to understand right or wrong as well. Games by definition are entertainment.
  • kobidob... ryan 2012/09/13 16:46:54 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    What you say is true. but God is not found in a religion with a name. God teaches us what his law is with his spirit. That spirit teaches us what is truth that harms no man in the KJV. Don't know what is right, and be swayed by the videos. Recruiters smile when they see desensitized people liking violent video games. That is the devil smiling.
  • Megurine Luka 2012/09/08 23:26:13
    Believable
    Megurine Luka
    Oh yeah!! I still would have kept on playing no matter what though. This game really brings nostalgia.
    Dragons Dogma
  • kobidob... Megurin... 2012/09/09 01:34:07
    kobidobidog
    The real evil people face no weapon made by man can fight. Video games give the illuton that you can. That is a deceptive lie.
  • santa6642 2012/09/08 23:06:49
    Believable
    santa6642
    +11
    Great stress reducers.
  • kobidob... santa6642 2012/09/09 01:35:56
    kobidobidog
    Recruiters look for that kind of mentality.
  • Alex santa6642 2012/09/09 01:59:58
    Alex
    +1
    Unless it's Live. Then that becomes a 50/50 toss up.
  • ellomotto santa6642 2012/09/10 03:22:33
    ellomotto
    Really? They always make me more stressed out because I always freak out when I die
  • the d*ck 2012/09/08 23:05:05
    Believable
    the d*ck
    +1
    If you have to shoot someone to protect yourself
  • Adam 2012/09/08 23:00:29
    Believable
    Adam
    +2
    I LOVE games of all stripes, and I have to be skeptical about these benefits. Pain tolerance increases some in the minutes immediately following playing a game? It's not bad, but wheres the practical application of that little bit of information? I suppose that now, I will tie violent shooters with when I'm recovering or about to start a half marathon run or something, but this is hardly a benefit worth boasting about too much. Other studies provide a stronger link with more pro-social and beneficial cognitive benefits, and of course there are no studies providing evidence of any causal link between violent video games and negative behavior.

One side note: Why on earth are we using a game that looks like it was from the mid-90's when talking about modern video games? You might as well be talking about the latest information technology from Google, and show a screenshot of your AOL homepage from '98.
  • Libertys Martyr 2012/09/08 22:50:12
    Bogus
    Libertys Martyr
    +7
    Neither good for you or bad for you. It's just escapism/fun just like any other recreational pass time.
  • Seraph ... Liberty... 2012/09/08 23:30:17
    Seraph O. Storms
    +4
    Implying that nothing recreational can be good for you.

Such as, say, jogging.

Yet it's undeniable that gaming can increase reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination -- even help a broken hand heal faster.
  • Liberty... Seraph ... 2012/09/09 02:12:39
    Libertys Martyr
    +3
    My bad if that's how it came off. I'm just saying people put way too much emphasis on labeling things, rather than just looking at them for what they are.
  • deborah sletten 2012/09/08 22:45:19
    Believable
    deborah sletten
    +1
    There has been talk and studies for decades, we are influenced by such as these.
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2012/09/08 22:44:23
    Believable
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +2
    I used to suck at violent video games. Then I started playing them. Now I don't suck. See? Good for you.
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/09/08 22:43:47
    Bogus
    SOUL4REAL
    +2
    Bogus!! What does violence do for anyone? Violence promote murder,bad attitude,hostile behavior,all kinds of crimes. When you boil it down if you kill someone you loose your life too because you will go to prison for life or you might get the injection "Death"! Now,tell me again what good does Violence do? You're suppose to live life, not take life!
  • santa6642 SOUL4REAL 2012/09/08 23:07:26
  • SOUL4REAL santa6642 2012/09/08 23:40:13
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    Back at you!! :))
  • YourCom... SOUL4REAL 2012/09/08 23:25:26
    YourCompanionCube
    +4
    Sure. But video games aren't the reason Violence exists.
  • SOUL4REAL YourCom... 2012/09/08 23:48:25
    SOUL4REAL
    +1
    The question was, do you agree with the new study that violent video are good? I don't agree because what ever you watch, can put bad ideas in your head.

2014/12/22 15:39:51