NEW MUSIC NOW: STAFF PICKS > What Were Your Favorite 2012 Albums?

Fergie 2012/12/21 22:00:00

SLIDESHOW: SodaHead's Best Albums of 2012

"Blak and Blu" - Gary Clark Jr. (Fergie's Pick)
1 of 13

Gary Clark Jr.'s major label debut has easily been my most played album this year. Favorite tracks include "You Saved Me" "The Life" and "Bright Lights." But really, just listen to the whole thing.
  1. "Blak and Blu" - Gary Clark Jr. (Fergie's Pick)

2. "The Heist" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (AdriHead's Pick)

"The Heist" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (AdriHead's Pick)

Independently produced, recorded and released, The Heist is the brainchild of Seattle hip hop rapper Macklemore and producer Ryan Lewis. It's the duo's debut studio album and has reached No. 1 on iTunes already.

3. "Coexist" - The xx (Debrice's Pick)

"Coexist" - The xx (Debrice's Pick)

One of our developers has been into this indie electronic pop band since 2009 and says the group's 2012 album "Coexist" is another excellent album.

4. "Now That's What I Call Country Volume 5" (Fef's Pick)

"Now That's What I Call Country Volume 5" (Fef's Pick)

Fef just had the following thing to say about one of his favorite albums: "Yeehaw!" We think it's pretty self-explanatory.

5. "Channel Orange" - Frank Ocean (Fergie's Pick)

"Channel Orange" - Frank Ocean (Fergie's Pick)

Frank Ocean's debut album might have been slightly overshadowed by absurd controversy, which is a shame because it's phenomenal. Check out the tracks "Pyramids," "Thinkin Bout You" and "Super Rich Kids."

6. "Master of My Make-Believe" - Santigold (AdriHead's Pick)

"Master of My Make-Believe" - Santigold (AdriHead's Pick)

Santigold's sound is unique to say the least. Mixing urban beats with her mellow voice and energetic instruments, Santigold is a cut above the rest. "Disparate Youth" is AdriHead's favorite song off the album.

7. "Babel" - Mumford & Sons (Debrice's Pick)

"Babel" - Mumford & Sons (Debrice's Pick)

Debrice says his favorite track is "I Will Wait." The video was shot at Red Rocks and the music is cool.

8. "RE:Generation Soundtrack" - Various Artists

"RE:Generation Soundtrack" - Various Artists

"I love the wide range of artists on this collaboration -- DJs with orchestras, guys like Skrillex working with classics like The Doors. Check out the documentary too." -- Director of Engineering

9. "The Idler Wheel..." - Fiona Apple (Fergie's Pick)

"The Idler Wheel..." - Fiona Apple (Fergie's Pick)

This entire album is incredibly complex and inventive, but above all Fiona wins for best lyrics of the year. Check out the song "Werewolf." In her words, "Nothing wrong when, a song ends, in a minor key."

10. "Uncaged" - Zac Brown Band (Heisenberg's Pick)

"Uncaged" - Zac Brown Band (Heisenberg's Pick)

"The Zac Brown Band reminds us of a parent's responsibility to our children." -- Heisenberg

11. "Fear Fun" - Father John Misty (Fergie's Pick)

"Fear Fun" - Father John Misty (Fergie's Pick)

I've been listening to this New Music Now pick nonstop since June. Father John Misty makes me dance ("Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings") swoon ("Nancy From Now On") and laugh ("I'm Writing a Novel").

12. "Tuskegee" - Lionel Richie (Heisenberg's Pick)

"Tuskegee" - Lionel Richie (Heisenberg's Pick)

"Lionel Richie shows that the soul of country music is in the sentimental stories." -- Heisenberg

13. "If the Stars Are Eternal So Are You and I" - BT

"If the Stars Are Eternal So Are You and I" - BT

"I'm usually not a fan of IDM music, but I loved this album." -- Director of Engineering

This year, we've used NEW MUSIC NOW to introduce you to all of our favorite new releases, and 2012 wouldn't be complete without a "Best Album" list, so here it is. These are the albums that SodaHead staff have been spinning non-stop for the past 12 months, and you'll see it's quite an eclectic mix.

Fef and Heisenberg prefer country tunes, while Adrihead and I (Fergie) lean more indie. Meanwhile, our engineers prefer electronic music. Luckily (or not) for the office, my computer has great speakers, so my co-workers are all very familiar with my picks. Maybe that's why everyone wears headphones around here... Anyway, check out our slideshow of staff music picks and then let us know: What were your favorite albums that came out this year?

2015/07/04 08:32:55