'Morrowind' Gets Remastered: Was It Better Than 'Skyrim'?

Gaming 2011/12/05 14:00:00
In the midst of all the hype surrounding "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim," a team of third-party modders has been greaves-deep in Bethesda's 2002 release, "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind." The Morrowing Overhaul Team is nearing the release of "Morrowind Overhaul 2.0," a mod for the original game that "alter[s] and enhance[s] the visual graphics and the sounds of the game" in order to bring it up to speed for today's visual-hungry audience.

"Morrowind" was widely regarded as the best game of 2002, and boasted hundreds of hours worth of exploration interspersed throughout its enormous landmass. Though technically smaller than its sequel, "Oblivion," "Morrowind" provided a more immersive environment with less randomly generated content. With "Skyrim," developers hoped to bring back the wonder of "Morrowind" while providing the visual integrity of a cutting-edge release.

• jinxsama1 2014/08/11 01:05:58
    No, "Skyrim" is better
    jinxsama1
    The game mechanics of Morrowind were so hard to get into. I didn't find it to be immersive at all just monotonous. Especially the conversations with NPC's where they all say the same thing that everyone else has already said over and over and over....
  • john.spiracos 2013/11/14 16:01:54
  • sharon.vw.14 2013/06/21 21:31:33
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    sharon.vw.14
    +1
    In most respects Skyrim is an arguably better game, but Morrowind felt so much more immersive. I actually felt proud of myself upon completing Morrowind, and the main plot has, I feel, more depth.
    In Skyrim, there were a few aspects of the game I really couldn't get into- specifically the companions and civil war. Many quests I did finish left me with this sense of futility, like there was nothing I could do to help the people in question, and more often than I liked the quests just left things worse off than before.
    Skyrim has far superior mechanics, without question, and the combat is way better than Morrowind's, and there were quite a few other things that made Skyrim technically a superior game, but as I play games largely for plot, I preferred Morrowind.
  • MasterROBO360 2013/03/04 01:56:29
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    MasterROBO360
    +1
    I could write about this for a thousand years, but I'll just give one major reason why Morrowind is superior to Skyrim:

Morrowind, is hard and rewarding,

And Skyrim, is easy and doesn't feel rewarding.
  • Liang 2013/02/11 23:21:38
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Liang
    +1
    I played Morrowind after Skyrim, so the reason I like Morrowind more is definately not because of nostalgia. Skyrim is a great game and definately not a bad game. I love Skyrim's beautiful views and improved combat system. However, I could not feel like I was "in" the game. When I play Morrowind, I feel like one of the inhabitants of Tamriel. I love how each conversation I have reveals a hidden secret or historical info about tamriel, and how each races have unique voices. Skyrim's voice ascting is good, but the elves and argonians sound way too human. And the unique items, I loved dungeon crawling just to get these awesome gear, and stealing daedric armor from the temples. It felt like I was truly living in another world. Whereas in Skyrim it just feels like I'm playing another game. Also it might be just me, but I prefer Morrowind's soundtrack :P I think it fits the atmosphere more. I hope that Bethesda will be able to make another masterpiece like Morrowind, maybe without the dialogs fully voiced, because that just takes away from the plot as less information can be conveyed through voice acting.
  • Tom 2013/02/09 00:14:06
    No, "Skyrim" is better
    Tom
    Skyrim is the better game. It has a better Combat system, a better leveling system and a wonderfull world to explore.The landscape in Skyrim lends itself to the immersion experience ,with huge mountains, both colorfull and dull zones, and a lots of love for details, while Morrowind's landscape ceases to be anything more than small hills halfway through(altough i like the giant mushrooms in Morrowind). The lack of questmarkers and fast travel in Morrowind really gives you a rewarding and selfconcious feeling after finishing each quest, however 90% of the time its just frustrating. I also find the level scaling and loot in Skyrim superior. The fact that you could find daedric armor and extremely powerfull weapons at level 1 in Morrwind just broke the game for the next 40+ levels, running around at level 30 with the same sword you had your hole life. Most opinions I hear about Morrowind being so much better than Skyrim or Oblivion is just Nostalgia based. And please don´t complain about my english, it´s not my native language.
  • sharon.... Tom 2013/06/21 21:32:35
    sharon.vw.14
    +4
    If only Morrowind HAD been small hills- most of the game was spent running around barren mountains.
  • eli 2013/01/31 05:38:10
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    eli
    +1
    Skyrim was fun for the first 3 weeks it just got boring. It doesn't come with a construction set either. I liked morrowind a cheats and make maps I think morrowind a quests are awesome and well thought out but I do love dragons. I have to give it to morrowind
  • Jacko W... eli 2014/08/24 05:12:29
    Jacko Williams
    +3
    Skyrim does have a construction set you idiot...
  • killershrimp 2013/01/30 08:52:00
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    killershrimp
    +5
    Having played all the elderscroll games I have to say morrowind is the best. Skyrim is a beautiful and fun game but there is something souless about it. Even the battle with the most fearsome dragon fell short of what it should of been. The dragon shouts are awesome, and even going back to play morrowind after playing skyrim makes me wish I still had my good ol' fire shout to blast away a damn rat so I don't have to pull out my sword to kill it. But morrowind hands down has the best story line I have ever played, on every quest it is so well thought out. And almost every npc has a backround, you can even ask them about secrets and find out about hidden treasures. Another thing skyrim is missing UNIQUE ITEMS! Where did all the unique items go? They forgot them while making oblivion it seems. I like that oblivian had the umbra but there was no originality to it ( it did have a unicorn though, this was pretty cool) they even brought the udyrfrykte back but only as an invisible troll (maybe they couldn't afford to make something new or they just got lazy). But over all morrowind and skyrim are great games ( even olivion has a pretty good story line), but if you really want to play a game that really goes in depth with quest likes and makes you feel like your watching the best movie ever or reading the most epic tale but don't mind it's a little old, morrowind is the way to go.
  • sharon.... killers... 2013/06/21 21:24:56
    sharon.vw.14
    +1
    What did you think of Arena and Daggerfall?
  • john.sp... sharon.... 2013/11/14 15:08:20
    john.spiracos
    +3
    I play all of the elder scrolls games. i will say morrowind is better then skyrim. but my favorite is daggerfall. i cant beleive i randomly stumble on this site and see someone ask about those two games. battle spire was okay but it fealt like elderscrolls meats doom 64, but daggerfall is the most indeapth game iv ever played, i mean bank loans and ships and all the language skills and the spell list is enormous and each one having an importance....oh yeah and the character creation is delicious with all of the advantages and dis advantages...etc i could go on about this but i wont for many reasons lol i just wanted to say props on bringing those games up in this conversation, anyone who likes elderscorlls but hasnt played the originals is really missing out and have no ideah what the newer games are lacking.
  • Deadlyillness 2012/11/30 23:38:12
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Deadlyillness
    +4
    Though Skyrim may have a easier and less frustrating combat system, and obviously better graphics, Morrowind has better plot development, significantly more immersive npc interaction, and more diversity within play-styles, weapons, armor, magic, and all around character development. Morrowind also had significantly less bugs than Skyrim and less numerous exploits. The quest system was more challenging because all the player had was a journal which they could read to keep track of each detail. The NPC dialogue with even unessential NPCs was far better. If they remade Morrowind with all the same features as the original game and only improved the graphics engine and maybe adapt morrowind's combat to a more action-rpg combat system and the walking/running animations, the re-release would blow Skyrim completely out of the water.
  • lazy_liar 2012/11/29 06:29:04
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    lazy_liar
    +4
    I'm a SPOILER for those kids yet to do a play through, but:
    Coming at the vanilla versions, Morrowind is "better" for me only because I preferred the depth of world with its religious connotations; reincarnation as a now mortal but once demi-god being, and being recognised as such by the big powerful characters like Vivec & Dagoth Ur made playing through the story seem so much more epic than in Skyrim.
    It was totally satisfying building up the character and going from "Outlander" and "N'Wah!" to being the revered "Nerevarine". Having that status justified using exploits to become stupidly powerful imo.
    In Skyrim it is pretty satisfying being recognised as the Dragonborn, but no one ever gives you kudos like they do with Talos, which is a let down. If that priest in Whiterun started preaching the return of Talos, and created a small cult of worshippers for you, then i'd be somewhat satisfied, but Skyrim lacks the overall depth in those matters Morrowind had.
    Check for TES lore about the Towers, how the Thalmor are trying to destroy Mundus and how the playable character in the past 3 TES games have prevented that, and i would have been happy to have that level of depth incorporated into the Skyrim main plot. If the Thalmor story went on after the dragons were sorted, then it wo...

Check for TES lore about the Towers, how the Thalmor are trying to destroy Mundus and how the playable character in the past 3 TES games have prevented that, and i would have been happy to have that level of depth incorporated into the Skyrim main plot. If the Thalmor story went on after the dragons were sorted, then it would be pretty rich and fulfilling for me.
    BUT, and a big but, Skyrim is MEANT to be played as a Nord (don't argue) and in general TES Lore, Nords don't go in for that religious mumbo-jumbo, reincarnation, end-of-the-world prophecy saviour kind of nonsense that Morrowind was built on: they're a hack and slash solution to the world's problems kind of people, so in that respect i think Skyrim is pretty perfect at what it is. Combat is excellent for that kind of character, the story is straight-forward, and EVERY problem can be solved with a sword (almost).
    Morrowind is MEANT to be played as a dark-elf (don't argue) and you would expect an elf to buy in to all that stuff, the politics, the factions, so the story and breadth is appropriate.
    And I think to each game, the story is appropriate if you play the character the game is meant for, and while I'll probably exceed Morrowind gameplay hours with Skyrim (because it is awesome, especially to just pick up and go hunting), i prefer all that cloak and dagger, end of the world, reincarnation, fighting the gods, political choice stuff in a RPG.
  • sharon.... lazy_liar 2013/06/21 21:34:09
    sharon.vw.14
    +2
    Funny, I played Skyrim as a Dunmer and Morrowind as a Nord...
  • Knightmawk 2012/11/18 23:17:13 (edited)
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Knightmawk
    +2
    While the dice based combat in Morrowind was, and still is, horrendous, nearly everything else about it that could have been better was. The land simply had more variety and interesting set pieces to it, especially with Bloodmoon you'd go from somewhere very much like Skyrim is now to some crazy alien world full of giant mushrooms and flying jellyfish to a swamp to a desert and you wouldn't have even gone halfway across the map. On top of that the loot system was better, not in the sense that it worked better it just made the game more interesting, you'd be running from some monster and go hide in a cave and then, suddenly there's some crazy legendary item lying in front of you that you never would have dreamed of. It had more item variety due to the lack of leveled lists. Skyrim fixes that over Oblivion and does a good job with the shouts and everything keeping it alive, but not as good as Morrowind. Then theres the weapons and skills. Morrowind just had more, more spells, more weapon types, the ability to make your own spells and enchantments in a way that Skyrim just doesn't. Skyrim again adds on with crafting slightly, but its lacking the amazing range of, just flat out stuff that Morrowind had. Why any developer would judge that the best course of action between iteration...

While the dice based combat in Morrowind was, and still is, horrendous, nearly everything else about it that could have been better was. The land simply had more variety and interesting set pieces to it, especially with Bloodmoon you'd go from somewhere very much like Skyrim is now to some crazy alien world full of giant mushrooms and flying jellyfish to a swamp to a desert and you wouldn't have even gone halfway across the map. On top of that the loot system was better, not in the sense that it worked better it just made the game more interesting, you'd be running from some monster and go hide in a cave and then, suddenly there's some crazy legendary item lying in front of you that you never would have dreamed of. It had more item variety due to the lack of leveled lists. Skyrim fixes that over Oblivion and does a good job with the shouts and everything keeping it alive, but not as good as Morrowind. Then theres the weapons and skills. Morrowind just had more, more spells, more weapon types, the ability to make your own spells and enchantments in a way that Skyrim just doesn't. Skyrim again adds on with crafting slightly, but its lacking the amazing range of, just flat out stuff that Morrowind had. Why any developer would judge that the best course of action between iterations of a series is to remove things, spears, throwing weapons, a huge range of different varieties of classic weapons like swords axes hammers and daggers, quarter staffs, plus all the different armors and unarmored clothing options. To put it simply Morrowind just gave you more choice of how you wanted to fight and survive. Skyrim gives you sleeveless or not sleeveless and sword, axe, bow or bigger sword, bigger axe, crossbow (and even that one post release). I can understand that it may have been difficult to implement that kind of variety, but I won't believe it's impossible and I think any true Elder Scrolls fan would rather have a finished game then one that came out on time.

That being said, Skyrim definitely has Morrowind beat in story, you could have easily played Morrowind for hundreds of hours without ever realizing there was a story the way they dumped you in with nothing. In some ways that was better, it encouraged exploration and free form, but in the sense of a story driven RPG Skyrim wins. It's also got it beat in combat, only in the sense that dice roll combat is horrible and skill based isn't. And of course Graphics and sound, but considering the time distance between the two games that's like comparing a tomato to a suspension bridge.
  • Danny Knightmawk 2012/11/21 17:31:57
    Danny
    +1
    Can't wait to go back to Solstheim in the new Dragonborn DLC...
  • TheBlitz 2012/10/27 03:52:19
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    TheBlitz
    +1
    I got morrowind when i was 9years old. Yeah probably is it part nostalgia, but when you first go of that ship, make a badass dark elf and walk through this vast open world you just get so happy every time you complete a cool quest. I still play morrwind after 7years. Of course i stopped in between(played Oblivion for 2years, one of the few who loved that game :D) but stopped playing skyrim after 6months, after waiting for it for about 4years, it sucks in comparison with (at least) morrowind.
  • killers... TheBlitz 2013/01/30 08:56:55
    killershrimp
    +3
    It's very true I played morrowind for 2 years straight before finally beating the whole thing and beat skyrim in about 8 monts, the continuous quests are a nice touch but get rather old after awhile.
  • Todd 2012/09/17 13:50:17
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Todd
    +1
    I love Skyrim. But, I recently started playing Morrowind. I have found that I am diving more into lore. Reading more books. Trying to understand the geography of this place. Looking for things. There seems a complexity and underlying matrix of thought that Skyrim and Oblivion seem to lack. I think of Skyrim more as a beautifully rendered first person shooter (sworder ?) lol. I am in love with Morrowind right now. The land feels distinct and the characters have a certain authenticity that the others seem to lack. Almost a genuine nature true to their race? I spent 25 minutes last night reading through one of the dialogues with guild leader. I laughed after I was done. I was interested and actually learned alot about the world. Morrowind makes me think more. I had tried to get into it 2 times before to no avail. But, this time- I took my time and went slow. What a beautifully overlooked world. I think it's the graphics? But, now it's easy to make it look GREAT. I think of morrowind as the book that doesn't have a fancy cover. But, has a rich story. Well the cover has changed with all the graphic updates. Truly making this a mysterious beautiful world with a plot and depth.
  • Mikey Todd 2012/09/29 14:28:40
  • thomas.grevin 2012/09/16 09:19:26
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    thomas.grevin
    Although Skyrim has a better combat system, better graphics, better quest tracking .etc. morrowind was the game I played when I was a kid .. And when I say kid I mean 9..10. I never used to do the main quest. I always created new characters and pretended they had a past story (everyone knew me as the best brewer in the town, then I moved out of Seyda Neen and travelled the pelagiad, then ebonheart .etc.) there was no real relationship system in the game and yet you knew everyone in the town and each npc had as much personality as the main characters did. Everyone stayed where they were so you had no trouble finding them (although that could be a bad thing I guess, that's 1 thing skyrim does do, npc's go to bed). There are so many things morrowind does that skyrim doesn't and simply copying the music doesn't work (even though it's awesome music)
  • Previn Hudetz 2012/08/04 07:27:26
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Previn Hudetz
    +1
    Alright, having played both of these games, I'm firmly in the camp of the Morrowind supporters.

Here's why:

Morrowind has emotional investment in the main character, and Skyrim does not. What does that mean, you ask? Well, Morrowind ties you into the story. Your enemy KNOWS who you are, has a deeply personal history with you, and you have a mysterious, centrally relevant history with the land and people of Morrowind.

But what about Skyrim, some might ask?

Well, sadly, in Skyrim, we're just some random nobody who happens to be able to cast some really neat shouts. Honestly, who really cares? Those who do can have fun collecting butterflies and shouting at horkers while the rest of us play through a game with emotional relevance.

I mean, come on; KOTOR was awesome, and KOTOR II was abominable for the very same reasons.Of course, some people might not agree, but the true RPG fans here know what I'm talking about.

"Nerevar," her voice whispered through the night, "You have returned."
  • Danny 2012/07/27 02:25:00
    No, "Skyrim" is better
    Danny
    I like em both, Skyrim more so for the better graphics etc etc wait… what is this bs spewing from my mouth!? I do like Skyrim better but it's not for the graphics or sound or story (dude you can one shot Alduin) it was because Skyrim was one of the better RPGs to come out of 2010-11. Even though Morrowind had a lot going for it I just prefer the way things are set out in skyrim, that's my opinion and I'm not one of those "OMG SKYRIMZ IZ BEST GME EVAH!!!!! FUS RO DAH LOL!!!!" infact I didn't even Want Skyrim for ages cos it just wasn't appealing to me, Dragons are so cliche! What appealed to me in the end was not only the free-roam/form aspect but the fact that you actually had purpose in the game,
  • jareth.s.darko 2012/07/25 16:25:07
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    jareth.s.darko
    I love skyrim, awsome game! but i still love morrowind a lil more, Morrowind was the first game i played when i was about 6...i sucked at it, but i still loved, although i will say that skyrim has a better combat system and a better way to keep up with your quests :D
  • doctor 2012/07/15 04:04:47
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    doctor
    Without a question, Morrowind is the better game and honestly, one of the best and most entertaining games I've ever played. I got Morowind back in September and I'm still playing it right now. I was bored from Skyrim after about 2 weeks. Morrowind has better gameplay and better quests however, the journal/quest log was jumbled together which was very annoying if you wanted to continue a quest that you started a long time ago (it did have the option to search topics by key word which was helpful most of the time, but not always). One thing I can say for Skyrim is the wabbajack, which is a staff that turns people into random animals or monsters, or gold can fall from the sky, or it can instantly kill someone, or any kind of random things, but if you're in combat, it does regular attacks, it does run out of charge quickly though. It is very fun to use on random people, but you get a bounty if you're caught, which brings me to another good thing about Skyrim, which is the thing where if you commit a crime, you can kill all of the witnesses, and then you won't have a bounty. The main storyline of it is alright but ultimately in my opinion, Morrowind is and was, a better game.
  • j dodd doctor 2012/09/03 23:15:34
    j dodd
    +3
    Actually, the journal has a 'quests' button where you can see all the journal entries related to one certain quest. More than just the topics
  • Tom Hanks 2012/07/10 17:56:49
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Tom Hanks
    +3
    I love the fact that all the people voting for Skyrim give no reason for liking it more. If they give reasons, they just prove the point that they've never played Morrowind including such things as the story and immersion of Skyrim is better than that of Morrowind, or even Oblivion is better than Morrowind. That last one just cracks me up.

Let's move on to Oblivion for a second. To make oblivion in any way enjoyable and playable I had to add about 20 odd mods, changing the leveling the leveling of other creatures and countless other annoyances that the game had. I've never had to add a single mod to Morrowind, to enjoy it, even though I knew there were things which could have improved playability such as not having to increase enchanting to absurd amounts such as 2000 and intellect to 1000 before being able to enchant anything, and then being invincible as soon as you were able to, but these were flaws that you could live with. In Oblivion you had to level perfectly so that you wouldn't be caned by the next mud crab that comes along 2 levels down the track, unless you modded, once that was modded creatures were always just as hard or easy to kill, unless you modded, the programming of the game was terrible and is more graphics intensive than Skyrim with worse graphics, unles...

Let's move on to Oblivion for a second. To make oblivion in any way enjoyable and playable I had to add about 20 odd mods, changing the leveling the leveling of other creatures and countless other annoyances that the game had. I've never had to add a single mod to Morrowind, to enjoy it, even though I knew there were things which could have improved playability such as not having to increase enchanting to absurd amounts such as 2000 and intellect to 1000 before being able to enchant anything, and then being invincible as soon as you were able to, but these were flaws that you could live with. In Oblivion you had to level perfectly so that you wouldn't be caned by the next mud crab that comes along 2 levels down the track, unless you modded, once that was modded creatures were always just as hard or easy to kill, unless you modded, the programming of the game was terrible and is more graphics intensive than Skyrim with worse graphics, unless you modded, the UI was terrible, unless you modded, basically said the game was atrocious, unless you modded, why did I even mod the game then you might as... because I have to admit that some of the quests lines in oblivion were awesome, although the main quest wasn't amazing, and for those people who didn't find the main quest in Morrowind and I know there are some of those, if you can't read I imagine you would have trouble with that, otherwise you have no reason for not finding it. Now let's go into Skyrim, and I have to admit that the only thing that definitely needs modding is the UI, and there's no problems with skills being unusable unless using exploits, although it has to be noted that the only skill in Morrowind that had this problem was Enchant, but then as is always necessary for the Bethesda team they had to add something to the game to reduce enjoyment, and in this game it is the Quests, there's not many of them, the ones that exist aren't very good, let's put it this way I've played Skyrim for one Month and have completed almost everything, I played Morrowind thoroughly for years and never even got close to finishing everything, and there's heaps of good quests including the really short ones such as having to undress in front one of the gay house Hlaalu leaders, so that he would give you a recommendation.

So yes if you implemented the best quests of Oblivion and the game play of Skyrim you'd probably have a better game than Morrowind, but you don't, plus you'd still be missing the immersion of Morrowind which is created by the fact that you can kill everything, drop everything, and do everything, and there's not all the he's just dropped unconcious c@#%. I'd rather have the Morrowind text box which tells me, sorry you just screwed up and can't complete the game anymore, the universe and all in it will now be destroyed live with it, your actions have tangible consequences. I don't even like the fact that it continuously tells me when I am stealing something, I know when I am stealing something, you don't have to tell me. Although I would love to tell a judge that I never knew I was stealing, because I didn't have a big red bunch of words showing up in front of me telling me that I was stealing at the time.
  • Dyhn 2012/06/26 12:37:07 (edited)
  • lee Dyhn 2013/01/29 13:39:06
    lee
    +4
    This conversation might be pretty old, even dead, but I have to comment. This is probably the best response I have read, however, in all it's comprehensiveness I need to point out something. If Bethesda had put even a fraction of the detail in Skyrim that they put in morrowind we would have a game to end all games (imo). They didn't. They are both great, but morrowind was (and still is imo) ground breaking. The immersion in morrowind is insane. (A Dance in the Fire anyone?) I read every book I collected in game. Exhausted every city and settlement for activity. There is no other game ever made that presents you with as much culture as morrowind. Skyrim, being as great as it is, disappoints. Graphics are hands down better (of course considering the time) and combat is greatly improved. But it's missing the immersion. Imagine the detail and culture that they included in morrowind in the world Skyrim with better combat and graphics and that wins hands down. In this aspect, and only this one: the two games being compared, Skyrim disappoints. They may not have had the tools to create Skyrim quality graphics or combat with morrowind, but Bethesda had the tools to create morrowind quality detail and immersion with Skyrim at the time of it's creation. Therefore Skyrim disappoints a bit (though it's not even near the level of disappointment I experienced with oblivion which I deem unplayable in all aspects, especially after waiting well over a year for it's release).
  • Dylan Gray 2012/06/06 07:33:48
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Dylan Gray
    +2
    To all the people saying that Skyrim has a better plot...you didn't really play Morrowind right then if you think that.

I first found Morrowind when I got an xbox as an elementary school kid because I thought the idea of swinging a sword in first person was THE COOLEST CONCEPT EVER. Let's just say that for a few years I didn't really touch the game because I didn't really appreciate RPGs at that age.

Anyway, since then, I've played all of the Elder Scrolls (well, not including the really old ones from the 90s), and I can say this, if you actually spent time playing Morrowind and read the dialogue...you would realize that the two plots don't compare.

I can provide this as an example: Compare the Mage's Guild in each. In Skyrim, I became the head of the college that amounts to the Mage's Guild in about a day of playing (thanks fast travel n stuff) WITHOUT knowing more than 2 spells, and really only ever using one of them (I also did this while in College on a Saturday and then went out that night so no, wasn't like I was playing for a marathon or something, it really is a short plot). In Morrowind, you could not become the head of the Mage's Guild without ever using spells because they actually had requirements. You could do literally every quest in the Mage's Guild plotline...

I can provide this as an example: Compare the Mage's Guild in each. In Skyrim, I became the head of the college that amounts to the Mage's Guild in about a day of playing (thanks fast travel n stuff) WITHOUT knowing more than 2 spells, and really only ever using one of them (I also did this while in College on a Saturday and then went out that night so no, wasn't like I was playing for a marathon or something, it really is a short plot). In Morrowind, you could not become the head of the Mage's Guild without ever using spells because they actually had requirements. You could do literally every quest in the Mage's Guild plotline, but, if you didn't have a few of their specified skills (Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration etc...) at a certain level (I just finished replaying and becoming the head of the Imperial Cult and remember one of their specified skills had to be at 90...90!), they would refuse to let you advance. So not only did you have to do the quests, but you also had to develop a character that would actually PLAY like one would imagine an Archmage to play. It actually forced you to hone your skills in a certain direction. It made your character creation at the start of the game way more important; good luck becoming the head of the Mage's guild if you are an Orc born under the sign of the Warrior with a class focusing on Strength and Endurance.

Granted, you could cheat, but if you are a true RPG player, why would you do that?

Also, way more factions to join and decisions to make in Morrowind. You've got everything faction-wise (okay you don't have a civil war but you do have rival houses, religions, and a lot of cultural differences within the Dunmer so...it evens out), plus you have two different religious cults you can join. You have vampires, you have necromancers, you have Daedra worshippers, you have so so so much that still 10 years later and playing the game every once in awhile, I can honestly say there are rooms I haven't visited and side-quests/items I haven't completed or found. Skyrim, has its perks, but do not tell me for a moment it's storyline is even close to what is found in Morrowind.
  • Nero Nightbaron 2012/05/14 18:53:29
    Yes, "Morrowind" was better
    Nero Nightbaron
    +1
    Morrowind is more about Role playing yourself as that nameless prisoner that got out into a strange land... Not that exciting on combat mechanic (for "eye candy" factor... OF COURSE that's not fair to compare it with games that came out a decade after)... but more detailed on exploration and micro managing your guy... Even the game mech regarding armors and clothing's is waay more advanced that 1-set-and-go generic stuff found in Oblivion and Skyrim... it even got more type of weapons (crossbows anybody?)

Although yes for NPC interactions... Oblivion and Skyrim got the upper hand and the overall theme of the world, I do personaly also think Oblivion and Skyrim got better theme compared to "Tatooine" looking world of morrowind.

So if anybody could re-make Morrowind with all its detail and upgraded with the visual of the latter games... I would buy it.
  • ShinyUmbreon01 2012/04/21 19:27:18 (edited)
    No, "Skyrim" is better
    ShinyUmbreon01
    I want to play Morrowind sometime, but I still think Skyrim is better...

EDIT: If you're going to reply to this and whine at me, don't. YES, I admit, my comment was very naive. I realize that now. :/ I made a mistake, alright? I'm sorry. Next time I'll wait until AFTER I've played Morrowind to compare it to Skyrim.
  • Silanti ShinyUm... 2013/02/11 04:27:35
    Silanti
    +6
    I LITERALLY made an account just to reply to this comment you haven't even played Morrowind and you're comparing it to skyrim? *sigh* Really try posting a legitimate comment about WHY it is better although in my opinion it's not.
  • ShinyUm... Silanti 2013/02/11 05:52:09
    ShinyUmbreon01
    I've read about Morrowind and watched some gameplay, but I just think Skyrim is better, okay? You're the second person who's said something to me about this. The first guy was ruder so I guess he got banned or something since I don't see his comment anymore. Why can't you just respect other people's opinions? Just because I haven't actually played the game myself doesn't mean I know nothing about it. :/
  • chefdav... ShinyUm... 2013/02/11 15:36:18
    chefdavid299
    +2
    You probably know about it? It doesn't mean you know how much it can pull you in to make you feel empowered. Don't share an opinion if you haven't got all the facts and haven't played the game at all.
  • ShinyUm... chefdav... 2013/02/11 18:46:25
    ShinyUmbreon01
    -_- Whatever dude. I like Skyrim better. I always will. That's just me. Not everyone is going to like Morrowind better like you.
  • Liang ShinyUm... 2013/02/11 23:10:34
    Liang
    +5
    That's not an opinion... That's ignorance. You can tell me you like Skyrim better after you've played Morrowind. I won't object to that. But if you've never played the game and you say Skyrim is better. That's just pure ignorance. That's like saying you like Harry Potter more than Lord of the Rings because Lord of the Rings has a bad book cover - -.
  • ShinyUm... Liang 2013/02/11 23:54:54
    ShinyUmbreon01
    I'm really getting fed up with this. I like Skyrim better, okay? I don't need to play Morrowind to know I like Skyrim better. Skyrim is my favorite game of all time. Now leave me alone.
  • Taylor ... ShinyUm... 2013/07/18 21:18:16
    Taylor Anderson
    +2
    So you decide to go on a rant about how Skyrim is obviously better than Morrowind even though you know nothing about it? Then you get angry when people respond to your naive comments? Since you don't know anything about Morrowind, how can you say Skyrim is better? Whats better about it?

If you're trying to troll this forum I think you've succeeded, now knock off trying to aggravate other people with your "opinion". If that wasn't your goal, Just stop making senseless posts that don't make any points.

I'm just going to guess why you think Skyrim is superior, better graphics and an easily exploited system. Yes it does look better, and is more intuitive (personally I think having arrows pointing exactly where to go and wait to do just makes it tedious) but it subtracts from gameplay.

I'm currently playing Skyrim again to get my last trophy by helping the thieve's guild, There's just simply no sense of story. I just talk to A, follow arrow to B, pick up C, return to A. I'm not saying Skyrim sucks (not at all), I'm just saying I need more than shiny graphics and an easy button. I want something that's fun beyond a hack'n'slash.

Morrowind has better and properly balanced mechanics, there is no "one-shot-kill" exploitable method. The spell system is so much better, creative, and...

Morrowind has better and properly balanced mechanics, there is no "one-shot-kill" exploitable method. The spell system is so much better, creative, and actually useful. Before you try to argue that Skyrim is still better in that respect, remember your opinion is based on a glancing look at Morrowind, and is therefore invalid.

Do me a favor and think before you post back a response remember, all you're doing is riling people up because you're not even bothering to provide reasons. Make a productive argument or stop trolling.

2014/09/02 00:06:12