'Modern Warfare 3' Is Quickest to Earn $1 Billion: Impressive or Expected?

Gaming 2011/12/14 14:00:00
"Skyrim" won all the big awards this year, but it's not winning in sales. Activision's "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" didn't just become the quickest game to sell $1 billion -- it became the quickest entertainment product to reach that mark. According to Yahoo, the game pulled in a billion dollars within 16 days of its release. That's faster than "Avatar," which held the old record of 17 days.

But the signs were all there. "Modern Warfare 3" pulled in $400 million on the day of its release, and $775 million within five days. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said, "Call of Duty has become that rare entertainment franchise that transcends its own genre. Core gamers love it, as our stellar reviews show. But every year, new people are drawn into Call of Duty."

• Aerosol Diamonds 2011/12/14 22:51:26
    Impressive
    Aerosol Diamonds
    +6
    Wow... you'd think people would have gotten bored with the same formula of these games by now.

This is truly intriguing.

• tyehanna 2012/02/09 15:05:03
    Expected
    tyehanna
    MW3 is beast so yea....... very expected
  • souljabri557 2012/01/09 20:42:02 (edited)
    Expected
    souljabri557
    Amazing advertising and huge teams is what gets this game popularity.

But it is not the best game out there by far. No offense to the players but all of the kids at my school who play it have absolutely no life...
  • BAMCIS 2012/01/05 06:30:49 (edited)
    Expected
    BAMCIS
    +1
    You can always expect idiotic consumers to waste their money on trash like the MW series.
  • Melane 2012/01/04 23:38:02
    Expected
    Melane
    FPS's are becoming an outlet for the casual gamer. Gaming has moved from something you had to hide or you'd be bullied, to a trend. And MW3 and other games have helped facilitate this. Many of my friends have it, despite the fact that they haven't played previous titles, they suck, or they flat out don't play it. But they *have* it.
  • PDS 2012/01/02 22:43:07
    Expected
    PDS
    I still can't get myself to pay $50-60 for a game. On top of that, paying for on-line play too. I'll just keep buying second-hand lots for $5-10/game.
  • Rocko 2012/01/01 21:51:07
    Expected
    Rocko
    ahh these always boom outta the gate but in the end i thnk skyrim will pass it maybe a couple years from now but it will imo neways
  • Agriffenlegend 2012/01/01 17:54:11
    Impressive
    Agriffenlegend
    i'm surprised i thought most people weren't going to get it on the count that it had the same style and looked a lot like the previous game.... wow
  • critter171 2011/12/29 00:49:13
    Expected
    critter171
    its on everyone thing that can play games on.. so its excepted to sell that well even if it was it still sell that well
  • Mrs. Blake Griffin 2011/12/25 01:16:50
    Expected
    Mrs. Blake Griffin
    Loooove that game! :D
  • [Katsu]™ 2011/12/24 20:34:59
    Impressive
    [Katsu]™
    +2
    None of the above. I just can't understand why people aren't tired of playing the same thing over and over again yet.
  • embroiderd 2011/12/24 01:24:50
    Expected
    embroiderd
    the hype wasnt lived up to what it could be and everyone wanted a sequel
  • Ruger 2011/12/24 01:07:37
    Impressive
    Ruger
    It is the leader for a reason and I for one hope they don't screw the formula up, yeah up the grafix but don't mess with the basics. They let idiots do black ops and it looked cartoonish. Battlefield is to damn complex.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/12/23 02:52:24 (edited)
    Expected
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Battlefield 3 is way better than MW3

Don t believe the hype
  • Ruger Mr.Hood... 2011/12/24 01:08:10
    Ruger
    Not even.
  • Mr.Hood... Ruger 2011/12/24 03:53:48
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Your opinion. COD hasn't changed since the first MW. The game is old and tired. When COD allows me to destroy whole buildings to kill campers let me know. Until then I will always choose BF over COD.
  • U Mad Bro? Mr.Hood... 2012/01/02 09:29:05
    U Mad Bro?
    BF hasn't changed between Bad Company 1 and Battlefield 3. IMHO BFBC2 is and always will be better than BF3.
  • Mr.Hood... U Mad Bro? 2012/01/02 13:56:28
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Its changed a hell of a lot more than COD. COD is made for the ADD crowd that wants that quick respawn fix with noob tactics.
  • U Mad Bro? Mr.Hood... 2012/01/03 19:14:02
    U Mad Bro?
    Lol, If you say so. I've come across campers, noobtubers and run and gunners in BF3 almost every day. They're both the same game. Infact BF3 single player felt very generic, like MW2. That and the fact that MW3 came out pretty much glitch free, leaving me to ignore BF3 while dice patched things up
  • Mr.Hood... U Mad Bro? 2012/01/03 21:13:31
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    MW3 should come out glitch free. They've been using the same engine for the game since 2007. For the simple fact I can have a dog fight in BF3 makes it totally different than MW3 let alone the the destructible environments.
  • U Mad Bro? Mr.Hood... 2012/01/03 21:52:23
  • Willski 2011/12/23 02:13:11
    Expected
    Willski
    considering fundamentally they CoD games have barely changed since CoD 4 modern warfare, and to a lesser extent since CoD 2, and despite the fact they release a practically identical game every year, with minor graphical improvements, it still sells brilliantly.
    I think it's like a prestige thing, people like to say I've got MW3! you know, the same way people will buy an identical pair of jeans, just because they have a brand name on them.
  • Ruger Willski 2011/12/24 01:00:50
    Ruger
    I disagree it might be the same but it is a great formula. I tried battlefield and hated it to many heads ups and could barely tell friendlies from enemies.
  • Willski Ruger 2011/12/24 13:05:29
    Willski
    i appreciate the scale of battle field 3, (even if i only got it for the early access to the mass effect 3 beta), although i play on Xbox, so don't get enough people in the game... But personally i've never had difficulty telling friend from foe, thanks to the big blue or green writing and signs above friendlies heads.

But while Call of Duty may be a good formula, why do they need to release one every year?
    Battlefield games are better, and at appropriate intervals.
    (Personally i think The Elder Scrolls has the correct frequency, approx. every 5 years for full games. Bethesda are awesome.)
  • dirusbe... Willski 2011/12/29 19:20:20
    dirusbellator
    +1
    Yup yup its like cod is a fad or something; every year is too much. Battlefield all the way. You can still find full multiplayer games on xbox live in Bad Company 1, you would never have that with cod because BF is actually a good game. I love how BF studios sit quiet in Sweden and spend time creating a real game for a couple years but then it pays off when customers are still playin 4 and 5 year old titles.
  • dirusbellator 2011/12/22 18:59:54
    Expected
    dirusbellator
    +2
    Well, it's a brand that has been marketed very very well. There is nothing that special about MW3, it's basically just an upgrade from MW2. There is nothing (except for the weapons) that even closely resemble real combat, there are no vehicles, there are short match times, and your environment still stays in tact regardless of how much shock & awe. So, I guess if you don't care about pre-teens screaming into their mics and you don't care about running around for a whopping 10 minutes and dying around every corner because of campers and amateurs than sure it's a great game; there should have been an "unexpected" button for the response. Now Battlefield 3 is a real game; it takes skill, teamwork, strategy and tactics to pull off a round. You can destroy buildings, fly helicopters & jets, drive tanks, humvees, quad-bikes, and matches last anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. The game makes you earn your victory, and that is why I think it should have done better than MW3, but what do you expect, MW3 was advertising everywhere.
  • Ruger dirusbe... 2011/12/24 01:09:11
    Ruger
    I for one hate battlefield.
  • dirusbe... Ruger 2011/12/29 19:12:27
    dirusbellator
    Ya it's not an easy game to get kills or objectives; definitely not a game for the light-hearted. Especially hardcore mode; cod and halo users would crap bricks and blame their ineptitude on the game; I'm assuming you prefer games that demand less skill like cod; I understand though: not everyone can be of higher intelligence.
  • dirusbe... Ruger 2011/12/29 19:14:06
    dirusbellator
    @ Ruger I'm just playin don't take it personally; everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes
  • Kebenzis 2011/12/22 16:19:15
    Expected
    Kebenzis
    Well the Call of Duty series did bring attention to most in the gaming community. I mean, back then it was Medal of Honor that was the leading shooter before Halo and all those Sci-Fi inspired shooters. The reason why I think Call of Duty, especially Modern Warfare 3 was such a huge success was because of the games that they presented like (Modern Ware I & II, Black Ops, and World at War): you have to admit they were pretty fun especially in Multi-player. Taking a more modernized approach, it's no surprise really that Modern Warfare 3 made a lot.
  • Vortex Lord 2011/12/22 12:27:15
    Expected
    Vortex Lord
    +1
    Worst FPS ever! Too mainstream, no substance of feel and fun...
  • boiyaza 2011/12/22 03:36:07
    Expected
    boiyaza
    +2
    There are alot of loser who think this game is worth getting shot over while the creators and producers are making billions off you idiots god its just the same game with the same guns and boards with different colors and sizes
  • Ruger boiyaza 2011/12/24 01:11:02
    Ruger
    Because its a great game formula.
  • boiyaza Ruger 2011/12/24 01:18:23
    boiyaza
    +1
    no it isnt if your smart
  • Ruger boiyaza 2011/12/24 01:53:04
    Ruger
    Well last time I checked a game was suppose to be fun.
  • boiyaza Ruger 2011/12/24 02:05:20
    boiyaza
    yea so why do you play that game then
  • Vortex ... Ruger 2011/12/25 18:22:53
    Vortex Lord
    Nope! Great game formula is non linear level design with secrets, rocket jumping, quick action multiplayer, open source, modding community and soundtrack that will make the game alive not some all the same dramatic tunes.
  • evceleb 2011/12/21 07:20:00
    Expected
    evceleb
  • ANTI XBOX 2011/12/20 21:31:37
    Expected
    ANTI XBOX
    The game of rules
  • arya.ecklund 2011/12/19 16:46:10
    Expected
    arya.ecklund
    +1
    awesome xD
  • You Know IT 2011/12/19 09:54:10
    Expected
    You Know IT
    +1
    With all these people who follow the call of duty name, it's really expected, though i'm rather disappointed with the game..... a little surprised that every year people (including me) buy these new games.... and their almost exactly the same as the rest, but it works and it's a money maker so why not release one every year, part of what makes it popular i guess, though i actually stopped playing for the longest time for SKYRIM!!! then i started playing on master difficulty.... then i literally took an arrow to the knee in game that killed me..... and now i'm back on cod lol

2014/09/02 21:49:52