Metta World Peace Gets Suspended for Seven Games: Fair or Foul?

Sports 2012/04/25 17:00:00
Los Angeles Lakers defensive specialist Metta World Peace, aka Ron Artest, has been suspended for seven games by the NBA, due to his actions during Sunday's game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. As we covered here on SodaHead Sports, Peace was celebrating after he scored on Sunday and pumped his fist so hard that he elbowed Thunder player James Harden in the head.

Harden was nearly knocked out unconscious and is currently day-to-day. He is expected to play in the first round of the NBA Playoffs. Yet as lucky as Harden is, in this day and age of closer examination with head injuries, the concussion he suffered at the hands (or elbow) of Peace could make him more vulnerable to brain damage should he end up concussed again later in life.

Remember: It's not like this was an accident or “part of the game.” This was a blatant shot to the head of an innocent and unsuspecting player. And whether there's beef between the two players or two teams is irrelevant because actions like that in basketball -- let alone any sport that's not combat-based like mixed martial arts or boxing -- is uncalled for. Metta World Peace will miss six playoff games during his suspension. So much for staying true to his new name.

• ordman 2012/04/25 23:41:24
    Foul
    ordman
    +11
    He has done this sort of thing before. He should have banned for the NBA for life!

• askmike SoCal71 2012/04/25 23:41:37
    askmike
    That was because of PR. The fans pay the bills. The players seem to be expendable to the league.
  • T askmike 2012/04/26 22:08:03
    T
    I agree with you that he probably should have been suspended for the rest of the year, but one thing a lot of people don't notice is that right before the head shot, the other player needlessly moved "all up in his space". The head shot was a reaction. A way over the top reaction that deserves HARSH punishment, but it was a reaction. Just want you to take that into consideration when it comes to the sentencing.
  • askmike T 2012/04/27 01:30:31
    askmike
    Artest's only available option of dealing with someone "all up in his space" was cocking his arm and driving his elbow into his opponent's head? I don't think you have ever watched what happens under the basket when a gang of guys are fighting for a rebound. Nobody ever cold cocks another player without warning. Except Artest.
  • T askmike 2012/04/27 21:02:20
    T
    I'm not saying it's okay. I'm saying that I see what provoked him.
    Also, your example takes place when there is good reason for players to be trying to occupy the same space. The elbow to the head was AFTER the basket. The only reason the other player was making physical contact was to be annoying. Did he deserve to get hit? NO!!! But, I do see why Artest hit him, and why Artest can't claim it was an accident.
  • askmike T 2012/04/28 00:15:41
    askmike
    Sure. It would have made him a sissy to shove him away.
  • T askmike 2012/05/02 22:15:52
    T
    I don't think he was thinking on that high of a level.
  • Gloria 2012/04/25 18:07:08
    Fair
    Gloria
    +3
    Sports aren't for the faint of heart but they are getting too down & dirty. It's not an example for kids to cheat and hurt on purpose.
  • smitty 2012/04/25 17:55:55
    Foul
    smitty
    +7
    Should have been 30-60 games without pay.
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/04/25 17:42:23
    Foul
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +7
    No, he's a thug and should be arrested for assault, and permanently disbarred from professional sports.
  • Joey Philo® ... 2012/04/25 17:55:04
    Joey
    +2
    Should that happen everytime a hockey player has a fight .
  • Philo® ... Joey 2012/04/25 18:31:58
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +1
    Yes. These overpaid & underworked "professionals" get millions of dollars & produce nothing; they play a game, for heavens sake. The least they owe their fans is an example of good sportsmanship.
  • nighttrain8 2012/04/25 17:26:42
    Fair
    nighttrain8
    +1
    I just hope they don't make him go back on whatever medication he was taking cause it stole his game from him. It seemed he was off it, as his game improved tremendously BUT I was expecting some tragic event. Now we will watch and see if his game fades away in the arms of some stupid psychiatric drug.
  • Tree To... nighttr... 2012/04/25 18:37:04
    Tree Top TT
    +4
    It would be OK with me, if he never plays Again. He is a back-shooter & coward!

2014/10/02 12:39:21