LISTEN > Sixx:A.M.'s Latest Single Delves Into Singer's Past: Are Lyrics Important to You?

Music 2012/05/02 19:00:00
Back in the '80s, when the Sunset Strip was beleaguered with heavy metal bands and the eccentricities that went along with them, Motley Crue made a name for itself as one of the rowdiest groups on the scene. The band members drank excessively, did unbelievable amounts of hard drugs, and landed in jail on numerous occasions. Fortunately, they all made it out alive.

Nikki Sixx, the band's singer and bassist, wrote about his season of vice in two books, "The Heroin Diaries" and "This Is Gonna Hurt." Both were accompanied by albums from his new band, Sixx:A.M., a supergroup of sorts consisting of Sixx, DJ Ashba of Guns N' Roses, and multi-instrumentalist James Michael, who has worked with Motley Crue, Meat Loaf, and Alanis Morissette, among others.

The latest single off of Sixx:A.M.'s last album, "Are You With Me Now," is a blatant, melancholy glimpse at his past. Lines like, "All the things I can't control come back to haunt me now," and, "We were dumber then, so much dumber then" hint at the emotional scars Sixx's reckless youth have left. The chorus ("Come back from the dead, you've been inside your head for too long") seems directed either at someone he interacted with at that time, or at certain elements of himself. Give the song a listen and let us know what you think!

• Little Fawn 2012/05/02 22:18:50
    Little Fawn
    +13
    Seeing is how music is my gateway to life, lyrics are damn important to me. Nobody is ever there for me so I rely on music to keep me going and to know that I'm never alone. Without music and meaningful lyrics, my life would be nothing.
    Saves

• tragedy6996 2014/08/21 21:44:45
    tragedy6996
    Lyrics are important. They tell the story of the song
  • Starchaser 2014/08/03 00:41:45
    Starchaser
    Yes lyrics are very important, they are a way of saying what is in your heart and can join two people together in ways only they know...
  • xubunqui 2014/02/05 15:39:11
    xubunqui
    Yes, lyrics matter.
  • Zayra Garcia 2014/02/02 19:59:00
    Zayra Garcia
    Let's look back through the history of humanity. Throughout our history we used music and lyrics for different purposes. First, it was to entertain ourselves with stories, then it was to appease the gods and used as prayer, and with time it kept evolving. Lyrics are highly important, at least, to me they are. "Are You With Me" is a song with great lyrics, and it's relatable. It's a song I could sing or dedicate to so many people in my life. It's a song that speaks to you, that's what it's all about. -Zayra
  • rererocker 2014/01/02 05:33:51
    rererocker
    Yes Lyrics definitely matter. They are the heart and soul of a song. I love it when I can relate to the lyrics of a song and the artists
  • wakingupsophia 2013/12/22 18:57:00
    wakingupsophia
    Yes, lyrics matter. I look for songs that are attune to my beliefs, hopes, dreams, lifestyle, lessons learned, vision of the world, etc. There's nothing more addicting than finding the words you weren't sure how to say. Needless to say, I am thriving on the words of Sixx:a.m.
  • Samantha Jacobs 2013/12/08 10:46:20
    Samantha Jacobs
    Lyrics are super important! They're what makes me connect with certain artists, and what makes me relate to them.
  • destiny.killingsworth.7 2013/10/04 21:32:44
    destiny.killingsworth.7
    Are you with me now?
  • william tidmarsh 2013/09/30 21:06:25
    william tidmarsh
    Great song! can't wait to hear more from them!!
  • DeadTacos 2013/08/16 14:25:25
    DeadTacos
    I love 'Are You With Me Now', and the message behind the song is great. To me, that's pretty important. Lyrics can make or break a song.
  • jasc2 2013/08/15 20:22:07
    jasc2
    Ultimately, the only person whom will ever truly understand a set of lyrics is the person who wrote them. Its a way of expressing how crap life is (because it always is no matter who you are) by venting in a method that won't get you locked up in psychiatric unit, or in jail! It's basically a way of expressing emotions, and without lyrics life could be possibly even more under strain. It's also for the publics appeal- would you listen to a 5 minute track with a guitar strumming, some drums and a few sound affects? Of course not- what would be the point in music at all?
  • Joey Frazier 2013/06/27 03:15:24
    Joey Frazier
    Of course lyrics are important. In fact, they can ruin a song.
  • ap Joey Fr... 2013/07/27 11:50:01
    ap
    +3
    I agree! Lyrics make or break a song!
  • maxxiemurder33 2013/06/25 22:49:52
    maxxiemurder33
    Of coarse the lyrics matter!, without the lyrics there would be no song. no story. The story of the lyrics is what helps us connect to the music. Without Sixx A.M's incredible lyrics, there would probably be no hope for humanity anymore. They are so inspirational as well as motivational. "Are you with me now" is a magnificent song in which it touches the very hearts of the ones experiencing exactly what the story is trying to tell. Therefore, we can connect to the soul of the song, and help us get through the hard times. Their lyrics touch me emotionally, and I love it. I love that band.
  • Rachel 2013/06/25 04:45:34
    Rachel
    Lyrics are absolutely important, while the music itself may hold meaning for those who wrote it, the lyrics are how that meaning can be communicated to listeners, so that we can understand and love the song too
  • Dae000 2013/05/21 09:01:01
    Dae000
    For me lyrics are the most important thing in songs.
  • Gosia 2013/04/28 11:14:09 (edited)
    Gosia
    of course!
  • oj007a 2013/03/28 22:00:36
    oj007a
    It's very important! We find out what is the song.
  • kraai.toit 2013/03/21 10:59:11
  • kimberley Howe 2013/03/16 19:29:21
    kimberley Howe
    Of course lyrics are important they are the skeleton of any song and they are what personally touch people when they listen. Lyrics form the emotional bond people people and songs!
  • oliver.bucio 2013/03/12 04:21:20
    oliver.bucio
    Lyrics matter more than you think. Sixx A.M.'s lyrics touch you emotionally. They did a great job on this album.
  • SaintEnn 2013/03/09 08:05:00
    SaintEnn
    Of course they do!
  • Anarkess26 2013/02/25 04:01:03
    Anarkess26
    Yes, of course the lyrics matter. Emotionally, physically, mentally.There's meaning behind the words that connect with your heart and soul.
  • adamjenkins85 2013/02/25 01:30:14
    adamjenkins85
    Of course lyrics matter. The instruments give the soul of the music but the lyrics deliver the message. Lyrics are what give the music power. For example, i am a huge fan of Sixx A.M., and after reading Nikki Sixx's Book 'This is Gonna Hurt', when he explains the songs and their meanings in depth such as 'Are You With Me Now', 'Skin' and 'Smile', their music, and lyrics predominantly, it stops us dead in our tracks and opens up our minds to perceptions on the world we would have otherwise ignored, or even worse, not cared about. I for one, can raise my hand high and say Nikki Sixx & Sixx A.M. have changed my life & attitude completely, and this had been achieved purely through their lyrics. The music is just a bonus :)
  • shana.arbegast 2013/02/19 00:03:17
    shana.arbegast
    Lyrics matter. Its the lyrics that tell the story of the song. This song may be about Nikki's scars but it echos inside those of us who have lived with and through addiction.
  • matt 2013/02/14 16:45:13
    matt
    lyrics do matter all the time thats what tells you what the song is about
  • Sirenis 2013/01/26 11:44:00
    Sirenis
    Yes, lyrics matter. That's what gets to me first in a song. And the lyrics are what is touching me the most in songs before (or together with) the music. It always amazes me how some people have so much talent to put their feelings, emotions, experiences...into such nice lyrics. And also how some people can write music and play their instruments, to our benefits and well-being. About "ARE YOU WITH ME" 'Find the places that scare you", I guess that's where it starts to stop being 'Inside your head for too long". It's a very beautiful song.
  • D'Astous Martine 2013/01/25 21:37:07 (edited)
    D'Astous Martine
    Yes, lyrics matter. That’s what gets to me first in a song. And the lyrics are what is touching me the most in songs before (or together with) the music. It always amazes me how some people have so much talent to put their feelings, emotions, experiences… into such nice lyrics. And also how some people can write music and play their instruments, to our benefits and well-being. About “ARE YOU WITH ME”? “Find the places that scare you”, I guess that’s where it starts to stop being “inside your head for too long”. It's a very beautiful song.
  • Harmzione 2013/01/22 22:05:07
    Harmzione
    The beat can be attention grabbing, but if the lyrics are weak, the song isn't going to be that great. Personally, lyrics are what mean the most to me, because they tell stories, often at least partially of things I can relate to. That's why I love Sixx: A.M's music, because their lyrics are powerful and speak to me and a lot of other people.
  • UntamedSong 2013/01/20 13:23:25
    UntamedSong
    Yes it does, and this song is a perfect example of it, the lyrics are as much of a part of the depth of the song as the music
  • sophie 2013/01/01 23:38:42 (edited)
    sophie
    lyrics are what make the music speak to you. That's why "Are You With Are Me Now" is so beautiful because it is written so exquisitely.
  • fascinate 2013/01/01 19:51:30
    fascinate
    Words mean a lot to a song as in any normal day situation I believe. Depending on the timing of a song it can make you laugh, cry, happy, or sad. The words bring much more emotion to a song then them music or beat alone.
  • betty.tjeerdsma 2012/12/30 10:20:01
    betty.tjeerdsma
    Lyrics are very important to me, they can make me laugh,cry scream or what not. What i love about Sixx:A.M. and their songs is that i can relate to them in so many ways, it's about my past, future and how i stand in life now. for me "Are You With Me Now" is also a wake up call, i've been too busy waisting my time with thinking about things that aren't important, now i'm only looking forward!
  • Sixxamfan41 2012/12/29 16:52:15
    Sixxamfan41
    I love this song, it is like an apology or a word of "I understand now what you tried to do for me then" I was lost and living in my own world of self destruction , it took me literally dying and coming back from the dead to realize I shut you out , I've been living inside my head for too long, what I want to know is "Are You With Me Now" that is my take on this amazing song .
  • amanda.marrett 2012/12/29 11:37:28
    amanda.marrett
    Yes.. the lyrics are the soul of the song...
  • olsonice 2012/12/27 19:50:32
    olsonice
    Heck yah the lyrics are important, it is the story behind the song!
  • AthenaJ 2012/12/13 01:03:29
    AthenaJ
    Lyrics are definitely important! they convey so much emotion and so many stories.
  • gamj666 2012/12/08 23:51:43
    gamj666
    Of course lyrics are important! Lyrics are like de guitar and the drums. Without them, there is something missing!
  • leese6661 2012/12/07 23:34:15
    leese6661
    I think lyrics are extremely important. A song that has lyrics that I can relate to, or lyrics that evoke any kind of emotion, is the best kind of song. I like music that speaks to me, and the best way for any song to do that is through lyrics that hit hard. Sixx:A.M. is great at doing that. The lyrics are relatable, meaningful, and often inspirational.
  • bchris3427 2012/12/01 06:53:50
    bchris3427
    I don't know how this happened but the comment I typed out is gone. All that typing gone! So to answer your question...I absolutely believe lyrics matter. They definitely matter to me and when a song, band can touch your soul in so many different ways with so many different feelings...it is "Profound"

2014/10/23 13:53:01