LISTEN > Celine Dion Covers Adele, Is Amazing at It: Who Sang It Better?

Music 2012/06/13 18:00:00
One Grammy winner covering another... How could it possibly go wrong? Canadian pop singer Celine Dion kicked off a new set of Las Vegas shows last weekend, and thrilled fans with a cover of Adele's chart-topping single "Rolling in the Deep." The song spent seven weeks at the top of the charts earlier this year, and spent 65 weeks in the Hot 100.

Dion saw similar success with "My Heart Will Go On," better known as the "Titanic" theme song, in 1997. At the time, that gem broke the record for largest radio audience of all time with 117 million listeners in one month, though it only spent two weeks at the top of the charts. The current leg of her Las Vegas residency is set to run through August 19, but she'll be in-and-out of there through 2014. Check out the recording below and let us know if you think she rocked it enough to beat Adele at her own game.

• Happy 2012/06/15 15:59:03
    Happy
    +1
    I don't care for either, not my style of music.
  • popicircusmonkey 2012/06/15 14:17:58
    popicircusmonkey
    +1
    They're both good at singing it.
  • Lucid 2012/06/15 10:05:49
    Adele
    Lucid
    +1
    I cant stand Celine Dion because I hate that kind of ballad-y romantic type music she does.
  • Tasinahri 2012/06/15 09:47:23
    Adele
    Tasinahri
    +2
    Celine didn't even attempt at doing her own version, instead she tried to sing it exactly like Adele.
    Adele wins this debate hands down. Sorry, Celine. Stick to what you know.
  • MQ-American Values Again (AVA) 2012/06/15 08:24:33
    Adele
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +1
    I love Celine Dion ... her voice is magnanimously beautiful..... but, Adele has her own unique way of singing as well ... and Rolling in the Deep has her name stamped all over it....
  • anna 2012/06/15 07:34:02
    Adele
    anna
    +1
    In this case; Celine NEEDS Adelle...not the other way around...Celine hasn't had a hit for YEARS, she's old now too...so, Adelle is young, comes out with super likeable songs, check youtube MANY MANY women around the world sang her songs, they are great and they're hits...so, Celine is a great singer, so no problem there...but it's her NEED that shows she's needy, i mean, c'mon..Celine don't be jealous, you HAD enough hits..sing those! but nothing deprives her of having fun..(ugh she also married an old man ugh)
  • LuridLolita 2012/06/15 07:00:15
    Adele
    LuridLolita
    Though, it's hard to be absolutely certain because the recording wasn't that high of a quality.
  • Jackie 2012/06/15 06:11:55
    Adele
    Jackie
    +1
    No comparison, Adele is better.
  • nikkiroo Jackie 2012/06/17 19:30:50
    nikkiroo
    +1
    i sat here and listened to them side by side (both live performances) and celene rocked it!!! she's even like...old now and she still sounded better!!!! If Celene had recorded this song in her prime, it would of been a huge hit!!! I give adele credit for writing another good breakup song, but man....celenes a classic babe.
  • Tdog nikkiroo 2012/06/20 04:44:22
    Tdog
    Please don't b upset but I raved on accident when I went 2 reply:
    The song's already a huge hit.
  • Jackie nikkiroo 2012/06/23 16:46:55
    Jackie
    That's just it Nikkiroo. I responded to the type of songs Adele sings and how she sings them. I don't think Celine has the right kind of voice to sing Adele's songs. Only Adele can sing Adele's songs and do them justice. Somehow trying to think of Celine "rolling in the deep" makes me want to just laugh! Adele's songs need that little edge she has in her voice. I'm hoping her surgery doesn't make her voice so smooth that she eventually loses that edge we grew to love.
  • Hirnungah Mancandy 2012/06/15 06:09:27
    Adele
    Hirnungah Mancandy
    +2
    the only contribution celine has made to music is when she took time off to have a baby .
    celine dion baby
  • muddassir Hirnung... 2012/06/15 19:06:57
    muddassir
    +1
    i love you !
  • Drachen 2012/06/15 03:48:18
    Drachen
    Please add a "None of the above" option to questions like these. I can't stand either of them. Never liked Celine and Adele is overplayed!
  • Michelle 2012/06/15 03:47:37
    Adele
    Michelle
    +1
    Celine is terrible at covers. She has an amazing voice, OBVIOUSLY, but should stick to what she is good at and not mimic other's styles like an amateur as she did in this cover. Adele has a great voice and has a very distinct sound which, I think, she plays up very well in her songs to her advantage. I wouldn't pick Adele to sing a Celine song necessarily, either. They are both great at what they are great at and should stick to it!
  • Tdog 2012/06/15 03:16:18
    Adele
    Tdog
    +1
    Celine didn't even bother to make her own interpretation. Yeah, she has amazing technique n she manages to hit all the notes but so does Adele, however, if is she was trying to imitate Adele she failed.
    Celine's cover was lacking the heart n soul that makes the song that more amazing; that raw emotion n passion that Adele sings with so beautifully n artistically.
    Celine's tone colour, dynamics, creativity n overall style pales in comparison to Adele's.
    It was less evocative n less entertaining; Adele wins by a landslide.
  • Nancy Peters 2012/06/15 03:07:09
    Adele
    Nancy Peters
    +1
    Phew - 88% Managers prefer Adele!
  • •Sora•Knightwalker• 2012/06/15 03:04:27
    Celine Dion
    •Sora•Knightwalker•
    +1
    This girl can rock it!! I now love this song even more.
  • cebo 2012/06/15 02:41:31
    Adele
    cebo
    Celine did sound great doing this song, but I can't vote for her when Adele blew everyone away when she came out with it because of her fresh on the scene voice, plus she swept The Grammys... hmm, maybe Celine did so good because she knows she has to step up her game because of what I just said. LEAVE VEGAS ALONE CELINE GET BACK IN THE STUDIO WE HAVE A NEW NON AMERICAN SONGBIRD DOING HER THANG!
  • Boss 2012/06/15 02:01:35
    Celine Dion
    Boss
    +1
    OMG!!! why even ask!!
  • Asa 2012/06/15 01:33:52
    Adele
    Asa
    She did a great job though.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/15 01:25:11
    Adele
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Adele, Celine just doesn't single it the same way, she is so mechanical that I rarely like anything she does.
  • VICTORIA 2012/06/15 01:06:05
    Adele
    VICTORIA
    +2
    Celine does a great tribute- one great singer paying homage to another- she opens up her throat and has a clear voice. But i just can't find it in myself to be a fan of hers.
    She misses all of those catches and subtleties in Adele's voice- that make her voice so rich and compelling.
    At first I thought Celine's version was a faster tempo- it sounded sort of nervous- to me- only my opinion- somewhat forced in it's mimicry.
    And she DID imitate every note perfectly- but although her voice is crystalline- it seems icy and without emotion in that purity.
    So I went to youtube to compare the tempo- and forgot why I was there (tempo's the same) and just listened to the song. And couldn't finish listening to Celine's version.
    It so happens that tonight, the final question on Jeopardy was "What female artist, who sang in Toronto first at 8 years old- had the best selling album if all time."
    Like every single contestant- I guessed Celine Dion.
    It is Shania Twain.
    Alex chided everyone for not noticing his emphasis on Toronto- like anyone knew what difference THAT made.
    I'm not a fan of Celine's- to me she sounds over emotional- arabesque, and melodramatic.
    That just can't substitute the deep passion and soul of Adele.

• BackRoadz 2012/06/15 00:59:31
    BackRoadz
    There's no "Adele" music video to compare with. Being a Celine Dion fan i cant say as i really like this song...probably would'nt like the Adele version either....
  • ☼☽DoctorWhoGuru☼☽ 2012/06/15 00:49:25
    ☼☽DoctorWhoGuru☼☽
  • BeFriendsWithMiller 2012/06/15 00:31:32
    Celine Dion
    BeFriendsWithMiller
    +1
    I'll go for Celine Dion. She did good in rendering the song. She did it to pay tribute to Adele. I don't have questions on Adele's talent but don't you think it's mind-blowing that an icon gave you a tribute if you're Adele? Celine loves Adele so much that she admires her work and her talent and Celine just gave her rendition on her Vegas show. The Vegas show was formulated to expose Hollywood's greatest talents and music and it would be flattering for Adele that she's part of that show, along with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli, Jacque Brehl, and the great singers of James Bond theme songs. Don't be upset that Celine sang Adele's song and besides she's not owning it anyway. I vote for Celine because she simple has a talent of singing other artist's song in her own way.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/06/15 00:31:06
    Josh Robinson
    I'm Undecided...
  • Justina Jackson 2012/06/15 00:04:46
    Celine Dion
    Justina Jackson
    +1
    MY IDOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HER SOOOO MUCH
  • Elz 2012/06/14 23:31:46
    Elz
    they both did good. but i only see Adele singing that song.
  • That One Chick 2012/06/14 23:15:46
    Adele
    That One Chick
    +3
    ANYONE can sing the song the way the original artist does. Maybe not as well as Celine did, but where's her originality? She didn't make it her own at all.
  • heeheemee 2012/06/14 23:13:56
    Adele
    heeheemee
    Um, both? They are both amazingly talented, and sang it well. Adele gets my vote because she wrote it.
  • Osaka 2012/06/14 22:43:56
    Adele
    Osaka
    +2
    Celine's voice is scratchy from singing wrong.
  • Jessica 2012/06/14 22:43:55
    Jessica
    I would need to hear a clear version of Celine Dion. I think they sing it both very well. I like parts of each one of their voices.
  • jiggy 2012/06/14 22:37:19
    Adele
    jiggy
    +3
    Celine's harpy voice is just wrong and destroys all songs uttered by it.
    Please stop ruining music.
  • Oli 2012/06/14 22:33:02
    Oli
    i think Celine's cover would sound 100% better in a recording studio! she has such an amazing voice... Adele writes brilliant songs, however i think Celine has the more beautiful voice.
  • ~Kutie~ 2012/06/14 22:25:58
    Adele
    ~Kutie~
    +1
    She's hitting the notes a little weaker then Adele plus Adele has a brittish accent it just maes the whole song complete.
  • Eva 2012/06/14 22:16:23
    Adele
    Eva
    +2
    That cover is AWFUL. Leave that style to someone who can carry it off.
  • wallygator64 2012/06/14 22:06:56
    Adele
    wallygator64
    +2
    Adele is a babe....While Celine is a skinny hag.Too skinny is unattractive.
  • Oli wallyga... 2012/06/14 22:30:40
    Oli
    +1
    people like you make me sick.
  • wallyga... Oli 2012/06/15 00:25:32
    wallygator64
    Why do I make you sick my dear? I have never liked Celine....NEVER.First time I heard Adele,I was mesmerized by her voice then I saw her video and I was like thats a preety girl.Much easier on the eyes than Celine.

2014/12/22 20:40:18