Lance Armstrong Stripped of Titles: Will His Foundation Survive?

Sports 2012/08/25 18:36:46
Cycling legend Lance Armstrong made a heartbreaking decision this past week. It's one that will be highly-debated and leave a mark on his career forever. Armstrong decided he would no longer fight the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's allegations against him, despite passing every drug test over the years. The price Armstrong pays for that decision is being stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles.

Armstrong has also been banned for life from participating in sports and events sanctioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency. All the work Armstrong put in, especially with his inspirational story as a cancer survivor, is all gone . . . Or is it? Despite these devastating allegations and penalties, Armstrong has raised millions of dollars for cancer research over the years with his "Livestrong" campaign.

The Lance Armstrong Foundation has sold nearly 80 million "Livestrong" bracelets for its cause, since 2005. The charity organization has vowed to support its leader and continue its goal of helping find a cure for cancer. However, it may not be the organization's choice, but the public's--and specifically those who are willing to donate money--as to whether it survives in the aftermath of Armstrong's punishment.

It comes down to whether donors believe Armstrong is innocent or guilty, and whether or not they believe the cyclist's ability to raise awareness for a great cause is worth more than whatever negative stigma is attached to his name.

Read More: http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/08/25/can-...

• AskZilla jubil8 ... 2012/09/04 22:35:38
    AskZilla
    Oh God, I guess I should expect technical attacks
    _____________________________...
    ad·min·is·tra·tion
       /ædˌmɪnəˈstreɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ad-min-uh-strey-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    the management of ANY office, business, ORGANIZATION; direction.
  • Jay Theyme 2012/08/25 19:14:24
    Jay Theyme
    +2
    I suppose it will survive for a while and that is all good. He is really retired after all. But for a few years.
    But what is going on and what do they got on him? It has to be something pretty serious for him to concede to that kind of agreement??
    The other part of me just supposes he was caught doing something everyone else does. I mean hate to say it but that seems like the case so often.

But yeah I think his charity has a few more years but it will probably have to wrap it up too. 2 years maybe.
  • patsimmons 2012/08/25 18:57:52
    patsimmons
    +6
    The USADA does not have the jurisdiction to take away those titles. Here is Lance's official statement... http://lancearmstrong.com/new...
  • darcy.flannery 2012/08/25 18:57:51
    darcy.flannery
    +2
    I hope so. I guess no one will ever know for sure if he was doping or not, I think he was not. I do not understand why they went after him they way they did, for years. Maybe because he got 7 tour de France. I really don't know, but I think of him as a role model, I am sad for him because he will not get to compete in marathons.
  • jubil8 ... darcy.f... 2012/08/26 02:53:15
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    He passed EVERY dope test he ever took. The USADA didn't live by its own rules which makes it worthless in my book. I hope it gets hit hard for this.
  • Prairie Wind 2012/08/25 18:56:54 (edited)
    Prairie Wind
    +2
    The pursuit of eradicating cancer, wherever it exists, including the egos of the U.S.Anti-Doping Agency. will remain a cause to aggresively pursue, regardless of claims of competitive violations it has yet to substatiate, just echo those of European egos, so sensitive they were beaten on their own ground, year after year, by an American. Lance, you have my support!

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency should be testing the White House and Congress for their lack of performance.
  • jubil8 ... Prairie... 2012/08/26 02:53:59
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +4
    Somebody should test the USADA for lack of honor.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/08/25 18:55:57
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +16
    Innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Not any more.
  • jubil8 ... tommyg ... 2012/08/26 02:56:25
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +7
    The agency ignored the results of its own tests and just kept pushing. I don't blame him -- stress isn't good for cancer survivors, and it must have been hard on his family too. I'm sure he didn't reach the decision lightly, and I'm on his side (always have been -- the "charges" sounded bogus to me when I first heard about them years ago).
  • tommyg ... jubil8 ... 2012/08/26 03:41:28
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +5
    Agreed 100%. I'll tell you my friend, if he was European he'd be a king.

But because he's American, he must have cheated.

I work with a lot of our European friends...and that's what they think.

Not all....but enough to make me step back.
  • jubil8 ... tommyg ... 2012/08/26 22:22:33
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +2
    If he hadn't passed all the tests, I'd agree too. But when a discredited Olympian claims he KNOWS the truth, the smell I'm getting has a lot of sour grapes in it.
  • susan tommyg ... 2012/08/26 18:59:02 (edited)
    susan
    +2
    "Innocent until PROVEN guilty" hasn't been a part of the American legal system for years. The only reason the criminal justice system has some semblance of the requirement for "proof" left is the public defender system for those too poor to afford a lawyer and the requirement for a jury trial.

Civil law is all about who has the money and power. Even the few lawyers left who have some conscience and ethical consideration have been compromised by the money issue. Most civil law cases never even make it to court, with the victim being forced into bankruptcy and unable to afford a lawyer very early in the ugly schemes.

The corrupt schemes and legal games are all about who has the most connected lawyers, who has influence with the court in which a case must be tried, and which lawyer can spread misinformation and false allegations secretly to other lawyers to set the bankruptcy machine in motion against their victims.
    Small business and individuals who have something someone else wants, who get to a certain size and seem to threaten "market share" of a bigger company or union, are vulnerable to false claims, threats, and worse. Personal vendettas, of the kind the USADA seems to have against Armstrong, are easy to pursue when an agency or big business with the money to burn on lawyers...

Small business and individuals who have something someone else wants, who get to a certain size and seem to threaten "market share" of a bigger company or union, are vulnerable to false claims, threats, and worse. Personal vendettas, of the kind the USADA seems to have against Armstrong, are easy to pursue when an agency or big business with the money to burn on lawyers to pursue such vendettas are involved.
    Big Law is all about winning no matter whether their client is wrong or right. They will do anything for money, and woe to the "little fish" who become collateral damage to their desires.
  • C. C. R... tommyg ... 2012/08/27 20:44:04
    C. C. Rider
    +2
    I agree. HE backed away from a situation that was killing him. And showed us who really was the villian in this and it ain't him

cartoons on lance armstrong witch hunt
  • tommyg ... C. C. R... 2012/08/27 22:56:27
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    Agreed 100%.

How you doing CC?
  • C. C. R... tommyg ... 2012/08/28 00:45:37
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    Fine here so far. Have some heavy hurricane bands going on over head but soon it they will gone. LOTS of surfing and kite surfing out there. Great Entertainment.

kite surfing in big waves
  • tommyg ... C. C. R... 2012/08/28 00:58:30
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    Be careful. Is that you out there with the kite?
  • C. C. R... tommyg ... 2012/08/28 01:12:25 (edited)
    C. C. Rider
    LOL LOL NO WAY, not with those waves. lol But that is me at the end of my pool deck sipping some Ice Tea and watching them. lol It is the pool for me when the waves are that rough. I have been caught in a few rip currents and believe me it was hard to keep my cool to swim out of them. No more of those for me LOL
  • tommyg ... C. C. R... 2012/08/28 01:21:57
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    Very nice!!!! I've often wondered why people near the ocean have a pool...now I know.

I was caught in a rip current in Mexico on a high school trip. Scared the crap out of me. I'm with you. I'd be on the deck too.
  • C. C. R... tommyg ... 2012/08/28 01:24:08
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    Good going Tommy, we need you around here safe and sound.
  • tommyg ... C. C. R... 2012/08/28 01:28:24
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    You are so nice....stay safe my friend.

And stay away from those hunky boys and their kites...lol
  • Snakeman162 2012/08/25 18:46:11
    Snakeman162
    +2
    The foundation has done so much good It will survive this awkward situation.
  • Stacy F Snakema... 2012/08/25 19:45:15
    Stacy F
    +2
    I truly hope so.
  • Laissez Faire Husker 2012/08/25 18:44:25
    Laissez Faire Husker
    +5
    Lance Armstrong tested positive for banned substances in France. Toothpaste and deodorant.
  • andrew.... Laissez... 2012/08/25 18:47:32
    andrew.rozsa
    +2
    which gives me a business idea.. invent teeny-tiny curlers for French women to use for their armpit and leg hair...
  • jubil8 ... andrew.... 2012/08/26 02:57:28
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I think that comes under the heading of "too much information..." :)

2014/11/26 14:06:17