Lana Del Rey Bombs on 'SNL': Talentless or Tough Day?

Music 2012/01/16 23:11:33
The first thing you read when you look up Lana Del Rey on Wikipedia is "gangsta Nancy Sinatra" and her three primary musical influences: Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, and Britney Spears. That should just about prepare you for her "Saturday Night Live" performance, unless you happen to take comparisons like that seriously, in which case you're in for a surprise. After a lackluster performance on "SNL" this weekend, the New York City native is facing some Rebecca Black-styled publicity. Not a good thing.

The criticism got real bad on Twitter. Juliette Lewis, an Oscar-nominated actress who has been acclaimed for her intermittent music career, sent off one of the early shots: "Wow watching this ‘singer’ on SNL is like watching a 12 yearold [sic] in their bedroom when theyre pretending to sing and perform #signofourtimes." And it got worse. One user called her a "drunk Julia Roberts."

• Paloma 2012/01/17 06:35:57
    Tough day
    Paloma
    +7
    It's funny how people are making a big deal about this performance but still approve of other artists who are terrible live such as Katy Perry or Kesha. I don't love her music but she does not sound that bad.

• Hey! I like your eyes<3 2012/02/10 22:43:51
    Talentless
    Hey! I like your eyes<3
    What's with the lyrics? .-.

They're weird...

And I didn't like her...at all.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/01/21 00:47:05
    Tough day
    C. C. Rider
    LOL SNL needs to stick to politics

tina fey as pailin
  • chas 2012/01/19 19:38:12
    Tough day
    chas
    Sure Cute though. lana del rey
  • john.potoczak 2012/01/19 03:53:54
    Tough day
    john.potoczak
    +1
    Il give her a one time pass
  • Coyote 2012/01/18 22:56:39
    Tough day
    Coyote
    Hey , give her a break !!! So she hasn't learned how to perform , while stoned out of her mind , or drunk off her a** .....it will come.....After all , isn't that , what we have come to expect ? That or pre-recorded lip-sync...where a mixing board the size of a king size bed has "dressed it up" ...... No , this is SNL....the "L" is for LIVE people.... and who of us hiding behind our keyboards.....Could , or (WOULD) , have the courage to get up in front of a LIVE audience , (not to mention that it's televised all around the world) , and (TRY)....lol...sorry.....uh-hum , ....to sing a song !!! Not many of us I dare say ......Yes , Yes ,....I know , the attempt at the "sultry" bit was quite sad......and ended up making her look quite awkward......like a young fawn trying to take it's first steps......lol.....oh , deer....uh , I mean dear...lol .......but come on , you can tell she has a quite , good voice , down in there......somewhere.......sn... , snicker.... Maybe , it was not her fault.....She was "just nervous" ........but who ever gave her the handfull of "pre-show jitter pills" , did NOT do her a favor.........LOL.......Those aren't "Tic-Tacs" baby !!!! or ,.....If you are going to perform again (before getting a voice coach) , could you please spare some of those...
    Hey , give her a break !!! So she hasn't learned how to perform , while stoned out of her mind , or drunk off her a** .....it will come.....After all , isn't that , what we have come to expect ? That or pre-recorded lip-sync...where a mixing board the size of a king size bed has "dressed it up" ...... No , this is SNL....the "L" is for LIVE people.... and who of us hiding behind our keyboards.....Could , or (WOULD) , have the courage to get up in front of a LIVE audience , (not to mention that it's televised all around the world) , and (TRY)....lol...sorry.....uh-hum , ....to sing a song !!! Not many of us I dare say ......Yes , Yes ,....I know , the attempt at the "sultry" bit was quite sad......and ended up making her look quite awkward......like a young fawn trying to take it's first steps......lol.....oh , deer....uh , I mean dear...lol .......but come on , you can tell she has a quite , good voice , down in there......somewhere.......sn... , snicker.... Maybe , it was not her fault.....She was "just nervous" ........but who ever gave her the handfull of "pre-show jitter pills" , did NOT do her a favor.........LOL.......Those aren't "Tic-Tacs" baby !!!! or ,.....If you are going to perform again (before getting a voice coach) , could you please spare some of those special "Tic-Tacs" for the audience so they can at least sorta "enjoy" the show ? You know , just in case , you were to ask for requests.....That would probably be one of them.........Just sayin.......snicker , snicker........
  • tjr11 2012/01/18 22:43:22
    Talentless
    tjr11
    Sensationally awful!!
  • SC 2012/01/18 22:22:52
    Tough day
    SC
    +1
    Nothing all that bad in the video. This may not be my new favorite song or songstress, but why the assumption that she is terrible. My guess is that her worst critics are not musicians.
  • jsbustaman 2012/01/18 12:27:46
    Tough day
    jsbustaman
    +1
    She looked so sexy! Her odd music selections were like something out of a PBS special? She did also seem a bit nervous for a pro!
  • disclaimer 2012/01/18 07:39:16
    Talentless
    disclaimer
    She was awful, she really was. I'd never even heard of her until now but I never want to hear her music again.
  • ThreeBulletsattheDangerParade 2012/01/18 05:36:43
    Talentless
    ThreeBulletsattheDangerParade
    In all honesty I had never heard of her before SNL and I had thought she was another comedy bit. The lyrics were weird, rather lame as well, she couldn't sing, and moved awkwardly. Hate me all you want and maybe she was having a bad night but I don't think she has talent.
  • Eva 2012/01/18 03:40:43
    Tough day
    Eva
    She sounds better in this over-criticised performance than Ke$ha does on a good day.
  • Griegg 2012/01/18 01:16:38
    Tough day
    Griegg
    +2
    She didn't bomb. She got criticized is all. Big deal.
  • HipJipC 2012/01/17 22:37:38
    Tough day
    HipJipC
    +1
    She's ok in studio even though I'm not a fan of her style she still has a voice.
  • Tigger Too 2012/01/17 22:13:53 (edited)
  • kitkat42 2012/01/17 22:04:08
    Talentless
    kitkat42
    +1
    I couldn't make it through either performance. I DVR'd the show and jumped through her act to see if it would get better. It didn't. Sorry Lana, this was a FAIL.
  • Maci 2012/01/17 21:32:53
  • BILL 2012/01/17 21:23:09
    Tough day
    BILL
    Everyone has a bad day, and I really have never herd the girl much, not my type of music
  • thewickedrobot 2012/01/17 20:49:46
    Talentless
    thewickedrobot
    +1
    Ohhhh yea, it was terrible. Not to mention her lack of writing skills, as well. You hear those lyrics? Come on now, guys.
  • hari 2012/01/17 20:28:13
    Tough day
    hari
    +2
    wait and have some more events / experience - things will go alright - Experience makes person perfect
  • jere.chievres 2012/01/17 19:22:04 (edited)
    Tough day
    jere.chievres
    +4
    I have heard MUCH WORSE
  • Voicedude 2012/01/17 19:19:30
    Talentless
    Voicedude
    I don't like being mean to a fellow performer, but this was the biggest trainwreck performance I've seen on TV since Ashlee Simpson!
  • Sonic 2012/01/17 19:13:34
    Talentless
    Sonic
    +2
    Worst case scenario, she has no talent. No problem, time for Katey Perry, Kesha and Lady Gaga to all teach her about Autotune. Then out world's music industry may continue to be f*cked up.
  • hello_dawny 2012/01/17 18:56:07
    Tough day
    hello_dawny
    +3
    She's brilliant. You're all jealous.
  • Sonic hello_d... 2012/01/17 19:14:25
    Sonic
    +5
    Oh no, the jealous excuse, used by many. Get your own f*cking come back you arse hole.
  • Coyote hello_d... 2012/01/18 23:04:48
    Coyote
    Did you type that with a straight face ????......LOL...... I gotta know......LMAO......!!!! Thanks , I needed a good laugh today !........Have a good one..........Later
  • NCAAFBALLROX 2012/01/17 18:53:11
    Talentless
    NCAAFBALLROX
    +1
    Was NOT impressed at all (& I like some pretty esoteric music).
  • agnessa 2012/01/17 18:47:15
    Talentless
    agnessa
    +1
    live shows always show who really can sing and who can't, in studio they can make a music star of anyone
  • overdog001 2012/01/17 18:06:06
    Talentless
    overdog001
    +3
    That video is embarrassing.
  • Lady Winters 2012/01/17 18:03:34 (edited)
    Tough day
    Lady Winters
    +5
    Having never heard of her before that episode of SNL and never hearing any of her other music I can't really be fair. I'll let Daniel here answer. :)

heard episode snl heard music fair ill daniel answer
  • Voicedude Lady Wi... 2012/01/17 19:21:24
    Voicedude
    +1
    you just defined 'irony'...
  • Tennessee3501 2012/01/17 17:58:32 (edited)
    Tough day
    Tennessee3501
    +2
    She never would have been booked on the show if she did not have talent! Wait . . .Does NBC have a casting couch? Why Lorne Michaels? You old rascal!
  • Hopscotch 2012/01/17 17:51:39
    Talentless
    Hopscotch
    +2
    You can never find the mute or fast forward buttons in the dark when you really need'em?
    mute fast buttons dark needem
  • Splinter76 2012/01/17 17:21:27
    Talentless
    Splinter76
    +2
    It was dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. I can't believe SNL keeps putting crap like this on their show.
  • joe mauro 2012/01/17 17:19:30
    Talentless
    joe mauro
    +2
    she looked stoned and helpless,i thought the song was sung in a new language i can understand 50 cent better than her. If this was local bar kareoke i woulg have hit her in the arse with my corona lime
  • PortaPocketGal 2012/01/17 17:14:20
    Tough day
    PortaPocketGal
    +2
    I've heard and seen worse train wrecks...by far.
  • kelly 2012/01/17 17:09:29
    Tough day
    kelly
    +3
    a few things,
    1 think of all the american artists out there who we love to hear on the radio but when it comes to preforming live they screw up.
    2 she sings in a very low register, thats kinda hard to do for girls and to make it sound good is difficult
    3 if any of you are like me this was the first time you heard of her, thus youre extra critical. and back to reason number 1, the first time youve probably heard your favorite artist was on the radio or in a music video where their voices were corrected and edited and had multiple re-dos. so you expect everyone who preforms live to be just as perfect as what you hear from the recording studio, which wont happen all that often
  • Prettyawesome 2012/01/17 16:44:07
    Talentless
    Prettyawesome
    +2
    I agree with Juliette Lewis 100%
  • Get Bashed 2012/01/17 16:30:39
    Talentless
    Get Bashed
    +3
    TALENTLESS....same goes for the people that decided to sign her. Didn't we already watch Fiona Apple do these performances!
  • Diddley Squat 2012/01/17 16:26:17
    Tough day
    Diddley Squat
    +1
    That off key "oooh ooooh" stuff (at about 1:13) was scary. But she has potential, or least "potential potential."

And she's better than Britney Spears.... but who isn't?

Hate the dress.
  • Mad Moose Mama 2012/01/17 16:24:43
    Talentless
    Mad Moose Mama
    +2
    Juliette Lewis is one to talk...I couldn't imagine that screechy voice singing anything...shudder~!!

2014/12/22 19:54:00