KISS Is the Latest Band to Record Analog: Do You Prefer Analog or Digital Recording?

Fergie 2012/10/09 23:00:00
Related Topics: Music, Kiss, Analog, Digital
KISS' 20th studio album titled Monster was released today on Universal and is already garnering rave reviews. In an interview for Rolling Stone, singer Paul Stanley opened up about the making of the album and what makes it so special. One defining factor is the way the album was recorded: analog (recording to tape) instead of digital.

Stanley explains, "Gear that looks like Star Trek isn't what any of our heroes played on. If you can't get a great sound with your guitar plugged into an amp, you need a new guitar or a new amp."

The Foo Fighters, Band of Horses and now KISS are just a couple examples of bands moving away from digital recording and opting for analog, which results in a more raw, authentic sound and includes mistakes that aren't digitally corrected. There is an ongoing debate in the music industry about this, but what do you think? Do you prefer digital or analog recording?

ROLLINGSTONE.COM reports:
Nearly four decades on, Kiss remain an ongoing and unlikely rock roll success story, standing high on platform heels and painted in kabuki black-and-white, unloading fireballs and grinding hard-rock hooks around the world.
roll success story standing high platform heels painted kabuki black-and-

Read More: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-kiss-pa...

• Kronan_1 2012/10/10 02:44:23
    Analog
    Kronan_1
    +8
    With digital you miis the nuances that make the music pure. Anyone who says it's song that important and not the music, is an idiot and has a tin ear.

• Musicman 2013/10/04 09:15:25
    Analog
    Musicman
    And it is very obvious that analog is preferred, it's greater than 2-to-1 for analog!! POUND SAND DIGITAL MORONS!!
  • andrew 2012/10/17 02:05:06
    Digital
    andrew
    Clearer sound
  • Derbyhat 2012/10/12 05:20:43
    Analog
    Derbyhat
    Digital and digital HD is fabulous, until it pixelates and the sound breaks up and freezes, then you use language you tell your kids not to use! Analog we at least were used to and hobbles along a bit.
  • dSavanna 2012/10/11 04:08:12
    Analog
    dSavanna
    I was soooooo sad when my car didn't come with a cassette player :( Now I can't listen to "Only a Lad" the way I used to...
  • davidson5270 2012/10/11 03:44:24
    Digital
    davidson5270
    Right now digital offers the highest quality of any format. Everything is recorded digitally these days, so just converting it back to analog as a hipster gimmick is just stupid. But I'll agree that if something was produced in analog would be better if released in analog, but that never happens anymore.
  • Musicman davidso... 2013/10/04 09:00:53
    Musicman
    +2
    That is 100% wrong, it happens ALL the time, literally EVERY day. More and more musicians are recording in analog, Neil Young, Band of Horses, Kiss, The Foo Fighters, Bob Weir; Jack White and many many others. The list is long. Rush is planning to record their next release in analog.
  • LucidLoon 2012/10/10 23:04:50
    Analog
    LucidLoon
    +2
    You get a warmer sound. Digital recordings essentially cut out parts of the sound wave, so you are losing some of the sound of whatever instrument is being recorded.

recordings essentially cut parts sound wave losing sound instrument recorded
  • John Wa... LucidLoon 2012/10/12 23:12:24
    John Walker II
    Digital, if done right, is suppose to cut out those extremes that people can't normally hear so there should be no difference in quality.

"if done right" and "should be" are the operative words. It really depends on who does the mastering and how well.
  • Musicman John Wa... 2013/10/04 09:03:58 (edited)
    Musicman
    +3
    You cannot restore a sine-wave after it has been altered. You can only get an approximation of the original. Analog is the ONLY true sound format, the rest are only a facsimile.
    It's not about "mastering" whatsoever, that has NOTHING to do with how the music is originally recorded. Mastering does NOT change the format, it is simply the way to perfect the dynamics of the recording made.
  • John Wa... Musicman 2013/10/07 16:31:17 (edited)
    John Walker II
    I'm not in that industry so if there are some terms I use wrong, my apologies.

If you think about it, any recording is always an imperfect facsimile of the original.

Speakers work by the /switching/ of the electrical current (on-> off or off->on), so fundamentally, no playback device at all can replicate a sine wave.. not even the old vinyls.

The old vinyl record had the limitation of the substrate used as the reinforcement. It utterly failed to hold it's shape in a variety of conditions, ranging from heat to handling and use. Use it too much and the grooves would be dug in too deep to play a good song.

Magnetic tapes do stretch and warp with use, and the magnetic signals on that tape do fade in time.

Pure digital recordings hold up the best, but now it's the playback hardware that is in question, and storage. Hardware fails, speakers get warped, you know the drill.
  • Patty T 2012/10/10 22:20:38
    Analog
    Patty T
    THAT is such a GREAT shot of Paul Stanley~! I had such a crush on him when I was in my teens ;) High school~! ;) Boo Ya~!
  • NeutronBomb 2012/10/10 20:49:03
    Analog
    NeutronBomb
    +1
    I prefer analog for sound always but for storage and convenience digital has its place
  • Amasaman 2012/10/10 19:32:55 (edited)
    Analog
    Amasaman
    +2
    Analog can be reproduced live much easier. It is in fact, what is played in the studio. Many times bands hide their talent behind the digital recording process and can't play live.

I've seen a few bands like this. They have a great sounding studio album, but live, the singer can't carry a tune in a bucket, the guitarist can't play the same solo twice in a row, and the drummer can't keep a beat if his life depended on it. Sad to see, and I've seen it.
  • Cat 2012/10/10 19:00:30
    Analog
    Cat
    I'd rather have a physical copy, but I do like having digital for my iPod.
  • nightcrawler2005 2012/10/10 18:24:07
    Analog
    nightcrawler2005
    +2
    I don't care what anyone says the sound is far superior on analog. Besides I love my Vinyl.
  • john brenni 2012/10/10 15:20:49
  • Asa Core 2012/10/10 14:44:51
    Analog
    Asa Core
    i like em both though.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/10/10 13:51:07
  • glen 2012/10/10 13:45:09
    Analog
    glen
    +1
    Digital limits the sound quality by filtering it ! Pure crisp music is analog,any audiophile will tell you that.digital recording can make anyone sound good ,it's not a true medium for recording .
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/10/10 13:43:32 (edited)
  • Jim 2012/10/10 10:44:50
    Analog
    Jim
    +2
    There's no doubt that analog is superior for audio quality. The advantage of digital is portability i.e. iPods.

Yeah, I still have my old Sony Walkman cassette player but, cassette tapes never tracked consistently and you waste battery power fast forwarding or rewinding.
  • Playerazzi 2012/10/10 07:11:00
    Digital
    Playerazzi
    When there is some degradation in transferring the data from one location to another, analog data suffers irreversably. Digital does too, but because the information is in digital format and it doesn't matter if the "1" is this high or a little lower - it's still a "1" - the information still comes through clearly.

It takes several generations of recording and transferring for the effect to be heard in an analog recording. The first generation always sounds pristine.
  • WWZ Captain 2012/10/10 05:06:24
    Analog
    WWZ Captain
    +1
    Both have their purposes. For pop bands, digital is the way to go, everything has to be so crisp and precise, but for rock bands, especially the harder bands, like KISS, or Metallica, or my band, analog is the better option, it's supposed to be a little muddy, that's what rock n roll is all about, or as the living legend Paul Stanley says, that's how our heroes did it. Now for editing, yeah, PRO TOOLS ALL THE WAY !! LOL !
  • Raithere 2012/10/10 04:41:40
    Analog
    Raithere
    +1
    Analog is definitely better, if you have the right system and are listening to a masterpiece performance. And it's certainly a good idea to record the master in analog, you can always convert to digital.
  • M A 2012/10/10 03:58:42
    Analog
    M A
    "Gear that looks like Star Trek"

Thats all your going to get from the top 100
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/10/10 03:54:35
    Digital
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    Digital is clearer, cleaner, and more versatile. You can do a lot of effects with digital that you can't do with analog. Analog is limited but more real because it's harder to fix mistakes/hide them which is okay sometimes. You can record in both and then mix the two versions to get the best of both worlds.
  • Amasaman freakou... 2012/10/10 19:22:32
    Amasaman
    +1
    Effects? You missed what Paul said. If you can't get a great sound with your guitar and amp, get a new one. My take is to practice more and learn the nuances of your instrument, not how to push buttons on a digital recorder and make it do things that you can't do with your fingers on a fretboard.
  • luke 2012/10/10 03:38:12
    Digital
    luke
    They probably recorded analog because they're all too old to figure out how to do digital.
  • Chris -... luke 2012/10/10 13:45:34
  • luke Chris -... 2012/10/10 16:12:21
  • Chris -... luke 2012/10/10 22:20:27
  • Musicman luke 2013/10/04 09:10:35
    Musicman
    +3
    No, it's because they are intelligent, unlike some. Analog is coming back because of those who are knowledgeable and know audio.
  • luke Musicman 2013/10/04 12:49:13
    luke
    45456456

Apparently you missed the reply I made above, in which I blatantly stated that my post was an attempt at humour.
  • JCLadybug 2012/10/10 02:52:36
    Digital
    JCLadybug
    Digital sounds better. It is more "true" sound. The analog sound is attributed to how it is recorded, and it is not as crisp. I believe most conductors prefer digital, I'm inclined to side with them over popular music.
  • Musicman JCLadybug 2013/10/04 09:12:00
    Musicman
    +3
    Digital is crap, it is NOT the "true sound" it is only a facsimile of the original sine-wave of sound. Analog IS the true sound, digital is an APPROXIMATION of the sound. Fact.
  • JCLadybug JCLadybug 2013/10/04 18:28:27
    JCLadybug
    Your opinion, not fact. Listen to old orchestras on analog vs. digital. Digital is way better and more comparable to being in the room than analog.
  • Kronan_1 2012/10/10 02:44:23
    Analog
    Kronan_1
    +8
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/10/10 01:28:16
    Analog
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +7
    I'm glad someone still gets it.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/10/10 01:22:20
    Digital
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    It's the song that matters...not the way it was recorded.
  • ladyvoldemort 2012/10/10 00:36:37
    Digital
    ladyvoldemort
    Vinyl and cassette tapes look cool, but they take up too much space.

2014/10/22 23:28:56