Kid Athlete Banned for Being Too Good: Fair or Foul?

Sports 2012/04/30 19:00:00
Keeling Pilaro is just your average 13-year-old. He goes to school. He plays sports. He likes to have fun. Oh, he's also better than most in his age range when it comes to field hockey. Unfortunately for the young New Yorker, that seems to be a problem with some people. Rather than letting this young phenom showcase his stuff, officials are keeping the Southampton, NY high school student off the field hockey team because he's too good.

Now, while he does play on the girls team, due to the lack of a men's team, he doesn't exactly have a competitive advantage when it comes to physical stature. In reality, Pilaro is only 4'8" and 82 pounds. If he's not careful, the wind could blow him away. And Pilaro has certainly blown away his field hockey teammates and opponents, He's been the most dominant field hockey player in the area for the last two years, yet he won't be allowed to play on the team in the fall.

Both Pilaro's mother and father have protested the banning of their son for being “too good,” thus far to no avail. Pilaro is originally from Ireland, where field hockey is just as popular with males there as it is with females in the United States. Now Southampton's leading scorer may not be able to play the sport he loves, due to some insecure officials. What could have been a feel-good story for Southampton field hockey is now a sad tale about a young man not being allowed to play the sport he loves -- and is great at. Do you think the news is fair or foul?

• the_old_coach 2012/04/30 20:03:48
    Foul
    the_old_coach
    +19
    This isn't the first time this has happened, and as a high school coach for 31 years, makes me ill. This is all about several issues: first, "self-esteem," a phony-baloney new-age, feel-good (for some and not others?) concept that has been debunked several times but still finds its way into our sports activities, and #2, Title IX, another liberal concept that has backfired as much as it has helped: girls may wrestle on the boys team, and they may play football on the boys team, but as you can see, boys cannot play on the girls field hockey team or on the girls volleyball team. It's become garbage legislation.

When the government gets involved, everything gets ruined. You want to know why the USA is no longer competitive? It's stuff like this. "Every kid gets a trophy." SPARE ME!

Every kid gets a trophy

• Casey Coleman 2013/08/09 03:39:59
    Foul
    Casey Coleman
    Just plain silly. All kids should be able to do whatever sport they like and no matter if they are good at it or not. Isn't it called playing for a reason. Just play. Those opposed, I feel sorry for you.
  • tj ~(^-^)~ 2012/05/13 07:42:02
    Foul
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    Really? Some people actually said 'Fair'?
    Foul
    Hope he sues
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/05/06 18:20:41
  • Muriel 2012/05/06 18:17:11
    Foul
    Muriel
    +1
    The ignorant stupidity of these high school administrators makes one wonder how they got the position in the first place. The concept of he does to well coincides with the dumbing down of America. No competition , no keeping score because of hurt feelings, total NONSENCE.!!!!!!!
  • Sarah 2012/05/06 04:07:49
    Foul
    Sarah
    +1
    What the hell??!! Why are kids being kicked off things they're good at, it basically like saying you have to suck at a sport to play it. Who knows, this kid could have had a future in field hockey.
  • Fluffywolf, eater of chocolate 2012/05/04 23:27:26
    Foul
    Fluffywolf, eater of chocolate
    +1
    God Dammit, he's doing well! Why do none of them appreciate that! if he's good, let him be good! This... this is notalwaysright.com levels of stupidity here.
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2012/05/02 18:13:52
    Foul
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +1
    they shouldnt ban the kid... if he's too good have him play in better competition
  • Nameless 2012/05/02 00:24:27
    Foul
    Nameless
    He should be allowed to play, period.
  • Broken 2012/05/01 23:10:57
    Foul
    Broken
    +1
    We are fast becoming a country dominated by socialist thinkers.
  • Nameless Broken 2012/05/02 00:25:52
    Nameless
    +1
    Huh? I am a socialist and I think the kid should be allowed to play. Perhaps you meant to select that it was fair for him to be told he could not play?
  • ZB 2012/05/01 22:06:55
    Foul
    ZB
    +2
    Ridiculous.
  • MikeReale 2012/05/01 19:57:29
    Foul
    MikeReale
    +1
    dont worry kid you'll be laughing when when your pro
  • MakeCash25.com 2012/05/01 19:31:35
  • prosperhappily 2012/05/01 19:27:10
    Foul
    prosperhappily
    +2
    This is crap. The officials are jackasses. If we punish kids for success, they'll either become mediocre or head someplace that rewards it and compete against us. either way, we lose.
  • wpsark 2012/05/01 19:03:52
    Foul
    wpsark
    +2
    the wussification of the world continues...When I was growing up, I was always told that there's always someone better at whatever it is you do. There are winners and losers in most everything but now there's no need to be competitive when we live in a society where the "weak" is allowed to bring down the "strong".....Who can say "Orwellian"????
  • Nameless wpsark 2012/05/02 00:28:06
    Nameless
    +3
    When I was a 7 yr old skinny knock-kneed little girl, I was catcher for the neighborhood boys baseball team. (Just pick up ball) However, I had a decent arm for being so scrawny and the boys knew I wasn't scared. I'd stand at the plate to receive the ball from the OF with a runner from 3B bearing down on me. I stood my ground and never dropped the ball; although, I had my bell rung a couple of times. LOL!
  • wpsark Nameless 2012/05/02 17:59:53
    wpsark
    way to go
  • Maurice... Nameless 2012/05/03 06:46:24
    Maurice Tillman
    Though it has little to do with this, that's how women can become equal. If women are expected to perform the same tasks, it'll make them women stronger, and it makes us respect you more as professionals. Even if you physically cannot perform the task as effeciently, we'll truly respect your effort. Thumbs up to you!
  • FatherLiberty 2012/05/01 18:25:23
    Foul
    FatherLiberty
    +1
    Well... the question was a bit misleading. If he was banned from a boys team for being too good that would be ridiculous. If the real reason he was banned is because there was only a girls team, that is a different story. Being "too good" compared to girls makes sense. Girls cant compete with boys when it comes to sports.
  • Nameless FatherL... 2012/05/02 00:30:21
    Nameless
    LOL! I cannot believe you said that. I would have whooped your behind in all sorts of things when I was younger just for saying that. Also, field hockey is a rough sport, but it's not an all out contact sport. Your comment is ridiculous.
  • FatherL... Nameless 2012/05/02 15:40:10
    FatherLiberty
    I was being sarcastic, just so you know. I'm sure plenty of girls can beat me at just about every sport.
  • Nameless FatherL... 2012/05/02 22:16:42
    Nameless
    Remember that . ; )
  • Bob DiN 2012/05/01 18:06:40
    Foul
    Bob DiN
    +2
    Punishing success is getting to be a habit.
  • Carson 2012/05/01 18:01:43
  • Lonna121593 2012/05/01 17:57:03
    Foul
    Lonna121593
    +3
    The whole point of sports is to have fun and kick ass. He does both whats the problem!?
  • fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust" 2012/05/01 17:03:27
    Foul
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +2
    Amazing how we are speeding headlong towards Kurt Vonnegut's future foretold in Harrison Bergeron
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/05/01 16:49:05
  • Rebel [SHP] 2012/05/01 16:40:56
    Foul
    Rebel [SHP]
    +9
    Girls can play on boys teams now because before it was gender discrimination....now that the tables have turned...it's not. Anyone else smell the smell of hypocrisy and double standards in the air?
  • Eddie_D... Rebel [... 2012/05/01 16:47:33
  • 2012/05/01 15:30:54
    Foul
    +3
    foul. why is it wrong to be good at something that alot of others are not? they are punishing him because he can out perform others on some sport. next thing they will not allow elites runners run in marathons anymore because they are just too good at it and make all the money and make the other runners feel bad. I guess that equaity stuff they keep pushing down everyones throat is not about equal oppertunity or equal in treatment under the law, but they want everyone to be equal in everything including equal in misery. and don't be a elite at something that majority are not or you will be scolded and put into the corner to think it over.

so they are worried that others will be envious or jealous of anothers ability they dont have? so instead of teaching people to control their selfish inclinations they would rather cater to them and make the victims of that selfish inclinations have to do the yielding for the sake of peace.being envious or jealous of anothers ability or accomplishments (provided they did not cheat or commit a lawless act to do it) is a serious character flaw. in my day they would call you a poor sport or sore loser if you had such feelings for another. also in my day what they would do is find something you are good at and encourage you to pursue that. it is...

so they are worried that others will be envious or jealous of anothers ability they dont have? so instead of teaching people to control their selfish inclinations they would rather cater to them and make the victims of that selfish inclinations have to do the yielding for the sake of peace.being envious or jealous of anothers ability or accomplishments (provided they did not cheat or commit a lawless act to do it) is a serious character flaw. in my day they would call you a poor sport or sore loser if you had such feelings for another. also in my day what they would do is find something you are good at and encourage you to pursue that. it is amazing how in fields of crime now in fields of human endeavors the victims are now teh criminals and the criminals the victims. how things have changed. if you strive to better yourself, spiritually, emotionally, physically, and even economically (done honestly of course) the more they want to oppress you demonize you and turn you into some kind of criminal or treat you like your selfish for not conforming to the crowd.

rose
  • rockyjr5 2012/05/01 15:13:15
    Foul
    rockyjr5
    +2
    That's the stupidest thing I had heard.
  • Oblahblah 2012/05/01 15:05:02
    Foul
    Oblahblah
    +3
    This is pathetic. Why are kids being punished for being good at sports? First we have teams giving awards to everyone for "trying" instead of only the winners being awarded and now you're banned for being too good? Why do our kids and their feelings need to be shielded from losing?
  • ladyfyre 2012/05/01 15:01:17
    Foul
    ladyfyre
    +3
    Foul. 100%. Proper team-mentality would have them teaching the child to share opportunity and not always be the star IF in fact that is the issue, which I doubt. The child is obviously being treated unfairly. In a world where we are trying to espouse equality for women (which I would rather personally call equality for all) we shouldn't be punishing a female for being female or in this case a male for being male - seems to me like they were just trying to find an excuse to get a "boy" off the "girls" team. If a female player was "that" good, she wouldn't be booted off the team, I would imagine. Let the kid play. As a former athlete myself, it would only motivate the rest of the team to get better. When surrounded by talent, the motivated improve, and the untalented apparently try to off the competition. ;)
  • jacktown kid 2012/05/01 14:58:35
    Foul
    jacktown kid
    +2
    Thats disgusting
  • Vitalani 2012/05/01 14:54:39
    Foul
    Vitalani
    +3
    Unfair. And the people making this about political affiliation are idiots. Just sayin'.
  • jackie 2012/05/01 14:04:37
    Foul
    jackie
    +3
    Banning him... Because hes good? What an idiotic reason!
  • Theresa2000 2012/05/01 14:01:31
    Foul
    Theresa2000
    +2
    But if it was reversed, and it was a girl kicked off, it would be discrimination and all hell would break loose.
  • Theresa... Theresa... 2012/05/01 14:05:09
    Theresa2000
    +1
    *a girl kicked off a boys team*
  • CAPISCE 2012/05/01 13:48:11
    Foul
    CAPISCE
    +3
    Liberalism strikes again

2014/08/30 16:28:28