Kentucky Wins NCAA Championship: Were You Rooting for Them?

SodaHead Sports 2012/04/03 16:00:00
On Monday night, the University of Kentucky college basketball team climbed to the top of the NCAA mountain, winning the eighth national championship in the program's history. Top-seeded Kentucky defeated No. 2 seeded Kansas, 67-59, to win it all, after surviving the NCAA Tournament that is March Madness.

Top freshman prospect, forward Anthony Davis, who is widely expected to be a top pick in the NBA Draft, did not have his best night -- scoring only six points and went 1-10 in field goals. On the bright side, Davis did display his toughness, grabbing 16 rebounds -- just one shy of the game-high 17 from Kansas forward Thomas Robinson.

Kentucky guard Doron Lamb led all players with a game-high 22 points, helping lead the team to its first national championship since 1998. Head coach John Calipari came in a few seasons ago with controversy surrounding how he runs his basketball programs. In spite of all that, he brought Kentucky a championship -- and the first of his career.

ncaa

• **Southern Man** 2012/05/02 17:25:52 (edited)
  • Cari 2012/04/08 00:48:16
    Cari
    +1
    Though a bit biased because I am from Kentucky and have been a uk fan since I came out of the womb, I do believe they deserved to win. This is the first UK team under Cal where some players have not only connected individually with Calipari, but have connected as a team and really pulled together and worked well rather than previous teams UK has had (specifically speaking against other Calipari led teams).

Also, those that say these guys only want to go to the NBA, please compare them to the attitudes of Wall and Cousins when they played at UK and come back and talk to me.
  • Dave 007 2012/04/07 12:07:32
    Dave 007
    The players on Kentucky can't spell Kentucky and could care less who and where they played for 1 year.
  • Dodgerfan 2012/04/06 02:00:33
    Dodgerfan
    +1
    If it couldn't be Western Ky. then UK is all right by me. Would have rooted for UL had they won Saturday night.
  • Cathy 2012/04/05 17:18:11
    Cathy
    Yep, I said...may the best one win and they did, lol!
  • John Hall 2012/04/05 15:06:59
    John Hall
    +1
    I hoped they would win because they are in the SEC conferance .
  • runningcheeseballs 2012/04/05 14:25:25
    runningcheeseballs
    +1
    cause they rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO GO U.K.
  • DOriginalDonald 2012/04/05 01:25:20
    DOriginalDonald
    Congrats to (VACATED) on winning the National Championship
  • wildcat 2012/04/05 01:04:56
    wildcat
    Though not a Kansas University fan, I am from Kansas after all.
  • Doc Frank stein 2012/04/05 00:18:16
    Doc Frank stein
    NO LOL...
    I was more interested in Fremantle Dockers win last week!
  • Doc Fra... Doc Fra... 2012/04/05 00:23:34
    Doc Frank stein
    Sorry - wrong season!!!
    This one:

• Apache 2012/04/04 23:45:21
  • k.l.white1 2012/04/04 23:28:15
    k.l.white1
    +1
    not so much that i wanted kentucky to win-i just wanted ku to lose
  • CAPISCE 2012/04/04 20:04:24
    CAPISCE
    I will never root for the over-hyped SEC in any sport.
  • Portholus 2012/04/04 19:39:44
    Portholus
    +1
    Did not watch the game but born and bread in Kentucky and the state tends to bleed blue and white. Glad they won.
  • nadia bieber 2012/04/04 18:48:18
    nadia bieber
    +1
    im a Carolina fan and they beat us by one in the regular season. when we got out the tournement i was rooting for Louisville because i like Peyton Siva. then they beat them. so no i wasn't cheering for them. even though Kansas beat Carolina i still wasn't cheering for them. also because Calipari is a cheater... and all they're players are ugly so there's no reason to cheer for them(yeah... remember im a girl).
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/04/04 18:21:19
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    Kentucky is my favorite college basketball team. North Carolina is my second favorite. As long as Duke didn't win it (I can't stand them) than I would at least be able to accept it. If Kentucky won than I'd be a very happy woman! Which they did so I'm estatic!!!!!!!
  • Tennessee3501 2012/04/04 18:10:20
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    Kentucky is in the SEC. John Calipari came so close a few years ago with Mempis. I was rooting for them to win it all and hey did!
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/04/04 18:00:17
    t.eliot, topbard
    They were clearly the best team, but the tournament is much more interesting when there is a greater element of suspense, or when the usual suspects do not dominate the final 4.
  • Bob DiN 2012/04/04 17:42:02
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Really don't care that much. Not a basketball fan.
  • Tre 2012/04/04 17:36:32
    Tre
    +2
    I dont have any thing against the players or the school. But they have the most obnoxious fans I've ever seen. They currently have the most wins in college basketball history and 8 national championships but still get jealous and offended when someone talks good about another team other than KY. It's like no other team is ever worthy to be talked good about except for Ky. Plus their coach should be banned from coaching college basketball for getting to previous schools on probation for rules violations. Sorta like someone hiring Bernie Madoff again.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/04/04 16:41:37
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +2
    Kal has no loyalty or ethics, KY beware. He or the team was about ready to get in trouble for something here, so he moved. Told the people here that really liked him, he had no plans to go anywhere and the next day he was gone. Loser..I don't care about basketball but from what I saw on tv, his followers got screwed.
  • theprothinker 2012/04/04 16:35:04
    theprothinker
    +3
    Didn't matter to me who wins. If it's a local team for me, I may have some feeling about it, but otherwise, I'd rather watch paint dry.
  • Robert 2012/04/04 16:20:39
    Robert
    +3
    I kind of like Calipari. I wasn't familiar with the controversies surrounding him and his programs, but what I've learned, I can say at least he isn't a hypocrite. He knows his boys want to go pro and he develops them for that. And he's had some good ones. Derrick Rose and John Wall are good examples. To determine that Calipari is a prime example of the problems with college sports is, IMOP, a mistake. The NCAA rules that players cannot receive financial help but has gotten insanely wealthy off of them and society supports this, while claiming support of the players at the same time. If a player has a pro game, why not get coached to develop a pro type game and then go pro and go back to school later. Anthony Davis needs to play college ball for at least one more year to fill his body out. His footwork is great however and I found out why, Two years ago he was a 6'2" guard and he grew 8" in two years, DAMN! I though he grew up playing soccer. But his body needs to fill out. Amare, Dwight, Joakim and the other big men will kill him. He might not be as bad as Greg Oden but he will have problems because he's too thin up top. Son stay another year and build yourself up.
  • freakou... Robert 2012/04/04 18:13:41
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    David Robinson grew 7'' while in college- all during his freshmen and sophomore years-(he grew 5'' in high school) at the Naval academy. He became an NBA great with the San Antonio Spurs winning two championships. He went from 6'2'' as a freshman in high school to 7'1'' by the time he was a junior in college.
  • Robert freakou... 2012/04/05 15:38:05
    Robert
    That's right Robinson sure did grew that much in about 5 years. I did know about his NBA career though. And apparently you agree with my position that Anthony Davis needs to fill out more in order to compete with the NBA centers.
  • Dwight N 2012/04/04 16:05:17
    Dwight N
    +3
    Not only no, but Hell No! Don't know if Calipari is for sure a cheater, or "merely" shady, but if you want to see a great example of how a college basketball program SHOULD be run, look to the state just North of KY for Coach Tom Crean's way, or for that matter, even Purdue's. As for the future, FEAR THE INDIANA HOOSIERS!
  • smitty Dwight N 2012/04/04 17:59:55 (edited)
    smitty
    +1
    Didn't Indiana just go through some NCAA violations?
  • Dwight N smitty 2012/04/10 14:58:58
    Dwight N
    What I'm guessing you're referring to is hardly "just go through", it happened 5 years ago under a previous coach, the creep Kelvin Sampson and his crew who violated NCAA rules big time with respect to the number of phone calls/contacts made to recruits, and IU fired his sleazy ass, and hired Tom Crean who over the last 4 years has taken a basketball program burned to the ground and from the ashes built it -honestly - back to prominence that is finally being recognized, i.e., IU is rated #1 in the NATION for pre-season 2012-13! Now that MAY be premature, but still...!! GO HOOSIERS!
  • smitty Dwight N 2012/04/10 18:53:14
    smitty
    +1
    Yup happened 5 years ago. Not quite a lifetime ago. I thought we were talking about Indiana Basketball not Sampson basketball.

Now you are jacking about Calipari.. I know you said he may or may not be. Quite frankly he has done nothing wrong in the past. So to call him shady is just plain ignorance. I can call Crean shady as well... It would have about as much credibility as you calling Calipari shady.

I am glad IU is back. I am not a Knight fan... I can't stand the guy. The worst part is the guy behind used to play for Boobie Knight. I got to deal with him all the time. Good thing now I got a win in the tourney to come back with when he is over.
  • Dwight N smitty 2012/04/11 03:06:18
    Dwight N
    Indiana basketball...correct. Sampson, albeit in the past, a part of IU ball....yes. I was simply trying to address your original question. Cuz Coach Crean is squeaky clean. Yourcoach Cal? Nothing has been proven....yet...of any wrongdoing. I'm hardly "jacking" on him. "Ignorant"? Not nice, but wrong too. Coach Cal, LOTTA speculation, right or wrong, about his.behavior - time may tell. Just going along with the crowd that suspects it. Versus Crean who has NONE of that kind of talk. And like you - I'm no fan of Knight either.I think he's mean, rude jerk - to put it mildly.
  • smitty Dwight N 2012/04/11 12:49:25
    smitty
    +1
    Going along with the crowd? Oh yeah, that is sweet!

You are Crean doesn't. Give it time. It just a matter of time before the NCAA goes through all the top schools. They hit KY and I am sure they will be back. They are busy hitting the other schools now. Just ask Syracuse and UConn.
  • angie45 2012/04/04 15:16:36
    angie45
    +1
    of course... i live in kentucky...lol
  • jacktown kid 2012/04/04 15:10:50
    jacktown kid
    +2
    Won 350 dollars
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/04/04 15:06:26
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +4
    MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME
  • smitty BIG BAD... 2012/04/04 18:07:24 (edited)
    smitty
    +1
    Is it November 2012 yet? Great Game Kansas..

• David 2012/04/04 15:05:18
    David
    +2
    Frankly, I DGARA who wins or loses in college or pro sports.
  • ladyO 2012/04/04 14:49:50
  • Joobie 2012/04/04 14:34:07
    Joobie
    +3
    I HATE John Calipari...my hope is that like his other big wins at Memphis & UMASS, this title will be vacated by the NCAA coz the man is a total sleazeball! I also think that the culture of "one & done" that he's is cultivating at UK is bad for college basketball.
  • OneLast... Joobie 2012/04/04 15:02:51 (edited)
    OneLastWord
    +1
    He did not do that, “One and Done” listen to the news, that has something to do with the NBA I believe. He said during the final four, what he see as the best path year in and year out, to recruit top talent that have only one thing in mind, and that’s going to the NBA! Then he says "until THEY change this,"

Who is THEY, I assume it's the NBA that won't recruit an 18 yr old just like the NFL, and they (NBA) make some rule to stop recruiting freshman and sophomores.

John says after U-Mass and Memphis, and now at Kentucky he is under great scrutiny by the university on anything that has to do with basketball players at UK. He says he likes it they way for verification he is doing the right thing when he approaches a young man about basketball.

The universities are also responsible for recruiting. "Sour grapes" at U-Mass?

2014/04/23 14:41:50