John Lennon's Imagine: Who Does The Best Cover Of Imagine?

AARGH! 2011/06/21 18:13:04

SLIDESHOW: Who Does The Best Cover Of Imagine?

1 of 4

Eva Cassidy

Imagine
  1. Eva Cassidy

Eva Cassidy

Imagine

2. A Perfect Circle

A Perfect Circle

Imagine

3. Pink featuring Seal

Pink featuring Seal

Imagine

4. David Bowie

David Bowie

Imagine

One of the greatest rock songs ever written is Imagine. Almost everyone has covered this classic. We all know John's is the best but I've listed just a few but there are so many more...from Glee to Queen (would have included but the quality was weak). So with all these covers who do you think did the best job of covering this classic?

• Veritas 2011/06/22 12:52:16
    None Of The Above. This Is It...
    Veritas
    +1
    To me all the others blow (nothing personal Aargh!). As always, I have an annoying story.

I love when Neil Young covered it for the 9-11 fundraiser, I cried my eyes out. It was a terrible time. Not only was it my birthday and I used to work in the building across the street connected by the passenger bridge, I couldn't find my brother who worked down there at first. Also, WTC was the last place I ever had dinner with my father before he died (Windows on the World). Hey, worked on Wall Street at the time and had a big bonus. We sat on the table on the left in the picture below. Glad he didn't live to see what happened.

Neil Young is the only cover I've heard that did it with such feeling, I don't know how HE didn't cry.

picture glad live neil young cover ive heard feeling WTC  Windows of the World restaurant
  • AARGH! Veritas 2011/06/22 13:01:07
  • Veritas AARGH! 2011/06/22 13:15:31
    Veritas
    +1
    Okay . . . I did give your songs a good listen after I pontificated and I have to say the Eva version a good listen and will add it to my collection. May try to play and sing too for one of my bar sets since she does it with a guitar! Hopefully, no one will throw anything at me!
  • AARGH! Veritas 2011/06/22 13:24:45
  • spike 2011/06/22 00:03:04
    None Of The Above. This Is It...
    spike
    +2
    I've never heard a decent cover to "Imagine"
  • Veritas spike 2011/06/22 12:58:55
    Veritas
    +2
    Really? Have you heard this one? Neil Young performed it for the 9-11 fundraiser. I think John Lennon would have been pleased. No one can sing it like John Lennon, and had he been alive, I am certain he would have been saddened of the events and would have performed it himself. Mr. Young did it some justice. Just my opinion though! Respectfully . . . V-

• spike Veritas 2011/06/22 22:53:58
    spike
    +2
    no, i haven't...it really wouldn't matter to me how well it's performed; anyone but John (on this song) is a disappointment. there are only a few songs that are like that for me; "tell it like it is" is another. heart covered it 'fairly well', but if anyone but Aaron Neville is singing it, i just walk away. it's a personal thing
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2011/06/21 19:40:00
    None Of The Above. This Is It...
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    Wrong answer.. sorry
  • AARGH! Wilde~M... 2011/06/21 22:24:12
  • Wilde~M... AARGH! 2011/06/21 23:04:36
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    I was thinking of a different song all together...
  • Queen Tamara/Tamar Mepe 2011/06/21 19:25:54
    A Perfect Circle...
    Queen Tamara/Tamar Mepe
    +1
    The best! Well in my mind! :)
  • Pocahontas 2011/06/21 19:08:41
    Pink...
    Pocahontas
    +1
    eva cassidy had a great voice but her cover doesn't sound like the same song at all. a perfect circle did a great job, they always do, but again - not the song John Lennon sang. I never quite liked david bowie. and pink-seal-inida.arie's cover was just well sung and it brought me the feeling I expect from that song to bring.
  • AARGH! 2011/06/21 18:31:17 (edited)

2014/09/23 00:26:43