Jenny McCarthy's Cure for Autism - Do You Believe It?

funkadelica 2008/10/01 19:06:55
Yes, Jenny McCarthy's got the cure!
No, McCarthy just thinks she has the cure.
I think Jenny McCarthy...
Jenny McCarthy has found a cure for her autistic son, Evan. McCarthy states Evan has been taking b-12 shots and has been put on a special diet. While on Oprah, Jenny McCarthy defends the treatment by saying that God has sent her this message of a cure for autism. Parents believe Jenny McCarthy is giving them false hope for a cure for their autistic children.

Autism is a developmental disorder; delayed language development, having a difficult time interacting with others, and a preference to be alone are some symptoms of autism. As many as 1 in 150 people are diagnosed with autism. Autism is thought to be passed down by genetics, but there is no exact cause.

Do you think Jenny McCarthy's treatment can cure autism?

• lisa 2013/05/22 23:57:11
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    lisa
    I dont believe that a person can be "cured" from Autism . I am a mother of a child with Autism. Jenny's claims are hurting kids more than helping. Insurance companies are taking away needed intervention and therapy from children now once they show improvement . Then with in a matter of time they regress or show signs of further delays they are with out the needed support. Basically when a child is considered "cured" or typical they are taken off the spectrum and left with nothing . Nothing changed , they were not cured they need on going support and treatment . Our Dr was very clear and Im thankful for it. Autism is more than just some developmental delays , its not verbal or non verbal . Rather than looking at it like the flu or cancer see it like being left handed . There is no cure but you still need to learn to live in a right handed world . Please Jenny ,Please stop . From a mom of a little girl with HFA , its part of who she is not what she has!
  • ken 2009/09/23 04:42:43
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    ken
    +1
    i just really hope that my brother is healed one day so he can live a normal life and that my dad can have someone to call a son.
  • Callie 2009/05/08 00:49:59
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Callie
    Yes, Jenny McCarthy who failed out of nursing school, posed naked in Playboy, and came to fame through fart jokes on MTV is smarter than thousands of doctors, researchers, and scientists. All those guys have is education and research to back them up. She is perky and blond and will show you her boobs if you give her enough money... I totally think she's got it right here.
  • Diane 2009/02/09 19:05:39
    Yes, Jenny McCarthy's got the cure!
    Diane
    Educate yourself. Although there may be a genetic predisposition, autistic kids respond wildly to nutrition & bio-medical interventions. Jenny's activism including pro-biotics, b12, and gluten-casein diet for starters have done more for autism in the past few years than doctors have done in the past 40. My son is well on the way to recovery and Jenny's crusade to get the knowledge out there to parents is a big part of the reason. Ignorant people should educate themselves. Thank god for Jenny (I'm not religious but what the hell)
  • Fluff 2009/01/06 21:30:03
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Fluff
    is fooling herslef if she thinks her son passes for normal and the media that she is getting weathy from is bing very irresponsible. This alledged cure only promotes more myth and points fingers at parents who are too sensible to fall for every bit of quackery that's out there to "cure" our autistic kids. If we want to tell our kids that they are crystal or indigo kids, this might be very helpful for them. Childhood is about magic and possibilities., As parents we need need to see and encourage what is good about our children's differences. We also need to keep a foot in reality!
  • Autistic-Head 2008/12/26 11:32:18
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Autistic-Head
    +1
    is just another parent who doesn't really know what it's like to live autistic; thus how does she know if the cure is working or not if she can't experience the cure herself?
  • marrho 2008/12/25 16:59:18
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    marrho
    has found the treatments that work for her son. However, every child and situtation is different. I do think it is great she is sharing her story with others because what worked for her son may work for other autistic children. She has devoted herself to the cause and it is a wonderful thing.
  • chrissy 2008/12/11 23:37:47
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    chrissy
    ok who ever put up this stupid message is wrong..jenny never said anything about finding a cure!!!!! for 1 she said that you can RECOVER from autism and prevent it by not getting all them shot put in our children, and get them sepratly..and i do believe her because i have a few freind who beats the hell out of them selfs everyday for getting there kids the shots. Jenny is not giving false hope if anything shes giving all these parents out there a shit load of help..jenny keep fighting for your baby boy and dont listen to all the haters out here that dont know there ass from a hole in the ground...
  • Penny 2008/11/02 05:50:29
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Penny
    Jenny does not have the cure for autism. She is only doing what she thinks is best for her son! Jenny McCarthy is not a doctor. You have to adapt to their world. No two children are the same. Some will respond to intense therapy and others might not.
  • MaMaJ 2008/10/10 03:40:51
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    MaMaJ
    Try anything, My Grandson is Autistic and i would go to the ends of the earth for a cure.
  • vi 2008/10/09 22:11:25
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    vi
    I think different things can aid different people. I know suffering from MS I am unable to take the normal MS drugs without adverse results. However when I am dilligent in cuttung prossesed sugars from my diet I do much better
  • shelly 2008/10/07 18:34:38
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    shelly
    I think she may actually be on to something. Whether it could be a cure or not would have to be tested obviously but if she says it is helping her son, i think she would know her own child better than anyone.
  • disneygirl4ever 2008/10/06 19:10:19
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    disneygirl4ever
    may think she has the cure, however, this is not necessarily the cure for all children with same symptomology. Further, what convinces her that this, the B12 shots and diet, are the variables that have made the difference? Jenny and her friend Jim, are very active in sons life, and perhaps it is their constant involvement, interaction, that is the catalyst for positive change.
    Ok, so now I read ahead, and listened to the Oprah tape (thanks presbarackobama). Jenny clearly attributes Evans success to a multitude of variables. She does place emphasis on the diet.
    The original question you asked was do I believe her? and do I think her treatment can cure autism?
    Of course I believe her. I mean what mother, who clearly loves her child, would make up something just for the sake of selling a book?
    Listen, I believe that she, like most loving parents, would do anything for their children to have a chance at success in their lives. She appears to love her son and fortunately for her and her child, she has the intelligence and resources to reasearch and implement many efforts and pay for maximum hours of assistance.
    Its unfortunate that most people do not have the resources that she has available to her. Some people, most people have to work regular hours..often full time jobs, and...

Its unfortunate that most people do not have the resources that she has available to her. Some people, most people have to work regular hours..often full time jobs, and can not spend all day researching. Even if they were somehow able to take the time to reasearch, thouroughly, they may not have the money to initiate many of the programs they may desire and believe to be helpful.
    That being said, I absolutely believe her, and further I believe her message. The message from my understanding...Never to give up, to always keep trying. What I heard her saying was Dont ever stop trying to help your child and also that this diet has helped her child, maybe it may be of some benefit to you.
    You Go Jenny!!!!!!!!Keep on fighting for what you believe!!!!!
    If I had a child with Autistic symptoms, I would be grateful that she is attempting to find answers and methods which may be helpful. I empathize with her struggle.
  • GOD 2008/10/06 07:45:49
    GOD
    +1
    I hope the woman that cures cancer has a big rack so we can see her in playboy to LMAO
  • venomous 2008/10/06 04:38:17 (edited)
    venomous
    I will say there is no known cure for Autism. There is a link to the Mercury in ones brain. Some may say it was a shot, I believe it was a shot in 2000 I have an 8 year old son that has Autism. When he was 18 months I was told he had it. Before that he was speaking sentences communicating perfectly and playing with other children just fine. Shortly before 18 months he had received his normal shots as I thought it was all toddlers got. Then he wasn't talking at all, he shut down throwing fits and so on.
    Now I will say they have wonderful programs to help an Autistic child learn and be able to be in public and understand all around them. Read write and be like any other. My son is now talking, reading, and understanding all an 8 year old should be. It's all in the parent’s effort to help them out. It's all on you if they will be able to be on there own when they are older. You have to do it as young as possible. I know some children have such a higher risk and level and all you can do is keep trying. Then again I see so many kids at a young age improve and other mothers who don't even give a damn because they don't want to admit there child has it. I believe every child has a spot that can HELP them not cure them. Autism there is no cure it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. You ...'
    Now I will say they have wonderful programs to help an Autistic child learn and be able to be in public and understand all around them. Read write and be like any other. My son is now talking, reading, and understanding all an 8 year old should be. It's all in the parent’s effort to help them out. It's all on you if they will be able to be on there own when they are older. You have to do it as young as possible. I know some children have such a higher risk and level and all you can do is keep trying. Then again I see so many kids at a young age improve and other mothers who don't even give a damn because they don't want to admit there child has it. I believe every child has a spot that can HELP them not cure them. Autism there is no cure it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. You can’t take out. All you can do is assisting a child in need no matter the disorder. NEVER GIVE UP! I am so Proud of my little man I wouldn't ask for any thing more from him but is to try his best.
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2008/10/06 02:21:12 (edited)
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    The Bantam Seditioner
    means well, but I'd have to research more before I could be sure. I will say one thing though. I believe that the MMR vaccine at 18 months causes many more Autism cases than the medical establishment will readily acknowledge.

Thimerosol, the preservative used in this vaccine, is heavily laced with mercury. You don't have to be an epidemiologist for this little nugget of info to coax you into further inquiry and skepticism of these immunizations.
  • Ashley~Lady of Socks 2008/10/06 00:13:00
    Ashley~Lady of Socks
    Autism is not a disease....it can't be "cured". As someone who is on the spectrum myself, I find it somewhat insulting that people think it can. They don't realize how much of it is hardwired into your behavior and personality.
    People who are autistic can be trained and conditioned to live with it, so that they can go on to lead healthy productive lives--especially if the signs of it are caught early on--which seems to be what Jenny has successfully done with her son. However, that doesn't mean he's no longer autistic. If he stops taking the medicine or diverts from that diet, he will most likely digress back into it. And even then, the programs/medicine for autistic children are not cheap. Jenny doesn't have to worry about things like cost-effectivity, but the average person does.
  • Kenny D 2008/10/05 23:30:00
    Kenny D
    +1
    No Cure Man
  • Meisha|Apocalypse™ 2008/10/05 20:25:56
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Meisha|Apocalypse™
    has got the right idea. I don't think it's necessarily a "cure", but it is a treatment. My brother is autistic, and with different types of therapy that dedicated parent can do, you CAN help ease a kids autism and make yours and their life better. It just takes some work. I think she's amazing for advocating autism. :D
  • Crazy C 2008/10/05 17:28:57 (edited)
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Crazy C
    +3
    is trying to make the life of her son better; whether she's got the cure or not, time will tell.

Hopefully some cures do come along the way soon.

life son shes cure cures
  • D~PresidentBarackObama 2008/10/05 17:09:54
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    +2
    ...has found something that works for her son and it should be researched. I know that scientists are finding evidence that wheat gluten interferres with certain processes and adds to the symptoms of autism. I pray it continues to work for he and that it can be a breakthrough for many families.

Keep in mind that she has consulted with doctors and that she didn't make this up herself.

Note: Around the 5:10 mark she states, absolutely, that this isn't about a cure it is about recovery. She states that her story is only to give a little hope to hopeless families.

http://www.autismrecovery.com/
    A link to one mother's struggle for recovery in her young son. Rocovery happens, but Jenny speaks of no cure.
  • Crazy C D~Presi... 2008/10/05 17:36:20 (edited)
    Crazy C
    +1
    You are a very nice blogger for clearing the error of this question.

People certainly are ready to lash out...

blogger clearing error people ready lash
  • D~Presi... Crazy C 2008/10/05 17:53:50
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    +2
    It would seem so. I don't really watch Oprah, but I did watch the entire episode that Jenny was on. I didn't know, until then, that her son was autistic, so I was riveted by her account of her battle. She really is a warrior for her son and I think that her willingness to open up and share her story in the hopes of giving a ray of hope is commendable. Particularly for the funny girl.
  • !m My 0wn p3rs0n.... 2008/10/05 16:17:40
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    !m My 0wn p3rs0n....
    might have the cure, but also she might not have it.
  • Dragonez 2008/10/05 15:17:58
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Dragonez
    should do as she feels is right, but not call it a 'cure' and give false hope to parents of autistic children.
  • D~Presi... Dragonez 2008/10/05 17:11:24
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    She didn't. I posted video above of her personal statement on Oprah.
  • Flea 2008/10/05 06:24:22
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Flea
    ...should do what she thinks works for her son.If it works, fantastic. If she shares her regimen and it also works for others, great. However, she shouldn't call it a "cure"; she should claim it an "option".
  • D~Presi... Flea 2008/10/05 17:11:45
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    She calls it recovery. I posted the interview above.
  • LPE 2008/10/05 02:02:53
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    LPE
    +1
    is offering hope and one plan of action to take to help parents with autistic children. This may not be THE answer but nothing she suggested would be detrimental to the health of the child and worth a try.
  • amystar1 2008/10/04 23:00:48
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    amystar1
    If it works for her son than great. She is not suggesting any treatment that is harmful What can be harmful is promoting it as a "Cure". Think of it as an option that you can try. Don't put your eggs all in one basket.
  • D~Presi... amystar1 2008/10/05 17:12:30
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    She never calls it a cure. She speaks of treatment and recovery. I posted video above.
  • amystar1 D~Presi... 2008/10/06 21:47:42
    amystar1
    +1
    I was just going off the wording of the question. I'll have to watch the video.
  • D~Presi... amystar1 2008/10/31 01:43:25
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    Cool, I'm just putting the word out here because she is really a warrior for her son and is hoping to give hope to families dealing with autism. There have been many successes reached by varied means.
  • Barclay 2008/10/04 20:39:05
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Barclay
    She is full of shit! My son 30 has a form of autism call Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
  • D~Presi... Barclay 2008/10/05 17:13:13
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    She never claims it as a cure. She preaks of recovery and treatment. I have posted some information above.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2008/10/04 20:21:10
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    Can do what she wants.

I think Autism is linked to vaccines.
  • Smartass 2008/10/04 17:23:04
  • Maria 2008/10/04 16:49:23
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Maria
    +2
    got the cure for her son, she good mother and is seraching and working and try what is best for her son.
  • Constance*sick to death of ... 2008/10/04 15:03:32
    I think Jenny McCarthy...
    Constance*sick to death of idiots*
    +1
    I think Jenny McCarthy Should be dropped down a live Volcano. Can anyone say SonRise? ABA? Snake Oil?

Oh - maybe Travolta can try it - Thatens knows he does SFA for the kid otherwise
    Rambo should show her the truth of things **

and honestly - wtf is up with Oprah? I thought that woman was supposed to have a brain - Oh how I miss Phil Donahue.

**(for those who don't know, Sylvester Stallone has a son Seargeoh, who is Autistic, and for the past thirty years, he has been a solid, quiet, supporter of better treatments, DX, and support for kids and their families)
  • D~Presi... Constan... 2008/10/05 17:14:33
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    She never calls it a cure. Please, see my comment above where I posted the interview and other information.

2014/11/23 00:01:03