Is the pop and hip-hop music distroying today's society?

nature spellan 2012/09/16 13:29:39
Related Topics: Music
How do you feel about it?

• Platinum Fangs 2012/09/16 17:33:42
    Platinum Fangs
    +6
    What it is doing is dumbing everyone down to think the same, and aspire to the same thing. All pop & rap do is appeal to the lowest common denominators of society. It's the music you have to think the least about. Music with no message or purpose. The majority of pop stars have their music written for them, so they technically can't be called artists or musicians. More like actors reciting lines. Both genres have so much lip syncing and auto-tuning to compensate for the lack of talent. It's more image and prestige than performance and ability.

Music like hard rock & heavy metal has the best talent and music skill of any genre. They sing and play it for real, both in the studio or live. It takes the subjects were least comfortable with ; violence, war, murder, poverty, religion, abuse, isolation, rejection, politics, addiction, rebellion, patriotism, loss, history, and so much more, but it forces us to confront it all and think about it a little. It's music anyone can relate to. It tells people that they are not alone and the are others who feel the same way. It is an outlet for frustrations and anxieties. It's music that can make you cry and sooth you, or make you shout defiantly and get your blood pumping.

• ✞Knight of Honor 2012/11/06 02:44:05
    ✞Knight of Honor
    No, RUN DMC was a great band and they identified as Rap/Hip Hop.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch...
  • sayhellotomylittlefriend 2012/10/16 21:46:23
    Certain kinds
    sayhellotomylittlefriend
    only that rappers like ymcmb and on the radio are bad. 90s hip hop was art and the best music ever if people like tupac were still around music wouldnt suck as bad
  • CatPerson 2012/10/15 10:19:16
    Certain kinds
    CatPerson
    And we all know who those are.Starting with her. Nicki minaj
  • teamboobooseth 2012/09/29 21:04:31
    teamboobooseth
    no and you spelled destroying wrong
  • nature ... teamboo... 2012/10/09 01:45:20
    nature spellan
    Damn my bad!! Lol
  • teamboo... nature ... 2012/10/09 19:42:30
    teamboobooseth
    sorry it's instinct for me to spot spelling mistakes.
  • nature ... teamboo... 2012/11/13 02:32:15
    nature spellan
    Don't worry about!!
  • democoach 2012/09/26 18:03:29
    democoach
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/09/23 19:46:15
    Somkey the Hores
    Rap sucks.
  • bye 2012/09/22 20:01:34
    It depends
    bye
    I like pop hip hop and rap are well just awful not really music and some of the lyric's are just down right nasty.
  • democoach bye 2012/09/26 18:04:26
    democoach
    so is pop
  • bye democoach 2012/09/27 03:48:52
    bye
    Naw most pop music if flirty nothing like the rap and hip hop which is just awful sometimes and gangster rap...ick.
  • democoach bye 2012/09/27 03:57:20 (edited)
    democoach

real hip hop destroys and owns pop any day!
  • bye democoach 2012/09/27 17:11:47
    bye
    Well we can agree to disagree I like pop not hip hop my preference besides I like the words in pop and can sing most hip hop and rap simply annoy me so I change the channel quick.
  • democoach bye 2012/09/27 21:01:14
    democoach
    well most to all pop has perverted themes to them
  • bye democoach 2012/09/27 22:00:37
    bye
    Hey it was a question I answered. I have my preference so lets just agree to disagree.
  • EmoMcParland 2012/09/22 06:55:33
    EmoMcParland
    There many genres of music; all have good & bad.
  • boneman1 2012/09/19 20:04:10
    Certain kinds
    boneman1
    I don't know that it's ruining society, but it shows how bad the music is today. Many of them are no talent, studio-generated money-makers that can't play an instrument and are terrible live performers. This is especially true of the pop singers today. As for rap, I just never liked it myself.
  • Cunning Stunts 2012/09/19 18:25:44
    Certain kinds
    Cunning Stunts
    The mediocrity influences kids to be bland and unimaginative.
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/09/19 04:58:06 (edited)
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    Music has been accused of subverting values for centuries (see http://www.toptenz.net/top-10... ). "Louie Louie" was even investigated by the FBI in the 1960's!

Gangsta rap, starting with N.W.A. in the 1980's, seems to have had a considerable impact on youth values. But this is only a small fraction of popular music.
  • Darnel 2012/09/19 04:55:46
    Darnel
    +1
    every generation,.....
  • American Nate 2012/09/19 04:03:01 (edited)
    American Nate
    +1
    The people that complain are.

old people complain
  • Silas Jones 2012/09/18 23:43:52
    Certain kinds
    Silas Jones
    +3
    Pop music and hip hop are almost the same now, I love rap music from the 80's and the 90's was the best era for rap music but now it's beyond lame and just plain silly. Give me some Radiohead, U2, Dave Mathews Band, Lamb of GOD and for rap give me some Wu Tang, Nas, Westside Connection, Ice Cube and most rap artists from the 80's and 90's.
  • YesME 2012/09/18 18:48:00
    YesME
    +1
    LOL, this is hilarious. Men and Woman have created music based on how they were socialized, their experiences, etc. for years, why is rap so different? Rap is about the reality of many people living in urban neighborhoods, the huma beings you probably drive past with no concern, everyday.

• Mungu YesME 2012/09/19 15:50:33
    Mungu
    +1
    so called rap is no ones reality. Perhaps it was for some at one point. Most of those turkeys who promote "gangster rap" are just actors. I think these fools are worst than drug dealers, all they do is pollute our environment with their garbage and filth.
    The flip side of this is just like the drug dealers are supported and promoted by folk in power, these fools are as well. Call it conspiracy Theory if you will, but I am grew up with hip hop and I saw how it went from being "fun, political and conscious" to corporate and garbage. This was by design, not driven by the market. Hip hop was high jacked
  • YesME Mungu 2012/09/19 22:02:01
    YesME
    I can relate to what you write here. Personally, I am concerned to hear the language, especially when women are used as examples. The degree to which many of our young men disrespect women in general represents the lack of values being taught at home. Unfortunately, there are many angry young people out here in the world who were born into realities that are so deplorable we would not want our dogs associated with it. Kids fending for themselves at two years old. Who allows a two year old to play in the street? I see it everyday in the city I live in, young girls popping babies right and left. I'm inclined to say it's a black thing, but it's not, it's the culture of our society now and knows no racial boundaries anymore, if it ever did. Like you, I enjoyed conscious poetry throwbacks. Not sure what you listened to, but I'll leave one here in this post I am privy to and believe you may have heard. Below it is his daughter. I recognize the influence of her father in her music. I love music like that. I'm glad we had this chance to communicate and educate one another on a subject that comes up often but many are reluctant to touch.

btw, when you find out if it is a conspiracy, drop me a note - if I'm still participating here, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

• Mungu YesME 2012/09/20 14:11:12
    Mungu
    +1
    thanks for the share

in regards to "conspiracy"
    consider this ....

To hear fun, socially responsible, even sometimes political "rap", you must get it "underground".
    To hear fun, socially responsible, even sometimes political "rock", just listen to the radio.

To hear negative, women demeaning, violence promoting "rock" you must get it "underground".
    To hear To hear negative, women demeaning, violence promoting "rap", just listen to the radio.
  • PandahSixx 2012/09/18 05:43:12
  • MX9 2012/09/18 00:51:27
    Certain kinds
    MX9
    i wouldn't say destroying society...but yeah music is going pretty downhill. But we still have hope, there is still good music out there. and just look at the SH "favorite type of music" polls and see how much rock outnumbers pop :P
  • Frank 2012/09/17 22:13:34
    Certain kinds
    Frank
    Three Words:

Moves Like Jagger.
  • Sam 2012/09/17 16:03:00
    Certain kinds
    Sam
    Hip ho and rap ar, but not pop music
    pop music
  • TJCannabis 2012/09/17 12:21:59 (edited)
    TJCannabis
    +1
    hahahaha This can be said of every generation of music, but music is just a way to express oneself!! There are songs in every type of music i like and some I don't but that it is an individual choice!! In the early 70s I had Black lights with DEMON POSTERS everywhere and cranked out BLACK SABBATH as loud as possible!! Some in my family thought I was a DEVIL WORSHIPER, lol but I just loved the music and the cool posters!

music
  • Lordoftheringsrox 2012/09/17 10:17:48
    Lordoftheringsrox
    I'm saying no because music is just words. Some songs I don't agree with, but that's what makes them fun.
  • JessDeCristo 2012/09/17 09:38:09 (edited)
    It depends
    JessDeCristo
    It depend , IF RAP so called music is included in the POP definition, Personally , I have nothing vs. the music, is the lyrics these so called singers ditch out , full of profanity and vulgarity. Never thougth the day would come when they'd be consider to be art. Then the way they come out , with their pant's crotch half way down to their knees , if they bend over you'll be throwing up. How can you compare the way they even look to trully icons, l ike Sinatra, Elvis, Dean Martin , Bing Crosby , Tom Jones, Engelbert ,The Beatles, they wored suits and ties, they looked like da's . This is also the kind of music adopted by stupid gangers, who have no respect for anyone, not even themselves and demand respect from the rest of the world ,it don't work that way.

• NotTargetMaterial 2012/09/17 06:24:35
    NotTargetMaterial
    No, its the backwards hats.
  • Sky Sky 2012/09/17 04:40:50
    Sky Sky
    I clicked no 10 times but got yes but no music is music and cannot destroy a society
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/09/17 03:05:29
    ..::localeye::..
    No...Rock N Roll from the 50's destroyed it.
  • Swordfish 2012/09/17 01:39:22
  • us 2012/09/17 01:24:47
    It depends
    us
    +1
    I would some of it, that has hate, swearing.
  • Anberlin 2012/09/17 00:23:47

2014/10/31 19:23:44