Is the Madden Curse Real?

Sports 2012/04/26 19:00:00
One of the best days of Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson could turn out to be one of the worst as well -- all because of a video cover. At least, that's what many fans and football observers alike are thinking. Johnson beat out Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton to win the honor of gracing EA Sports' Madden '13 NFL video game cover.

But, as silly as it sounds, there may be some truth to what is known as the "Madden Curse." Many players have been on the video game cover and sadly, not soon after, encountered different stages of bad luck. Don't believe us? Legendary Lions running back Barry Sanders was on the 2000 cover, only to retire before training camp because he didn't like the team's direction. He also walked away from potentially breaking the single-season rushing record.

OK, so that one was by choice, but what about former Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper in 2002, who in the season that followed the game's release, threw for 23 interceptions and missed the playoffs? What about a few years later when he blew out both of his knees and was never the Pro Bowl caliber player he once was? What about former Tennessee Titans QB Vince Young who's now a backup in Philly or future Hall of Famer Brett Favre, who saw his professional and personal life crash? More recently, what about former Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis, who missed five games due to injury?

Heck, even San Diego Chargers fans once protested having their franchise running by LaDainian Tomlinson on the cover because they feared injury. They even started a website in protest and LT himself ended up declining the cover -- but he claimed "contract negotiations." Coincidence or not? Regardless, this is a huge honor for Calvin Johnson to be on the best-selling video game. But is it worth the risk?

• joe mauro 2012/04/26 22:33:42
    joe mauro
    of course not
  • Sterling 2012/04/26 22:13:11 (edited)
    Sterling
    +1
    Here's the list of football players who never get injured:

Kickers

Here's a list of football players who grace EA covers:

Not kickers
  • rightside 2012/04/26 22:02:04
    rightside
    To give any validity to this crap curse, would only be taking the blame from whomever makes bad choices.
  • ohcomeon 2012/04/26 20:20:37
    ohcomeon
    +1
    I'm completely on the side of eschewing anything supernatural, but stats don't lie. Years from now theoretical physicists will discover the very real connection between the Madden cover and resulting injuries (I suspect quantum entanglement). I just hope someone holds EA responsible.
  • Fef 2012/04/26 17:21:08
    Fef
    +1
    I don't believe in curses like this...
  • Joey 2012/04/26 13:40:50
    Joey
    +1
    However, I am a BIG CAROLINA fan and I did not vote for Cam just in case . I try to be logical about things so curses are not real. However almost 90% of the people on the cover have a bad year. So logically speaking lets not push our Luck.

2014/07/29 06:45:06