Is the beloved cartoon character 'Spongebob Squarepants' sending children bad messages?

The Reeses Cup 2007/11/24 13:51:31
Yes, Spongebob is sending children bad messages (please explain)
No, it's just a cute cartoon that people are thinking too hard about (please explain)
Yes and No (please explain)
Since the cartoon "Spongebob Squarepants" was released to the public in 1999 on Nickelodean, I have heard bad things about it. Just like everything else. But I have not yet seen something sending "gay messages" to children or anything else. So tell me, do you think "Spongebob Squarepants" the cartoon is sending children bad messages?

• MandaPanda 2007/11/24 22:16:46
    No, it's just a cute cartoon that people are thinking too hard about (please ...
    MandaPanda
    +6
    I don't know why people read so much into kid's shows. It may not "make sense" to adults because it's not made for adults. Just because it seems odd or whatever does not mean it's sending bad messages to kids.

• Trae Baptiste 2013/01/16 08:20:47
    Trae Baptiste
    SpongeBob is always teaching you bad habits.
    The main characters are always screwing things up.
  • Shane 2012/06/29 08:42:17 (edited)
    Shane
    first of all, the show was created by a marine biologist. most people woudnt understand why the town is called bikini bottom , its reference to the nuclear test site known as the bikini atols. That's why the fish that live there are so darn strange "nuclear radiation". It geekish humor . they are not talking about swim wear.
  • Brady Hayward 2012/06/23 04:20:46
    Brady Hayward
    +2
    Because in the lifeguard episode sponge bob saied stuff referring to sex and I'm 14
  • Sara 2012/06/04 03:40:40
    Yes and No (please explain)
    Sara
    +1
    I checked 'Yes & No'. Yes: If you have kids that know (I'm assuming we're talking like under 8 or 9) more than they should at that age, than yes, you might consider it not a good influence, but for Christ's sake people, it's a cartoon show on nickelodeon, and half of what's on spongebob is just goofy stuff anyone can enjoy, and there's like 10% suggestive jokes...I also say no ( spongebob is not a bad influence) because I'm sure half of you parents don't have your kids coming to you wondering what the dialogue is talking about because they don't frigin get it!!!! They're kids! And if u automatically assume they do, then in a way that's encouraging today's generation of young kids and what they know ( that they shouldn't at that age) whether it be from shows, other kids, etc. Spongebob is a show for all ages and the adult humor is for u to enjoy and the kids to just laugh even though they dont get it. So I'm leaning towards 'no ' for this one. Spongebob <3 haha
  • sarahb2012 2012/06/03 01:35:11
    sarahb2012
    +1
    I find it hilarious that parents get in such heated debates about a kids show.. Also, saying that this causes slower brain develpoment? I have been watching Spongebob since I was a child. So, for parents who think this, let me enlighten you: I'm eighteen, I made a 28 on my ACT, I'm a Pre-Med major, and I have an almost full tuition scholarship at a private college. If your child is slow in school, it could be an issue outside of what you let them watch. But just to be safe, you should probably cut them off from the rest of civilization too, just to make sure.
  • Jared 2012/04/05 22:18:21
    Jared
    +1
    I just don't understand why people need to sexualize everything...
  • kasie 2012/03/01 04:02:17
    Yes and No (please explain)
    kasie
    +1
    Spongebob was originally suppose to be an adult show like family guy and spongebob and Patrick were gay. Think about it, mr. Krabs lives in bikini bottom, sandy cheeks, and many more things. But like every one else said, it makes the show fun or all ages, mist kids dont get the hidden adult jokes anyway....
  • Awesomefurby12 2012/02/20 00:31:20
    Awesomefurby12
    Carp I should have clicked on Yes and No.The show seems KIND OF OK to me But they did have subliminal messages on the show lots of times.
  • BillygoldBill 2012/01/22 22:37:53
    BillygoldBill
    it is
  • whatsurproblem 2012/01/07 09:31:37
    whatsurproblem
    +1
    No way is Spongebob bad for children. Even though there are what I believe to be "hidden adult jokes," they are things children would never pick up on (such as in the episode where Spongebob tries to get Gary to take a bath so he paints the bathtub like a treasure chest and gives Gary the soap, calling them doubloons and telling him not to drop them). However, many of the episodes also have messages, such as the "Hooky" episode, which if you watch closely, is about saying no to drugs. The hooks represent the things that people can become addicted to, and Mr. Krabs warns Spongebob and Patrick about playing with them since they can go to jail (canned tuna) and even tempt death (flop and gasp for breath at the surface). Patrick acts as the peer pressure for Spongebob who eventually gives in because he sees how much fun Patrick has "getting high" on the hooks. However, the two of them end up pushing their luck too far and Spongebob gets hooked, literally, while Patrick "goes to jail." In the episode "No Free Rides," Mrs. Puff, desperate not to have Spongebob in her class for a whole other year, passes him by using "the teacher's ace in the hole," extra credit. In doing so, she sends Spongebob onto the road when he's not actually learned to drive properly and has to take ext...
    No way is Spongebob bad for children. Even though there are what I believe to be "hidden adult jokes," they are things children would never pick up on (such as in the episode where Spongebob tries to get Gary to take a bath so he paints the bathtub like a treasure chest and gives Gary the soap, calling them doubloons and telling him not to drop them). However, many of the episodes also have messages, such as the "Hooky" episode, which if you watch closely, is about saying no to drugs. The hooks represent the things that people can become addicted to, and Mr. Krabs warns Spongebob and Patrick about playing with them since they can go to jail (canned tuna) and even tempt death (flop and gasp for breath at the surface). Patrick acts as the peer pressure for Spongebob who eventually gives in because he sees how much fun Patrick has "getting high" on the hooks. However, the two of them end up pushing their luck too far and Spongebob gets hooked, literally, while Patrick "goes to jail." In the episode "No Free Rides," Mrs. Puff, desperate not to have Spongebob in her class for a whole other year, passes him by using "the teacher's ace in the hole," extra credit. In doing so, she sends Spongebob onto the road when he's not actually learned to drive properly and has to take extreme measures to rectify her mistake. This puts into context how teachers all around the world get rid of students they may wish to get rid of for whatever reason - using extra credit even though its a cheaply simple score to achoeve and doesn't teach students anything.
  • zurg 2011/12/22 14:06:35
    Yes and No (please explain)
    zurg
    Yes because he is a sponge lives in, "bikini bottoms." He has a friend called, "Sandy buns!" And he works at the, "crusty crab." so how is it not bad for children?!?!?!?!?!
    No because kids don't understand that stuff.
  • Lisa White 2011/12/14 00:29:42
    Lisa White
    hi spongebob
  • anthony letizia 2011/11/23 04:24:17
    anthony letizia
    they live in bikini bottom!mr krabs is named after an std!
  • Shane anthony... 2012/07/02 05:11:23
    Shane
    don't think about things too hard. Mr.krabs is a gosh darn crab, not pubic lice. Bikini bottom is a reference to the bikini atols. Oh! And crabs is not an std, its a parasite. Don't think about things too hard .
  • Mr. S 2011/10/22 18:31:08
    Yes and No (please explain)
    Mr. S
    +1
    There are dirty jokes in it, but they're okay if they go over the kids' heads. Just makes it more fun for older viewers too
  • ideocracies 2011/10/10 17:15:54
    Yes and No (please explain)
    ideocracies
    +1
    Spongebob is the reflection of a modern culture; it's images, content and consequent themes are the result of a shift in the ability of humans to convey information instead of fact--the difference of course being that the former is a more concise process, involving correlations between groups of ideas instead of handling them separately (as facts). The show's creators (especially with regard to the last few years) clearly have the intent of making an impact on the thought processes of young people, stressing a movement toward humanism; the same goes for many other cartoon shows on the air, where the act of creating art for the masses (media) has become less restricted in recent years. This new freedom, kick-started a little earlier on channels like Cartoon Network, is characterized by fast-paced plot interjections--rapid deviations from, and back to, the main theme--and a sense of uniqueness within the individual. What is generally construed as a "gay message", from this perspective, seems in fact an attempt by the creator of Spongebob to instill a sense of curiosity and liveliness about individual space and environment that will serve to foster these qualities in a future generation of children--who will become increasingly dependent on images to efficiently convey broad systems of meaning about the world.
  • Girly Girl 2011/09/24 23:51:25
    Girly Girl
    http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs...
    plz-d399raj.jpg
    People are thinking to hard about it. Even if it DOES have bad messages, it won't corrupt any kids mind. I watched smoking movies before, I'm 16 now, and I don't smoke. I mean, look how cute SpongeBob is in the picture!
  • ixithedustkeeperixi 2011/09/12 16:40:14 (edited)
    ixithedustkeeperixi
    +1
    The thing is, beyond what everyone else has mentioned, the type of humor is really just stupid. It's the same in most of the cartoons we see lately. It's all about people being loud, and annoying. I used to like spongebob in the first season but as it went on it just felt mind numbing. There are better shows for young children (my little pony, care bears, tom and jerry, looney toons.) Children under 7 should be watching shows that are on nick jr or at least disney that focus more on story telling and morals. There are hardly ever morals to the stories on sponge bob other than "Annoy your neighbor and act like a baby". It teaches greed as well through Mr. Krabbs. There are never any consequences for the bad things they do in the show. All in all this, and most of the cartoon network and nick programming for pre teens and children are just a waste of time. Every time I see half of the shows I could swear I feel myself getting more and more stupid. It's the same stupid trashy humor we've come to like as adults (which I feel spawns from most of the trashy, stupid humor my generation grew up with in cartoons).

also: http://www.sandiego6.com/news...
  • XiaoFury 2011/09/11 21:40:23
    XiaoFury
    Yes. Although season three was probably the last of the enjoyable episodes, there was that one episode (among others) that clearly suggested that Spongebob and Pat are homosexuals. I forget the name of that episode, but Sponge and Patrick became parents for a baby clam. I would have understood if they were baby sitting, but Spongebob became the WIFE while Patrick was the husband. Keep in mind that both Sponge and Patrick are males. The next episode called "Chocolate with Nuts" contained a lot of disturbing homosexual jokes and other humor not suitable for children. The later seasons are worst than the episodes I mentioned. Poor Squidward gets tortured emotionally and physically throughout every episode so it seems.

Who could forget that gross scene when Squidward's toe nail was pushed in to his toe, then ripped out of his toe completely? There was blood and flesh shown on that scene. Very gross and disturbing. Mr. Krabs is so greedy and neglectful that it's not even funny anymore. I remember that episode about the first fry cook who came back to visit the Krusty Krab. Overall, Mr. Krabs only provided that he is indeed a cheap skate and Spongebob is too stupid to realize that he is being used for his hard work. Mr. Krabs is worse than Plankton. Sponge and Patrick are now too ...

Who could forget that gross scene when Squidward's toe nail was pushed in to his toe, then ripped out of his toe completely? There was blood and flesh shown on that scene. Very gross and disturbing. Mr. Krabs is so greedy and neglectful that it's not even funny anymore. I remember that episode about the first fry cook who came back to visit the Krusty Krab. Overall, Mr. Krabs only provided that he is indeed a cheap skate and Spongebob is too stupid to realize that he is being used for his hard work. Mr. Krabs is worse than Plankton. Sponge and Patrick are now too stupid, they harass Squidward all the time, Spongebob literally flirts with him, and...well, what more can I say?

Bottom line is this: Deviant sexual jokes, greediness, mean jokes, and other adulterated messages found in a kid's cartoon is not healthy and shouldn't be included in this show.
  • Jo Myers 2011/08/24 00:02:09
    Jo Myers
    yes it is example1:the good neighbor episode spongebob says all hail the all seeing eye.they also wear a hat with an all seeing eye on it.its not tthat hard to notice.so all the people that say no are stupid no offence
  • Shane Jo Myers 2012/06/29 21:23:47
    Shane
    +3
    the all seeing eye is on the american dollar bill. Spongebob was brought to this world to teach people to accept the strange and obnoxious people they may meet.
  • Shane Jo Myers 2012/07/02 05:39:22
    Shane
    its called the eye of providence, it stands for the trinity. The only relation it has to the iluminati(means enlightened), is there belief in god. They wanted all the christian sects to stop stop fighting each other, don't listen to everything hollywood says. Spongebob was pretty much making fun of it anyways! God people!
  • TaraPerry 2011/08/09 16:33:16
    TaraPerry
    I meant to click on yes, but I think it's somewhat an adult cartoon cuz it has adult humor such as, the clam episode, like other people have mentioned. But in that episode, it was made clear to me that spongebob and Patrick are seen as 'gay'. Spongebob dresses like a women and stays home and takes care of the clam and cleans, like a typical women. And Patrick goes off to work all day, like a typical man. Their basiclu gay in that episode. But you just have to pay attention to it. Also, patrick and spongebob get naked in a lot of episodes. -Please comment your thoughts (:
  • Katrina Ingham 2011/07/31 17:52:47
    Katrina Ingham
    Spongebob is my favorite show and people are just trying to get it cancelled or something.
  • TaraPerry Katrina... 2011/08/09 16:35:29
    TaraPerry
    +3
    No their not trying to get it canceled their jus trying to make it clear to people that it's not always sutible for their children.
  • Gemma 2011/07/10 23:34:29
    Yes and No (please explain)
    Gemma
    I said yes and no because it was originally supposed to be an adult show like family guy, and would you feel comfortable letting your kids watch a show like that? But it also has lots of good morals for kids. And in the episode where spongebob and Patrick adopt a baby clam, they're not supposed to be gay. If they were, spongebob would've dressed like a man, not a mum. But I recently found out that the show has a lot of hidden adult jokes. I kind of think that's a good thing, because then everyone of all ages can enjoy it.
  • Ja'lyn ... Gemma 2012/09/09 08:27:20
    Ja'lyn Malone
    +1
    It was never ment to be an adult show, people just say that because of the names. I did some research and that's a lie that's been spread.
  • lauren424 2011/07/06 11:40:08
    Yes and No (please explain)
    lauren424
    +2
    All I have to say is it depends on your age and how you look at it!!!!! But I have found many hidden jokes in spongebob that I wouldn't have realized with out #1 you people on this site! :) and #2 just plain old getting older..... Being my age now, I realized many hidden things I would never have understood without learning new words first if you know what I mean. And even now when someone points something out to me, I still have to think about it
  • billycat98 2011/05/18 21:47:13
    billycat98
    +1
    well i dont know if its bad but yeah it does have bad stuff reply to me so i can see if its bad or good
  • Frh02 2011/05/02 01:29:49
    Frh02
    the reason why i think spongebob squarepants is a cute cartoon because you know if you open tumblr or whatever websites which is have a picture and quotes, ex:weheartit.com, if u search a picture about spongebob quotes. there will be a good quotes about spongebob. spongebob teach us to be patient and about friendship. I think the only bad things about spongebob is..... same as another cartoons which is make childrens imagine about something impossible, but its normal. its educate them because they are still growing up, i believe as time goes by, they are getting more and more older, they will know the differences between bad and good things. SO, why do we protect childrens from cartoons? THEY HAVE TO watch it, educate and make them feel happy :-)
  • billycat98 2011/04/24 15:13:00
    billycat98
    +2
    if you dont hate spongebob then listen to this its full of bad inappropiate stuff and also the worst thing is it shows illumnati messages and in the eposode where squidward is in a club the building is a illumnati pyramid ! do you hate it now
  • lauren424 billycat98 2011/07/06 09:59:50
    lauren424
    +2
    Every single show nown to man accept for those discovery Shows have illuminati signs this includes kids shows and movies and adult shows and movies so that is really the worst exuce ever because compared to all the kid shows spongebob has a little amount ofilluminati signs
  • billycat98 lauren424 2011/07/28 00:06:48 (edited)
    billycat98
    +1
    little ? little ?! its not little its lot spongebob illumnati
  • Shane billycat98 2012/07/02 05:45:45 (edited)
    Shane
    the eye of providence is on the american dollar bill! Do you hate it now?!?!
  • YeahISaidIt 2011/04/17 08:26:17
    YeahISaidIt
    +3
    I can't go into detail because it'll be a novel, but people do not give children enough credit. They are NOT idiots. They may not pick it up right away, but over time they understand because I remembered how I learned a lot of things, no one had to tell me. Children get this stuff and they know when something is not acceptable so they know there are some things in Spongebob that shouldn't be there or be emulated. Stop treating your children like idiots, that's why there are so many in the world.
  • MICHEAL 2011/03/17 01:37:34
    MICHEAL
    +3
    Omg . I was doing research work on cartoons and the effects it has on child development.,so i was browsing through some of the reviews and realizing more and more that spongebob isn't suitable kids. My 5yr son watches the show every morning before school and i just all of sudden decided to ask him a question about spongebob, i asked him does spongebob have a girlfriend he reply no but he did marry patrick and they have a son name jr..wow..NO MORE OF SPONGBOB BEFORE SCHOOL IT REALLY CORRUPTS YOUNG MINDS!!!
  • billycat98 MICHEAL 2011/04/24 15:14:49
    billycat98
    +3
    I agree as well
  • MICHEAL 2011/05/19 10:57:22
    +2
    i accidently clicked on yes, but its a freaking cartoon. Chill.
    "he did marry patrick and they have a kid named jr" in that episode, patrick and spongebob found a baby clam that had no mother. They decided to take it in and HELP it. All they done was care for it. Now tell me, what is so wrong with teaching your son how to help others in need?
  • lauren424 2011/07/06 10:05:58
    lauren424
    +1
    You guys are technically both right it curroPts kids minds and teaches them SOME life long lessons but overall it corrupts kids minds like all other kid shows so if u want to take away sponge bob then u may as well take away all tv shows so once again u r both right
  • droopy 2011/11/24 05:37:05
    droopy
    +3
    Did the illuminati come to your house or something to tell u ur Fiona change the message?rite now your child is thinking getting married with another guy is normal.spongebob actually thought he was a mother a new episode he actually kissed patrick

2014/04/20 23:36:37