Is Roger Clemens's reputation saved?

Incognito 2012/06/18 21:07:24
Related Topics: Sports
Yahoo News is reporting that the pitcher was found not guilty on all charges. Do you agree? Read the news at the following link...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/roger-cleme...

• cmdrbnd007 2012/06/19 17:01:28
    Undecided.
    cmdrbnd007
    +5
    I want to know why the Hell Congress thought it was any of their damn business to begin with. It's freaken baseball! Let the commissioner deal with it.

• Grant Straka 2012/07/05 21:53:02
    No.
    Grant Straka
    I've lost all respect for that dude
  • GettingBarried 2012/07/03 14:59:46
    No.
    GettingBarried
    His reputation is definitely tarnished through guilt by association. There has been no evidence that proves he juiced; only inferences and Clemens' arrogance that pisses off people. The needles and gauze IMO were items that the trainer was probably going to use to extort $$ from Clemens. He had access and could have easily used legitimate vitamin shots (which are pretty commonplace and legal) and the gauze from those shots and then stuck the needle into some steroids to show Clemens dna with the roids. I guess it is impossible today to believe someone worked their ass off to stay in shape. Compare Clemens to Bonds. Bonds' body has changed dramatically. His foot size increased by 3 sizes, as an adult. That is a telltale sign of roid usage right there. Clemens got bulkier from being a 20 year old but that's it.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/06/29 06:35:21
    Yes. His reputation is clean.
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Roger Clemens was a great athlete and no one has convinced me beyond reasonable doubt he juiced!
  • Chewy 2012/06/28 18:53:59
    No.
    Chewy
    He will be right in there with Mark McGwire and all the other cheaters.
  • Charles E 2012/06/27 21:48:56
    Undecided.
    Charles E
    I think his reputation is vastly improved by being found not guilty of lying the the assembled liars in congress. I am less sure that his reputation qualifies as "clean".

On the other hand, congress looks even less competent than ever after being handed this court defeat on a topic beyond their perview while failing to do the work they were supposed to be doing. Like passing a budget!
  • Sofahead 2012/06/27 21:37:47
    No.
    Sofahead
    +3
    Probably not. We live in a period of time when an acquittal is regarded as beating the rap, not being found innocent.
  • Charles E Sofahead 2012/06/27 21:50:14
    Charles E
    +2
    Sad but too often true. On the other hand his accusers do look like the jerks they are.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/27 18:48:09
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/06/27 18:31:34
    No.
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    His reputation is forever tarnished even if the allegations were completely false. It may not be fair, but that is how it.is.
  • Charles E ☆ElenaD... 2012/06/27 21:51:02
    Charles E
    +1
    Sad but true.
  • Apache 2012/06/26 01:36:14
  • cebo 2012/06/26 00:39:12
  • garyt212 2012/06/24 05:42:26
    No.
    garyt212
    Just an acquitted liar who cheated and got away with it! Shoeless Joe deserves admission to the HOF before Roger should ever be considered!
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2012/06/22 03:30:05
    No.
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +1
    he'll always go in the books as a cheater but i still believe he deserves to be in the hall of fame id vote him in. everybody forgets how dominant he used to be back in the day. out of 100 names listed in the mitchell report... only 5 were legit superstars. the rest were all nobodies who you never heard of. you gotta have the skill to begin with.
  • rr lyrae 2012/06/22 00:25:55 (edited)
    No.
    rr lyrae
    +2
    it was not a crime.
    just cheating at a game...
    throwing upper 90's in the mid-40's is cheating-achieving an unfair competitive advantage. Not a crime or worth $ to root out what is obvious.
    The man will suffer recrimination but only his rep will suffer it.
    Since it IS a game it is in the interest of all to keep the field level for all to compete evenly.
    It is not an excuse that "everybody did it" or a Pro does all he can to be all he can. Despite the entertainment value it acquired
    it is a game only a game. I learned all there is to it as a kid... and I want it kept a game.
    For my kids and all posterity.
  • Chewy rr lyrae 2012/06/29 12:17:58
    Chewy
    +1
    He and his kind have forever tarnished the sport.
  • Getting... rr lyrae 2012/07/03 14:51:51
    GettingBarried
    What proof is there of him cheating? I have yet to see anything substantive.
  • rr lyrae Getting... 2012/07/03 21:16:25
    rr lyrae
    Getting..I agree-but what I am saying is that such IS the way of the Cheater-some get away with cheating. But throwing upper 90's in his mid-fourties is prima facie evidence of cheating...though not enough to convict in a court. His DNA on the cottons. wife's testimony, making it a "he sd-he/she sd" I don't need that to call him a Cheater...only his Rep suffers..and the Game.To me, that was terrible.
  • Getting... rr lyrae 2012/07/04 02:10:47
    GettingBarried
    Actually throwing in mid 90s is more accurate but not at all uncommon for someone in their 40s. Nolan Ryan said that he could have pitched until he was 50. He went on to say that the speed of the pitch was not the problem as he was throwing 90s well into his 40s as well, but the legs are the drive mechanism for that top speed. He wore down far more quickly. Ryan was as tall as Clemens but Clemens was just plain stockier. He worked his ass off and if circumstantial evidence is all anyone has, look at his wife. She is his age, bore 3 kids(?) and is ripped. I don't think she juices. i think she just works very hard at it.
  • rr lyrae Getting... 2012/08/16 23:29:51
    rr lyrae
    maybe, but she will NOT be bearing healthy children in her mid-to-late 40-'s, nor will any man be throwing well enough to get major leaguers out in his mid -to-late 40's. In fact 98% will reach such deterioration in late 30's. Which is when intense workouts might succeed. Might...for a few.
  • Getting... rr lyrae 2012/08/17 01:39:00
    GettingBarried
    My point about her was that since there is only circumstantial evidence about Clemens juicing, why not use his wife's condition circumstantially to support Clemens as she is spectacular shape. There was never any inference about bearing children into her 40s. Clemens retired from baseball at 44. His last year pitching, he was among the highest paid and not because of longevity but because of his ability to get people out. Obviously, becoming a major leaguer is an exception to the rule and becoming a major leaguer with a 20+ year career is the exception to the major leaguer rule. Clemens was not the first to do what he did. He still has not approached Ryan's strikeout record, no-hitter record, etc. No one thinks to bring up Ryan as a juicer though.
  • Bunk11 2012/06/21 22:13:49
    No.
    Bunk11
    +1
    I don't have a problem with the acquittal. If lying in Congress is OK, then I don't see why lying to Congress should be considered a crime, especially since it's about something they had no business holding hearings on in the first place. That said, I'm pretty well convinced he was juicing, and I was a fan back when he played for the Red Sox and still thought he was an excellent pitcher when he played for the Yankees. Of course, now I know part of the reason why.

He's an acquitted liar, rather than a convicted liar.
  • CHIEF 2012/06/21 17:16:55
    Yes. His reputation is clean.
    CHIEF
    +2
    they've hounded hero types since "JIM THORPE" envious keyboard pounding wanna be's.usually the nerds who could not measure up physcal wise
  • beachbum 2012/06/20 15:11:23 (edited)
    Undecided.
    beachbum
    +2
    Personally, I think the whole scenario is sad and a terrible waste of taxpayer $. It does amaze me that people are so much more willing to believe the trainer and him. I do admit that the entire baseball world knew this drug business was going on - many players have admitted to using them, but there has been no scandal over them - just Clemons since he stood his ground against Congress who then got mad because someone actually had the nerve to defend himself against their way out over reach of authority.

As a Houston native, I want to believe Clemons is completely innocent of this, and that the smear campaign is finally over, and he gets into the HOF.

Isn't not like Congress never lies - if anyone of 'em is talking, then you can pretty much bet there are some lies coming out.
  • abubinc... beachbum 2012/06/26 03:09:31
    abubincrazy
    +2
    A distraction?
    I don't know WHO the pols think wants to see them do this type of show-trial garbage.
  • beachbum abubinc... 2012/06/26 13:30:01
    beachbum
    +2
    Of course it was a distraction.
  • abubincrazy 2012/06/20 02:52:54 (edited)
    Undecided.
    abubincrazy
    +4
    His "reputation" is irrelevant to me.

Rocket probably did juice, just like MOST of MLB does.

What I want to know is: WHAT bidness is it of a pack of POLITICIANS if a bunch of athletes use the juice?

How do these venal douches in the LEGISLATIVE branch find citizens STUPID enough to pretend they are members of the JUDICIAL branch?
  • zbacku 2012/06/20 02:30:07
    Undecided.
    zbacku
    +3
    There are still questions. But the one that I have is why Congress cares so much about Baseball when we have a president and his right hand man that are destroying the Constitution of The United States.
  • cmdrbnd007 2012/06/19 17:01:28
    Undecided.
    cmdrbnd007
    +5
  • Charles E cmdrbnd007 2012/06/28 13:00:35
    Charles E
    +1
    Not their business. Just grandstanding to distract the voters from the work they are supposed to be doing and are ignoring.
  • cmdrbnd007 Charles E 2012/06/28 13:03:07
    cmdrbnd007
    +1
    And wasting money.
  • joe mauro 2012/06/19 06:17:58
    Yes. His reputation is clean.
    joe mauro
    +3
    its awitch hunt
  • Cat Man 2012/06/18 22:46:59
    No.
    Cat Man
    +2
    No, he's a lying, steroid using, headhunting douche.
  • beachbum Cat Man 2012/06/20 15:13:47
    beachbum
    What about all the guys who admitted to using the stuff? What about the idiot trainer?
    Yes. His reputation is clean.
    +4
    Bravo, found not guilty unanimous on all 6 charges. A stupid, stupid waste of taxpayer money.
  • prosper... Jackie ... 2012/06/19 16:32:31
    prosperhappily
    +4
    Yeah , you'd think the government wold have more important things to focus on, like maybe the economy?
  • Jackie ... prosper... 2012/06/19 20:01:58
    +2
    Ya think? Think of that stupid series of hearings by the newly elected Democrat House and Waxman leading the charge -- that was the MOST important thing they could think of - the trials alone cost 3 million .
    Arghhh, have to stop, my brain is boiling
  • prosper... Jackie ... 2012/06/19 22:16:15
    prosperhappily
    +1
    don't blame ya.
  • cebo prosper... 2012/06/26 00:17:17
    cebo
    +1
    What is this country coming to huh?
  • prosper... cebo 2012/06/28 14:11:03
    prosperhappily
    Doesn't look like anything good.

2014/04/19 12:19:15