Is Peyton Manning NFL's MVP?

Sports 2011/10/24 15:00:00
When the NFL's only four-time Most Valuable Player, quarterback Peyton Manning had multiple neck surgeries in the offseason, there was a cause for concern. How will the Indianapolis Colts fare without their pillar of strength and stability? Many football pundits thought the Colts playoff hopes were dead, but that the team could at least end the 2011 season with a winning record.

They were wrong -- very wrong. After Sunday night, the Colts find themselves at 0-7, in their worst start since the pre-Manning era. What was a team that had some bad breaks and lost incredibly close games became a losing squad of epic proportions. The New Orleans Saints ripped the Colts last night, tying the scoring record since the NFL-AFL merger. This is not a typo: 62-7 Saints.

Forget the playoffs. Forget a winning season. Forget optimism for the future. The Colts are a terrible team that suddenly need to think about life after Manning. In fairness to backup quarterbacks Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter, while they are not Pro Bowl players, they also do not play defense. To put the entire blame on the loss of a Hall of Fame quarterback would be one thing, but last time we checked, Manning also never played defense.

With all the holes in the Colts' exposed, it is amazing to see that with Manning, it is playoffs and another AFC South title. Without Manning? Beyond mediocrity. When Tom Brady went down with a leg injury in 2008, his New England Patriots still went 11-5. The 2011 Colts will not have a happy ending.

• PJ Sweet Cheeks 2011/10/24 17:28:31
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +6
    To me he is! I hate seeing my colts lose game after game this season!
    I think Peyton was this team!!!
    I just hope and pray he will get better, he is indeed a good guy!!!
    colts lose game game season peyton team hope pray guy

• Sam 2011/10/26 14:02:16
    Sam
    He's done!
  • joe mauro 2011/10/25 17:13:38
    joe mauro
    was
  • Capn Ameruhka 2011/10/25 16:18:27
    Capn Ameruhka
    +1
    For now, Aaron Rodgers is closing in fast =]
  • Maize and blue 2011/10/25 15:37:46
    Maize and blue
    detroit lions suh this guy is
  • jacktown kid 2011/10/25 14:53:35
    jacktown kid
    No he should not be the MVP
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/10/25 14:19:00 (edited)
  • bruce banner 2011/10/25 13:27:34
    bruce banner
    IT'S OBVIOUS
  • Andy 2011/10/25 11:31:28
    Andy
    +1
    While he is valuable... he does not play defense. The WHOOPING that the Saints laid on the Colts shows that you need to be able to stop the other team, as well as score points.
  • Freeranger 2011/10/25 09:21:37
    Freeranger
    +1
    Peyton Manning is a top shelf quarterback, but he's a top shelf QB among several. He is not THE best. There is no best.
    Secondly, when you look at the precipitous fall of the Colts this year because he's out, that clearly proves that you have a Colt's organization which was not built for balance, but for one person....that being Manning, which Peyton loved I'm sure, being an egomaniac. Unfortunately for the Colts, it showed what poor planners they were. They had no "B" plan in place, and now they're reaping the reward of their shortsightedness.
  • Bob DiN 2011/10/25 07:39:00
    Bob DiN
    The Colts would better with him but still bad.
  • david shiel 2011/10/25 06:45:26
    david shiel
    +1
    At one time most valuable Qb.Not now.
  • Danny Barker 2011/10/25 06:00:36
    Danny Barker
    +1
    For the colts I would say yes. but if you are talking for the NFL. I would say no.
  • SaintAM29 2011/10/25 05:31:08 (edited)
    SaintAM29
    +4
    Is Manning the NFL'S MVP is only a question that can be asked or answered when he is actually ON THE FIELD. Folks have to take Into account not just the on the field results of Peytons absence but also the dramatic effect on morale. We obviously aren't In the locker room or with the team, however, one must assume the endless amount of negative comments and analysis of the Manningless Colts has had some effect. Also , the simple fact the players KNOW he is irreplaceable , the Colts have played several teams very tough this year and could easily be 3 - 4. The fact Is they are winless & lost last night by one of the largest margins in NFL history. My point is , Manning has become more than a QB for the Colts. He's their Captain , their General... The offensive coordinator , head coach, motivator , brother & father. I'm not saying hes GODLIKE , simply that he transcends all the specialized and typical attributes one may find in an NFL quarterback. I must add , I'm a Texans fan born and raised in Houston who has ZERO problem with his being sidelined. We're AFC South CAMPS in 2011 for sure !!!!
  • jono.jones 2011/10/25 05:13:39
    jono.jones
    +1
    Tom Brady please
  • SK-pro impeachment 2011/10/25 01:42:58
    SK-pro impeachment
    +2
    I don't think this necessarily says how great he is but how terrible the rest of the team is and the fact they have no backup QB whatsoever. Somebody didn't draft and sign players very well. What? Do you think if he was playing he would turn an 0-7 team into a 7-0 team? He's not Superman.
  • Splinter76 2011/10/25 01:28:11
    Splinter76
    +3
    All answers are purely subjective, but I have to say he's MVP to me every year. We're huge Peyton Manning fans here in my house as well as Colts fans. I hope this is a wake-up call in a couple of ways: 1. Colts organization needs to wake up and get a better head coach AND draft/trade/hire better. You can't build a team around Freeney, Mathis and the great Peyton Manning. 2. Talking heads will realize how much of the success and power behind the Colts lie in the hands of Peyton. Haters will remain, sure, but before you become a tool and TRY to blast me in a reply... remember... it's all subjective opinion.
  • Loctia 2011/10/25 00:39:11 (edited)
    Loctia
    +2
    MVP of the NFL? No. MVP of the Colts? Oh yeah. The Saints slaughtered them - no mercy. And while I am a big Saints fan, there is one tiny bit of compassion I feel for the Colts as they just can't seem to win a single game. Oop, it's gone.

Go Saints!

saints fan tiny compassion feel colts win game oop saints
  • RobertRowe Loctia 2011/10/25 16:10:29
    RobertRowe
    that was fixed for the feel good it induced and the mad profit that came with it. if katrina never happened the nfl would never had cared if the saints won but they make mad profits off disasters just like they fixed the 2001 season for the patriots to win the superbowl to promote patriotism.
    the dolphins broncos game sunday was fixed big time to promote the denver qb for his college achievement, the last superbowl was fixed to make a laughing stock out of the steelers sex offender qb for a feel good feeling to keep the majority of fans happy incase the lock out canceled this season.
  • Loctia RobertRowe 2011/10/25 17:22:27
    Loctia
    +1
    I don't think you have to fix anything for the Patriots. Have you ever thought that maybe, as psychology has proven, then when facing disaster people closest to that disaster will have a tendency to fight harder?

Methinks you're mad that your team always loses.
  • RobertRowe 2011/10/25 00:25:01
  • clasact 2011/10/24 23:46:49
    clasact
    +2
    it was total stupidity to not let other QBs take snaps or get practice time in now then team is aying the price,to me thats pretty bad choaching ,not being ready for the what ifs
  • Joey 2011/10/24 23:17:39
    Joey
    +2
    While the guy they have now is not too good, Kerry Collins just sucked , and should have never been out there. Starting him is the main reason the Colts are were they are now.
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2011/10/24 23:00:52
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +3
    There is no way this team can be a Superbowl contender only with PM at the helm. Coaching staff sux.
  • johnny guitar watson 2011/10/24 22:37:59
    johnny guitar watson
    +2
    tim tebow is
  • Decipher 2011/10/24 21:54:05
    Decipher
    +2
    And it isn't a quarterback either, its Lions WR Calvin Johnson
    Calvin Johnson
  • Doug King 2011/10/24 21:39:26
    Doug King
    +2
    If you aren't playing you cannot be the Most Valuable Player. He may be valuable to the colts but probably not so much to the Redskins.
  • DANNY_B0i♛ 2011/10/24 21:38:36
    DANNY_B0i♛
    +5
    Overrated.
  • DavidK 2011/10/24 21:11:23
    DavidK
    +2
    AP hands down!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/10/24 21:09:12
  • **StarzAbove** 2011/10/24 20:15:45
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    I think he is and it's so sad to see a great team like the Colts take such a beating last night.
  • chuko 2011/10/24 19:54:02
    chuko
    +3
    Hardly
  • juskro92 2011/10/24 19:31:34
    juskro92
    +3
    This is just an example of a team constructing an offense around one player. When that one player is out, the team crumbles. The offense is a passing team. They may have joseph addai and some other good backs, but the O-line is a pass block O-line. Their receivers are also built to catch, not block. Of course, with an offense built like that, Peyton Manning seems like such an amazing player. I am not saying he isn't but I feel like he's overrated for that reason. Other good teams can have their QB out for a few games and still win games. It may not be as many as their premier player, but they will still win unlike the Colts.

A good way to support this is when Jimi Johnson (Cowboys head coach) traded his only good player (a running back) for draft picks and a few extra players (I don't know names, I only saw this the other night on NFL Network). He may have had a subpar next season, but he recreated his team rather than forming a team around his star player.
  • John juskro92 2011/10/25 03:37:16
    John
    +2
    I think you need to sit and really analyze the colts. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. This defense is built around the same defensive philosophy it has been the entire time Manning has been there. It is built to play with the lead. Prevent the deep ball and rush the qb. It has work moderately well for about a decade.

The offensive is as you stated above. It's a pass first run second team. I would disagree about the receivers not being able to block, but I understand your point.

So essentially the entire team is built around Peyton Manning, or at least a qb that can score at a high rate. Imagine the pressure that is put on the qb to perform. Think about how much of the teams success rides upon his shoulders. Yet, Manning has been able to win so many games for so long.

I bet if you looked at the team with the least amount of possessions per game and the teams with the least amount of time per possession per a game during the manning era the colts would be at or near the bottom of the list. Especially in the playoffs. Yet they still win year in and year out. Even won a super bowl. I think Peyton Manning is the reason why. Peyton Manning is the reason why Indy still has a team..... Remember Manning inherited 3-13. Brady inherited playoff caliber team. Manning is one of a kind.
  • juskro92 John 2011/10/25 13:34:10
    juskro92
    I am not refuting that Peyton is a good player. He is, but the way he is hyped and such is because of how they constructed their team. Peyton Manning isn't the only person who inherited a bad team. Drew Brees inherited a bad franchise and still plays up to the caliber Peyton does. Brees also won a Super Bowl, but their team isn't built around him. They have Thomas and Sproles. Now I may not know anything about Thomas, but I want to assume he is the hard hitting kind of running back while Sproles is the "get me to open field and I will outrun everyone" kind of running back. The Saints aren't built around Brees, the Colts are built around Manning. If the Saints do get Brees out for games, yes they will be a bad team, but they will be able to win some games because they are not a bad team. The Colts on the otherhand, I'm not sure if they will win because of the set up
  • John juskro92 2011/10/26 02:01:02
    John
    +1
    alright.... I agree. I don't think they'll win.
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2011/10/24 19:28:30
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    +4
    This guy is:

Aaron Rogers
  • Splinter76 Junior ... 2011/10/25 01:33:30
    Splinter76
    +1
    I'm not really a Packers fan (I don't dislike them... I just don't have any ties to them) but I totally agree with you. He is unbelievable this season. Now I don't love him as much as one Troy Aikmen (who is ready to actually marry Aaron) but no football fan can deny that Aaron and that whole team are... as it looks now... going to be SB champs. Oh and is it just me or is Clay Matthews a freakin' monster???
  • Junior ... Splinter76 2011/10/25 02:36:19
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    I'm not much into Green Bay either, but I can see MVP material in Rogers. Clay Matthews is a beast out there. They probably will be the next team after Dallas to repeat.
  • jgh57 2011/10/24 18:55:59 (edited)
    jgh57
    +4
    Nope that would be Drew Brees. drew brees
  • Loctia jgh57 2011/10/25 00:40:19
    Loctia
    Thing I love about Drew and the Saints: even when they lose, they don't make mistakes. <3

2014/07/23 01:16:05