Is 'Passion of the Christ' Star Jim Caviezel Being Shunned by Hollywood for Playing Jesus?

Film 2011/05/03 12:00:00
Jim Caviezel, the man who played the role of Jesus in Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" in 2004, reportedly told a First Baptist Church that he has been shunned by the movie industry because of the film.

Caviezel also claims he was warned by Gibson that it would happen, and even hesitated to take the job at first. Eventually, he decided to go with it and accept the consequences.

"[Gibson] said, 'I want you to be aware of what you are going to go through. You may never work again.' He said that several times publicly," Caviezel explained.

"I told him, 'Mel, this is what I believe. We all have a cross to carry. I have to carry my own cross. If we don't carry our crosses, we are going to be crushed under the weight of it. So let's go and do it.' And we began with the film."

The Huffington Post notes that since making "The Passion," Caviezel has only starred in small-time thrillers, most of which did poorly. Before "The Passion," Caviezel had been getting excellent reviews for movies like "The Thin Red Line" and "Frequency."

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/jim-cavie...

• Patch_Logan 2011/05/03 13:41:51
    Patch_Logan
    +11
    Quote - "[Gibson] said, 'I want you to be aware of what you are going to go through. You may never work again.' He said that several times publicly," Caviezel explained.
    Explanation - This is what happens to anyone of moral or religious conviction in the sin state...

• Robby 2011/06/01 02:17:11
    Robby
    Sounds like he is to me & I wouldn't be surprised. There's high school cliques every... even Hollywood.
  • 10997 2011/05/04 08:55:37
  • momma-on-the-hit-list 2011/05/04 04:57:55
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    He was the first professing born again Christian to play the part, double whammy, I applaud him. the behind the scenes were more telling, very good.
  • X_Sparky 2011/05/04 01:43:01
    X_Sparky
    +1
    Does anyone remember that he's was also struck by lightning while on the croos during the filming? I remember the report...
  • Robby X_Sparky 2011/06/01 02:17:47
    Robby
    +1
    Yep... I remember!
  • concerned dude 2011/05/04 01:35:41
    concerned dude
    typical hollywood crap.
  • Gooky 2011/05/04 01:21:00
    Gooky
    He is an excellent actor...Hollywood don't cotton to God loving conservatives! excellent actor hollywood cotton god loving conservatives hollywood

It's dripping with evil!
  • sokoyah 2011/05/04 00:47:45
    sokoyah
    Chose yes because there was no maybe; it is a test of faith for sure. He will work again and he will be pleased with the roles he is offered. He should stop whining and remember JOB!
  • freebirdie 2011/05/04 00:46:38
    freebirdie
    +1
    No shock to hear that Hollywood and a true portrayal of Christ don't gel. Not a big surprise to hear this is happening to him. This has nothing to do with Mel Gibson because Caviezel was already well known. Shame on Hollywood--he's a great actor, and I don't say that lightly for anyone who knows my views on actors....
  • elena 2011/05/04 00:45:15
    elena
    His career after that gore show of "The Passion" could have one or two good films and acceptable works, but it was nothing special. Like him: he wasn´t ever be a "star",not even an excellent actor. So it is not a question of a conspiration, but of his limitated talent. And cries and complaints won´t help him at all.
  • Loctia 2011/05/04 00:07:42
    Loctia
    +1
    More likely, he's shunned for working with an open anti-semite.
  • Steford doesn't follow 2011/05/03 23:45:41
    Steford doesn't follow
    +1
    I'd say more than PROBABLE! probable hollywierd probable hollywierd
  • Steford doesn't follow 2011/05/03 23:45:39
    Steford doesn't follow
  • Gabhain 2011/05/03 23:30:19
    Gabhain
    +2
    “It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”
  • EddyGee53 2011/05/03 23:04:13
  • socokid 2011/05/03 22:54:37
    socokid
    No, I do not believe there is some strange conspiracy theory to harm Caviezel. There are lots of good actors that are not starring in box office smashes every few months. Some NEVER have that opportunity. He was lucky and should be thankful.

This entire story is simply reporting Caviezel's perspective about his current situation. He wants to be a big movie start. We get it.
  • Toodleloo SodaHead 2011/05/03 22:32:47
    Toodleloo SodaHead
    Because he's made other Hollywood movies as well. If he were truly shunned, everyone would refuse to work with him.

He's just crabby because the rest haven't done as well as "Passion of the Christ."
  • Blue 2011/05/03 21:42:51
    Blue
    Poor guy, I hope he gets a really great role and reaps in his just rewards!
  • ernest debrew 2011/05/03 21:32:37
    ernest debrew
    +2
    This is the world. It does not want to speak, think, or represent the Lord. What can you expect?

I think that Jim Caviezel should get involved with Tyler Perry who is a believer.

represent lord expect jim caviezel involved tyler perry believer tyler perry madea
  • sokoyah ernest ... 2011/05/04 00:49:34
    sokoyah
    Not a bad idea at all, it is time Perry did something other than Minstrel Shows.
  • Common Sense 2011/05/03 21:30:19
    Common Sense
    It's a ridiculous notion. All actors have slumps in their careers. Caviezel has had some great roles, but he's never been considered an "A-List" actor. He is a talented actor and should do just fine.
  • Spooky.DeMonde 2011/05/03 21:29:41
    Spooky.DeMonde
    +1
    How can you play a role to something that don't exist...
  • Patrick... Spooky.... 2011/05/03 21:35:50
    Patrick Jones
    +2
    So superman exists? How about Batman? ooo Or the Karate kid? Come on... dont be an idiotic asswipe just becuase you mother didn't teach you any manners
  • Stacie 2011/05/03 21:25:57
    Stacie
    +4
    As far as I am concerned "black listing" a person based on their religion or religious works, whether they are a celebrity or not is religious profiling and it should be against the law.

Jim Caviezel is one of the best actors out there today. You only have to watch one of his movies to see what an amazing actor he is. High Crimes, The Thin Red Line, Frequency, The Passion of the Christ and The Count of Monte Cristo are great movies and Caviezel is a huge part of that.

He has spoken many times about his Christian beliefs and how deeply they run. He will not do a sex scene because he feels it is disrespectful and degrading to God, his wife and his co-star, and yet he was still cast in some very good movies. Apparently being open about your religious faith is not a big deal in the eyes of the movie studios, but accepting a role in a deeply religious movie is career suicide.

When he was offered the role of Jesus in The Passion, he knew that it could adversely effect his career. However, the movie's message was too close to his heart to not accept the role. When the movie was released it quickly became a classic. Caviezel's acting was absolutely
    breath taking, and yet he was offered fewer and fewer roles. The final insult came when they were completely snubbed at The Academy Awards.
  • cb 2011/05/03 21:22:03
    cb
    He has had roles. The movies haven't done that well Maybe it's in the films he chooses to make. There are a lot of awesome actors out there who do not get major main stream credit for what they do and it has nothing to do with being shunned. It has to do with the fact that they choose to appear in films that don't do well for whatever reason good or bad. The point is that it is in what they choose to appear in.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2011/05/03 21:12:13
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Many actors get stereotyped after a memorable role. Just ask Spock... er, I mean, Leonard Nimoy.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2011/05/03 20:26:57
  • the Hoff 2011/05/03 20:23:50
    the Hoff
    +4
    He stood up in a way for his belief and is being punished for it. If it was a movie bashing Christianity he would have a Oscar by now, it's not right.
  • rogueleader9 2011/05/03 20:18:14
    rogueleader9
    +2
    Willem Dafoe wasn't shunned after making The Last Temptation of Christ which until The Passion came out was the most offensive religious movie out there
  • elena roguele... 2011/05/04 00:32:35
    elena
    And remember the excellent career of Max von Sydow after " The greatest history ever told": it hasn´t been the role, it is the actor.
  • Stacie roguele... 2011/06/19 05:25:44
    Stacie
    Dafoe was not shunned because The Last Temptation Of Christ was NOT a Pro-Christian movie. In fact it stated the parts of the Holy Bible are a lie, which is what some liberals have been claiming for years. Why would they shun someone who is in a movie with a story line that fit perfectly into their agenda? The answer is this - they wouldn't.
  • WankerBait 2011/05/03 20:04:46
    WankerBait
    ... He speaks of being "called" to the acting profession and says it was no coincidence that "in my 33rd year, I was called to play Jesus." He even joked about his initials — J.C. — with Gibson at the time of his casting, which "freaked him out a little."

Maybe his actions freak out many others, more than a little...
  • TheLaughsOnUs 2011/05/03 20:03:43
    TheLaughsOnUs
    +1
    But Mark My Words, He is Going to Be HIGHLY Sought After very Soon! Watch and Perceive....
  • Robby TheLaug... 2011/06/01 02:20:14
    Robby
    I hope you're right!
  • lin sugar lips 2011/05/03 19:33:02
    lin sugar lips
    +5
    How stupid is Hollywood the Guy is HHHHHHOT. Wow.. He really is nice to look at.
  • luigi1- in god we trust 2011/05/03 19:30:02
    luigi1- in god we trust
    +4
    Yes. What a shame. He is a great actor with many memerable movies to his credit.
  • bones327 2011/05/03 19:28:09
    bones327
    +1
    What an excellent actor this man is! It is shocking that I haven't seen him in any big films since Passion.
  • Linda 2011/05/03 19:18:55
    Linda
    What Patch Logan said...
  • Shayes ™ 2011/05/03 19:18:18
    Shayes ™
    +8
    Look at what happened to Kirk Cameron. Many folks might not like him but after he turned his life over to Christ he was finally able to see the world with the eyes God gave him.

Those who love Christ must hate the world and those who love the world, hate Christ. For man cannot serve two masters. Either you will feed the spirit and starve the flesh or you will feed the flesh and starve the spirit. They hated Christ and they will hate us also.

NOTE: I don't expect any unbeliever to "understand" what I just said because God's Word IS spiritually discerned.
  • roguele... Shayes ™ 2011/05/03 20:26:37
    rogueleader9
    +1
    actually kirk cameron became insufferable to work with after finding religion. laying into his co-workers about their "immoral" behavior

2014/10/20 14:13:30