Is now the time for the U.S. Supreme Court to take on the gay marriage debate?

L.A. Times 2012/11/25 15:38:00
The Supreme Court took no action Friday on a series of pending appeals involving gay marriage, putting off until at least next week a decision on which cases to hear.

The justices met behind closed doors to debate cases involving the Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8, the voter initiative that limits marriage to a man and a woman. The court said only that it had agreed to hear two new business cases.

supreme court

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-supreme...

• Nancy 2012/12/23 16:19:25 (edited)
    Nancy
    There are far more important issues facing this country than the right for same sex marriage! It is not a civil rights issue,get over it,and get on with what ever life YOU choose.
    Oh,and take responsibility for yourself as well,this isn't the Governments business period!!
    Let's bring back some morals to society.
  • always in trouble 2012/12/21 11:52:44
    always in trouble
    Only if they strike it down.
  • MS239 2012/12/10 17:46:31
    MS239
    I really think that it's funny how this is listed under "entertainment"! I personally think that it's up to the individual state, and their decision. I am not interested in the "goings on" in anyones relationship straight or gay. I am really saddened by all the anger that is in the world today, people plotting against people, trying to get what is not needed, getting into other peoples business, backstabing, backbiting, and the such. We have more important needs that need to be addressed, other than what's going on in someone else's home, or life. I bet if everyone minded their own business, (within reason), things would be so much better. Gay people need to just let things flow and get things done as can, given the circumstance. Trying to push things into other peoples faces usually doesn't work. The media: you people are OUT OF LINE! Somethings don't need to be reported, and/or talked about. But I understand money. That's the driving force for you, nothing else, a persons life or feelings, have nothing to do with you do they?
  • Tylurr 2012/12/05 18:51:04
  • Noor 2012/12/05 18:02:49
    Noor
    +1
    Just put an end to it. There are more important issues on this planet than genders marriage and who puts what where.
  • Lucy Pannell 2012/12/05 17:08:47
    Lucy Pannell
    +3
    I believe the real issue isn't really about the title of marriage, but the entitlements that married couples enjoy. With that said, it is my belief that if a person could give their benefits and entitlements to whomever they so choose.... This wouldn't even be an argument. If an individual wants to assume responsibility for another, place them on their insurance, make them the beneficiary over their belongings and entitlements. Then let them... Why should you have to be married to give YOUR benefits and entitlements to another???
  • Vis Vires Lucy Pa... 2012/12/07 05:43:04
    Vis Vires
    I agree. I'll bet there will be more "undetermined deaths" once gays get married. Bottom line: it's all about money.
  • divinem... Lucy Pa... 2012/12/15 12:39:12
  • Lucy Pa... divinem... 2012/12/15 17:32:16
    Lucy Pannell
    You are the one who is dumb and may I add in need of a class in reading comprehension...So let me see if I can help you better comprehend...
    My post is saying that the laws should be changed so that you can give your entitlements to whomever you so choose, because they are YOUR entitlements. Thereby doing away with the argument over the definition of marriage...
  • divinem... Lucy Pa... 2012/12/16 04:53:10
  • Lucy Pa... divinem... 2012/12/16 07:22:09
    Lucy Pannell
    Equality would be obtained be removing the stipulation of who a person can make a beneficiary to their own entitlements. By allowing people to assume responsibility for whomever they so choose the entire argument becomes null and void.
  • divinem... Lucy Pa... 2012/12/16 19:57:30 (edited)
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/05 14:49:38
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    And strike it down like the abomination it is.
  • bipolar... Christo... 2012/12/11 23:27:18
    bipolarbear
    +2
    Can we strike down the abomination that you are? You anti American Christian fundamentalists should be locked in cages and fed bread cubes and grape juice until you starve to death.
  • History... Christo... 2013/01/02 00:09:01
    HistoryBuff782
    +1
    You know what's also an "abomination"?

Uneducated, ignorant religious zealots such as yourself trying to impose your fairy tales on others. Your hateful desert cult doesn't have any right to say who I can and cannot marry.

ignorant religious zealots impose fairy tales hateful desert cult marry
  • SW History... 2013/01/14 22:27:02
    SW
    +1
    ...And shrimp....
  • Rdtourist 2012/12/05 13:21:42
    Rdtourist
    +2
    The government should butt out of marriage issue, the Feds especially as there is no basis in the Constitution for regulating it in any event.

RANT: Marriage is a rite of usually religious or ethnic significance, not an item of government concern except as a way of getting into a control position, all we need is the government increasing or controlling every aspect of life, NOT. I would just love to see the elimination of marriange tax advantages, dependence support and so on, if you WANT a child, by damn, afford it. if you want a formal cohabitation arrangement, do it in accordance with your church or moral compass rules, do not involve the government.
  • Donald ... Rdtourist 2012/12/05 15:49:55
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +3
    I agree that the government should not be involved in marriage at all; however, that ship has already left port and has sailed far from shore. Since the state is involved in marriage and will remain involved for the foreseeable future then the state should allow all consenting adults to enter into whatever union they deem morally acceptable.
  • Dagon 2012/12/05 05:16:06
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/05 08:21:51 (edited)
    bipolarbear
    +2
    It most certainly is a civil rights issue ,when some citizens are denied the same rights as all other citizens , that is the epitome of a civil rights issue. Just as it was a federal civil rights issue when blacks were forbidden to marry whites by the states and the Federal Courts needed to step in.
  • Rdtourist bipolar... 2012/12/05 13:23:46
    Rdtourist
    +1
    Any one can marry anyone else that they wish to, just not always with STATE or FEDERAL approval, the government needs to butt out altogether and remove support for the act of marriage altogether.
  • bipolar... Rdtourist 2012/12/06 02:57:17
    bipolarbear
    +2
    Yes, well you tell that to those of us who are excluded from the 1,000 federal government advantages that you straight marrieds have that we gay people don't. Until the rules change for all, we will demand the same rules apply to us. Don't like it?
    Tough.
  • Rdtourist bipolar... 2012/12/11 15:12:27
    Rdtourist
    Never said that, as a forever single person, I too have felt the scourge of non-compliance for a very long time, ever since enlisitng in the service at 18 to now, greater than 50 years so far. I feel the government should never have gotten into the support of marriage thing for ANYONE.
  • bipolar... Rdtourist 2012/12/11 23:29:19
    bipolarbear
    +2
    Well, it does. You don't like it? Lobby for change the same way we gays are.
  • Rdtourist bipolar... 2013/01/01 23:51:04
    Rdtourist
    No, you are lobbying FOR marriage, if I were to lobby it would be to oppose marriage for anyone.
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/05 15:28:36
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/06 03:42:29
    bipolarbear
    +2
    I have a great idea. How about we stone divorced people to death who cannot fulfill their marriage vows? 50% of you are divorced before 7 years are up, another 24% before the end of 14. I have been in a stable, loving, monogamous relationship ,with children, for much longer than that, and was legally married last Fall. It seems to me that we contribute more stability to familial relationships than you. Live in your glass house and keep throwing stones.

" americans don't agree with "Gay marriage".( Americans is always capitalized , by the way.) Odd, the last poll I looked at ,said 53% of Americans do agree with gay marriage ,with Catholics at 58%. On November 6th, 3 more states approved gay marriage and one turned back an amendment to ban it. That makes it legal in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, Maryland , Washington State and Washington DC,, with Minnesota, California , New Jersey, Rhode Island and Illinois soon to follow. Strange how so many Americans who you say disapprove ARE approving and granting legal status, along with adoption rights. Sorry, your wishful thinking and unabridged bigotry aside, my fellow citizens are ratifying my right to the same rights they have. And the courts are throwing more of your outrageous, prejudicial...

" americans don't agree with "Gay marriage".( Americans is always capitalized , by the way.) Odd, the last poll I looked at ,said 53% of Americans do agree with gay marriage ,with Catholics at 58%. On November 6th, 3 more states approved gay marriage and one turned back an amendment to ban it. That makes it legal in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, Maryland , Washington State and Washington DC,, with Minnesota, California , New Jersey, Rhode Island and Illinois soon to follow. Strange how so many Americans who you say disapprove ARE approving and granting legal status, along with adoption rights. Sorry, your wishful thinking and unabridged bigotry aside, my fellow citizens are ratifying my right to the same rights they have. And the courts are throwing more of your outrageous, prejudicial laws into the trash barrel of history faster than you can say " gay sex."
    Once the Supreme Court overturns DOMA by next June. The barriers will fall even faster. And we 750 000 members of the Human Rights Campaign will continue to contribute our money to challenging every anti gay marriage law in the country.

You are on the losing side of history, just as you were on the losing side of the Presidential election. Demographics and increased tolerance will be your downfall. Those of you who have attempted to keep your jack boots on the necks of minorities all these years, are fading away into the fog of history as we gays,single women, blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other minorities become the majority in enough states to keep you and your right wing hatred out of the White House and out of majority power for decades to come. You represent the last gasping breath of a dying breed of Neanderthal. Throw all the stones you want. We will pick them up and throw them right back in your hate mongering faces.
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/06 04:07:12
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/11 23:36:05
    bipolarbear
    +2
    Some fad . Being gay is as old as civilization and is recognized in every animal species. You're throwing up straw dog arguments will never change the direction of history . The remainder of your comment is so blatantly idiotic that it doesn't deserve the consideration of a intelligent response.Laughing is a more a appropriate reaction and that's what I'm doing this very second.
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/12 00:00:31
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/12 02:16:13
    bipolarbear
    +2
    I'm terribly sorry for you that you're such an old fart with such old fart attitudes.
    Fads don't last centuries. And, thank God, neither do regressive ,passe, backward , second rate, intellectually deficient blithering idiots
    like you.
    I merely hope that you last just long enough to see gay marriage become the law of the land as it has in many Christian countries . Maybe, those of us who have been fighting against the bigotry, intolerance and hatred of misguided fools like you all our lives, will then have the pleasure of you being so shocked ,that your hate filled heart will give out on the spot.
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/12 03:06:31
  • divinem... Dagon 2012/12/12 03:39:39
  • Dagon divinem... 2012/12/12 07:21:42
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/12 04:13:14
    bipolarbear
    +2
    I could care less what a bigot and homophobe like you thinks. It's not going to stop me from achieving my proper rights in this society. You have no power to determine my fate. You are as powerless in this issue as anyone could possibly be. My rights will be determined by the courts, and your prejudices will not be the determinate factor in any of those decisions. But if you think I will stand by and watch you slander myself and my people with your vile innuendo and misinformed lies, you better think again.
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/12 07:23:51
  • Lorenzo Dagon 2012/12/12 23:26:51
  • Dagon Lorenzo 2012/12/13 01:59:09
  • bipolar... Dagon 2012/12/13 15:56:09
    bipolarbear
    Seriously? How do your friends and relatives known when they can trust you and when they cannot?
  • Dagon bipolar... 2012/12/13 16:16:43

2014/11/01 02:40:23