Is Nicholas Cage a Good Actor?

Sam LeFay 2011/06/18 03:19:11
Perhaps if he acted in only one movie.
But, personally, that stagnant, reoccurring persona that he plays in every single movie not only gets old, but just makes him a terrible actor all together. His inability to reshape for the role and play a completely different person, with different actions and reactions doesn't do much to establish his credibility as an actor. :/
I have acted in several theatre performances and have gotten training from a variety of different directors and professors, so my opinion, while just mine and humble, does not go without it's merit.
So, Nick Cage. Sound off.

• dancerz leggz 2012/05/13 19:21:27
    dancerz leggz
    He is the worst, over rated actor EVER!!! he is sooooo bad and his voice can only stay at one pitch no higher or lower, just louder.......like Nickleback.
  • Kira 2011/06/18 08:51:33
    Kira
    yes, he is doing good job.
  • The Berserker 2011/06/18 05:02:45
    The Berserker
  • Fannie 2011/06/18 04:52:46
    Fannie
    I think so.
  • LdyLeo 2011/06/18 04:04:36
    LdyLeo
    His movies have been terrible lately. The only movie he was ever good in was Face Off.
  • Georgia50 2011/06/18 04:01:32
    Georgia50
    Good, yes. Great? Something's missing and I can't put my finger on it. My hope is that the only thing missing is time. Word is he's no fun to work with.
  • Jareth Majere 2011/06/18 03:58:20
    Jareth Majere
    not at all
  • Shadow's Companion 2011/06/18 03:45:47
    Shadow's Companion
    I've rarely found Nicolas Cage to be an engaging or even instinctive actor, though I enjoyed him in Moonstruck, Wild at Heart, Face/Off and a handful of other films. However, your assessment of proper acting is jaundiced and narrow.

While I certainly appreciate the ability of actors to morph and disappear within a plurality of roles, there is absolutely no reason to dismiss the concept of a recurring persona, refined and played with exquisite precision time and again. Chaplin did it for decades. So did Cary Grant, Greta Garbo, John Wayne (with modest variations), James Stewart, Joan Crawford, Toshiro Mifune, Jean Gabin, Charles Boyer and many other luminaries. They were not simply "stars" but actors with appealing personalities that captured the imagination of a cinematic audience.

I love the Method, but the dismissal of persona is a post-Stanislavski fallacy and blight on our ability to understand movies and movie acting.
  • Foxy Warrior Guru 2011/06/18 03:29:51
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    He tends to overact and ham it up a bit, but overall he gives a satisfying and entertaining performance.
  • NPC 2011/06/18 03:22:16
    NPC
    Cage is a very good actor.

2014/09/30 11:57:46