Is It Lawful to Make ESRB Ratings Legally Bound?

tentmaster 2013/01/17 23:00:00
Related Topics: Games
A new bill was passed off to Congress on the 15th of January that could make video game ratings legally binding. According to the bill, any rentals or sales of games rated AO (Adults Only) or M (Mature) to kids under 17 would have legal ramifications, with penalties of more than $5,000. Will this be a high-scoring win for America, or will it be game over for the bill?

games

Read More: http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-bill-would-make-e...

• Scarlett Jasmine 2013/01/18 01:07:23
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Scarlett Jasmine
    +7
    Well luckily my family knows I'm not a psychopath, so since I'm still 10 months shy of being 17 they buy these video games for me at places where they are strick on the No-Kids-Under-17 rule. I don't believe these kids should have to pay 5,000+. They're buying a video game, not drugs!

• Blake Visentin 2013/02/26 20:54:38
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Blake Visentin
    this should be recommended but not forced if we continue to protect our children like this the next generation is gonna be wearing bubble wrap clothes jesus christ this is terrible
  • Cooper Rofsky 2013/02/21 01:05:49
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Cooper Rofsky
    will they start doing the same with movies too?
  • JackTMohn 2013/02/16 00:22:18
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    JackTMohn
    Really the ratings are there to let you know what is in the game. If you are a concerned parent, don't let your kid play it.
  • Food Stamp Papa 2013/02/09 22:00:59
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Food Stamp Papa
    oh ffs
  • Frumshus. 2013/02/05 00:17:29
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    Frumshus.
    Sorry, I just had to say:

Your mom: RATED E FOR EVERYONE.

That is all.
  • Robert Strobel 2013/02/04 22:57:04
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    Robert Strobel
    If it were only possible.
  • RH 2013/02/04 05:35:10
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    RH
    I'd love this to actually work, but parents will continue to buy the games for their kids. So I doubt it would actually change anything at all.
  • Dominique Baxley 2013/02/03 18:24:00
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Dominique Baxley
    +1
    No way, this bill is just a waste of paper and ink.
  • Blade121212 2013/02/03 16:10:45
  • Ashamed2000000 2013/02/03 07:06:33
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Ashamed2000000
    Worst idea ever
  • KB 2013/02/03 01:04:12
  • Gambit Garrison 2013/02/02 21:26:00
  • Kathulhu 2013/02/02 21:18:51
  • Scud 2013/02/02 12:53:59
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Scud
    +1
    Because no underage kids ever get their hands on porn DVDs.
    Even if it gets passed, it's not going to achieve anything worthwhile.
  • Hakking 2013/02/01 22:22:37
  • Big Mike 2013/01/31 22:23:49
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Big Mike
    +1
    It's already failed once. Second, the movie rating system does not carry the force of all, why should the ESRB?
  • Kenny 2013/01/31 19:29:53
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Kenny
    +1
    Im only 16 but lucky im good friends with the guy at my local gamestop :3 no ID checks or parental guidance needed for me
  • robert.goldsmith.14 2013/01/31 03:46:04
  • Gothic Kitty 2013/01/30 00:06:49
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Gothic Kitty
    Most people don't even know that those letters mean. I mean if they did we wouldn't have 9 year old playing GTA
  • Rave 2013/01/27 20:21:22
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Rave
    It's already the law here in Finland, they ID pretty much everyone young looking buying video games most of the time.

Let me tell you straight away, it doesn't work. I don't know a single young boy that hasn't gotten his hands on the game he wanted. Usually it's going to be the parents buying it anyway, or an older brother or sister, or a friend etc.
  • dfldad 2013/01/26 05:18:06
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    dfldad
    I disagree because when children or teenagers are exposed to new and unusual things and are taught at an early age their differences from rights and wrongs, there shouldn't be a problem but it is very contreversial
  • Near 2013/01/26 00:03:49 (edited)
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    Near
    Ehh I change my mind. Game over!
  • Deludo 2013/01/24 15:37:22
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Deludo
    My problem with the rating system is the reduction in sales it causes.
    If sales are reduced due to an AO rating game makers dumb down the content to fit in the everyone category to make sure they have more sales.

The same thing happens for films.

Another issue is the rating board, they are retarded.
  • MadAlaskan 2013/01/21 20:48:20
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    MadAlaskan
    What's the point of rating the games if they are not enforced? We should have been doing this from the beginning!
  • Hakking MadAlaskan 2013/02/01 22:23:54
  • mylegs 2013/01/21 17:43:45
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    mylegs
    +3
    let the parents do the "parenting", not the government.
  • xcheshirecat 2013/01/21 04:46:46
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    xcheshirecat
    it shouldn't be sold directly to them
  • Cunning Stunts 2013/01/19 07:48:37
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    Cunning Stunts
    It's legal though I don't agree with it.

Smoking pot is illegal but I do it anyway.
  • Stephanie 2013/01/19 06:58:20
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Stephanie
    +3
    The government shouldn't be reaching into the entertainment industry. Rather it should spend more time protecting citizens from danger both domestic and foreign.
  • MIRANDDAAA :) 2013/01/19 03:20:43
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    MIRANDDAAA :)
    +1
    Parents are still able to buy their little brats whatever they want.
  • Tylurr 2013/01/19 01:44:33
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    Tylurr
    +1
    When, WHEN will this stop? When everyone with no sense of how technology or psychology works dies off?! When people that want to blame everything but the parents or genetics gain some common sense?

STOP IT.

Violent kids are drawn to violent media, as are non-violent kids. But seriously, if someone would DO THE STATISTICAL ANALYSIS, THERE WOULD BE NO ARGUMENT.

If you took all of the documented murders from 2011, versus the amount of copies sold of Black Ops 2 in the first two months of its release, assumed every copy was only bound to one person, you would find that there is about a .1% correlation of people that own a violent video game, versus the amount of people that go out and kill. That's not even taking the fact that one's in a 2 months span while the other is over the course of a year.

I have the math. I studied this. I wrote a giant thesis paper on this. I've typed up articles about this. I've argued this a million times.

There. Is. No. Correlation. Not in the way that's accused. How about we blame the Bible for the murders committed because "God told them to" and "The Bible says to"? That seems logical, right? There's more of a correlation THERE than there is to video game related murders.

"But that's intolerant"

Exactly.

These people that support this have ab...

STOP IT.

"But that's intolerant"

Exactly.

These people that support this have absolutely no clue what the differences between cause and effect are.

Now shut up, read a book, do some research, and leave people alone. Video games aren't drugs. Stop treating them like it.
  • opaleyes 2013/01/18 19:04:12
    Game over! This bill has no chance!
    opaleyes
    I don't even play video games and I think this is ridiculous.
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2013/01/18 18:55:21
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    What's the matter , micro brains, no stomach for your own medicine ???....you chant 'Take the guns...take the guns'....BUT when someone one wants to control something of YOURS.....SUDDENLY it's 'you can't do that, I have my rights'
  • Tylurr Ballade... 2013/01/19 01:48:50
    Tylurr
    +1
    While I'm all for people owning guns and think that the taking of them is a terrible idea, let's stop and analyze what you just compared.

You're comparing a device that can directly kill a human being if it's pointed at them and fired, with pieces of software that, at the very worst, will cause a computer to overload from running too much.

You DO realize how stupid that sounds, right?
  • Ballade... Tylurr 2013/01/19 01:52:21
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    juuust applying the same arguments that socialists use against gun owners to video games...after all 'if we can save just one life' isn't that how the propaganda goes?.....what's the matter don't like YOUR rights toyed with?
  • Tylurr Ballade... 2013/01/19 01:55:29
    Tylurr
    +1
    "Socalists"

Maybe you should do a tiiiny bit of research before grouping people that don't agree with you into an unrelated group?

Yes, the idea of taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens is terrible. But the logic doesn't transfer. That's like saying "Because there are people that say God told them to kill someone, the Bible should be blamed for violence" (Which has a better correlation than violence in media, by the way.)

I agree, but disagree with you, if that makes any sense.
  • Ballade... Tylurr 2013/01/19 02:01:25
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    read it back I didn't call YOU a socialist.....remember Sheriff Dipstick that blamed the AZ Shooting on conservatives and talk radio...but hey you tell your socialist friends that are doing the 'Ban the Guns ' mantra to watch out...here's some 'ancient wisdom' that seems quite relevant today....

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the communists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me -
    and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.

The German anti-Nazi activist,
    Pastor Martin Niemöller
  • Tylurr Ballade... 2013/01/19 02:04:01
    Tylurr
    Like I said, I agree with you, but I disagree. Kind of guessing you were being sarcastic about putting a legal precedent on games.

But, I never said you called me a socialist. But calling everyone that thinks there should be some kind of regulation on guns a socialist is a little over the top. If there were other correlations between them and socialists, I'd understand the statement.
  • Ballade... Tylurr 2013/01/19 02:05:41
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    look whose calling for it...each and everyone connected with the former Democratic Party OR 'liberal' which is simply a marketing term for socialist
  • Tylurr Ballade... 2013/01/19 02:09:57 (edited)
    Tylurr
    +1
    So by that logic, everyone associated with the Republican party believes in either a Plutocracy or Theocracy. Neither of which are an effective way to run a country (Theocracy relies on something that isn't there, which means someone could say " told me that you all need to pay me 100 bucks each", and a Plutocracy refers to a rule by people that succeed in being at the top, monetarily, which has no correlation what-so-ever to whether or not they know how to run a government)

2014/09/23 00:28:10