Is it getting easier to find a job?

L.A. Times 2012/12/06 16:29:36
With one of the strongest holiday shopping seasons in years, a surge in hiring by retailers helped lower California's unemployment rate in November to its lowest level in almost four years. The state's jobless rate fell to 9.8% from 10.1% in October, according to data released Friday by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Below, job seekers wait to speak to recruiters at a job fair in San Jose.

job fair

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mo-californi...

• anne.k.murphy 2012/12/30 15:35:48
    anne.k.murphy
    +2
    No, simply because it has always been easy to find a job. Hell, the Dollar General Store down the road from me has had a Help Wanted sign in their window for almost TWO years now! $7.25 an hour, lousy or no benefits... but it's still a job. Wal-Mart and Kroger almost always have a few $7.25-an-hour positions to fill too.

Oh wait. I get it. What the question should have asked is "Is it getting easier to find a decent-paying, living-wage job with good benefits?" My answer is still no. Those have always been hard to find ever since King Reagan came to power in the 80's. Obama may be President, but he is not God. He can't undo the damage the Repubtards have done over the last 30 years in a few short years...
  • Constitution Believer 2012/12/28 16:32:20
  • MadMax 2012/12/28 00:58:20
    MadMax
    At least not in the fifty miles around my locale.
  • bpf 2012/12/27 20:19:33
    bpf
    Facts show the opposite...people are giving up, grads are staying with their parents...in CA it's probably up since people are fleeing the left-wing state!
  • Jimm 2012/12/27 19:29:41
    Jimm
    It's most likely a simple matter of number manipulation...or...it could be that the numbers improved because so many people have exhausted their unemployment benefits, and therefore drop off the accounting figures!
  • scarfy 2012/12/27 18:12:35
    scarfy
    Do you actually believe it? It's seasonal. I know some temporary workers that were laid off right before Christmas. When I went shopping on the 23rd I could easily walk through the stores. Crappy shopping season is starting to be reported. Anyone surprised? The only thing California will get is more with their hands out.
  • Amber Fredrick 2012/12/27 16:37:02
    Amber Fredrick
    temp agencies have ruined the job market. They should be made illegal.
  • scarfy Amber F... 2012/12/27 18:15:51
    scarfy
    Why? Would you like to be forced to pay a plumber even though she did a job but was no longer needed?
  • Amber F... scarfy 2013/01/04 15:35:47
    Amber Fredrick
    Companies can hire their own temporary employees, they don't have to pay agencies hourly to use theirs. It's ruining the job market in our area. All the warehouses and even billing/customer service offices all use temp agencies so unemployed people are forced to apply for agencies and be added to their wait lists to be called for work, which usually never occurs. The old fashioned way, you went company to companies applying for work and had better odds of getting a job. Now you have 500 ahead of you waiting for 1 days worth of work at a temp agency. Also when you take your "temp" assignment, the agency is skimming money off your hourly wage. If you were hired temporarily through a company you would be getting the full amount you should be, and therefor stimulating the economy. I can see a temp agency being a good service if a company needed to find a temp worker but there were a shortage of them around. But it's quite the opposite. If a company needs a temp worker and posted it on just 1 public site like Monster, they would have HUNDREDS of hits. No agency needed. Therefor the agency is making money for essentially being the one to decide what lucky temp gets to work the temp assignment for that week. Sounds evil and unnecessary to me.
  • Flamingolady 2012/12/27 15:25:34
  • Bill 2012/12/27 14:10:53 (edited)
    Bill
    +1
    In Canada, China, Ireland. I don't know but it seems to me that those retailers were hiring temporary, part time Christmas help, not full time employees who plan to retire from the store. California is doing OK, though. They have an outstanding debt of over $600B and a total state debt of over $4T. Maybe they should raise taxes again. LOL Liberals. LOL

http://www.statebudgetsolutio...
  • scarfy Bill 2012/12/27 18:17:41
    scarfy
    The meatheads just don't get it. Maybe a community garden will save them.
  • Constit... Bill 2012/12/28 16:43:42
  • Bill Constit... 2012/12/28 19:38:36
    Bill
    Hmm. The question was: "Is it getting easier to find a job?"
    I answered YES.
    The other part of my answer was: "In Canada, China, Ireland."
    China and Ireland are the haunts of Jeffery Immelt (G.E.), where he outsources and Canada is recruiting FROM California. Here, I was being sarcastic.

I did say that CA was doing O.K.: " California is doing OK, though. "
    However, I followed that with: " They have an outstanding debt of over $600B and a total state debt of over $4T." That was even more obviously sarcasm.

That was followed by a link showing where I got that information from.

Now, for someone to come back at me and accuse me of thinking that a $600B outstanding debt and a $4T total state debt was O.K., isn't reading carefully, interpreting my sarcasm, or is just not thinking. Don't just surface read, read the context.

I do, in a way, understand your dilemma. People who voted for Obummer think that a $16T (and a growth to $20T) debt is no big problem and yearly deficits of over $1T are no big problem, then you probably did suspect that I was a liberal that thought that way. Sorry for the misunderstanding. People who do think that way about the CA debts and the U.S. debt (being no problem) are about to find out what a real economic disaster really is. Tax increases, hidden taxes, Obumme...
    I answered YES.

I do, in a way, understand your dilemma. People who voted for Obummer think that a $16T (and a growth to $20T) debt is no big problem and yearly deficits of over $1T are no big problem, then you probably did suspect that I was a liberal that thought that way. Sorry for the misunderstanding. People who do think that way about the CA debts and the U.S. debt (being no problem) are about to find out what a real economic disaster really is. Tax increases, hidden taxes, ObummerCare taxes, regulations, etc. will surely put us into a recession very, very soon. Layoff notices will be handed out by the fistful. Too bad that the people who did NOT vote for the Irish-Kenyan have to be caught up in that perfect storm of his.
  • Constit... Bill 2012/12/31 06:29:03
  • Bill Constit... 2012/12/31 13:12:25
    Bill
    Thank Ohio and the unions for carrying Obummer for me. They did a great job in ensuring the your state and the nation continue on its economic plummet.
  • Constit... Bill 2012/12/31 18:05:46
  • Bill Constit... 2012/12/31 18:34:33
    Bill
    I think I can finish that sentence for you. Long story, very short, when I was 18, I worked as a laborer on construction site. Two "union" reps came up to me and told me to join the union or I would have my legs broken. I joined that day. Unions suck. They suck the life out of work and business. Witness Detroit and Ohio.

My father was a non-union manager at Royal Typewriter, in Hartford, CT, back in the 60's. The union went on strike for a 10 cent an hour increase. My father told them they would never make up the loss in wages even if they won the strike. They wouldn't listen. They stayed out, Royal closed down and moved out of state - a non-union state. LOL What an irony.
  • Constit... Bill 2013/01/02 04:29:00
  • miamidupont 2012/12/27 09:15:32 (edited)
    miamidupont
    Muh jerbs... What someone says when they are confused about how jobs are created. this is usually followed by, they took our herbs. Signifying their dumb foundedness as to how the job was lost to overseas markets with a higher and more motivated workforce due to high taxes. Which apparently pays for an expanding government workforce with a dwindling nonservicebased private sector. Congratulations on your service(serf)/consumer based economy average muhurika.
  • Sophie 2012/12/27 06:54:00
    Sophie
    I only said no becuse there was not an option for self employed. I am doing pretty good. Work lots, but works for me.
  • Jaiheena Star 2012/12/27 05:27:17
  • scarfy Jaiheen... 2012/12/27 18:19:16
    scarfy
    Maybe when the legal pot market opens up. HAHAHA!
  • us 2012/12/27 01:30:26
    us
    +3
    THe question is how many are they government jobs, and not real jobs from investers,
    government jobs means higher taxes to pay for your job, but I keep thinking Greece.
  • scarfy us 2012/12/27 18:20:17
    scarfy
    Maybe the GREEN energy market will kick in and we'll all be saved. LOL!
  • us scarfy 2012/12/29 01:01:05
    us
    thanks for writing back, no not so much green energy, but nursing, doctors is the field to go into if you are young.
  • I Hate Huffn'Puffn! 2012/12/27 00:51:35
    I Hate Huffn'Puffn!
    +1
    When you exhaust unemployment insurance, ("THEY") you are no longer counted unemployed! If you apply for DISABILITY Social Security (it's granted with a wink, wink and ah, ha, ha!) Obamaz object is to force removal of FOOD STAMPS, Section 8 housing and induce a full scale war of the Havnotz vs. the Haves! And the only winnah will be the ObammaNation!
  • scarfy I Hate ... 2012/12/27 18:23:17
    scarfy
    Those people don't exist anymoore unless they're needed for some left wing political statement......LOL!
  • JeffDeWitt 2012/12/26 23:26:50
    JeffDeWitt
    +3
    The unemployment rate dropping because people are giving up looking for work is NOT good news.
  • Kigan 2012/12/26 23:22:41
    Kigan
    +3
    If anything, it is getting harder.
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2012/12/26 22:46:23
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    +1
    getting hard everywhere. you need experience but cant get any because you need experience. need job experience
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/12/26 22:08:34
    t.eliot, topbard
    Maybe so, but what quality of job?
  • Mamaknows 2012/12/26 21:37:42
    Mamaknows
    +3
    LOL I just don't believe it.
    I know MORE people out of work in CA then anywhere....My county is at 14%.
    Maybe they are talking about al the part time holiday jobs that end in Jan?
    Or the part time service jobs? OR are ALL the people that have been on unemployment...run out of checks?

That IS a JOKE.
  • jon 2012/12/26 21:17:20
    jon
    +3
    Many are leaving or going on disability and welfare.
  • Racefish 2012/12/26 17:38:41
    Racefish
    +3
    People are giving up looking in Cali and moving out. However, the story says this year has been good for retailers. From the last figures, it's been anything but.
  • Mamaknows Racefish 2012/12/26 21:40:31
    Mamaknows
    +3
    Retailers? Good? LOLOLOLOL sales for the Christmas season are down almost 45% from last year. I know two people with shops that are having to close their doors after the pay their taxes....
  • Racefish Mamaknows 2012/12/27 21:40:31
    Racefish
    +1
    Very true. I think the Obama mouth pieces have yet again misspoken.
  • Mamaknows Racefish 2012/12/27 21:53:28
    Mamaknows
    +1
    It's like the media is ALWAYS ALWAYS TELLING people what they want them to think.

Everything is looking up dear**don't look over there and see all those CLOSED signs they are really Happy and doing well signs! Really:)**

Everyone is getting full time jobs and are SO HAPPY to be paying their taxes!!
    **No no don't look at that average "middle class" family standing in line for government cheese....they love that cheese that's why they are there...it tastes SO GOOD....not because there are no jobs. And don't look at all the forclosure notices.....that is just nice houses waiting to be filled:)**

The liberas are GIVING you FREE healthcare!!
    **Oh no hunny don't pay any attention to all the dr's retiring...closing....moving. You don't see people compaining about waiting a couple of months to see a dr....IT"S FREEE:)**

We will just take your guns from you ...for the chillldrreennn's saftey...you want the chilldrreen safe don't you?
    **Don't pay any attention that we are doing what China or Russia or the UN demands...we only owe China a few billion...it's the bad republicans that are stopping us from getting a plan together...obama WANTS this fixed ...really:)...always with a SMILE....

Like the frog in a slow simmer till it's cooked.
    You want to see something creepy:

The guy is all smiles and laughing till he stands at the podium....disturbing.
  • Racefish Mamaknows 2012/12/28 15:10:12
    Racefish
    +1
    We have a 3.5 unemployment rate here. That's misleading since it doesn't include the people who have run out of benefits and those who have stopped looking. It's the same all over. No bureaucrat wants those number out and the media sure won't report it since Fearless Leader would look bad.
    At the first of the Christmas season, they were predicting huge sales increases. Now we find out the opposite has occurred with one of the worst seasons. So much for truth in the media.
  • Derbyhat 2012/12/26 17:09:24
    Derbyhat
    +2
    It only took 892 days after Obama signed that job killing stimulus, to find a job that pays up to 48% of what I made before not to include the benefits lost and I don't serve fries with that!

2014/10/24 09:49:06