Is It Cool for Guys to Read Romance Novels?

Fef 2011/10/19 06:39:06
Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
Women read romance novels. They want to live in fantasy land and pretend that they will someday meet a guy who treats them as romantically as the hero in the novel. Sadly, women will find out the ugly truth that real mean work hard, bring home the bacon, watch NFL and play fantasy football with their guy friends.

Guys don't read romance novels. At least no real macho men have admitted it. Guys could learn a thing or two from a romance novel -- but we can't always live up to those lessons.

• Astro-Boy PHAET 2011/10/19 07:26:53
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +4
    If he wants to read them, go for it.

Personally I love comics. And yes, I'm totally cool. =)

marvel comics

• Mrkando 2011/10/21 02:32:39
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Mrkando
    Only men that truly care for and respect women are the one's that would read these novel's. If those so called macho men would read them they may find out what women really want in a man. For the most part most men have no clue and need a guide to tell them.

The men you find in romance novels are just the same as all men except for one major difference. They actually care about what women want. The down side of it however is often most men could never live up to the kind of men you find in those novels with one exception. Confidence. That makes all the difference.
  • Tropiceagle33 2011/10/20 14:03:07
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Tropiceagle33
    where's the harm in a guy reading romance novel?
  • Gloria 2011/10/20 00:42:34
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Gloria
    Cool guys read about maternal images!
    ma mereRoma
  • Dawn 2011/10/19 23:28:00
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Dawn
    If he wants to read a romance, let him read a romance.
  • cynsity 2011/10/19 20:19:31
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    cynsity
    Clearly Fef you have never read a romance ... the sterio typical description of what you think is in a romance novel isn't even what editors/agents or the industry itself describes as a romance genre.

The goal of the story is to have the protaginist and antaginsit come through some point of crisis and find a mutuilally acceptable ending... some "romance" novels do not even end with teh girl and teh guy together... there are even "romance novels" for gay and lisbian couples.... if you look harliquin (the quintisential romance publishers) have lines of the genre which focuse on the more "real" aspect of love, marriage, and relationships. They have completed lines which feature things like NASCAR fans, Spiritural aspects and Work place relationships.... some feature couples which have been married for decades and have children...
  • Orangedragan 2011/10/19 18:58:22
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Orangedragan
    +1
    Is it cool for women to read sci-fi novels?
  • Gloria Oranged... 2011/10/20 00:36:01
    Gloria
    +1
    Only for sci-fi chicks.
  • Oranged... Gloria 2011/10/20 00:57:29
    Orangedragan
    +1
    Those are the best kind. ^_^
  • Gloria Oranged... 2011/10/20 01:36:43
    Gloria
    And indeed the best kinds!

• MissAsianCherryBlossom 2011/10/19 18:48:46
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    MissAsianCherryBlossom
    HELL YEAH THEY CAN!!! o.O
  • jere.chievres 2011/10/19 18:38:11
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    jere.chievres
    +1
    I read Trillers,Mysteries,History,
  • Nikki 2011/10/19 18:23:37
  • lost snow 2011/10/19 18:07:02 (edited)
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    lost snow
    +1
    nice stories with a different point of view to the ones im used
  • misterz 2011/10/19 17:59:46
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    misterz
    +1
    Why not?
  • F*ckTheSystem 2011/10/19 17:42:30
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    F*ckTheSystem
    I would not date a guy who reads romantic novels...
  • Toby 2011/10/19 15:42:14
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    Toby
    They just watch porn to get their "romantic fantasies"
  • mambotango 2011/10/19 14:30:43
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    mambotango
    +1
    I wish my bf would read one or two.... for ideas. ;)
  • Gloria mambotango 2011/10/20 00:44:23
    Gloria
    Get rid of him.
  • pjwinkler65 2011/10/19 13:52:25
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    pjwinkler65
    Guys don't read romance novels because there is nothing in them to benefit their needs. it isn't like that for women and to say that we read them because we expect men to be like that is kind of a shallow view. We read them for the same reason anyone reads anything...it is an escape. I do not expect my husband to be like any man I read about...in reality I couldn't tolerate some of those morons. One of my favorite romance novels is Diana Gibaldon's Outlander and in it the lead character who all women are madly in lust with, gives the lead female character and spanking and not a sexy one but as punishment. Really now, I would beat some guys ass for thinking he could punish me like a child! If i had to wait til he slept to do it.
    I read historical romance and for accuracy they often portray men's disrespectful attitude toward women so to say that we would want that in reality is ludicrous. For me the historical romance is not even about the romance but about the historical connections, the time and place.
    Your assessment of why women read them is insulting. You might equate it honestly to mens porn. You don't really want your wives to be those girls, if they were you wouldnt need to watch it! Romance is the same for us..it is a simple escape and nothing more. we just arent as shallow and our desires have more meaning.
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2011/10/19 13:50:22
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    A cool guy doesn't subscribe to the rules society dictates...
  • 2226693 2011/10/19 13:44:13
  • Gloria 2226693 2011/10/20 00:34:34 (edited)
    Gloria
    One of the only ones I never read or saw but you get a rave for that. Most guys don't read anything romantic.
  • baboula 2011/10/19 13:32:15
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    baboula
    B.S. Women don't need romance novels (I will concede that maybe at one point they did like 8th grade) Men , macho or otherwise, do not need romance novels to learn how to act with women. Try acting like the woman in your life means more than just a maid, cook, nanny or sex toy. It doesn't have to be everyday (best when she's not expecting it).
  • Oranged... baboula 2011/10/19 18:59:50
    Orangedragan
    Who said anything about learning how to act with women? Maybe they just enjoy the story, or the writing. You might as well claim that women shouldn't read sci-fi novels, because they're never going to go into space.
  • baboula Oranged... 2011/10/24 16:52:29
    baboula
    I don't like sci-fi, I like fantasy like Lord of the Rings
  • Oranged... baboula 2011/10/24 17:54:28
    Orangedragan
    Missing the point, baboula...
  • baboula Oranged... 2011/10/25 01:23:12
    baboula
    Fine..whatever.....Romance novels are garbage-they are a waste of paper and ink...but then that is just my opinon and it will never change
  • angel face 2011/10/19 13:19:29
  • lucky 2011/10/19 12:13:38
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    lucky
    In all honesty i would make fun of my husband if he read romance novels, he would be better off reading this book because it gives me less material to make jokes out of.

idiots guide for romance
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2011/10/19 11:45:08
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    In the closet, unless they want to be overly teased about it. lol
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/19 11:44:50
    Cool Guys Don't Read Romance Novels
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    All guys need to be aware of the needs of their ladies. Maybe guys should take the time to read one of these books one time to get an idea? One time. I don't have time to read fiction.
  • Chi~Cat 2011/10/19 08:43:21 (edited)
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Chi~Cat
    I come from the land of 'Credo....to each their own'. I read Military mags, espionage novels, and get Sports Illustrated.....doesn't mean that what I prefer to read de-feminizes me. Just as long as Fabio doesn't show up or jump outta my fridge exclaiming (with breezy hair and all) "I can't believe it's not butter"! I am cool with it~ ; )
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2011/10/19 07:26:53
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +4
    If he wants to read them, go for it.

marvel comics
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2011/10/19 07:24:11
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    Some Romance novels are good (although most are crap). A guy secure enough in his masculinity to read romance novel is cool. Guys would be more receptive of romance novels if they were written like the Star Wars novel ''The Courtship of Princess Leia'' (it has the perfect balance of action and romance for guys and girls alike to enjoy) instead of like a Harliquen romance novel. As a woman, I don't care for most romance novels but I enjoy reading them anyways. So I see why most guys don't like them.
  • JustMe 2011/10/19 07:23:12
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    JustMe
    if a guy enjoys romance then good for him
  • Zuggi 2011/10/19 07:05:36
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Zuggi
    +1
    I've been on an urban fantasy kick recently, and there's quite a bit of overlap with paranormal romance there (i.e. Sookie Stackhouse). I've avoided most of the true paranormal romances, but I've caught a few that weren't terrible.
  • Moonbeams 2011/10/19 07:01:01
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Moonbeams
    If that's what strikes his fancy, and he can admit to it - that's all well and good.

Personally, I can't stand most Romance novels.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2011/10/19 06:57:15
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +1
    I think it shows a man is secure with his masculinity if he can read a romance novel and admit it :)

I love paranormal romance novels (including the one pictured in the media box for this question) and I think it would be awesome to meet a guy who I could discuss them with.

I've never had any delusions of meeting a real guy who is like the ones in the romance novels...if the fictional guys and the real ones were the same the books would be no fun to read. Plus, one of the main points of reading is an escape from reality.

Though it would be nice to meet and fall in love with a real vampire/shape-shifter/demon/g... lol
  • Predators Eyez 2011/10/19 06:50:50
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Predators Eyez
    +2
    Hey dude, if that's your thing then go for it. I don't get it (and I'm a chick), but do your thing.
  • Booッ 2011/10/19 06:50:33
    Cool Guys Read Romance Novels
    Booッ
    +1
    Why not?

2014/10/01 16:16:58