Is Floyd Mayweather The Best Boxer Today?

Sports 2012/05/07 14:48:15
Pretty Boy Floyd. Money. Athlete you loved to hate. Undefeated and undisputed. Call him whatever you want, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. could call himself the best boxing has to offer. Last Saturday night, Mayweather was tired and bloodied, but put on an exciting and dominant performance in the ring to beat Miguel Cotto in what could be boxing's biggest fight of the year. Mayweather won via unanimous decision (117-111, 117-111, 118-110).

This was a very different Mayweather from the guy we see on TV flaunting his millions. He was a bit more respectful and humble—but just as flashy. How's this for an entourage? Justin Bieber, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, and professional wrestling legend Triple H. After the fight, Mayweather gave Cotto a great deal of respect and interviewer Larry Merchant revealed that Mayweather and himself have squashed their beef.

That didn't stop Mayweather from calling out long-time rival and fellow top boxer Manny Pacquiao though. While Mayweather is set to serve his 90-day jail sentence, he does still want to fight Pacquiao—as do the fans. Both sides have avoided making the fight the last few years and should Pacquiao win his next fight against Timothy Bradley, it would be the only logical matchup to make. But until we truly find out who the best boxer is today, who do you think is the top dog?

• MrFabulous47 2012/05/08 00:50:36
    MrFabulous47
    +6
    Until he stops dodging Manny Pacquiao, nope, I won't say it. He's a punk in my opinion. And he has no class whatsoever.

• Leon Perez Elementer 2012/07/17 22:25:00 (edited)
    Leon Perez
    Pacquiao lost his last fight......Mayweather......ZERO
  • justsomeguy151 2012/05/08 16:11:49
    justsomeguy151
    I can't call a guy the best boxer when he shamelessly ducks the only guy who would give him his biggest challenge yet, Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather is unlikeable and a greedy POS. And the arguably the worst braggart of his generation. He has put so many unreasonable and ridiculous stipulations on a fight w/ Pacquiao that hes ensured the fight will never happen even tho its what fight fans want. The only ones who buy his embarrassing claim to be "the best ever" (LMAO!!!!) are his bootlicking fans and hangers on. The only way he can make the claim LEGITIMATELY...is to fight Pacquiao and win decisively. But since he pees his pants every time someone says Pacquiao's name, we already know he would be KNOCKED OUT.
  • sol 2012/05/08 15:33:47
    sol
    +2
    Until he loses he is the best boxer today. Until he loses there can be no argument.
  • Leon Perez sol 2012/05/08 21:01:20
    Leon Perez
    Thats right....
  • exhon2009 2012/05/08 15:30:27
    exhon2009
    +1
    Manny Pacquiao is.
  • Tre 2012/05/08 15:29:40
    Tre
    Until someone beats him.
  • jacktown kid 2012/05/08 15:12:42
    jacktown kid
    +1
    not until he fights Manny
  • Andy 2012/05/08 14:31:44
    Andy
    +1
    Manny Pacquaio!!!
  • antonio 2012/05/08 13:37:06
    antonio
    +2
    Why doesn't he fight manny? hes to scared!
  • The Libertarian 2012/05/08 13:32:58
    The Libertarian
    +3
    Boxing is and has been a corrupt sport for decades now, most of these boxers are nothing more than common thugs, Mayweather is a racist, if he wasn't black he would fit well in a KKK Dunce cap. Today's boxers pale in comparison to fighters of yesterday. Give me the old Ali and Frazier days, when boxing was between men and not these boys.

Frazier

ali
  • Eugene M The Lib... 2012/05/08 13:42:08
    Eugene M
    How is he a racist?
  • The Lib... Eugene M 2012/05/08 13:44:48
    The Libertarian
    Really? As little as I follow boxing these days even I know of his racist rant against another boxer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
  • Che Gue... The Lib... 2012/05/11 00:00:40
    Che Guevara - Hero
    Still mad about Douche Boy Ron Paul Getting his Ass Kicked ? lol

Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

Ron Paul voted AGAINST awarding Rosa Parks the Congressional Medal of Freedom.

Ron Paul said he would have voted AGAINST the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Paul has a 30 year history of pandering to the KKK and White Power Movement.

You can make all the LAME excuses for White Supremacist Ron Paul you want. His actions speak louder than words

-FACT: Ron Paul's presidential campaign issued a flyer that boasted about the candidate's efforts to introduce legislation that would remove challenges to the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act from the federal court system.
    http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

-FACT: Ron Paul's Iowa state director is Mike Heath, a long-term Christian-right activist who formerly served as the board chairman of an SPLC-certified anti-gay hate group known as "Americans for Truth About Homosexuality."
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

-FACT: Ron Paul has a long history of racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic comments.
    http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

-FACT: As state above, Ron Paul supports the so-called "states' rights" approach to marriage, but interestingly, only for LGBT couples.
    http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul said, "If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have vo...

Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul said, "If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress' constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a same-sex marriage license issued in another state."
    http://www.thepoliticalguide....

-FACT: Ron Paul opposes the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would prohibit discrimination against employees on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity by civilian, nonreligious employers.
    http://www.salon.com/2007/09/...
  • Eugene M 2012/05/08 13:26:00
    Eugene M
    His record says yes. Until someone beats him he is the best. I'll also add that there is no way that PACMAN can beat him. Its clear to me who's dodging the fight. Mayweather's terms are "Lets be tested for any illegalities". Whats wrong with that? You tell me.
  • Scout 2012/05/08 13:18:22
    Scout
    +1
    If he ever stops ducking Pacquiao he'll see who's best.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/05/08 12:02:01
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    He's the best till he loses.
  • Wanderer 2012/05/08 11:14:37
    Wanderer
    +1
    I'll stick wid Pacquiao
  • kaka702 2012/05/08 10:23:01
    kaka702
    I hate his personality, but I have to admit that he's the best right now.
  • Met 2012/05/08 09:29:41
    Met
    They say there's another guy out there that's pretty good... But he can't agree on a drug testing policy so he's disqualified by default.
  • Stryder 2012/05/08 06:58:19
    Stryder
    +2
    Pacman!
  • olylift 2012/05/08 05:53:28
    olylift
    +4
    One word. Pacquiao.
  • VeronicaSilva 2012/05/08 04:23:34
    VeronicaSilva
    +3
    He sucks for the fact that he acts conceided and full of himself
  • CREW grand Veronic... 2012/05/08 12:14:45
    CREW grand
    Well, that can be said about pretty much any of the top boxers I can recall. :)

Don
  • bert 2012/05/08 04:02:30
    bert
    +1
    Not in my eyes...
  • Corsair 2012/05/08 01:43:01
    Corsair
    +3
    Not until he proves himself against Pacquaio, only then he might change my mind. A picture of him with a ton of belts doesn't mean anything. He put himself in a bad position where he shot his mouth off, and couldn't back it up.
  • MrFabulous47 2012/05/08 00:50:36
    MrFabulous47
    +6
  • Marshall Maxwell 2012/05/08 00:38:04
    Marshall Maxwell
    +1
    He adjust well in every fight. You don't have to throw a thousand punches to be a good fighter. People don't light his style which is a counter puncher and it makes fights look boring, but actually there is a lot of technical skills in that boxing style. The undefeated record speaks for itself.
  • Marshal... Marshal... 2012/05/08 04:31:02
    Marshall Maxwell
    I see a lot of people doesn't understand the ends and outs of boxing. Money is not dodging Pac Man and actually called him out for the May 5 bout, but Pac man choose someone else.
    Actually Bob Arum chose someone for Pac Man. Money is a very smart guy. Now before you guys start yelling hear me out. Mayweather loves playing the bad guy because it sells. He also promotes himself so he doesn't have to give someone all his money. Bob Arum promotes Pac Man and gives him a cut of the purse. If the 2 fights and is offered 50/50 then Arum would get the entire purse then give Manny and Mayweather the promised amount. Arum pockets 50 million for doing jack squat and the 2 fighter lose out on millions. Maywheather knows how much his fights bring and would never agree to a specific amount because he would lose out on millions that would go directly to Bob Arum. This is why the two will never fight. Know one is dodging the other. It's all about the promoters fee.
  • XSummerX Tokio Hotel Freak(= 2012/05/08 00:29:22
    XSummerX Tokio Hotel Freak(=
    +1
    He's to full of himself. Everyone has what their good at. He's nothing special.
  • spike66 2012/05/07 23:28:05
    spike66
    +2
    Manny paquio...think that's spelled right....u get my drift.
  • Corsair spike66 2012/05/08 01:37:39
    Corsair
    +3
    Yes, I get your drift. The guy needs to stop whining about Pacquiao, grow a pair, and put his money where his mouth is.
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/07 21:55:29
    +1
    I'm sure he'd like to think so.
  • joe mauro 2012/05/07 21:49:26
    joe mauro
    without question
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/05/07 21:06:37
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +1
    and a watered down BS sport anymore!
  • smitty 2012/05/07 20:38:47
    smitty
    One really can't tell. The best don't fight anymore.

There no money in it for the loser.
  • Krystle 2012/05/07 18:39:44
    Krystle
    +2
    Nope he isn't. And if he was he would stop finding excuses not to fight Manny Paq. What I think he is, is smart. He chooses he fights wisely and he goes for opponents that he knows really aren't a real threat to knocking his record.
  • Osk 2012/05/07 18:36:57
    Osk
    Don't see the point of fighting.... is there really a 'logic' to it?
  • Resp Osk 2012/05/07 20:17:27
    Resp
    It is a competitive sport and contest between two consenting pugilists. The art of boxing is a manly pursuit.
  • joe mauro Resp 2012/05/07 21:50:52
    joe mauro
    a human pursuit i think,human and animal not really man or not
  • joe mauro Osk 2012/05/07 21:50:02
    joe mauro
    money

2014/12/21 23:56:19