"Inside Looking Out" Eric Burbon and The Animals or Grand Funk Railroad?

Concerned Voter 2011/06/06 06:17:58
Eric Burdon and The Aminals
Grand Funk Railroad
Which version of this song "Inside Looking Out" is better? The original by Eric Burdon and The Aminals or the version by Grand Funk Railroad? Grand Funk Railroad recorded their version they were still artists (for 5 albums) BEFORE they changed their style from garage band style to a R&B; style.

• whatsatobe 2011/06/09 13:43:03
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    whatsatobe
    +1
    Why is "Looking In from the Outside" excluded?
  • Concern... whatsatobe 2012/06/18 21:22:06
    Concerned Voter
    Because that is not the name of the song. It is "Inside Looking Out."
  • RobHom 2011/06/08 01:29:58
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    RobHom
    +1
    While I don't think for a minute this one was one of Burdon's best....I think that when a song is originally cut...it is cut as intended, and any remake is just a remake or second rate imitation. In other words...you can't do better than the original by the original artist.

My favorite of Burdon's was:

It has a lot of historical significance in my life...a "been there done it" thing....
  • Concern... RobHom 2012/06/18 23:04:58
    Concerned Voter
    I have to disagree with you on this one because it simply amazes me how a three man group at the time (Lead Guitar Bass Guitar and Drums with one of them doubling on harmonica and on vocals), Grand Funk Railroad, could produce a fuller sounding song than a group with five musicians at the time of recording, Eric Burdon and the Animals. I don't know weather it was a crappy arrangement, or the recording techniques in the UK at the time or just simply a bad mix, the song sounds thin. And at all time in Burdon's version, you are aware that this is a band playing in a studio, specially with that studio echo and that gives the recording a distantness and coldness. it is not a recording were you can close your eyes and imagine the group in the room with you playing where with the Grand Funk Railroad recording you can. It didn't help when the Animal's arrangement obliviously was meant to emphasize Burdon's aggressive vocals at the expense of the other musicians. Like someone did say, it is indeed rougher than Funk's version. And at times it sounds like there is only one or two instruments playing instead of at least four in a five man group. If there are more than one instrument playing the beginning chords then they must be playing the exact same note because it sound like only one g...
    I have to disagree with you on this one because it simply amazes me how a three man group at the time (Lead Guitar Bass Guitar and Drums with one of them doubling on harmonica and on vocals), Grand Funk Railroad, could produce a fuller sounding song than a group with five musicians at the time of recording, Eric Burdon and the Animals. I don't know weather it was a crappy arrangement, or the recording techniques in the UK at the time or just simply a bad mix, the song sounds thin. And at all time in Burdon's version, you are aware that this is a band playing in a studio, specially with that studio echo and that gives the recording a distantness and coldness. it is not a recording were you can close your eyes and imagine the group in the room with you playing where with the Grand Funk Railroad recording you can. It didn't help when the Animal's arrangement obliviously was meant to emphasize Burdon's aggressive vocals at the expense of the other musicians. Like someone did say, it is indeed rougher than Funk's version. And at times it sounds like there is only one or two instruments playing instead of at least four in a five man group. If there are more than one instrument playing the beginning chords then they must be playing the exact same note because it sound like only one guitar until the bass breaks away 16 secounds into the song. Drums don't start until late in the song, 26 secounds, almost a half minute and the electric piano (yeah, that is not an organ playing) starts even later and then they repeat the opening later in the song. At some points in the song it sounds like a two instruments playing a duet between the lead guitar and the electric piano. And they don't modulate at all in the song or develop it's theme.
    That is not so the GFR's verion at all. The arrangement clearly was not meant to emphisize someone's vocals but both the vocals and the instruments on an equal level. Each instrument claerly is playying it's own melody ling or voce (if you want to use techinical musican terms) that is distinct from each other and clearly heard after the first chord. there is no waiting 1 seciunds or nearly a half a minute to interoduce the other instruments. They are right there after the first chord crunch. in fact the drums is the first instrument heard.. The only instrument that is held back is the Harmonica which doesn't appear until the 6:50 minute mark in the song. they moduate, change speeds and develop the theme of the song and even threw in a counter theme whereas the Aminals' version didn't. The riffs are much more easily heard in GFR's version. THe only drawnbacks that I can think of is that the amount of distortion and feedback they use actually forces them to play the song slightly slower than it should be. The recording of the Drums could have been better. Other than that, it is by far the suprior verion.of the song.
  • RobHom Concern... 2012/06/19 00:54:04
    RobHom
    That's a whole lot of dissection.... You have to remember... the Animals made the record in 1966....GFR did it what in the 70's.....there was a lot of technological advancement where electronics were concerned in music....and if you listen closely to just about everything the Animals did....its very raw music.... For instance "Sky Pilot", a tune that was big when I was in Vietnam....very raw, very raw.... GFR was more of a performance/concert band...the Animals....I don't think they ever got beyond the garage band stage.... They were too heavy into the drug scene to worry too much about anything....
  • YeeshWhat Concern... 2013/10/12 04:41:35
    YeeshWhat
    +2
    Yeesh. This post has an unbelievable amount of stupidity. First of all, your horrendous grammar and spelling gives me a headache. You write like an idiot.

Secondly, the content of your post reveals that you are, in fact, an idiot. Are you seriously criticizing The Animals' far superior version of the song for having a structure with limited instrumentation in the beginning to building up to the rest of the instruments joining in? Holy hell...you have no business commenting on anything, ever. If you don't like it, you don't like it...but you wrote that post as if you actually believe that they somehow screwed up by having Burdon delivering blues vocals over minimal instrumentation in the verses, then having the other musicians join in for the ultra-intense choruses.

THAT...my non-friend...is how you build the intensity of a song. Rather than just having all the musicians playing from start to finish, you have some of them dropping out in certain parts, build to a climax, and then unleash, full-throttle.

The GFR version doesn't build anything, it's just a long, pointless exercise in riffs in the vein of Led Zeppelin, only obviously nowhere near as good because GFR consists of mediocre musicians. There's no Jimmy Page in GFR, I'll put it that way. The lead singer sounds like a po...

The GFR version doesn't build anything, it's just a long, pointless exercise in riffs in the vein of Led Zeppelin, only obviously nowhere near as good because GFR consists of mediocre musicians. There's no Jimmy Page in GFR, I'll put it that way. The lead singer sounds like a poor man's Burton Cummings. Eric Burdon makes him sound like a sissy by comparison...which isn't really too much of an insult, as Burdon was one of the great voices of his time.

And in a general sense, as much as I may like a song, there's almost never any reason for it to go on for 9+ minutes. But that's what GFR does...after sucking the blues soul out of the song and turning it into a generic hard rock track.
  • getu 2011/06/06 17:59:34
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    getu
    +1
    Had to listen to both, as I don't recall ever hearing Eric Burdon and The Animals.. Yeah, I know, ..disconnected.. I like the energy of The Animals, as opposed to just volume... But what can you expect from someone who prefers Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Ray Charles and almost anything Motown?
  • Selketskiss 2011/06/06 14:43:24
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Selketskiss
    +1
    I love the Animals but on this one GFR pulls it off smoothly with build ups of music and guitar rifts...so sweet..
  • Concern... Selkets... 2011/06/06 23:04:54
    Concerned Voter
    +1
    I do agree on this
  • JoeDee 2011/06/06 13:46:45
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    JoeDee
    +1
    You must of had some good Bourbon when doing this. I got his autograph a couple months ago. very cool guy.
  • Concern... JoeDee 2011/06/06 21:37:07
    Concerned Voter
    +1
    No, I just missed the mis-spelling.
  • irish 2011/06/06 13:11:04
    Grand Funk Railroad
    irish
    +2
    loved these guys! the song is smoother!
  • Anon 2011/06/06 11:40:48
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Anon
    +2
    Grand Funk always! Such an awesome band.
  • Mike 2011/06/06 11:30:57 (edited)
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    +2
    It's Eric Burdon, not Burbon! If you are going to ask a question, at least get the names right!
  • Concern... Mike 2011/06/06 21:35:51 (edited)
    Concerned Voter
    Sorry, I do try to get it right, I just missed that one.. If you had noticed I had failed to catch the double miss spellings of the word "Animals" I missed spelled it as "Aminals" in the post and had used copy and paste for the answer selection in order to save time. The trouble is I usiually use Spellchecker, but I didn't do at that time at that point. and Burdon's name didn't light up in the spellchecker like it would have done if I had used his correct spelling because Burbon is the correct spelling of another word. That is a flaw of spellcheckers when is comes to names and miss-spellings. If the miss-spelled name or word is the same as another word spelled correctly, the spellchecker ignores it. Spellcheckers normally highlight correctlly spelt names as mis-spelled words because names are usually not normal dictionary words.. . But notice I did get Burdon's name right in the answer selection and the main body of the post.
  • carlton999 2011/06/06 11:17:00
    Grand Funk Railroad
    carlton999
    +2
    I like the GFR version better also, it just has a good feel to it.
  • ϟMöpvytöϟ 2011/06/06 10:48:37
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals
    ϟMöpvytöϟ
    +1
    Eric Burdon and The Aminals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
  • Concern... ϟMöpvytöϟ 2011/06/06 22:42:35
    Concerned Voter
    Classic song. but try this one:

The sad part is that he sang changed the lryics of the song that many artists sang it before him have done. The original words go like this "It's been the ruin of many a poor GIRL and god knows I'm one." It reveals that the narrator in the song is a woman trapped in prositution in the actual historial "Rising Sun" whorehouse in New Orleans.
    Dolly did her own version twice of this. One is true to the song as was written while the other (the more popular version) was a more pop rock version and changed the words again but that version is truer to orginal suject than the Animals version was.

House of Rising Sun (1937) - Georgia Turner.wmv
    Leadbelly in 1944
    The Doors
    Joan Baez

• DavidZubatuk 2011/06/06 08:47:10
    Grand Funk Railroad
    DavidZubatuk
    +2
    Gotta go with GFR on this one, surprisingly enough, because The Animals are one of my all time favorite bands. The GFR LIVE version of this is, IMO, one of the great classics of Rock N Roll....what a freakin' JAM!

2014/09/01 18:36:39