Ind. basketball dad knocks coach unconscious because he forced daughter to run laps: Are parents today different than they were even 10 years ago?

the_old_coach 2012/03/17 02:26:37
I get this kind of crap from parents all the time. I'm so glad I'm close to retirement. It's absolutely crazy these days: students can do NO wrong, teachers and /or coaches can do nothing right.

Here's the article: What do you think?

An Indiana father is facing serious charges after launching a
brutal attack on his daughter's assistant middle school basketball coach for the
coach's implementation of an incredibly simple and traditional practice: He made
her run laps in the gym.

Michigan City basketball parent Shelley Miller — Michigan City PoliceMichigan City basketball parent
Shelley Miller — Michigan City Police

As reported by South Bend-based TV network WSBT, Michigan City, Ind.,
basketball father Shelly Miller, aged 37, attacked Michigan City (Ind.) St. Stanislas School assistant
middle school girls basketball coach Jeffrey Yackus
shortly after one of the
team's daily practice concluded.

According to WSBT, Yackus had punished Miller's daughter and another player
who argued with each other during practice. Yet the only punishment that Yackus meted out was making the two girls
run laps in the school's gym
.

It appears that pushed the elder Miller over the edge. When he went to pick
up his daughter later, she told the elder Miller about her punishment and he immediately attacked Yackus and punched him in the
face
.

That first punch apparently leveled the assistant coach, knocking him to the
ground, where Miller climbed on top of him and repeatedly punched him in the
face and head until he was completely unconscious.

In fact, the incident could have been much worse had it not been for swift intervention by the St. Stanislas head coach, Robert
Johnson
, who pulled the parent from his colleague and helped transport
Yackus to the hospital.

In the immediate aftermath of the incident, Miller was arrested on Class C
felony battery charges and was held on $15,000 bond, which he posted shortly
thereafter. Meanwhile, the school confirmed that his daughter and the rest of
the family were no longer affiliated with the school in any way.

And to think, the entire incident started with a pair of girls basketball
players running laps.

Incredibly, those who accompanied Miller to his arraignment defended his actions to a WSBT reporter on site.

"If the coach is [expletive] with your kid, what are you to do?" Wynter
Goodwin told the station. "You can't talk to him."

Read More: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rall...

• Ron 2012/03/17 22:16:14
    Ron
    +4
    Ten years ago, I don't think so, but they are different than they were 40 years ago. 40 years ago the parent would have meted his own punishment on his kid after the coach was done with his punishment.

• Spider20 2012/04/05 05:53:43 (edited)
    Spider20
    +1
    I don't know about 10 years ago, but compared to when I was a junior high and high school athlete they sure are......it wasn't long after high school that I started seeing some crazy stuff.....like all out fights between parents of kids on different teams....
  • Krystle 2012/03/21 11:03:34
    Krystle
    +1
    I don't think ten years ago is far back enough. The coach should sue though. Teachers and coaches have a right to discipline the kid they are supervising if
    Said kid gets out of line. And if parents don't like their child being RIGHTLY disciplined then maybe their child should get that special treatment they need for their spoiled behaviors from their own parents who should homeschool their kid.
  • Ron 2012/03/17 22:16:14
    Ron
    +4
  • Jdogg 2012/03/17 04:12:26
    Jdogg
    +1
    I hate parents who try to live through there children.That coach should sue that parent.
  • Pele Emerging 2012/03/17 02:52:32
    Pele Emerging
    +3
    I am so sick of the attitude that teachers are always wrong. Part of what is wrong in this country is that there is no respect for education. Look here on SH! If Sodahead is any indication of the country at large, teachers are responsible from everything from what's wrong in this country, to the price of gasoline.

Laps! That's messing with a smart-mouthed kid, huh? Well, looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree, but I sincerely hope that whatever school she attends next doesn't let her play basketball.
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/17 02:40:51
    wtxwoman
    +1
    My son quit Little League back in the early seventies because of the crazy parents. He said they were nuts. I guess they still are.
  • Walt 2012/03/17 02:31:59
    Walt
    +2
    Shelley Miller is just mad at life because his parents wanted a girl.

2014/12/20 21:39:39