If Lance Armstrong comes clean, should he be reinstated?

L.A. Times 2013/01/14 16:00:00
Before assuming Lance Armstrong comes fully clean, not to Oprah but to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency under oath -- quite an assumption, given his decade of lies -- it is worth noting there is a rule covering reinstatement.

The World Anti-Doping Code allows reduction in the period of ineligibility for a person who provides “substantial assistance in discovering or establishing anti-doping rule violations.” In the case of a lifetime ban, as Armstrong received, the code says the new ban must be no less than eight years.

lance armstrong

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-l...

• El Prez 2013/01/15 20:49:44
    El Prez
    +4
    He was one of the many who were doing it. He deserves a chance after a time of atonement.

• Christopher Kirchen 2013/01/28 04:22:54
    Christopher Kirchen
    He blew it. Confession is good for the soul but it shouldn't absolve him of what he did.
  • Dave 007 2013/01/20 13:00:02
    Dave 007
    NO, he had his chance and he blew it.
  • beach bum 2013/01/20 05:04:54
    beach bum
    would be interesting to see who else comes out of the woodwork
  • fivecentfather 2013/01/18 19:01:00
    fivecentfather
    +1
    No, for his own good. I think he would admit that cycling is just not a good fit for his "win at all costs" personality. He needs to stick to charity work and promote drug-free cycling for the rest of his life. He should stay away from any competitive sports.
  • B.O.Plenty 2013/01/18 01:14:00
    B.O.Plenty
    Thisd is another glory hound violating the rules like so many other "heros" they all should be banned from any and all sports. I turn off all sports now because of the doping .
  • Ronzo 2013/01/17 23:32:23
    Ronzo
    Ok then let's make all the known athletes that used drugs give back all their money from sponsors, commercial advertisements. Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire for a start should be banded from having all stat banded from being counted,no admittance to the hall of Fame or special recognition of any type. I bet a high percentage of all athletes are Guilty so let's just band professional sports all together. I think we should include Hollywood also, any and all who have been identified as drug users should also be gone after in the same manner as Lance. I am not a supporter of bicycling, or any sports for many years do to the drug abuse, violence on the field, court and steroid abuse. I bet a lot of people judge Lance are abusers of drugs alcohol and violence but that's ok, NOT! By the Way American Idol Really Sucks, Good Role Models, HA-HA I suggested last year to have 2 country western stars included they got one.
  • AlysVanya 2013/01/17 06:23:28
    AlysVanya
    he fessed up...did any or the other riders do that? no...and can u tell me he iz the only one that did that? then he should be reinstated.
  • nickthestick 2013/01/17 05:00:11
    nickthestick
    he is a disgrace to the sport, but. one cannot deny the good he has done with the money that he has won over the years, so i think it comes down to the fact the he was doing the wrong thing for the right reasons. idk, thats one mans opinion
  • Ken Christensen 2013/01/17 01:16:45
    Ken Christensen
    So he cheated only reason people mad is cause he was better at cheating. Is doping cheating anyway.what about pain pills and such
  • B.O.Plenty Ken Chr... 2013/01/18 01:17:52
    B.O.Plenty
    +1
    Thre is a lot of difference betwen legimate prescribed pain pills and dope. Lance did wrong and knew he was so i say bann him for ever.
  • kat 2013/01/16 23:03:50
    kat
    Any admission/apology appears self-serving at this point in order to get back into the sport. Because it sends such a bad message, I don't think Cheaters should prosper.
  • AlysVanya kat 2013/01/17 06:28:49
    AlysVanya
    i guess it'z only cheating when u get caught...if he was never caught u would be calling him a hero because he won 7 TDF's and earned so much for cancer research...but since he did get caught he iz looked at differently...there are many that dope up and never get caught...he got caught and he admitted it obviously so he can get back in the sport...i think everyone should get a 2nd chance...also if he ever did get back and he won without doping that would not sit well with many ppl lol.
  • Tennessee3501 2013/01/16 21:14:28
    Tennessee3501
    It is too soon to tell. We have to hear what he has to say. If, however, he says that the CIA kidnapped him and forced him to take performance enhancing drugs, then we will know that Bush and Cheney are to blame and Lance should be reinstated immediately! LOL !
  • argusdog 2013/01/16 20:19:12
    argusdog
    +1
    Self-absorbing fraud.
  • Cool Wil 2013/01/16 16:06:15
    Cool Wil
    +1
    NO!!
    Not only is he a CHEATER he also is a LIAR!!
    He should just crawl under a rock somewhere and disappear!!
  • jacktown kid 2013/01/16 15:53:00
    jacktown kid
    +1
    Pay the price
  • Tre 2013/01/16 12:58:28
    Tre
    If there is a rule in place that suggests he would be eligible then yes. The code says the new ban must be no less than 8 yrs.
  • cranejumper 2013/01/16 09:41:03
    cranejumper
    +1
    i just wonder how many others that were racing along side Lance that were doped up also?
  • nicesteve 2013/01/16 08:06:50
    nicesteve
    Let someone who'll be a better ambassador for America take his place.
    And a better example for everyone to look up to. Especially youths and
    young adults. Lance Armstrong, simply, no longer fills the bill.
  • R.J. 2013/01/16 07:55:25
    R.J.
    +1
    He Has made his bed. Let history stand as is.
  • Lillsista 2013/01/16 07:20:16
    Lillsista
    +1
    How could he be trusted? He is no longer a champion.
  • PatLabat 2013/01/16 04:50:43
    PatLabat
    +1
    It's a disgrace to the sport. I just can't believe i thought he was legit! He lied to millions of fanatics, fans, supporters of his brand "Livestrong"... which i am wearing right now on my left wrist. Should I take it off? I will. I won't ever forget this historic moment. You just can't do any sport in a good way huh? Put your heart into it? Lose or win by putting all you can put into it? I hope he never comes back in the news.
  • Edie 2013/01/16 02:49:05
    Edie
    +1
    Do we reward for cheating, stealing, lying and doing drugs? I think he should spend some serious jail time for the crimes he has committed.
  • chadwr85 2013/01/16 02:12:19
    chadwr85
    No he is a disgrace. He lied for years suing people over and over who accused him of juicing then he admits to it. He should have to pay those people he sued. The only meaningful thing that cheating scum liar did was raise money for cancer.
  • MapoTofu 2013/01/16 01:57:28
    MapoTofu
    H.E.L.L. N.O.
    You have got to be kidding with that question. Why is it even a question??????
  • PBAB 2013/01/16 01:54:02
    PBAB
    He's a cheater and a liar. Not once or twice but many times over many years. No reinstatement for that. He built an empire on lies and deceit. Nothing new there, plenty of people do the same thing. But it doesn't matter who else does it. It's wrong, and 2 wrongs don't make it right. BTW, watch for the tell all book and apology tour--sickening.
  • 2013/01/16 01:17:44 (edited)
    I for one believe in second chances.

Life without redemption is not true life, and anyone unwilling to even consider offering redemption, is simply not human if you ask me. This world is filled with enough hate as it is. I get the feeling that the majority of people are more interested in tearing down others for their own satisfaction than building a better world.

And didn't he pass every drug test given to him at the time of each race? I'm not unconvinced there aren't people who don't just simply want to see him fail.

For all the GOOD that Lance Armstrong has done for the world... I quite frankly couldn't care less about any of this big mess, and I've already put it behind me.

Besides, Isn't than man missing a nut? I'm not unconvinced that he was already at a medical disadvantage... hormonally at least. I imagine the other nut did a fair job producing testosterone, but I'm no doctor either. I'm really not offended by anything he's been accused of, and quite frankly, nor do I care.

As I said, the man is an athlete, he has represented good causes, and he is human. Humans are imperfect. They fail. They make mistakes. It's part of our nature.

I'm cool moving on and letting things be. I can forgive anything he might have done.
  • upsevendown 2013/01/16 01:16:39
    upsevendown
    Come clean? Seriously? How is he going to take back all of the lies he made against people? His friends? His teammates? A court of law? A simple polite I'm sorry I got caught and it's over? I think not. He's a liar and cheater. I feel sorry for his children. Oh, this happens coincidently after statute of limitations runs out? I woud be happy if I never heard his name again or saw his face. Good riddance.
  • nami 2013/01/16 00:47:05
    nami
    +1
    He crushed the dreams of those who came in second place without cheating.
  • dzzshadz 2013/01/15 23:53:44
    dzzshadz
    Yes but on probation and random drug testing.
  • macy 2013/01/15 23:14:13
    macy
    Just because he admits he did doesn't mean he can return all of the medals he won to their rightful owners. Therefore, he should not be reinstated.
  • thomas.ilgenfritz 2013/01/15 23:10:42
    thomas.ilgenfritz
  • Watermusicranger 2013/01/15 21:38:02
    Watermusicranger
    +3
    He passed every drug test given at the time of each race. Nothing more should be demanded of him than what wasn't demanded of all the other racers.
  • mm61675 Watermu... 2013/01/18 20:48:10
    mm61675
    I wonder how he passed them
  • Watermu... mm61675 2013/01/19 09:56:47
    Watermusicranger
    Don't know really...... It will come out someday
  • blumunofky 2013/01/15 21:08:08
    blumunofky
    +1
    They may take away his titles but they can never take away his accomplishment. I do not believe any pro athlete in any field goes for his or her entire career without a little "assistance," approved or unapproved.
  • El Prez 2013/01/15 20:49:44
    El Prez
    +4
  • David 2013/01/15 20:44:38
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/15 20:40:54
  • JGF 2013/01/15 20:32:14
    JGF
    What message would that send to future possible miscreants?

2014/07/22 09:20:18