IDOL WATCH: Paul McDonald Says Goodbye, Who Should Go Home Next?

PopNews Wire 2011/04/15 14:00:00
Can we just brag for a second and say we called it?

After Wednesday night's "American Idol," we predicted that this would be regular flosser Paul McDonald's week to go home. And while we're a little bit sad to say goodbye to the suits and the smile, we don't think America was shocked by his departure -- certainly not on a Pia Toscano level. Eighth place feels right for Paul, and we're sure we haven't seen the last of him in the music biz.

VIDEO: Watch Paul McDonald's farewell interview.

Even juicier: Did anyone else catch Casey Abrams saying "I love you" to Haley Reinhart after Ryan Seacrest announced that she was in the bottom three? We're 99 percent sure we heard it, and we would guess this confirms that they're not only dating, but pretty serious. Their duet of "Moanin' " was pretty steamy, too.

Stefano Langone also landed in the bottom three again after giving his best performance of the season, which doesn't bode well for his prospects in the coming weeks. Expect to say goodbye to him, Haley, and Jacob Lusk in the near future.

In between delivering the results and mugging for the camera, Ryan somehow managed to get into a little tussle with original "Idol" Kelly Clarkson. Kelly, who performed her song "Don't You Wanna Stay" with Jason Aldean, reprimanded Ryan for "rephrasing her tweets," such as one where she said she was crushing on Casey (which she didn't really deny). Ryan interrupted her, saying that since it's the results show, he's gotta "get right to it," leading Kelly to snap back, "Just like a man."

If you missed the exchange, it was pretty hilarious -- as was Ryan"s response that the repartee was turning into a "daytime chat show." Rob Reiner also ganged up on Clarkson, affectionately mocking her universally panned movie, "From Justin to Kelly" while offering the contestants tips on how to make it into the movie business. (Based on that zombie commercial, we think they should stick to their day jobs.)

Rihanna also showed up to perform her song "California King Bed," and as much as we love her, we"re not sure about a whole song based on a piece of furniture.

And finally, Paul closed the show with his most memorable song of the season, "Maggie May," urging America to have a good time and "not be sad about this."

"It's been fun," he said.

Paul really has been fun, the epitome of a "cool dude in a loose mood." Not only will he be remembered for his rose-patterned suits and Rod Stewart cover, his impossibly white teeth now have their own Twitter page. If that's not celebrity, then what is?

--Jennifer D"Angelo Friedman, PopNews Wire

• tutu11225 2011/04/22 00:42:54
  • Candy99 2011/04/21 02:42:15
    Stefano Langone
    Candy99
    Yessss my mum hates him I want Lauren to win did you see that time when she fell down the stairs
  • cycles-past 2011/04/19 19:02:46
    Stefano Langone
    cycles-past
    Paul has a great original voice,...he will go far in the music business,.....He should not have been voted off,.....can definatly tell the people who vote are little kids who no nothing about Music
  • darlene 2011/04/18 12:45:59
    Haley Reinhart
    darlene
    I'm so happy to see Paul go. lol happy paul lol haley american idol 2011
  • Glfer65 2011/04/16 15:36:12
    Jacob Lusk
    Glfer65
    +2
    I feel that Jacob will be the next idol to go. He is good but does not have the musical range i.e. rock, pop, country, jazz that the others are capable of.
  • Headhunter 13 2011/04/16 15:35:22
    Stefano Langone
    Headhunter 13
    +2
    But then again he should have been gone long ago before several others.
  • DeeB 2011/04/16 15:34:52
    Jacob Lusk
    DeeB
    +3
    Jacob or Stephano should have gone before Paul. James should win.
  • _softballchick13_ 2011/04/16 15:17:07
    Jacob Lusk
    _softballchick13_
    +1
    Jacob needs to get out already...thosse faces and that annoying voice just make me sick...GO STEFANO!!
  • Dallas 2011/04/16 15:14:10
    Casey Abrams
    Dallas
    +1
    I can't forgive him for screwing up a Nirvana song and then turning around and messing up Creedence Clearwater. I used to like him but he's gotten very boring lately.
  • Marie 2011/04/16 12:52:07 (edited)
    Scotty McCreery
    Marie
    +2
    Go west young man! Only knows how to sing the same way every time- So many can sing like him! west young sing sing Scotty McCreery
  • cycles-... Marie 2011/04/19 19:05:11
    cycles-past
    +1
    He looks like such a geek when he sings
  • Kigan 2011/04/16 12:46:29
    Stefano Langone
    Kigan
    +1
    If we're lucky.

With Jacob Lusk and Casey Abrams to follow.
  • Luxxie 2011/04/16 11:12:23
    Jacob Lusk
    Luxxie
    +1
    I just hope James wins !
  • Adrianna 2011/04/16 08:48:03
    Jacob Lusk
    Adrianna
    +1
    I voted for Jacob Lusk simply because the Louis Armstrong/Steppin Fetchit act is getting tiresome. In Reality, I think it is going to be a toss up between Stefano, Haley, and Lauren Alaina.

Stefano (Joey Tribbiani wannabe) should already be watching the show from the comfort of his own couch. He does not have the looks or the talent of a winner. He missed a GOLDEN opportunity to win favor with the world last week. If he had stepped up and offered to go home instead of Pia, he would have been catapulted to stardom by nothing more than a selfless act. I mean really, Paul, Stefano, and Haley do not stand a snowball's chance of making it to the final four. Pia could have regrouped her fans and ended up winning if one of them would have sacrificed themselves for the sake of the show. Oh well....

Jacob, whom I classify as the love child of Louis Armstrong and Steppin Fetchit, is so annoying by the way he sings that I literally have to turn away from the TV to keep from seeing his face. He would be great as the star of some rural church choir in Mississippi, but that is about it.

Haley is just bad. She has a very nice body, but her face does not look right and her singing just doesn't work. The performance this week was horrible and the only thing that kept her alive w...

Haley is just bad. She has a very nice body, but her face does not look right and her singing just doesn't work. The performance this week was horrible and the only thing that kept her alive was the fact that there were people that were worse than she was.

Casey keeps trying to re-invent himself through his beard and that will eventually become obvious to the rest of the country. He clearly is getting the jewish vote and that might be good enough to carry him to the final four. He personifies everything I don't like about Jazz.

Poor ole Scotty. The boy has one trick in that bag and he keeps trying to shine it up and make it look new. I think he might be able to make it to the final four or even three, but he is going to have to try and figure out a way to keep from being boring -- FAST. The sitting down, pinkie under the mike, raised eyebrow thing is REALLY predictable and not something that endears a 16 year old to the audience. He is a kid trying to act like he is 30 or 40 years old with years on the road.

James Durbin, or bucket head as I call him, is getting a little too cocky. The boy is clearly trailer trash straight out of the gate and while he does have great talent, he does not have the looks or class of a successful entertainer. Of course, I say that at the same time that Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, and Lindsay Lohan are bringing in millions. Maybe the youth of today is gravitating toward trailer trash? Two suggestions to him when he hits it big - Get those ears fixed and get braces on your teeth! Also, you need to get a handle on the hair thing. This weekend mohawk warrior thing just doesn't work. If you have come to realize that bald is in your future, get ahead of it and go skinhead. Anything is better than what you have going right now.

Lauren, or Miss Piggy, is just disgusting. I don't know how close the contestants live to the Los Angeles Krispy Kreme outlet, but they need to consider either locking her in her room or putting a shock collar on her that activates every time she bends her elbow. She is classified right along with Jacob as someone that you might be able to tolerate listening to, but watching is just out of the question. Her face looks as wide as Thia's entire head looked...AND THAT IS SAYING A LOT!!
  • ILuvMonkeys 2011/04/16 05:24:42 (edited)
  • painted desert 2011/04/16 04:31:16 (edited)
    Jacob Lusk
    painted desert
    +1
    I think Jacob is very talented but limited. I think he needs to go. I want to see James go all the way!! I want it for him and his family. But even if he doesn't win, he will get a record deal and be on his way. Look at Daughter. jacob talented limited james family win record deal daughter James Durbin
  • P@!&E <3 <3 <3 2011/04/16 02:47:09
    Jacob Lusk
    P@!&E <3 <3 <3
    +3
    i DO NOT LIKE HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... ugh!
  • POETRY 2011/04/16 02:16:26
    Haley Reinhart
    POETRY
    +3
    I didn't mean Haley! I meant Lauren I hate her voice and don't even think she should have made it through to the second audition after hollywood. She needs to get gone, along with Stefano and Jacob, and Scotty.
  • Vicky3575 2011/04/16 02:14:30
    Stefano Langone
    Vicky3575
    +6
    i will miss paul. he was one of my favorites. paul favorites paul mcdonald
  • cycles-... Vicky3575 2011/04/19 19:06:41
    cycles-past
    +2
    Paul has such an awesome voice,so original,....he will be a big star!
  • LondonByeTaTa 2011/04/16 02:00:17
  • Edie 2011/04/16 01:58:36
    Casey Abrams
    Edie
    +1
    I think Casey and Stefano will be going very soon.
  • Marie Edie 2011/04/22 22:58:08
    Marie
    Good-bye Stefano, good but not good enough! good-bye stefano goodbye Stefano good-bye stefano goodbye Stefano
  • Opal 2011/04/16 01:32:52
    Haley Reinhart
    Opal
    +2
    Not like i care anymore. I'm already bored of the show.
  • the dude 2011/04/16 01:10:11
    Jacob Lusk
    the dude
    +2
    I think Lusk or Stefano will be going next.
  • sk8girl 2011/04/16 00:15:46
    Haley Reinhart
    sk8girl
    +2
    WHO CARES IF PIA WAS VOTED OFF? She even said shes better this way... she has a record deal, god dammit. I thought Haley shoulda gone instead of Paul He was cool... D:

Haley needs to go next.
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/18 12:47:36
    darlene
    +1
    I totally agree!
  • sk8girl darlene 2011/04/18 22:26:32
    sk8girl
    +1
    Thannks! :D who's ur favorite? (if u watch the show)
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/18 22:58:59
    darlene
    +1
    I like Lauren, Scotty Jacob and James. There in no particular order. I know Jacob will get voted off. I really am happy for all these kids.
  • sk8girl darlene 2011/04/18 23:29:28
    sk8girl
    +1
    oh, cool :D i dont really like jacob that much,.....
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/18 23:44:04
    darlene
    +2
    He has a powerful beautiful church voice. He's very sweet too!
  • sk8girl darlene 2011/04/20 22:57:59
    sk8girl
    +1
    Yeah, he's a good singer, but he sticks to one thing, or maybe i dont really like him because i just dont like church/gospel music.
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/20 22:58:53
    darlene
    +1
    I agree sweet friend.
  • sk8girl darlene 2011/04/20 23:00:59
    sk8girl
    +1
    American Idol's on tonight :D
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/20 23:03:10
    darlene
    I can't wait. lol
  • sk8girl darlene 2011/04/20 23:04:54
    sk8girl
    +1
    Me neither. Im in the West Coast though, East gets it first
  • darlene sk8girl 2011/04/20 23:19:05
    darlene
    I'm in Pa.
  • Jan 2011/04/15 23:39:56
    Jacob Lusk
    Jan
    +4
    Sad to see Paul go.
  • twilight_jonas_mj_lvr 2011/04/15 23:38:01
    Stefano Langone
    twilight_jonas_mj_lvr
    +1
    LOL I'm not up to date with the whole American Idol thing but I watched the last episode and when this Paul guy came on, I was thinking..." A country song about rock 'n' roll? Hmm...ERRHH!"
    But Pia Toscano shouldn't have been voted off, that was just wrong.
  • Chili 2011/04/15 23:26:28
    Scotty McCreery
    Chili
    +3
    same thing every week

2014/07/31 07:48:45