IDOL WATCH: Is 15 Too Young to Be a Contestant on 'American Idol'?

PopNews Wire 2011/02/17 18:00:00
The infamous Group Week episode is known for tears, heartache, and drama -- and 15-year-old Jacee Badeaux, who was able to compete this season because "American Idol" lowered its eligibility age by one year, took us on quite the emotional rollercoaster.

The saddest part of Wednesday night's show was watching adorable little Jacee get booted from his original group -- then struggle to find another group at the last minute.

Jacee's original group included the deep-voiced, kind-hearted country singer Scotty McCreery, who also had a hard time finding a group that wanted him. Scotty was conflicted about letting Jacee go, but karaoke host Clint Jun Gamboa mercilessly did away with the tearful teenager.

Luckily, crazy-haired Brett Loewenstern let Jacee join his group -- even though the youngster had never heard their song (the well-known "Mercy" by Duffy). But Jacee didn't exactly have a great audition, nervously changing the lyrics to reflect how he didn't want to "go home."

We thought the judges would surely tell Jacee that he "wasn't ready" for "Idol," but instead, they gave him another chance. Jacee burst into sobs in the tear-jerker moment of the night (accentuated by a sappy Coldplay soundtrack) as his "fans" -- at home and in the audience -- applauded.

Group Week might have been a dream come true for Jacee, but it was a nightmare for Rob Brolin. If it wasn't bad enough being in a group with his ex-girlfriend Chelsee Oaks, Rob also had no desire to perform as a "male dancer." Between the choreography and sheer exhaustion, Rob stumbled through the lyrics of "Forget You" -- and said goodbye to his more successful ex for good.

VIDEO: Go behind-the-scenes at Hollywood Week.

But the worst "group" of the night was probably Tiffany Rios and Jessica Yantz. Tiffany -- the contestant who infamously wore "jujubes on her oo-oo-bees" -- insulted her fellow competitors last week by proclaiming that she was "tired of seeing people trying to do what I know I can."

Needless to say, nobody wanted to be on her team -- except for "hottie" Jessica Yantz, who inexplicably left her own group to be with Tiffany. Both ladies got the ax -- but we're still not sure why Tiffany received a golden ticket to Hollywood to begin with.

Joining Tiffany in the train wreck department was the ever-dramatic Ashley Sullivan. Ashley is this year's "crier" (it seems like there's one every year) -- and at one emotional low point she decided to leave the show altogether. After "Idol" producers (and her boyfriend) urged her to reconsider, Ashley changed her mind -- and miraculously pulled herself together in time to give a cute performance.

Meanwhile, front-runner Lauren Alaina outsmarted the competition once again. She serenaded her biggest fan, Steven Tyler, with "Some Kind of Wonderful" as part of her group routine -- and won a pass to the next round with the cutesy (yet gimmicky) performance.

We were a little surprised to say goodbye to Paris Tassin, the talented single mom of special needs daughter, so early in the competition, but she really did have an off-performance with Rihanna's "Only Girl (In the World)."

Finally, James Durbin, the young dad who suffers from Tourette's and Asperger's, has star written all over him -- but we think he went a bit too far attacking the 15- and 16-year-olds who were receiving help from their "stage moms." Turns out, the teeny boppers performed Queen's "Somebody to Love" better than Durbin's group. But Durbin himself made the cut anyway -- how could the judges eliminate the next Adam Lambert?

Let's see how he holds up against 99 rivals in Thursday's solo auditions.

--Jennifer D'Angelo Friedman, PopNews Wire

• Pattijo 2011/02/19 00:23:17
    Yes, 15 is just too young to handle the pressure
    Pattijo
    They are not prepared to be slammed or even win . It is to much for that age group
  • Uncle Joe 2011/02/18 13:11:52
    No, 15-year-olds should be allowed to compete
    Uncle Joe
    Should've said "Too sheltered to compete." American Idol shows a lot of drama & I'm certain I wouldn't want some of these contestants on 'my team' if I were scraping gum off the sidewalk.
  • ☯Trent-Tastic☯ 2011/02/18 12:49:07
    ☯Trent-Tastic☯
    +1
    The lime light gets to everyone at some point, and I just dont think it's right to push a 15 year old into it....
  • Sammie 2011/02/18 12:41:44
    Sammie
    There a lot of talented 15 year olds in A.I right now..I'm so happy they're in.
  • Mark5610 2011/02/18 11:59:22
    Mark5610
    No but when his voice changes it could devastating to the young talent
  • I "Heart" Logic 2011/02/18 11:29:56
    I "Heart" Logic
    +1
    isnt the point to uncover talent? its no different having someone like Justin Bieber (who I loathe) out there around that age, the only difference is he has to compete with others, let him try
  • Sammie I "Hear... 2011/02/18 12:42:15
    Sammie
    I agree! :)
  • Sonia 2011/02/18 09:05:55
    Sonia
    +1
    kids are too young to work... he can always wait till he turns 18.
  • Sattesh 2011/02/18 08:53:41
    Sattesh
    +1
    15 year-olds nowadays are more than capable in handling the stress.....
    older people on the other hand......
    15 year-olds handling stress older people hand ashley sullivan
    Ashley Sullivan - 25
  • NJ 2011/02/18 08:27:21
    NJ
    hey he have talent and that's what american idol is for
  • Dy 2011/02/18 07:42:49
    Dy
    If he can sing sure if he cant then what i would be worried about is if he going to go into sum stupid teenage depression over the whole ordeal
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/02/18 06:24:18
    Myrle Hulme
    Why?? I thought anyone could enter
  • yunalbert 2011/02/18 06:12:30
    yunalbert
    +1
    what's the big deel!!
  • Not That Serious 2011/02/18 05:10:32
    Not That Serious
    How about we worry about him being too young to be fat. Then we can worry about him being too young to sing.
  • LadyDragon 2011/02/18 04:32:21
    LadyDragon
    Are you kidding, have you seen how some of the so called adults act? I say let them follow their hearts they will never know of they can handle it if they don't try.
  • 12345678910 2011/02/18 04:27:17
    12345678910
    +1
    Hollywood is littered with the lost childhoods and even corpses of people who attained celebrity at too young an age and couldn't handle the pressure. Let the kids have a chance to grow up and then if they want fame, they can go on Idol. Until then, I don't want to see Chris Griffin on AI.
  • kingsleytin 2011/02/18 04:00:59
    kingsleytin
    +1
    age is nothing but a number and talent is endless
  • Jake M 2011/02/18 03:27:15
    Jake M
    As long as he stays in school, he should be able to do what he wants. There is a heck of a lot of pressure put onto a lot of highschool athletes nowadays.
  • mïchεℓℓε 2011/02/18 02:49:56
    mïchεℓℓε
    no it 's not the handle to presure who voted the other is jelous everybody gets to sing
  • Dallas 2011/02/18 02:45:23
    Dallas
    +1
    Jacee is one of my favorite contestants this year! He sounds amazing, it's not his fault that his group was full of jerks.
  • DiViews2014 2011/02/18 02:44:04
    DiViews2014
    Life is coming at a faster pace with each new decade. I do not believe 15 is too young to strive of a career in the entertainment field. I especially find it pleasing this year on Idol that the competition is so much better than it has been in years or maybe ever. The new judges are a plus. The stresses that teenagers must endure normally are greater than ever and I believe in this way it can be channeled.
  • Shadow-Fire 2011/02/18 02:25:08
    Shadow-Fire
    I think there should be an "other" opinion on the poll. Some 15 year olds are quite ready to handle pressure such as this. Others; however, are not. I really believe that it should depend on the person. I have known ten year olds who could handle pressure such as this and pass the test with flying colours.
  • Cloaked_In_Darkness 2011/02/18 02:18:21
    Cloaked_In_Darkness
    People who think people are too young to fall in love at fiffteen are carrying their pretenses over. You don't know it till you've lived it!
  • LarryStylinson 2011/02/18 02:04:29 (edited)
    LarryStylinson
    he's good and there were some other good 15 year olds and is just me or does he remind you of jake from 2 and half men when he was like 11 or 12
  • LLL 2011/02/18 01:46:24
    LLL
    They are so good! They deserve a chance when they are that great. It's fun. If they do get to be stars and people worry they can't handle the fame they have just as much chance becoming a loser if their talent was never discovered. We just wouldn't know about it.
  • Morgan 2011/02/18 01:26:03
    Morgan
    I think it depends on the person. I know personally, I'd crack under the pressure, but that's because I have low self esteem, haha. But I know some people even younger than 15 who are both talented and brave enough to make it on that show.
  • Mrs.Gumdrop C: 2011/02/18 01:17:38
    Mrs.Gumdrop C:
    Nope
  • Hales 2011/02/18 01:06:11
    Hales
    +2
    Poor guy will get overwhelmed with his career and lose time in schools, lose opportunity for college if he wins American Idol.
  • Hayleigh Hales 2011/02/18 19:56:39
    Hayleigh
    They are going to push him to hard we the pressure!They will be like you need to loose weight right now and they will make him work out ALOT!Also he will have people follow him 24/7!!
  • Hales Hayleigh 2011/02/18 20:56:15
    Hales
    Exactly....... 8(
  • Hayleigh Hales 2011/02/18 22:39:24
    Hayleigh
    Yeah so..........that is all I am saying
  • Liv 2011/02/18 00:49:37
    Liv
    if someone can sing, they can sing. no matter the age.
  • <3Megan_Loves_Tyler_<3333 2011/02/18 00:47:43
    <3Megan_Loves_Tyler_<3333
    i think he is UM-AZING!.... Even though if he waited a little longer he could of matured his voice but i dont think he need to.
  • chrystal97 2011/02/18 00:47:28 (edited)
    chrystal97
    Some 15 year olds can handle the pressure, but too many can't take the ridicule. This could shatter someones' self esteem. That is the risk i hope many parents' take into account before allowing their children to compete. Everyone is different.
  • Allilias 2011/02/18 00:19:17
    Allilias
    This just happens to come from a 15 year old but dude he can SING and I thought that American Idol was all about making a musical dream come true.Isn't it?!
  • Gloria 2011/02/18 00:16:59 (edited)
    Gloria
    What about Stevie Wonder, Wayne Newton, Theresa Brewer, etc? If a kids sings the kid sings. Anyway I clicked wrong. I mean Yes it's good.
  • BBoy legacy 2011/02/18 00:09:14
    BBoy legacy
    He seems younger... the dude can sing.. you don't find alot of fat guys who can sing that good and show it like he does.
  • Hayleigh 2011/02/17 23:57:17
    Hayleigh
    Well I am 50 - 50 so.... I mean Justin Bieber is 16 years old but the thing is Justin Bieber is sexy and nice!Thsi guy is the complete oppist of SEXY!
  • PanDuh Hayleigh 2011/02/18 00:07:47
    PanDuh
    +2
    So because he's not sexy, he should get the boot? I thought American Idol was about talent, not looks. @.@
  • Allilias PanDuh 2011/02/18 00:20:45
    Allilias
    You would think that but a few seasons back they wouldn't let an amazing singer compete because she wasn't the "right shape".That really made me angry...>:(

2014/09/16 19:37:25