IDOL WATCH > Did Casey Abrams Deserve to Get Voted Off?

PopNews Wire 2011/04/29 13:00:00
It wasn't as shocking as the first time he was voted off, but we really didn't expect Casey Abrams to leave "American Idol" this week.

Casey, however, didn't seem overly surprised by Thursday's results -- a far cry from last month, when he nearly passed out onstage after receiving the judges' save.

True, his overly gimmicky performances can get a little annoying, but we're still not sure why his gal pal Haley Reinhart was safe with her not-very-memorable performance of "Beautiful" when her awesome performance of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" knocked her down to the bottom three last week. Did she steal some of her boyfriend's votes? Or did Casey just lose people with the "growl"? (As Jimmy Iovine put it, "The family dog does not vote on this show.")

We thought the most likely person to go home this week was Jacob Lusk, even though we really enjoyed his performance of "Oh No Not My Baby" on Wednesday. It wasn't a total comeback like Haley's -- Jacob was still in the bottom three -- but it's clear that he still has plenty of fans out there.

The other huge surprise, even bigger than Casey going home, was seeing Scotty McCreery standing in the bottom three. Jimmy thought his quiet performance of "You've Got a Friend" may have been too subtle, and it looks like he was right.

At this point, the only contestants who have never been in the bottom three are James Durbin and Lauren Alaina, who seem likely competitors in next month's finale. Though with all of the ups and downs in this competition, anything can happen.

VIDEO: See all-new "Idol" finalist diaries.

A few more thoughts on Thursday night's show:

--Jennifer Lopez's red dress was a flashback to her infamous green Grammy dress from 11 years ago. Hot stuff!

--Crystal Bowersox really and truly hasn't changed a bit. If she hasn't had a Hollywood makeover by now, we're guessing she probably won't have one. Go Mama Sox!

--Ryan Seacrest (subtly) dissed Taylor Hicks. Did you catch it?

--Like Randy Jackson, Jimmy Iovine thinks James Durbin can win.

--We know the royal wedding is only a few hours away, but did anyone figure out what the "Idol" contestants were doing at the British consulate? And why Fred Willard was there?

--Jennifer D'Angelo Friedman, PopNews Wire

• destanni 2011/05/01 23:03:44
    destanni
    never he was the best of the best
  • jamell 2011/05/01 16:39:27
    jamell
    yes she did deserve to get the boot she was not a good singer to be on american idol i dont think anyone could possably say shes a good singer honestly thats just my opionion
  • Chris jamell 2011/05/05 22:37:44
    Chris
    +1
    You realize Casey was a dude...
  • Yes
    ♥EnjoyTheSilenceWhileItsThere♥
    YAY LET'S CELEBRATE!!!!!!!i don't like him they should have saved the save for paul!!!!!!!!!!
  • schjaz 2011/04/30 18:29:47
    schjaz
    Yes, a long time ago. They keep talking about the whole package..blah..blah...blah...... want someone good looking so keep looking....he also came across a bit spoiled...good musicians are a dime a dozen....why doesn't this stupid show find some?
  • Venom Valentine 2011/04/30 08:39:19
    Venom Valentine
    JACOB SHOULD'VE GONE! SCOTTY SHOULD'VE GONE! CASEY WAS IN IT TO WIN IT! He has much more talent than Jacob, and Scotty is just plain boring! Casey and James were bottom two material, Casey was NOT bottom three material. I can't believe America sent him home - WHY DONT NEW ZEALANDER'S GET ANY INPUT? Casey should not have gone home, it should have been Jacob, or Scotty. Not Casey. Not Casey. Not Casey.
  • Adrianna Venom V... 2011/04/30 12:28:17
    Adrianna
    +1
    Why do New Zealanders not get any input? 2 reasons...

1. It is AMERICAN Idol and not New Zealand Idol.
    2. Because obviously you would have voted for the wrong person!

LOL

Just kidding.
  • Venom V... Adrianna 2011/04/30 23:42:22
    Venom Valentine
    I know :D I got carried away with my rant. I should have said I WISH New Zealanders got some input (;
  • Eshani ... Venom V... 2011/04/30 18:01:32
    Eshani Chakrabarti
    +2
    FIANLLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!! CASEY IS TRYLY THE MOST MUSICALLY TALENTED IDOL THER HAS EVER BEEN, I MEAN HAVE U SEEN ALL THE INTRAMENTS HE PLAYS! I ABOSLUTLY HATE SCOTTY HES JUST REALLY ANNOYING AND IS ONLY GETTING VOTES FROM COUNTRY PEOPLE! JACOB HAS AN AMAZING RANGE BUT DOESNT COMPARE TO THE TALENT OF CASEY. CASEY AND HALEY R ONE OF THE BEST COMPETITION COUPLES EVERRRR! AND IM ALMOST POSITIVE IDOL HAS FAKED THE VOTES FO RMORE PUBLICITY THANK U SO MUCH IDOL FOR MAKING THIS SHOW SUCK!!!
  • Adrianna 2011/04/30 05:53:19 (edited)
    Adrianna
    Casey should have gone home weeks ago.

See the similarities???

weeks similarities

weeks similarities

weeks similarities
    weeks similarities

And finally...

Plus...

Equals...

equals

That is Louis Armstrong and Stepin Fetchit. Stepin Fethcit was a comedian from the vaudeville era and starred in many movies as well as being immortalized in cartoons as seen in the second image.

The "over-the-top" facial expressions from Jacob are a distraction from his music and something that will likely keep him from winning.
  • Jareth Majere 2011/04/30 05:01:25
    Jareth Majere
    He should never have been saved the first time around, good bye you Fozzy Bear knock off.
  • abbiekat 2011/04/30 00:41:43 (edited)
    abbiekat
    Yeah Casey was unqiue and good, but I knew that he wouldn't win American Idol. I really hope that Lauren Aliana or James Durbin will win.

win american idol hope lauren aliana james durbin win
    win american idol hope lauren aliana james durbin win James Durbin American Idol

I am really hoping HALEY RIEHART will leave next week, I been wanting her gone for months now. But people keep sending her through. I can't stand her growling and groaning on stage.

One down one to go.....
    haley riehart leave week people sending growling groaning stage Haley Reinhart growl
  • Adrianna abbiekat 2011/04/30 07:58:57 (edited)
    Adrianna
    +1
    Do a search on pictures of James and you will see that a LOT of the pictures of him show his head turned the way it is in the picture you posted. The man knows his ears are an issue. He needs to get them fixed. FAST!

Can you imagine the hearing he must have?

You can still see his right ear even with his head turned to a 45 degree angle. THOSE are some ears!!!
  • abbiekat Adrianna 2011/05/02 13:34:54
    abbiekat
    Haha I haven't even noticed, I was staring at his hair!
  • Veritas 2011/04/30 00:12:43
    Veritas
    He was growling too much. Jimmy Iovine called it when he said "Unfortunately household pets don't vote." He's very talented though, I'm not spending anytime worrying about him. He'll get picked up by someone.
  • Lily247 2011/04/29 23:46:07
    Lily247
    +1
    Haley needs to go. She completely butchered two of my favorite songs and did them no justice. Her voice is annoying and I don't get why everyone falls all over her.
  • abbiekat Lily247 2011/04/30 00:47:30
    abbiekat
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
    I feel the same way she groans and growls on stage and flaps her arms around like she is taking off (too bad she doesn't) I wonder why people keep voting for her!
  • Eshani ... abbiekat 2011/04/30 18:03:30
    Eshani Chakrabarti
    +3
    BECAUSE HER VOICE IS SOO UNIQUE AND DID U HEAR HER COVER OF BENNY AND TEH JETS! ELTON JOHN IS ONE OF MY IDOLS AND HEARING HER DO THAT, THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST COVERS I HAV EVER HEARD GO HAILY
  • abbiekat Eshani ... 2011/05/02 13:36:01
    abbiekat
    I love Benny and The Jets and Elton. I guess thats why I loved his version like 20 times better.
  • All American 2011/04/29 23:12:23
    All American
    I think he is far and away the most talented singer/musician/entertainer of the bunch. I think Jacob Lusk should have gone home
  • Rock4Life 2011/04/29 23:07:30
    Rock4Life
    My Top 3:
    1.James Durbin
    2.Pia Toscano
    3.Haley Reinhart
    JAMES IS THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL!
  • Eshani ... Rock4Life 2011/04/30 18:03:47
    Eshani Chakrabarti
    +3
    I DONT SEE A CASEY!!!!
  • L K 2011/04/29 22:53:41
    L K
    +3
    I think Casey is a terrific musician and very talented musically, but he isn't the best singer. I do believe that a few others should have gone before him, like Jacob who sings off key way too often. So, he had to go eventually. I hope James wins. He has the most consistently excellent performances of the whole bunch..
  • abbiekat L K 2011/04/30 00:48:04
    abbiekat
    +2
    I agree
  • Adrianna L K 2011/04/30 12:32:06
    Adrianna
    +1
    As far as his music abilities go, I would put him on the same level as Paul McCartney when Paul was his age. But even so, you are correct, he could not have won.
  • L K Adrianna 2011/04/30 12:51:14 (edited)
    L K
    +1
    Oh, but Paul had sex appeal. He was adorable and had a pleasant voice. No contest.Paul wins. I saw Paul McCartney in concert last year and he still had my heart fluttering 40 years later. He rocked his concert and sang for 3 hours straight and was handsome as ever. I went with my sister and we screamed like we did when we were kids. Some things never change. I just don't see the appeal with Casey. But, I'm not a teenager now so perhaps I just can't see it because I'm not young any more. (Not old, but not young.) Now, Stephen Tyler still does it for me. He's more in my age bracket! LOL.
  • Adrianna L K 2011/04/30 12:59:46
    Adrianna
    I agree 100%. I was only talking about his musical abilities. His versatility with the musical instruments and his ability to think on the fly is similar to Paul when he was younger. As far as looks and singing voice, it is hands down for Paul. No contest. Paul is the man.
  • L K Adrianna 2011/04/30 13:50:46
    L K
    Yes, Yeah Paul! I get what you are saying. Casey is a talented kid. Paul was the whole package. This season all the kids are really talented. Way more than in past seasons. I tend to like the runner ups more than the winners each season. Like Adam Lamburt, was to me, the most brilliant singer they ever had. But he was too out there for most of America to vote for. If they went by singing alone then the outcomes would be very different. But, it is a voting show and teen age girls always have input on who is popular. Unless they limit the age of the voters, it will continue to be a teen voting system and they will elect the final winners.
  • ReconMa... L K 2011/04/30 23:39:26
  • L K ReconMa... 2011/05/01 12:44:50
    L K
    +1
    Nope, in my opinion, and all the people I went with too, saw just Paul being Paul and he brought out all his guitars and shared them on stage telling a bit of history for each one...I played in an all girl's rock band in the late 60's and so seeing his original guitars was awesome for me. Knowing the history and which songs he used them for when he created all the now famous Beatle songs and the fact that he still uses the same ones all these years later ...that got to me. I cried. It was an amazing concert. Here's me in the late 60's.....life was simpler then......I'm 2nd to the left....we shocked everyone then by wearing pants. LOL late 60s life simpler 2nd shocked wearing pants lol
  • ReconMa... L K 2011/05/01 22:28:12
  • L K ReconMa... 2011/05/03 00:23:10
    L K
    +1
    Funny you noticed that....she and I were and still are friends.....and yes, even though we were edgy for 1966, we were clean cut by today's standards. it was all about the music and we rebelled by not wearing dresses . Just putting on pants was considered wild back then. LOL
  • ReconMa... L K 2011/05/03 04:55:41
  • L K ReconMa... 2011/05/03 09:51:24
    L K
    I remember The Wolfman well. And my group played at school dances and funtions too. We opened for The Dave Clark Five when they were in Florida in 1967.(or was it 66? ) Two of us (The one you said looked like my sister) and I went off to college and the rest of the group stayed together for a couple years but then split up.It was fun being a local star for a while. We were written up in the paper all the time because we were girls. I doubt our music was anything special because we didn't play original songs, just hits. My youngest son plays just about every musical instrument there is so I guess things get passed down. I haven't picked up a guitar in 30 years, but I think its time.....my baby boy is graduating college this week, film student with a music minor ....a real creative soul. My oldest is almost 16 years his senior so it will be emotional to watch my youngest walk across the stage and graduate with honors. Strange too. When you have a surprise at 40, you don't expect them to grow up so fast. LOL. But, he is truly a musical master. In this day and age before he went off to college he had hits on youtube and a whole fan base around the country. The world now makes it easier to get noticed. You just download your stuff onto youtube. And he can remaster their sound on his computer and do amazing things with it. What a world!!!!!! Now go pick up your guitar and play music again!
  • ReconMa... L K 2011/05/03 15:57:50
  • ReconMa... L K 2011/04/30 23:42:37
  • L K ReconMa... 2011/05/01 12:46:02
    L K
    +1
    I agree about THAT Paul.
  • abbiekat Adrianna 2011/05/02 13:36:32
    abbiekat
    I love Paul McCartney totally my idol! =]
  • MIRANDDAAA :) 2011/04/29 22:48:56
    MIRANDDAAA :)
    +1
    Casey was my favorite and now I don't want to watch the rest of the season. Jacob needed to go.
  • Eshani ... MIRANDD... 2011/05/07 15:43:45
    Eshani Chakrabarti
    GEESE WHY CAN U COUNTROLL WHO GOES HOME!!! HE IS THE MOST TALENTED IDOL EVER HAD!!! HE SHUOLD HAVE WON JAMES DIDNT HAVE HALF HIS TALENT

2014/10/22 09:57:03