I want to drop out, how do I tell my parents?

Laura 2010/01/17 18:07:56
I'm currently at university and to be completely honest, I absolutely hate it. After thinking long and hard about it, I've decided I want to drop out, I don't want to waste any more of mine, or my lecturer's time studying for a degree that I'm pretty sure I won't follow through with once I graduate.

I've tried to tell my parents how unhappy I am but whenever I so much as mention that uni isn't what I thought it would be, they start launching into endless conversations about persevering and sticking with it.

How am I supposed to tell them how serious I am about leaving when they wont even listen to me or be supportive of what I want to do?

I'm in complete despair...

• iralarry 2010/01/17 18:26:18
    iralarry
    +2
    You need to give them something else to support in lieu of the current education they, I will assume, are providing you. Parents want their children to succeed for many reasons. Give them a reason to support your "dropping out" with a solid proposal and reason to support. If you plan on remaining in the house bleeding them, I'd want to throw your ass out on the street even if I wouldn't do that exactly. But it would be no fun for you, for sure.

Think about what you want to do, for you. What are you good at ,what do you like to do that has potential to support yourself? Are you depressed and need medical help? If you cannot talk to your parents, seek advice from a university counselor. Take a career test to see what direction you should be looking in.

Good luck. So much more to say but have so little to work with.

• ♥TheQueen-Of-Hearts♥P♥H♥A♥E♥T♥
    +1
    Sit them both down and tell them that you are miserable. Tell them flat out that you cant keep doing this to yourself and in time maybe you will go back and continue but for a different degree. NO ONE can live your life for you Laura, you have to take a stand for yourself. Parents or not, you have to be happy with your life and if you aren't Tell them flat out and make it clear that if they try to intervene, you will simply walk out until they are ready to listen to you. You can do it love, be strong.
  • ♥MichelleKaulitz♥ 2010/01/18 09:40:59
    ♥MichelleKaulitz♥
    +1
    well...idk 'couse I'm in high school now so Idk what I have to tell you;/
  • jerrbear 2010/01/18 05:17:06
    jerrbear
    +1
    Drop out and join the military
  • ding~a~ling 2010/01/17 19:50:56
    ding~a~ling
    +1
    drop out then say hey im out
  • Underwear 2010/01/17 18:33:46
    Underwear
    before you drop out you might want to think about how cool you will look flipping burgers and supporting your Marlboro habit on minimum wage. [...] well stay in school or get used to it.
  • Laura Underwear 2010/01/17 18:41:04
    Laura
    +1
    That was nice. My parent's never went to uni and they have done amazing for themselves through grafting and hard work. Just because I don't want to continue my degree doesn't mean I'll end up in McDonalds, I've got my life way more figured out than I think you would care to give me credit for... :)
  • Underwear Laura 2010/01/17 18:46:11
    Underwear
    +1
    wow, well at least you don't sound uneducated. Nevertheless, if you don't finish with at least some kind of degree you will never be taken seriously. try convincing an employer why you dropped out. he won't care, and your excuse that "i hate it" would not fly. be smart, stay in school.
  • Laura Underwear 2010/01/17 18:48:01
    Laura
    +2
    That sounds like tough love, thanks. :)
  • ♥TheQue... Underwear 2010/01/21 08:03:34
    ♥TheQueen-Of-Hearts♥P♥H♥A♥E♥T♥
    +1
    Back off. Do not call her an idiot again or you WILL be reported. I do not tolerate people treating my friends like shit when they are in rough times or not. She is in a UNIVERSITY not high school. There are plenty of jobs she could get other than "flipping burgers" and I did it myself so I do take offense to that.
  • Underwear ♥TheQue... 2010/01/30 21:08:58
    Underwear
    wow. that was uncalled for. i never called anyone an idiot. that was my opinion, and that's exactly what your Friend was asking for. so you back off or i will report YOU.
  • iralarry 2010/01/17 18:26:18
    iralarry
    +2

• Laura iralarry 2010/01/17 18:36:43
    Laura
    +1
    The government in the UK cover all tuition fees so it's not costing my parent's anything. I have a part-time job and pay my parent's housekeeping money, so in effect it doesn't really cost them anything for me still being at home i.e. I'm not sitting at home all day, consuming all their food and using up all their electricity.

I know what I want to do and that's to take a theatrical make-up course, it sounds 'air-headed' in comparison with a university degree, however people have made surprisingly good living's from careers which stem from the course...

So all in all it wouldn't be a drain on my parent's, I know what I want to do and could easily support myself. I guess I just need to pluck up the courage and go for it. Thanks, for your advice!
  • iralarry Laura 2010/01/17 19:03:53
    iralarry
    +1
    Excellent. You provided missing information. Look, I am completely understanding of your situation. Our daughter is a theatre major and has a BFA from a fine conservatory in the US-Chicago. This is what she started out to accomplish. She is at home, living off of us and it is depressing her as she is looking for steady work whilst having the opportunity we as her parents are affording her to intern with a highly respected actor management agency so she can learn and get unbelievably helpful exposure to people that make things happen. This is what we WANT to do for her since she was able to get her degree. We continue to pay her loans until she can take over. It is a financial hardship but not one landing us in the poor house.

Theatrical make-up is as profoundly difficult to get decent paying work out of as much as acting is. If you persevere, you will find success and I offer you my fondest hopes you do go ALL THE WAY.

Go for it but first just discuss it completely with your fam. Try and get some approval. Could you live on our own outside the house?
  • ♥TheQue... Laura 2010/01/21 08:04:59 (edited)
    ♥TheQueen-Of-Hearts♥P♥H♥A♥E♥T♥
    Maybe I can help you... I am excellent in stage make up :)
  • prettytinker 2010/01/17 18:14:57
    prettytinker
    +1
    dont do that
  • Seeker-TERM LIMIT SUPPORTER 2010/01/17 18:11:34
    Seeker-TERM LIMIT SUPPORTER
    +1
    First- I see you are in the UK- your 17- what you are calling university? have you finished High School? grades 1 thru 12 How long do you have to go in university before you graduate- what is your major? who is paying for it? if you drop out- what will you do to support yourself- what kind of job?
  • Laura Seeker-... 2010/01/17 18:18:38
    Laura
    +1
    My university is the same as all other universities, I'm the youngest on my course but I left high school a year early with extremely good grades ( I think the whole high school system works differently over here) I've got another three years until I graduate, my course is cultural/media studies, the government over here cover all tuition fees. I currently have a part time job and pay my parent's house keeping. I'd probably just double my hours until something more long-term came along...
  • Seeker-... Laura 2010/01/17 19:43:43
    Seeker-TERM LIMIT SUPPORTER
    +1
    oh ok thanks for replying. Maybe you can take time off- then go back?

2014/09/30 15:25:17