Hunger games ending. thoughts? (SPOILERS)

linda 2011/03/06 19:29:09
I enjoyed the ending
I did not enjoy the ending
I just finished reading the last novel in the hunger games trilogy. I have been a fan of the books, loved the remarkable characters,laughed,cried,ranted and raved about this book series. but the ending was....
*JUST IN CASE NO ONE PAID ATTENTION TO THE TITLE, HERE COMES THE SPOILER*

disappointing. Katniss was and will always be the girl on fire, and that she went out like a slowly dying ember instead of the powerful flame that the writer has led us to believe that she is, is frustrating to me. I would rather have her go out with guns blazing as a martyr than end as simply living and having children with peeta. the wrongs have not been righted by her simply killing the president of the rebellion. nothing was really resolved in this ending.

• Uriah and Allison Talbot 2012/04/14 05:13:34
    I did not enjoy the ending
    Uriah and Allison Talbot
    The ending was very anti-climatic. The entire series (although utterly gripping) is violent and based on the effects of war, so I knew it wasn't going to be a fluffy, typical "happy" ending. But the ending itself became so rushed. The reason I didn't like it, was it felt incredibly undeveloped and left a million unanswered questions. While it wasn't a fluffy, candy-filled ending it also wasn't anything I expected. I can sum it up in one word: empty. The imagination and intricate story plots that make the series so riveting are abandoned in an effort to just put a cap on it all in 500 words or less. "That's It?"

And during what seems to be the most important event in the book, when Pres. Snow is captured and the Capitol overthrown, what happens- she's knocked out! It comes out to feeling like it was all for nothing. We don't get an idea of the future of Panem, if it was worth it in the end. And after all the build up about Gale and Peeta, the result is very anti-climatic as well. Gale just disappears into thin air without any solid explanation, along with her mother. Poof! And Peeta- what the heck? He's supposed to still be half mad and just managing not to kill Katniss. It jumps from that situation to them being pals again, and then to being in love. Katniss transforms from ...

And during what seems to be the most important event in the book, when Pres. Snow is captured and the Capitol overthrown, what happens- she's knocked out! It comes out to feeling like it was all for nothing. We don't get an idea of the future of Panem, if it was worth it in the end. And after all the build up about Gale and Peeta, the result is very anti-climatic as well. Gale just disappears into thin air without any solid explanation, along with her mother. Poof! And Peeta- what the heck? He's supposed to still be half mad and just managing not to kill Katniss. It jumps from that situation to them being pals again, and then to being in love. Katniss transforms from being the girl on fire to being a pile of ashes. I understand the book is possibly conveying just the damaging effects war has, but come on! Books are always better than the movies, but in this case I wonder if the movie will drop of so suddenly as well without any tweaks?
  • Ladybug 2012/03/14 19:50:11
    I did not enjoy the ending
    Ladybug
    The ending was too rushed. The "tragedy" aspect isn't what left me restless. What I hated was the lack of explanation.

It isn't clear what happened to Panem. Are the districts better off? Are the people happy? Was it worth it? How is the new government working? Also, there's no explanation for the Gale situation. He just poofs away. So does her mom, which is odd. Her own mother leaves her in a trance-like agony, ALONE in the ruins of 12, after suffering a serious burn and watching her sister die, after a war that Katniss herself caused? Yeah. I don't mind the deaths (It's a war; people die), but I don't like how Katniss just writes them off. Some of the deaths could have carried a real emotional impact, but it just isn't there. I don't like that Katniss killed the unarmed civilian woman in the Capitol after condemning the Capitol for doing the same thing. I knew early on Coin was a sneaky hypocrite, but I expected more from Katniss. That's when she died to me.

I hated that Katniss was out cold for the taking of the Capitol and Snow's capture. That is what we, the readers, waited the whole series for. It was an enormous build up for her to what, sleep through it? I want to know how it all went down, not about how ugly Katniss is after she got scorched.

At the end, I just w...

At the end, I just wanted to know more. I wanted to know HOW the Peeta/Katniss thing worked with the hijacking. I wanted to know what was going on with the surviving characters, with Panem, with everything - and no explanation is given. Did Katniss ever see her mother again? Gale? Anyone that was important to her besides Peeta? I wanted to know what happened to Haymitch, Johanna, Annie, etc., but they vanish.

Most of all I didn't like how Katniss ended up as a sobbing heap of weak flesh. That makes Prim's death seem like it was in vain, even though she's what started the entire rebellion. If I were Katniss, even after all I'd been through, I'd make SURE to do everything I could to ensure Panem was better off. I would make sure Prim was remembered, not stare into space addicted to morphling while other people have to feed me. It was just so out of character.
  • derp 2011/08/20 19:13:04
    I did not enjoy the ending
    derp
    +2
    i myself am completely upsetted with this ending.... does no one else feel it shouldve been katniss and gale? i am disgusted with the story ending with peeta and katniss....
  • peaches 2011/03/08 02:14:21
    I enjoyed the ending
    peaches
    I can't imagine it ending any other way. Katniss sure went out in flames, she killed Coin and gave the nation a chance. What do you mean it didn't resolve anything? It resolved basically everything... And after all that had happened to you really think Katniss wouldn't want to settle down and raise a family. You have to remember although you love the series and what happened, Katniss' life was hell, and I doubt she would want to go back to that.
    The only complain I have is that Katniss' and Gale's relationship had no closure and it seemed like they weren't really a part of each other's lives which makes me sad cause they were best friends. And you don't know much about her mother either...
    But I was still satisfied.
  • VoodooDemon 2011/03/07 16:33:32
    VoodooDemon
    The ending wasn't terrible but it was your standard "Happily Ever After" crap.

2014/11/01 11:15:09