How do you think life began on Earth?

bcarrera 2012/09/18 18:43:16
Related Topics: Earth

• Augure3VI 2012/10/14 03:06:30
  • bcarrera Augure3VI 2012/10/14 03:12:10
    bcarrera
    I'm an atheist! : /
  • Augure3VI bcarrera 2012/10/14 03:16:42 (edited)
  • Who wants a cupcake? 2012/10/14 00:04:59
    Who wants a cupcake?
    +1
    God.. its in the Bible
  • Scandalf 2012/09/20 18:34:56
    Scandalf
    +2
    "Panspermia" is the best hypothesis so far...
  • Flip-182 2012/09/19 23:03:00
    Flip-182
    +3
    It probably came from a asteroid that was carrying single cell organisms that lay dormant that crashed into the Earth when the planet was first being formed. The big bang theory only explains how the universe got started and not how life got started on this planet.
  • lizzle13a 2012/09/19 14:39:02
    lizzle13a
    +3
    evolution. we all come from microorganizimes
  • hermit57 2012/09/19 13:35:48
    hermit57
    +2
    I woke up....and there it was!
  • Altering_Minds. 2012/09/19 10:30:01
    Altering_Minds.
    +3
    Basically, we have the six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus (mass) about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium that's just what we're made of. I know that what needs to happen is a combination of H2O and a lot of heat (and others)...and a host (earth): then you get unicellular organisms...
  • Harley Quinn 2012/09/19 05:11:01
    Harley Quinn
    +3
    The Big Bang.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/09/19 02:55:13
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/09/19 02:51:01
    timothy.hill.14
    +2
    God made it all.
    +3
    much like this
    lol
  • Dryth 2012/09/18 23:54:36
    Dryth
    +2
    I don't know. Nobody does. We think that early proteins eventually assembled to form RNA molecules capable of replicating and eventually mutated into DNA molecules capable of reproducing themselves, thus forming the first cells and and jumpstarting the evolutionary process. This, however, is mere hypotheses. Anyone who claims to know is a fool.
  • Elbuscus 2012/09/18 23:02:43
    Elbuscus
    +3
    God made Adam and placed him at the center of Eden
    Eden means delight.
  • Scandalf Elbuscus 2012/09/20 18:36:26
    Scandalf
    +1
    But He created the animals and plants first!
  • Elbuscus Scandalf 2012/09/20 23:39:16
    Elbuscus
    indeed :)
  • us 2012/09/18 22:50:54
    us
    +2
    God created adam and eve
  • ikeknight 2012/09/18 22:11:01
    ikeknight
    +3
    God created it using evolution.
  • rand 2012/09/18 21:52:39
    rand
    +2
    I think it was spontaneous generation, though microbial life from another planet is possible, I guess.
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/09/18 21:09:17
    Magical Mushroom
    +2
    With the moon. A planet cashed into Earth at the time and it sent that planet and half of ours swirling around it like when you swirl your spoon around in your cereal. Then they clumped together and made the moon.
  • Lanikai 2012/09/18 20:49:59
    +3
    God CREATED. God created
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2012/09/18 20:34:02
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +3
    I think a higher power created life on earth in a way that could possibly be explained through scientific research.
  • Robin 2012/09/18 19:52:00
    Robin
    +2
    I believe, with my entire being, everything was spoken into Creation, by the True and Living God of Creation.
    Respectfully,
    Robin
  • Lanikai Robin 2012/09/18 20:51:52
    +3
    Bravo, my daughter just did an evolution versus creation paper for school, and she came to that conclusion on her own.

her primary problem with evolution is reverse and forward-if we evolved from some form of primate, why are there still primates, why didn't all primates evolve. And forwards, if we evolved to what we are, how have we not evolved past what we are.

Pretty smart thinking for a 12 year old.
  • ikeknight Lanikai 2012/09/18 22:15:52
    ikeknight
    +2
    First. Humans are primates, but primates didn't follow just one line. They broke off into many lines. Some survived and continued to evolve and others ended.

As far as evolving, we have evolved and are continuing to evolve, it's just evolution is very, very, very slow. You can't evolve past what we are becuase what we are is a static point in time. We only evolve past what we are in the future.

My personal opinion is God created us using evolution.
  • Lanikai ikeknight 2012/09/19 19:52:40
    +2
    I don't hold with that.

God created, that is all I need. Evo-not so much.
  • Robin ikeknight 2012/09/20 20:45:11
    Robin
    hiss
    if God did it, it aint evolution
  • ikeknight Robin 2012/09/20 21:17:40
    ikeknight
    Please explain why.
  • Robin ikeknight 2012/09/21 00:00:56
    Robin
    Respectfullty, I believe every word in the Bible is true, and that is evolution is not how God had Moses write it down. Ken Hamm... look him up. He is great orator, and runs the Creation Museum. He makes a wonderful argument, and does with with science to collaborate it. I wouldn't want to say anything that would jeopardize someone's salvation, and I care about you. Please, when you get a second, just google him, or he is on Facebook. He goes into dinosaurs, etc way better than I can. Blessings ;) Robin
  • Robin ikeknight 2012/09/21 00:01:30
    Robin
    p.s. I only hiss at people I like :)
  • Dryth Lanikai 2012/09/19 00:22:41
    Dryth
    +3
    To answer your first question, evolution is not linear. Separated populations evolved to suit their environment. The Sapien branch of the primate family tree (us and our ancestors), were, through history, separated from other similar primates in breeding. This is where different species come from. Our branch split to populate grasslands more than jungles like most apes at the time. With a long, complicated, winding branch of progressive species, this population proved successful and split numerous times, the most successful sub-branches winning battles for resources and territory against other bipedal apes. When two species are too similar and populate the same region, competing for the same resources, they will almost inevitably clash and one will emerge the more successful species. This is why our bipedal ape ancestors went extinct as new genetic variations became more successful, and why our early ape ancestors, who did not share our environment, continued on their separate path of evolution, adapting to their own environment (jungles).

And to answer your second question, we HAVE evolved, remarkably quickly at that, but evolution takes a very very long time. A relatively small number of mutations occur every time we reproduce, and only a small portion of those impact...

And to answer your second question, we HAVE evolved, remarkably quickly at that, but evolution takes a very very long time. A relatively small number of mutations occur every time we reproduce, and only a small portion of those impact future generations, and an even smaller number are beneficial mutations. Over centuries of recorded history, humans, in general, have become taller, leaner, and the average human IQ increases, a rate now calculated at roughly 3 points every 10 years. A perfect example of human evolution in progress is the sickle cell. Found in pockets of African ethnicity, their red blood cells are sickle rather than plate shaped, which gives them resistance to Malaria, a much more common disease there than here. It has the capacity to cause sickle cell anemia, but the benefits of Malaria resistance outweigh the cost from a reproductive standpoint.

These are common misunderstandings about the fundamentals of evolution. In short, evolution does not mean "better" it means "different". Natural selection dictates which creatures will reproduce and continue the species based on their beneficial characteristics for the environment in which they live.

When I was in 7th grade, I too wrote a paper explaining why evolution is false, but now that I've grown to understand the science behind it, I've come to realize that I was misled. When you ask questions, I encourage you to look for the answers from those you direct them to. More often than not, they are there.
    Hope you found this helpful.
  • Lanikai Dryth 2012/09/19 19:53:25
    +1
    Not like we did from the original.

God created, and that is all I need. The rest is an atheistic view of the world that discredits the magnificence of what God alone did.
  • Dryth Lanikai 2012/09/19 19:58:38
    Dryth
    +1
    "Not like we did from the original."? explain please, this doesn't make sense.

I'm just informing you that the questions you asked do have answers, and that, in the scientific community, evolution is an accepted fact. You are free to ignore any evidence and believe what you will, I just hope to leave people informed about the facts.
  • Lanikai Dryth 2012/09/19 20:34:04
    +1
    The original (alleged) evolutionary tract was somewhat rapid and very far forward. Then we peaked, according to science, at the place we are now.

Did the DNA fueling the evolution have some form of "end code" virus?

There are too many unprovables with evolution, and our miraculous, amazing, interconnected, intricate design points, without question, to Creation.

Consider the laminin:

laminin
  • Dryth Lanikai 2012/09/19 21:13:23
    Dryth
    +1
    (given your response, I assume you wish to continue your assertion and the debate. Very well)
    ... I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. We never "peaked" in evolutionary terms. There is no "peaking" in evolution. Whatever scientist told you that, I can assure you, hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. Evolution does not mean "better" it means "different". There is no end to the code, we are still evolving, and at a remarkable rate given our long reproductive cycle.

There are no "unprovables" in evolution that I'm aware of. If you know of any please tell me what they are, I'd like specific examples. In my experience, nothing exists in nature that cannot be explained through natural means. If you dare to bring up unprovable ideas, suggest to me how we can prove there is a god, ANY god, regardless which, that's another impossible question.

It took me a while to figure out what you were trying to get at by posting the diagram of a Laminin, and then it dawned on me that you were remarking that it looks a bit like a lumpy cross. Not only is this notion childish to be polite, but THAT is not a Laminin. THAT is a diagram of a laminin. THESE are Laminins:

A cross is a VERY common shape, but regardless how common it is, to think that a random shape in...

remarking lumpy cross notion childish polite laminin diagram laminin laminins
    A cross is a VERY common shape, but regardless how common it is, to think that a random shape in nature has spiritual importance is grossly naive. There are countless organized shapes found in nature, all naturally explainable. Take the snow-flake for example. It's mind bogglingly complex and geometrically near perfect, but we know how it is naturally produced and can replicate the process. The same can be said for the Laminin in evolutionary terms.
  • Lanikai Dryth 2012/09/19 21:34:41
    +1
    I don't really want to debate evo.

I have done that, researched it, allowed my daughter to research and form her own opinions, for me, it is settled.
  • Dryth Lanikai 2012/09/19 21:41:47
    Dryth
    +3
    You may have researched, but your information is incorrect. You've demonstrated only that you lack knowledge about what science really says about evolution. I encourage you to look at more sources than just creationist websites.
  • Lanikai Dryth 2012/09/19 21:51:48
    +1
    If you choose to believe in alternate things, go ahead.
  • Scandalf Lanikai 2012/09/20 18:39:04
    Scandalf
    +1
    "The rest is an atheistic view of the world"
    False! Intelligent Design is not necessarily "Atheistic"!!!

2014/11/22 17:57:48