Hope Solo Explains Why She Failed a Drug Test: Do You Believe Her?

Chris D 2012/07/11 01:00:00
She's blaming it on a medication prescribed for her menstrual cycle...the old "blame it on the period" excuse. Hmmm I think we've all heard that one before... Do you think she's telling the truth?

CSMONITOR.COM reports:
Hope Solo, the US soccer team goalkeeper, failed a drug test and received a warning Monday from the US Anti-Doping Agency. Hope Solo says she will still play in the Olympics.
hope solo

Read More: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Olympics/2012/0710/...

• Common ... Melicio... 2012/07/13 19:30:31
    Common Sense Conservative
    It doesn't matter what a Dr says, it's against the rules.
  • Melicio... Common ... 2012/07/13 21:45:41
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    And people sometimes make mistakes. My father once tested positive for opium because of a poppy seed muffin. The rules state he should have been fired. But he wasn't because it was a mistake.
  • Common ... Melicio... 2012/07/13 21:48:23
    Common Sense Conservative
    Great, but regardless of whether it's a mistake or not, it's against the rules.
  • Melicio... Common ... 2012/07/13 21:49:35
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    So you're saying he should have been fired?

Wait... do you never make mistakes... I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was speaking to a god.

Things in life are not black and white, no matter how hard you try to make them to be,
  • Common ... Melicio... 2012/07/13 22:06:22
    Common Sense Conservative
    I could care less about what your father did or did not do, this is about an Olympic athlete that know's exactly what is and what is not allowed for them to put into their bodies. This list of banned substances didn't just come about recently, it's been around for some time and these athletes know they have to be very careful with what they put into their systems. Whether it was a mistake or not, I could care less, just as the Olympic Committee could care less when they test. She got a huge break with this. As did her team.

God? You must be a liberal
  • Melicio... Common ... 2012/07/13 22:11:47
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Really? I thought liberals didn't believe in god??

Sometime people don't know all the ingredients in their prescribed medicines.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.
  • Common ... Melicio... 2012/07/13 22:17:50
    Common Sense Conservative
    You thought wrong.

Let me reiterate this one more time, Hope Solo is an OLYMPIC ATHLETE. She has rules that she must abide by. She has her own team Dr's, her own team nutritionists, her own team everything. This didn't just start last week. She screwed up. Should she be banished from the team? That's not for me to decide, but come time for the International Olympic Committee to test, she and all the other athletes will not get a 2nd chance. She should feel very very lucky.
  • Melicio... Common ... 2012/07/13 22:19:50
  • RawRsaurus Melicio... 2012/07/14 23:38:44
    RawRsaurus
    +2
    Never argue with a Raiders fan. They enjoy spending most of their time in La-La Land.
  • phil 2012/07/11 15:48:33
    Maybe
    phil
    +1
    But today even money gets u off even more right Roger Clements
  • FatherLiberty 2012/07/11 15:47:37
    FatherLiberty
    +2
    Really, I dont think she needs an excuse... I really dont care if she was on drugs, whether some perscription drug for her period or heroin. And, if anything, it should be only a concern for the team or the league, not the government. The "US Anti-Doping Agency"? Another agency that needs to go... Why is the government involved in regulating sports?
  • Tom FatherL... 2012/07/11 17:35:15
    Tom
    +4
    It's basically an arm of the USOC. It was created as an independent non profit for testing of National competition, Olympics being one of them. It is not a government agency, although it is funded in part by a government grant. The USOC and National level sports is why it exists.
  • FatherL... Tom 2012/07/11 17:44:26
    FatherLiberty
    +2
    Yeah, its ridiculous. Just like our congress having hearings about athletes using steroids, like thats an issue that our congress should be concerned with....
  • gary FatherL... 2012/07/11 17:48:40
    gary
    +1
    well simply put YES...
  • 16 2012/07/11 15:31:50
    16
    Sounds pretty believable.
  • jacktown kid 2012/07/11 15:19:42
    jacktown kid
    It does happen and notify the folks of what happen as well
  • DDogbreath 2012/07/11 15:17:30
    DDogbreath
    +1
    I've got her replacement just dying to play.

No drugs just "Milk Bones"
  • KoAm 2012/07/11 14:30:38
    KoAm
    +3
    Before I even checked your profile, I just knew that it was a man posting this question ... with its snide "blame it on the period excuse" comment and the overly-skeptical "we've all heard that one before."

I guess you've never been on menstrual meds, nor have the slightest effing clue about anything having to do with them.

She got tested, the medication was detected ... and she only got a WARNING. And she's not getting tossed out of the Olympics.

So ... nothing to see here. Let's move on.

And let's keep away from the judgmental comments in the future that border dangerously close to chauvinism and sexism, sir.
  • Cthulhu 2012/07/11 13:49:16
    Cthulhu
    Smells like the truth to me.

smells truth
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/07/11 13:49:07
    Maybe
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    The Olympic Committee is trying to keep the games clean, but there's also a significant political contingent. You cannot play soccer at this level with debilitating cramps and as someone who experienced that earlier in life, I don't think she would say that if it was not true. I would rather they start checking more heavily for steroids and steroid clones and the dubious women who look more like men in track and field.
  • tobe 2012/07/11 13:25:57
    tobe
    +1
    no reason i find to not believe her.
  • Nameless 2012/07/11 12:13:40
    Nameless
    +1
    I meant to click on "Yes." This medication is used for PMS and has no real performance enhancing properties. I did several searches and even called a pharmacist friend of mine... My initial response was going to be "No" but decided to do some leg work, first, and discovered I was wrong.
  • Tom Nameless 2012/07/11 17:37:01
    Tom
    It doesn't have performance enhancing properties, it is commonly used as a masking agent though. That is why it was flagged.
  • Nameless Tom 2012/07/11 17:40:56
    Nameless
    Will they allow her to continue taking it? (Just wondering)
  • La 2012/07/11 12:10:15
    La
    +3
    In the absence of evidence that no birth control medications could possibly cause her to fail this drug test, yes, I believe her.
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/07/11 12:09:35
    Maybe
    jerry.alan.carroll
    and I don't care. Steroids are used often in the sports world not to get an edge, but to hurry up and heal for the next game. injuries suck!
  • Joey 2012/07/11 11:24:50
    Joey
    but she is really pretty so I don't care . She could set my Jeep on fire and then say oops . And I would not care . I mean dang. But anywho I still had the US Anti-Doping Agency, our tax dollars are wasted on this.
  • john.keenan.792 2012/07/11 10:07:12
    Maybe
    john.keenan.792
    only she knows the truth and can she live with it, but i guess will we ever be able to trust athletes in all honnesty, if she has taken enhancements then yeah by all means kick her ass out but as long as people are being let in after a period of time then it puts fourth the message it is o.k, where i as i think rather than the softy soft approach it should be made more apparent from an early age do not do it, and if you do, then every thing should e made public so if they go to get a job elsewhere everyone knows not to employ this person and deny then bennefits i.e un-employemnet food tokens nothing they made their choice, they need to live with it
  • Vieuphoria 2012/07/11 09:13:45
    Vieuphoria
    +2
    I have no reason to doubt her. I don't have any of the fact, neither do any of you.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2012/07/11 08:30:59
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +3
    Why the rush to make more of this than what the article said? It's obvious the Agency took her at her word! Why can't everybody else?
  • Wido1511 2012/07/11 08:26:09
    Maybe
    Wido1511
    I don't know in realy..
    :D
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2012/07/11 08:24:33
    Maybe
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +2
    Ether way she should have notified someone that she was taking any form of medication or drugs, then these things wouldn't happen. Easy mistake to make really, and it cant be too serious if she will still be in the Olympics.
  • Skye 2012/07/11 07:26:44
    Maybe
    Skye
    Idk.
  • Fenabarb 2012/07/11 07:15:26
    Fenabarb
    they know what medication to take.
    I think drugs are still rife in too many sports still
  • Karl 2012/07/11 06:17:41
    Karl
    Most pages on Google say that menstruation doesn't affect drug testing. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to a good medical site, but here's something from NASA's pages: https://answers.nssc.nasa.gov...
  • Libertys Martyr 2012/07/11 05:56:02
    Maybe
    Libertys Martyr
    She's still the hottest keeper in all of existence. But yeah... there's no reason to give her a free pass just because she's able to provide an excuse, maybe a different version of the test can get to the bottom of it? Here's an example of "convenient excuse' in action after I failed a drug test.

"Oh I ate an "everything bagel" Mr. Correctional officer, I don't have THC in my system, it's the poppy seeds"
    -Me, a few years ago, (I was lying).
  • Tom Liberty... 2012/07/11 17:40:18
    Tom
    She didn't test positive for a performance enhancing drug, she tested positive for a drug that is commonly used as a masking agent.
  • Liberty... Tom 2012/07/11 19:47:59
    Libertys Martyr
    What's that?
  • cnsharp 2012/07/11 04:43:18
    cnsharp
    +2
    Seen it happen before so it's possible.

2014/08/23 11:32:40