Have you ever witnessed someone pass away in their sleep, as they say?

Reverend Muerte 2009/04/24 23:00:22
I just found out that my grandmother died last night. My dad said she died in her sleep. I've always heard that, and it's always had me curious. I can't stop imagining how she died. All sorts of scenarios are playing in my head of how she could've died. Was it painful? Was she scared? Was she alone? It's plaguing me not to know.

• Nonicknameunlessyouknowme 2009/04/25 04:39:03 (edited)
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +3
    I have seen more than one person die in their sleep. The one's I witnessed were very peaceful deaths. One lady was sitting by her mother's bedside and talking on the phone when I came to stand in the doorway to check on them. The daughter and I knew the older woman was actively dying as her breathing was becoming more erratic and her arms and legs were mottled. I saw her take a breath, then another, then she just stopped. I waited for her to take another breath but she didn't. The woman's daughter saw me, looked at her mother and realized that the end had come. It was so peaceful that she wouldn't have noticed if she hadn't seen me watching.
    There was another death that I wasn't present for but I tried to be. It was a night where I was responsible for eighty patients and this woman was on the hospice unit and actively dying. I didn't want her to die alone and kept going into the room and talking to her, even though she was unconscious. She had no family to stay with her through the night and that was the hardest thing for me as I was a new nurse back then and hadn't seen as much death. Now I don't believe anyone ever dies alone. I believe that those who have gone before us are there at the end to help just as a doctor or nurse and our mother is there when we are born.
    I have seen a lo...'
    ''''
    I have seen a lot of death over the years and it's not dying that is difficult it is living through the suffering of a terminal illness. If someone dies in their sleep then it looks like they just stop, there is no fight and no sign of pain or discomfort.
    One of my grandfathers died like your grandmother and if I have to go, that's the way I would want it. It really is peaceful and, in my grandfather's case, he lived his life to the fullest up until he decided to go lie down and take a nap from which he never woke up. It was a shock at the time of his death because he hadn't been ill in any way and he was only sixty-seven but it is a comfort to know that he didn't suffer. fullest lie nap woke shock death ill sixty-seven comfort suffer

My dear Dad and a good friend
  • kayla 2009/05/24 03:32:34
    kayla
    +1
    My grandfather died this past April in his sleep. He just went to bed and never woke up. However, my grandmother had passed away in November of '08 and my grandfather was terribly depressed, so we felt like he died of a broken heart.
    Sorry for your loss.
  • Reveren... kayla 2009/05/25 02:31:53
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thank you, and I am sorry for yours too. That is so sad. That's real love right there
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +3
    I have seen a lo...'
    ''''
  • Reveren... Nonickn... 2009/04/27 16:32:16
    Reverend Muerte
    I really appreciate your comment, it helps a great deal to know that. I've had an extremely rough weekend. Thank you very much
  • Nonickn... Reveren... 2009/04/27 22:26:58
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +1
    I'm sure you have, but your grandmother has been right by your side. Sometimes I think going through the funeral we are on automatic pilot and after everything is over is when the loss hits you like a brick wall. Take care of yourself and don't be afraid to lean on others because that is what friends are for and it will help them to know they can help you. automatic pilot loss hits brick wall care afraid lean friends
  • Reveren... Nonickn... 2009/04/27 22:55:29
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thank you I really appreciate your kindness kindness
  • Adam Troy 2009/04/25 02:48:56
    Adam Troy
    Hello:

Who the hell wrote this question? You cannot witness someone passing in their sleep unless you were part of their body, which means you would have passed also and could not tell anyone that you witnessed it. And I thought I was dumb. Bye: Adam Troy
  • Nonickn... Adam Troy 2009/04/25 04:53:55
    Nonicknameunlessyouknowme
    +3
    You are wrong. You can witness someone die in their sleep and know that it was peaceful. I have seen many deaths some of them were asleep and some awake before they died. Believe me when I tell you that you can tell whether someone is suffering when they are asleep as they will be very restless, they may moan and groan and they awaken easily. When you see someone writhing in pain in a semi-coma you know they are suffering and it is time to give them more pain medicine. I have seen people take there last breath and if they were aware of what was going on they would fight it and struggle to take another breath but that is not what I've seen. They just stop. It looks very peaceful.
  • Reveren... Nonickn... 2009/04/27 16:35:59
    Reverend Muerte
    Thank you!
  • nltsierra Adam Troy 2009/04/25 11:24:55
    nltsierra
    +2
    Hey... there is no reason to be nasty to a person who just lost a loved one. He is looking for answers not nasty rude comments. So if you don't have anything nice and supportive to say go away. I would expect you to apologize or edit your answer. Try putting yourself in his shoes next time and keep your mouth shut!
  • Reveren... nltsierra 2009/04/27 16:36:40
    Reverend Muerte
    +2
    Thanks hun. What a douche bag
  • nltsierra Reveren... 2009/04/27 20:16:36
    nltsierra
    +2
    You're welcome! =)
  • Reveren... Adam Troy 2009/04/27 16:35:16
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    I wrote this question asshole. You're telling me that you can't be sitting by someone's side watching them die while they're sleeping? You are obviously confused. And due to your lack of sensitivity over my dead grandmother I feel strongly compelled to tell you to go fuck yourself. Eat a dick adam
  • Reveren... Adam Troy 2009/04/27 17:00:57
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    I found something for you adam :
    adam
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2009/04/25 02:19:23
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +2
    If people die in their sleep it's peaceful...the majority of the time is people stop breathing..the good news is that breathing is shallow and the body slowly develops very low oxygen levels there is no shock to the system when the low levels of oxygen starve the heart so that when it stops, the body shuts down...no drama, the person simply didn't wake up....I've seen people die horribly and this is definately the best way to pass...sorry for your loss
  • Reveren... Bob, th... 2009/04/27 16:38:20
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it. It's good to know that she didn't suffer. I just hope it was peaceful
  • Bob, th... Reveren... 2009/04/27 16:54:30
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    Rest assured, it was...
  • SkitterD 2009/04/25 01:54:14
    SkitterD
    +1
    Well, first of all I am sorry for you loss, and secondly I'd say that has to be the most peacefull way to go! That's the way I'd like to go, there's nothing to know, you are at rest and the Lord comes to take you to your final rest.
  • Raymond 2009/04/25 01:14:50
    Raymond
    +2
    First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. I've never seen anyone die in their sleep, but I did watch an old girlfreind's father die of cancer.....well, actually the cancer was around his throat and he starved to death. He was unconscious when he died, but it took eleven months, he knew it was coming, he was scared to death, and it was a horrible thing to witness. I've also seen people die from violence, in Iraq, suddenly and without warning.....as usually happens in war, and that too was beyond horrible to witness. Your grandmother was one of the lucky ones.....may she rest in peace, and God bless you.
  • Reveren... Raymond 2009/04/27 16:41:10
    Reverend Muerte
    +2
    Thank you Raymond, I appreciate that greatly
  • Foxxxy... With The LOVE 2009/04/25 00:19:47
    Foxxxy... With The LOVE
    +1
    It was so sad.
  • nltsierra 2009/04/25 00:03:54
    nltsierra
    +3
    I'm very sorry for your loss. There are always questions that we can't answer when someone we love has passed.
    My grandmother died in her sleep as well, in my home in the next room from me when I was about 5, so I understand your loss and your questions. I'm sure it was not painful otherwise she would not have been asleep, She was probably not scared as well since she was asleep, and No, she was definitely not alone.
  • Reveren... nltsierra 2009/04/27 16:45:17
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thanks hun. It just sucks because we were very close. I was planning on visiting her over the weekend because I knew she would be gone soon. I guess death beat me though. I just wish I could've been there when she went. My biggest fear is dying alone. Thank you so much for all you supportive comments, I appreciate it greatly
  • nltsierra Reveren... 2009/04/27 20:17:59
    nltsierra
    You won't be alone... don't worry, you are a great person and a caring friend. She knew that you love her and that is a comfort to her even now. =)
  • Maddie 2009/04/24 23:42:06
    Maddie
    +3
    Yeah I heard the same thing they just go to sleep and never wake up. It is very peaceful and the best way to go.
  • Reveren... Maddie 2009/04/27 16:45:45
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    I certainly hope so. Thanks you for commenting
  • bela1315 2009/04/24 23:42:01
    bela1315
    +2
    No I have not witnessed someone pass away in their sleep, I just wanted to tell you that I am very sorry for your loss. witnessed pass sleep loss
  • Reveren... bela1315 2009/04/27 16:46:23
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thank you so much bela!
  • bela1315 Reveren... 2009/04/27 22:03:55
    bela1315
    +1
    Take care of yourself sweetheart, we don't know each other but if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know :)
  • Reveren... bela1315 2009/04/27 22:05:45
    Reverend Muerte
    +1
    Thanks bela I really appreciate your kindness =)
  • Grape :) 2009/04/24 23:37:47
    Grape :)
    +1
    No, I have never witnessed it personally.
    But I know 2 people who have gone that way.
    From what I have heard though, it is the most peaceful way to go, you are just relaxed, and you go to sleep, just to never wake up.
  • Snapper 78 Grape :) 2010/04/01 12:56:50
    Snapper 78
    +2
    i watched 2 people die from gunshot wounds a few years back, it was horrible to watch how scared they were in there final moments, speacially because they knew it was about to happen for them, but what was worse was watching one of the gentlemen's son reactions during and just after the incident. Much better watching someone go in there sleep. I watched my Nan go that way, very peaceful.

2014/12/20 20:55:22