Guillermo Del Toro on Video Games: Will They Rival Film?

Gaming 2011/11/01 13:00:00
Mexican filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro, best known for scifi fantasy flicks like "Hellboy" and "Pan's Labyrinth," announced last year that he would be working on a survival horror game trilogy called "inSANE." This week Del Toro spoke with The Atlantic about his view on video games, and how they compare to movies. He suggests video games will soon be so elaborate and well-conceived that they will rival film as an artform.

He told The Atlantic, "The opposite of humility is arrogance, and that is the coin of trade in the movie business. Movies are one of the peaks of human narrative. But I'm sorry to break it to the movie industry: So are videogames. The videogames we will be playing in 2020—they will be f---ing masterpieces then."

That's why Del Toro wants to make sure "inSANE" is unlike any other game people have seen. He wants to elevate games to level of film, with all the intricacy and respect of a classic. When he announced the game at the Spike Video Game Awards last December, he said, "With this new series of video games, I want to take players to a place they have never seen before, where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality."

• BlackwinterG36C 2011/11/01 18:15:43
    BlackwinterG36C
    +3
    They ALREADY do!! Video games offer more bang for your buck. They also don't preach and shove their politics on you like Hollywood does. All a video game asks of you is your time and maybe some patience. They are more immpersive and the player has choice. The industry generally just wants to make a better game.

Hollywood just wants you to keep buying the same movie over and over again (Sequels,Prequels,Remakes, Reimaginings,Reboots). Their product keeps getting worse every year, but the price keeps going up. What do you think 3D is all about!!!! Hollywood makes movies that say THIS is the norm you must conform. You don't like my movie there's something wrong with you!! This is your hero/main character YOU must like and relate to him/her. He/she is what you should aspire to be! Now give me my award and praise, OH and go vote for candidate X. THATS why video games rival movies.

• fluffy 2011/11/23 15:23:16
    fluffy
    Gears dragon age end of story
  • m 2011/11/22 22:42:58
  • sundance 2011/11/02 14:26:48
    sundance
    I picked true, simply because it will most likely be just that. Video games are already smashingly huge business. However, like Mr Del Toro was quoted as saying, "where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality." This is already a fact, and the basis for a new and frightening expansion to the field of psychiatry. Video games are already educating a new and impressionable generation of eager video game junkies. So now our goal is to take it to the next level, and make morality a question all together. This should be interesting (and hopefully that's all it is) to watch...Just a thought...
  • Yoru Azenia 2011/11/02 13:23:01
    Yoru Azenia
    There already there
  • 2011/11/02 12:58:22
    Don't think so.
  • Estick 2011/11/02 12:57:11
    Estick
    Today's video games usually take 10 hours to 100's of hours to beat. This leads to more time for character development and story telling, which has been getting better and better as technology and budgets have steadily increased over the years.

One recent example is Red Dead Redemption. I grew to care more about the main character in that game than any other game. The game made me feel real emotion over what happens to the main character, John Marston. My experience after finishing the game was that it was better than most movies I had seen. If the plot for this game were turned into a movie, it may not stick out from many of the other classic westerns. But seeing as the game took over 30 hours to beat and I was the one playing as John Marston, I felt like I got to know him as well as many of the other main characters, much better than if they been featured in a 2 hour movie.

This is one reason why I like good TV Dramas such as Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos etc... so much. It's because of the chance for extended storytelling, where there is a long story arc and there is a chance to really build tension into the story. Some scenes may not seem important or significant until many episodes later when you see just how it ties into the story. I...

This is one reason why I like good TV Dramas such as Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos etc... so much. It's because of the chance for extended storytelling, where there is a long story arc and there is a chance to really build tension into the story. Some scenes may not seem important or significant until many episodes later when you see just how it ties into the story. It's telling the long story, and it's something I see video games being great a doing in the near future.

john marston
  • coach k 2011/11/02 10:59:13
    coach k
    who the hell is this guy
  • Pyromaniac 2011/11/02 05:58:03
    Pyromaniac
    +1
    the facts say it all
    video games vs movies sales
  • Aerosol Diamonds 2011/11/02 05:19:19
    Aerosol Diamonds
    In my eyes, they already do ;D
  • killmess 2011/11/02 03:02:41
    killmess
    "where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality."

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Finally someone understand me!!!!! We need more gore, blood and evilness on games!
    Stop doing games for the family and start doing games for adults!
  • Emanon 2011/11/02 03:00:19
    Emanon
  • SuperTrooper 2011/11/02 02:10:05
    SuperTrooper
    But to the top guy, Call of duty is repetitive and are all $60, yet millions still buy it.
  • socokid 2011/11/01 23:27:03
    socokid
    +1
    Absolutely.
  • Vieuphoria 2011/11/01 22:43:28
    Vieuphoria
    of course they will. do not doubt the man... he's a genius. Cronos.... Devil's Backbone.... Pan's Labyrinth...... Greatest director of our time.
  • Kat 2011/11/01 22:14:56
    Kat
    Some already do.
  • Aspect of B 2011/11/01 21:31:33
    Aspect of B
    They already do.

heavy rain poster
  • some idiot who thinks he kn... 2011/11/01 21:21:55
    some idiot who thinks he knows everything
    +1
    Maybe then Roger Ebert will accept video games as a form of art.
  • Ben 2011/11/01 20:17:52
    Ben
    I'll be a little different here by saying that Hellboy was okay and I absolutely hated Pan's Labyrinth. But, I bet this guy could make an amazing survival horror video game. I dig the guys's vision and what he intends, I just don't care for his films. I'll try his video game, though.
  • BishopDeNeumoustier 2011/11/01 20:03:04
    BishopDeNeumoustier
    Like how movies beat out radio by adding a visual media to the story, videogames will reach the point where they beat out movies thanks to the interactive element to the story.
  • Ravinous 2011/11/01 18:57:04 (edited)
    Ravinous
    +1
    They are already the bigger industry in terms of gross profits last I heard.

Edit they also seem to be mastering the Theatrical Trailer:
  • Aspect ... Ravinous 2011/11/01 21:43:32
  • BlackwinterG36C 2011/11/01 18:15:43
    BlackwinterG36C
    +3

• Aspect ... Blackwi... 2011/11/01 21:30:10
    Aspect of B
    I agree with you, but video games do most of those things to. -_-
  • Blackwi... Aspect ... 2011/11/02 08:33:51
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    But when they remake or sequal a game they do their best to improve the game. Some games series don't require you to have played the first game. The people that make games actually play games and want to make a better product. The people that make movies are just in it for a quick buck.
  • Aspect ... Blackwi... 2011/11/02 20:46:00
    Aspect of B
    Say that to Mists of Pandaria. :P
  • Blackwi... Aspect ... 2011/11/03 14:01:27
    BlackwinterG36C
    Who???.......
  • Aspect ... Blackwi... 2011/11/03 19:23:40
    Aspect of B
    Mists of Pandaria: The moment World of Warcraft officially jumped the shark.
  • Blackwi... Aspect ... 2011/11/07 02:51:53
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    OKAY...............WOW has always been a money and time pit.
  • Aspect ... Blackwi... 2011/11/07 03:28:35 (edited)
    Aspect of B
    Hey, at least before it was a money and time pit that was worth alot of the time/money you threw in. There was so much story just waiting to be told with the whole Silverpine/Gilneas thing. And they just ended it on a cliffhanger and are about to send us to pokemon panda land. Weak.
  • Invicid 2011/11/01 17:45:17 (edited)
    Invicid
    +2
    Certain video games are already above and beyond what we see in film. Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, Fable, and alike are already pushing the boundaries of storylines (Fable less so, but it was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head). The ability to be a part of the story is what makes the difference.

It's one thing to be scared by watching a movie, it's entirely a different experience to be scared by a game. It's because you feel more immersed in the tale when you are a part of it.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/11/01 17:16:23
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    I do not do video games,but think it highly unlikely.If it is true then entertainment has taken a U-turn.
  • Indepen... Prime T... 2011/11/01 18:28:22
    Independent Progressive
    +1
    Unfortunately, this generation enjoys sitting in front of a monitor or tv screen for hours on end, screaming into a headset while they pretend to be commandos. That's entertainment to them. Is it any wonder such crappy films are being made? It doesn't take much to entertain them. The intricacies of a movie like the Godfather or Raging Bull would be lost of such as these. They'd leave theaters all "But where were the explosions and why wasn't the movie 3D???"
  • Ravinous Indepen... 2011/11/01 19:03:41
    Ravinous
    +4
    So you ignore the story telling through the journey that is Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (which even Ebert had to take back what he said about it not being art after sitting down to see it) or deep journey into what psychological demons lay within man that the original three Silent Hills explored. Saying every game fits into just being about explosions and quick gratification is like saying every film is like Rambo.

For every Call of Duty there is a Bio Shock, for every Mario there is a Braid. It's a misconception that a thoughtful piece cannot be found in the medium, as the film media has about the same amount of schlock to art ratio as games, and they often promote them even more.
  • Ben Indepen... 2011/11/01 20:24:02
    Ben
    I have to disagree. You are talking about a specific genre of elitist people that sit in front of monitors for hours on end taking on the role of commandos. Also, gamers in general are going to spend hours playing a quality game over watching a brainless movie with awesome graphics or explosions. I honestly do not know a single person that watches action movies anymore. The reason why the film industry is suffering right now is because video games have better story lines and plots than most movies these days!
  • lulzifer 2011/11/01 17:14:54
    lulzifer
    +1
    It is already happening.
    In Mass Effect 2 for example, you gather teammates and get to know them on a personal level. Whether they live or die in the final mission depends entirely on the decisions you made throughout the game.
  • \V/ 2011/11/01 16:23:33
  • socokid \V/ 2011/11/01 23:28:27
    socokid
    I'm 27 hours into Heroes VI. LOVE IT.
  • Woolite 2011/11/01 15:19:27
    Woolite
    +2
    Active, rather than passive involvement with an engrossing plot-theme will morph "film-games" into a new entertainment form that our existing opinions will be unable to judge. And wonderfully, any of us will still be able to chose which we want to watch or share in.
  • TruXter 2011/11/01 13:51:08
    TruXter
    Who is Guillermo ?
  • john doe TruXter 2011/11/01 16:42:39
    john doe
    +1
    You should check out pans labyrinth, sweet movie.

2014/07/26 01:14:18