Feb 1st, 2011 Movie Ticket Prices Go Up Again, Will It Affect Your Movie Going Habits? Ticket prices can go up $2.50 to $4.00 per person depending on where you live.

Roger P 2011/02/01 16:56:52
Related Topics: Hollywood, Dvd, Film, Theater
Hollywood greed will never cease to amaze me. Stars are demanding higher salaries, studios want higher profit margins, and nobody cares about the average movie goers.
When ticket prices skyrocket beyond the hourly minimum wage, it's obvious that most people aren't going to be able to afford to go to the movies.
I can't understand WHY, when the economy is so bad, that studios seem to think that NOW is the time to put out that over priced blockbuster, in 3-D & 2-D and expect the film going public to pay for their excesses!!
Now theaters are hiking the prices to pay for more 3-D screens (even now that they're thinking too much 3-D is a bad thing again) and we're going to be suckered into paying for glasses EVERYTIME, as well as the higher ticket prices for regular movies to help pay for the special screeens and other upgrades for the 3-D films we probably won't be able to afford to see.
I'm pretty sure now that theaters are on their last legs. They can't take another price increase and frankly neither can the general public at this juncture. I think most people, like myself, will give up being a film/theater buff once and for all and be happy with the 42 inch version of the film at home with surround sound and our microwave popcorn.
The last time we took the family (four of us), it was $50 for the tickets and another $30 for refreshments. With the price increase, it will make less people going to the theaters, and so the refreshments will go up again, too.
So, what once was an $80 night out will fast become a $100 night out and WHO can afford that?

Read More: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/28/2617330/movie...

• ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2011/02/21 06:55:51
    It Will Depend On The Movie And How Bad I Want To See It OnThe Big Screen
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    I'm spoiled though. I saw every movie that I wanted to for free during the nearly 10 years I worked for United Artist. I wait for most movies to come out on DVD.
  • Themovieguy 2011/02/21 02:21:21
    No, I'm Loaded And I'll Be A Sucker And Continue To Feed Hollywood.
    Themovieguy
    +1
    I'm a movie critic, I Get payed to pay for the tickets. All's good with me.
  • JoeMoonraven 2011/02/19 01:25:43
    Yes, Movie Ticket Prices Are Out Of Control, I'll Wait For The DVD.
    JoeMoonraven
    $4??? Are you kiding? Movie tickets are already $10 here....
  • Willzyman 2011/02/17 01:05:58
    Willzyman
    I only wish ticket prices were that cheap here in the UK. We pay upwards of £8 to see a movie here and that comes to about $15 so if u think you're being ripped off think about us poor Brits.
  • ~Lily~ 2011/02/14 14:49:24
    ~Lily~
    I prefer DVD's anyway :P
  • Sketch 2011/02/13 06:40:45
    Sketch
    I haven't paid for a full price movie in years due to the crazy rates. I usually wait for the supersavers or Video.
  • X 2011/02/10 20:18:50 (edited)
    X
    +1
    In the last 10 years I've seen exactly 5 movie in the theater. The prices are just too darned high for many years now for a substandard experience. The speakers are always over-cranked, floors sticky, seats lumpy, room smelly, people yaking.

My living room is far far superior.
  • thy-lady-x 2011/02/10 04:56:37
    thy-lady-x
    +2
    for the most part I'm done with theaters. I am perfectly happy waiting for dvd, and that helps reduce wasting money on a movie thats been hyped up. If I wait til its on dvds I know I really wanted to see it not just been talked into it by the commercials and crap surrounding it. I htnk goodness we have a dollard theater around here still, well its like 2.50 now, but still its cheaper and we still get the big screen, less people, and the fantastic week old fake buttered popcorn.
  • Roger P thy-lady-x 2011/02/11 10:49:56
    Roger P
    Good For You!! You need to keep patronizing those Dollar Theaters! They will eventually be the salvation of the Movie Industry! We LOVE ours and try to go at least 2 times a month, depending on what's being shown!
  • thy-lady-x Roger P 2011/02/11 15:17:10
    thy-lady-x
    I try to go at least once a month or so, which is more frequently than the regular theater. Anymore I go to the regular theater maybe 4-6 times a year.
  • RastaFan 2011/02/10 02:45:43
    RastaFan
    Underground downloads .... eff Hollywood until they renounce their rampant communist addiction.
  • Roger P RastaFan 2011/02/11 10:51:16
    Roger P
    +1
    Be Careful.... I've had 2 friends popped for pirating! It's NOT PRETTY. They're starting to crack down on pirate downloaders.
  • DiViews2014 2011/02/10 01:04:14 (edited)
    DiViews2014
    +4
    Our prices are $10. I am selective about what I see and I try and attend during matinée hours. Matinee prices are $6. On Tuesday, they have $1 popcorn and $1 drinks. I am patience and I wait for either DVD or pay per view.
  • Roger P DiViews... 2011/02/11 10:52:33
    Roger P
    +1
    I enjoy the matinees when we can go...unfortunately, work doesn't always allow it. Plus most of our movie going friends want to go at night.
  • DiViews... Roger P 2011/02/11 18:12:57
    DiViews2014
    That does make it more of a dilemma. Well take some comfort in that your prices are not as high as ours. :)
  • DrewyDrew 2011/02/10 00:53:45
    DrewyDrew
    +1
    i dont really go to the movies :/
  • tff~PWCM~JLA 2011/02/10 00:49:41
    Arrgh! I'm Mad As Hell And I'm Not Going To Take It Any More!
    tff~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Their not worth half what their charging ,plus the $30 for popcorn
  • Roger P tff~PWC... 2011/02/11 10:55:55
    Roger P
    +1
    More than HALF of the last dozen or so movies I've seen in the theater were turkeys and you're right, they were NOT worth the price of admission, let alone the the price of the popcorn. Most movies these days have too much graphic, gratuitious violence. And to think they complained about the sex scenes in the past! I'd take a scene of 2 people making love over two or more people slicing and dicing pieces and body parts.
  • Bronar 2011/02/10 00:25:09
    Bronar
    +1
    My 7 yo son is the only one that chooses movies in my house. Last one I paid for by my own choice was Avatar because I got sucked into the buzz about how awesome it was. Gave me a headache and I'm not really interested in all the sequels he has planned.
  • Roger P Bronar 2011/02/11 11:01:34
    Roger P
    +1
    We've decided to cease going to 3-D films because more than one of us complained about having a headache when we got home and the prices to see them PLUS the extra for glasses you don't get to keep is just REDICULOUS!
    It was suggested that we sit farther back in the theater during a 3-D film, so when a friend asked me to go to one, their treat, I went....Farther back doesn't give you the headache, but, now they're talking about 3-D viewing is not good for the eyes/brain. We'll see. But, I REFUSE to pay the price so it doesn't matter to me and we'll never be investing in a 3-D TV either! What a waste.
    I enjoyed Avatar, we'll see what happens...but, NOT on the big screen!
  • Ms Missy 2011/02/10 00:09:28
    Ms Missy
    +1
    and i never watch movies unless they are on demand or online...that way i can pause things.
  • LoveYah 2011/02/09 23:17:57
    LoveYah
    +2
    I will wait for the DVD to be in the bargain bin! :)
  • Roger P LoveYah 2011/02/11 11:02:00
    Roger P
    +1
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!
  • Katty 2011/02/09 23:17:34
    Katty
    +3
    i guess it depends on the movie but i will prob just end up waiting til it comes on dvd or go to the college near me and watch the movies for 2.50, they show movies in a their theater a month or so b4 the movie comes out on dvd.
  • Tau_Seti 2011/02/09 23:09:26
  • Liza Jane 2011/02/09 23:04:20
    Liza Jane
    +3
    I use Netflix and Redbox. I probably see a movie in theaters once every 3-4 months, it's just not worth the money.
  • Roger P Liza Jane 2011/02/11 11:03:20
    Roger P
    +1
    This is kind of how we've altered our movie going experience. We haven't been to the theater since Harry Potter Pt 1 which was NOT worth the money!!! BORING!
  • Dandydon 2011/02/09 23:03:58
    Dandydon
  • Roger P Dandydon 2011/04/15 19:40:26 (edited)
    Roger P
    +1
    Even I have to admit. In January, I started a NETFLIX subscription as we decided that it is JUST TOO EXPENSIVE for anyone to go to the movies in a first run theater unless it's one of the bargain theaters. We have one here that just re-opened. It doesn't have the thundering sound or the new seats but, it does have good prices (a first run ticket is 3 to 4 dollars less than the local new high end multiplex) and the concession stand prices are INCREDIBLE!!! One other plus, they serve Pepsi products instead of the mandatory $5 Coke at the high end multiplex! For $20 you can get in, share a popcorn and 2 beverages and they offer $1 refills on the popcorn or the pop! Whatta deal!
    If I don't wanna wait for Netflix (there was a 3 week wait to see Burlesque!) we will do Red Box.
    It's worth it for the times when there's a wait time for Netflix.
    My only complaint with Net Flix is they only mail you out one movie at a time. I don't care for the streaming movies...they never seem to work right, all the way through and that is frustrating. So, it's DVD's, cheap theaters, or NOTHING!
    +3
    ours have been over $6.00 for yrs...we have one theater that gets them on second run..I go there
  • Roger P Sister ... 2011/02/11 11:04:23
    Roger P
    Way To Go Sis!!! We support our second run theaters, too for films we want to see on the big screen now, for the most part! We also appreciate the better refreshments and prices!
  • Denny 2011/02/09 22:58:52
    Denny
    +1
    Nope I'm not going to change I can still get 4 movies for $20 at Walmart.
  • Rude&Reckless 2011/02/09 22:58:24
    Rude&Reckless
    +1
    I generally only go to the movies about 4 or 5 times a year as it is. I doubt that will change.
  • Roger P Rude&Re... 2011/02/11 11:05:30
    Roger P
    We get 4 for $12 at the local pawn shops!
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/02/09 22:48:44
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I dont go to the movies that much anymore to worry about it. Between the boobs that wont zip it during the movie and the sticky floor, im not much for theaters anymore. The price of the movie just makes it that much more of a reason to stay away.
  • It Will Depend On The Movie And How Bad I Want To See It OnThe Big Screen
    ~♠♀She-Ninja-PandasaurusRex♀♠~
    +1
    Really? Only 4 bucks where you live? There 10 everywhere I go. Not to mention how much they manage to suck out of me for popcorn and a soda. That's why I go to the Byrd when I want to see a movie. It shows really popular movies that left theaters about a month ago. Tickets are 1.99 and popcorn and stuff is pretty cheap
  • Rude&Re... ~♠♀She-... 2011/02/09 23:02:56
    Rude&Reckless
    +3
    It says prices will increase $2 to $4, not that they will be priced AT $4. That means you could potentially be paying $12 to $14 instead of $10.

But I agree. Two dollar theaters are the way to go.
  • ~♠♀She-... Rude&Re... 2011/02/09 23:12:44
    ~♠♀She-Ninja-PandasaurusRex♀♠~
    +2
    Oh. My bad, didn't read it right...
    They're a lot more affordable, and the Byrd has this guy come out and play a bunch of songs on an eighteenth century piano. It's really cool
  • Rude&Re... ~♠♀She-... 2011/02/09 23:16:05
    Rude&Reckless
    +2
    Wow, that is cool. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in a lame retirement town. Everything is so run-of-the-mill here.
  • ~♠♀She-... Rude&Re... 2011/02/09 23:21:52
    ~♠♀She-Ninja-PandasaurusRex♀♠~
    +2
    Well that sucks. The cities here are pretty old, so we have all these museums and old-timey theaters. It's cool, plus, the neighborhood I live in is only twenty minutes away from, like, three cities. It makes going places convenient.

2014/04/17 07:14:23