Eminem: Homophobic No More

SodaHead Music 2010/06/21 14:57:31
Since his controversial Marshall Mathers LP, released in 2001, Eminem has run into trouble with the gay community over what many have perceived as a hostile attitude toward homosexuality. Though the rapper has often claimed that his lyrics were satirical, and even performed a duet with Elton John at the 2001 Grammy Awards, he has never backed down from the aggressive way he addressed the issue -- until now.

In addition to toning down his lyrics for this summer's tour with rap group D12, Eminem now openly supports gay marriage. "I think if two people love each other, then what the hell? I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want," he told New York Times Magazine. "It's the new tolerant me!"

He also admitted, "Anything I’ve ever said, I certainly was feeling at the time. But I think I’ve calmed down a bit."

Eminem's new attitude might have something to do with his recovery from substance abuse. After years of dependency on prescription sleeping medication like Vicodin, Valium, Ambien and methadone, he is now two years sober.

Does Eminem's new opinion of gay marriage change the way you feel about him?

• disogirl551 2010/06/21 15:46:43
    No, it doesn't change how I feel about him at all
    disogirl551
    +8
    I've always respected Eminem. This doesn't change anything.

• thomm.yost 2012/12/09 09:29:27
    thomm.yost
    Really I would like to meet Marshall the man instead of Eminem the stage personna. He himself has even joked about how out there Eminem is and let's not forget the man does have the respect of the industry that he works in and you do not keep that just by selling albums and be a right royal ass.
  • Johnny 2012/10/23 15:48:20
    Johnny
    it doesnt matter to me eminem still the same good rapper he has always been
  • Amanda 2012/01/07 05:52:09
    Amanda
    +2
    i'm a big eminem fan and i'm gay, his lyrics does not hurt me, eminem rips on everyone, and that doesn't change how i feel about him but it does make me happy to see that he's okay with gay marrige.
  • StellaXia 2011/12/21 01:54:55
  • eminemfan 2011/12/13 01:13:48
    eminemfan
    i would still love him if he was homophobic...
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2011/04/27 15:37:03
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    I think that Eminem being more supporting of gay marriage is a good thing-I agree that people who love each other should d what they want regardless of gender. But who really cares if gays get married or not? I don't. Eminem is still the best rapper out there, secret homphobe or not, whichever you choose to believe.
  • Ryan 2011/04/17 16:21:16
    Yes, I have more respect for Eminem now that he's openly supporting gay marriage
    Ryan
    i got more respect for him cuz of it but in relapse he was making fun of gay people left n right n a little in recovery
  • Shanice 2011/01/26 04:17:09
    Shanice
    okay im sorry but all yall who was pissed at eminem cuz he wouldnt support the gay ppl now yall pissed at him cuz he is accepting gay ppl damn kids make up ur mine
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2010/06/23 00:50:23 (edited)
  • meganir... thє вlu... 2010/10/07 20:26:48
    meganirene107
    +2
    The point isn't about his being a "hip hoper"
  • iMmA bE DifFeREnt 2010/06/23 00:10:46
    iMmA bE DifFeREnt
    +1
    Nothing's really changed to me.
  • killerchick123 2010/06/22 23:14:41
    killerchick123
    I like him either way. He's a fantastic artist.
  • Zack Daley 2010/06/22 23:06:07
    Zack Daley
  • SamuelMiller 2010/06/22 22:16:24
    SamuelMiller
    +3
    his new album is pretty cool http://www.badhabitatmusic.co...
  • Mark 2010/06/22 21:44:24
    Mark
    I wish I liked his music, too, but... I'm not really a fan of rap to begin with.
  • acg 2010/06/22 21:04:08
    acg
    +1
    i've always loved his music and i've always had respect for him. so this doesn't change anything. ♥
  • Cao 2010/06/22 20:53:42
    Cao
    +1
    wow what a weird world we live in when disagreeing with sodomites' and sadoo-masochists "lifestyle" if you want to call it that- and the rest of the kinky (and often bruised) leatherworld is considered 'homophobic'.

I'll go on record for also being against beastiality, polygamy and other forms of sexual deviance that can cause all kinds of problems, not to mention disease and injury.

I think Eminem has sold out to political pressure from this group that is promoting its victimhood.

'm not sure how I feel about what's happening in society at large for this kind of thing to be announced as though it's some kind of victory over a pretend bigotry that the blood banks are basing on statistical facts regarding a higher propensity for disease (because statistically speaking they don't stay monogamous and stick things where things are only supposed to come OUT)...which is why they don't allow gays to give blood...to protect hemophiliacs and others who've experienced an AIDS epidemic in the past.

These vicrtim-promoters ought to look at the real victims and they are not gays...they are the people who the gays are silencing with their victim circus act. Just watch any of their parades where you can't tell what is male or female...there is a biology that goes with gender; it's not a social construct.
  • Mark Cao 2010/06/22 21:56:49
    Mark
    +7
    Wow, nice little rant about nothing there. So, you're saying that since you can't tell who is male or female at a Pride parade that you're being silenced somehow? That's reaching pretty far. Of course, maybe you meant someone else was a victim, but didn't state who or where. Perhaps you're talking about the Christian tyrannical despotism that seems to encroach upon everyday life of normal people? If so, that's fine, but forcing "values" on others has never worked out. Look at the wars in the Middle East for an example. If this keeps up, we might end up like them over there, not for a holy land, but for people to be able to be allowed to live how they were born.

Also, comparing consenting adult couples with couples where one has no ability to consent is just throwing common sense out the window. Of course, common sense is rare in this day and age.

Nobody is forcing you to be involved with homosexuality. In fact, with basic human rights, pride parades would no longer be needed. Ever think about that? Also, more AIDS cases are found among heterosexuals than homosexuals these days. Yes, it was more rampant in the past, but that's the past, not the present.
  • rory Mark 2010/10/29 21:14:38
    rory
    +1
    THANK you! I was reading that thinking wow.... what stupidity!! thank you for saying something!!
  • DrewSto... Cao 2010/06/22 22:13:38
    DrewStoller
    Moron.
  • Cao DrewSto... 2010/06/25 12:30:16
    Cao
    oh my, that was intelligent , LOL
  • meganir... Cao 2010/10/07 20:28:10
    meganirene107
    +4
    not very intelligent, but true.
  • Timewise 2010/06/22 20:17:38
    Timewise
    I think he sucks and so does his music.
  • Meggies1104 2010/06/22 20:17:24 (edited)
    Meggies1104
    I have always respected him, and he had been friends with Elton for so long how could he hate gay people,. I have listened to his music since kindergarten , so in a ya I have been cussing for that long. (i am going into the 9th grade) and I have always respected him and loved his music.. I think he is one of the best rappers ever, and come on he is friends with Elton Jon.
  • DiogoSoares 2010/06/22 17:16:33
    DiogoSoares
    +1
    i am anti-homophobic.
    I've always respected Eminem, even though he apparently disliked homosexuals, So supporting Gay Marriage and stopping to do drugs is absolutely a plus :)
  • RandomMusicXD 2010/06/22 16:46:23
    RandomMusicXD
    I have always had respect for Eminem but I have gain more respect for him than ever,now that he is trying to stop drugs. Even his songs are a lot easier to understand now. Despite the fact that he is supporting Gay Marriage.
  • ChloeLouise 2010/06/22 16:31:14
    ChloeLouise
    I have never hated or disliked eminem i hve never really took any intrest in hiim but since he has done this new song i love him he looks sooo fit with dark hair xx
  • runningintriangles 2010/06/22 16:25:29
    runningintriangles
    +1
    I've always had a certain amount of respect for him, to be honest. This perhaps ups the amount of respect, but nothing more.

Although it is nice to see that it's possible for a person to change their ways, and it's always nice to see people supporting equality. =]
  • cori.ehlinger 2010/06/22 15:39:25
    cori.ehlinger
    I'm a new Eminem fan, so I don't really care. He's still this same guy.
  • Freezing-in-Michigan 2010/06/22 15:39:06
    Freezing-in-Michigan
    Would I be more socialy tolerant if I was more suppportive of, let's say "Elizabeth Smart, or Scott Peterson, or Charles Manson. Or mayge John Wayne Gacy. Or maybe the Revlon heir, Andrew Luster.
    I am so sick of that word "toleracne. Just like the word "Gay"
    Remember when the word Gay meant happy, joyful. Rememer when the word tolerance use to mean putting up with something you did not like. Not where you had to like something or maybe go to jail for being intolerant?
  • Jersey-Gurl 2010/06/22 15:25:30 (edited)
    Jersey-Gurl
    Since when was he homophobic? Just because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't mean they're homophobic.

And I've always liked him.
  • EzioFirenza 2010/06/22 13:20:34
    EzioFirenza
    For me, as a newish eminem fan, (didn't start listening till last year) I don't think this really changes anything for me. He is still just as cool, but it doesn't make him any cooler. Lots of Celebs are making their opinion on Gay marriage known right now,
  • leila_2121 2010/06/22 10:16:16
    leila_2121
    he is a great guy and a great singer i always loved him that's not change how i feel about him at all
  • vannuck 2010/06/22 08:51:37
    vannuck
    meh he's human like the rest of us
  • Taarakian 2010/06/22 08:49:06 (edited)
    Taarakian
    I knew it was only a matter of time til he finally came out of the closet!

• Meggies... Taarakian 2010/06/22 20:26:16
    Meggies1104
    what the hell do you mean by " its about time he came out of the closet?"
  • Katie~awkward child♥ 2010/06/22 07:30:57
    Katie~awkward child♥
    I think it's great to see him change for the better :)
  • KC 2010/06/22 07:18:01
    KC
    +1
    I've liked him and supported him for a long time. He has my respect either way.
  • RavëIzKing 2010/06/22 06:36:38
  • Kyou 2010/06/22 05:13:55
    Kyou
    Which means not very much...

2014/04/16 19:09:48