Don Imus hints that he may retire now after 30 years. Do you think........

EagleEye 2007/04/12 20:52:27
Petition to get him back on the air!
Let him 'ride into the sunset'
Fire and prohibit all entertainers who use those words and WORSE on air and in their songs
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Radio host Don Imus hinted on Thursday his days on the airwaves may be numbered after a 30-year career that erupted in controversy over racist and sexist comments about a women's college basketball team. MSNBC dumped its simultaneous cable television broadcast of his "Imus in the Morning" radio show on Wednesday, and several major advertisers have backed out a week after he called the mostly black Rutgers University team "nappy-headed hos." The word "nappy" is viewed as a vile slur describing the tightly curled natural hair texture of many African-Americans, while "ho" is slang for "whore," usage of which has exploded in hip-hop music and popular culture in recent years. On Imus' broadcast on Thursday -- his annual drive to raise money for children with cancer -- the radio host who trades on a curmudgeonly persona called the media "hypocritical" in its coverage of the flap. But he acknowledged it will be hard to continue broadcasting. "I don't know if this will be my last radiothon, my suspicion is it will be," Imus said, adding the situation had become "insane" and "out of control." The 66-year old Imus holds an annual drive on his show to raise money for his ranch for sick children and to fight diseases such as sudden infant death syndrome. The fund raiser, which continues on Friday, was the main reason his two-week suspension from CBS airwaves does not begin until Monday. "I don't want this to turn into a memorial service for me," Imus said, repeating that he planned to meet with the Rutgers team to discuss his "idiotic" remarks.

• Chozn4u 2007/05/07 17:02:05
    Fire and prohibit all entertainers who use those words and WORSE on air and i...
    Chozn4u
    +2
    Fire one, Fire all.

• i812 2008/11/17 18:22:47
    i812
    i do listen to imus in the morning once in awhile. i do not listen everyday. it is like listening to ozzy osborne talk. i always said he is the american vertion of ozzy , in a cowboy hat. i have never seen him on tv. i can only imagine the oatmeal drueling out of his mouth when he talks. like ozzy he has used way to many drugs.
  • Seeker 2008/11/09 13:48:55
    Seeker
    Yeah, America is advancing into a new age with a new agenda. People who think like Don Imus are stale and need to "ride into the sunset". We need better role models and kids listen to music and are influenced by it. If we allow that music to bring up our sons, theyre going to be talking just like Don Imus was.
  • pepper131 2008/09/10 16:45:13
    pepper131
    Imus can be a bad boy, but now MSNBC has “Morning Joe” the most right wing thing since Germany circa 1935.
  • All Cattle No Hat 2008/02/29 00:27:14
    All Cattle No Hat
    +1
    Fuck Don Imus
  • bubbaandjudy 2007/12/05 19:30:57
    bubbaandjudy
    His popularirty will bring him back sooner or later.
  • Maria 2007/11/25 04:44:00
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Maria
    yes give his job back, he is fun and very western! alot of Africa America don't want us to enjoy this but they will never understand this. Africa America have overlaps over tiny little simple thing! words don't stick to your bone.
  • Annie 2007/10/08 23:22:14
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Annie
    I want to see Imus back on MSNBC, enjoyed watching the show every morning
  • ambersaunty 2007/07/06 19:27:19
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    ambersaunty
    Bring him back. Mornings are just not the same without Imus. If you are reading this Don, we love and miss you very much.
  • Dillikin 2007/05/18 09:39:38
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Dillikin
    I MISS Imus!
  • Ann 2007/05/14 02:24:07
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Ann
    +1
    I'd sign and hope he'll consider any offers he gets.
  • virginia 2007/05/10 01:31:49
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    virginia
    +1
    here we go again the AL and JESSE show bringing racism to the forefront of everything uttered by a white man good god please somebody shut these two trouble making hypocrites up and quit giving in to every little thing that they start crying foul or racist about and tell the news stations to quit putting them on the tv every time they fart.
  • ambersa... virginia 2007/07/06 19:30:16
    ambersaunty
    I agree with you Virginia. Those two Irreverands are the biggest racists around. Why does any self respecting person listen to those two bozos. They get too much air time.
  • Chozn4u 2007/05/07 17:02:05
    Chozn4u
    +2
    Fire one, Fire all.
  • Tess 2007/05/06 00:40:58
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Tess
    Imus has so much to give and do that could clear up the use of the words he spoke... words that black people use daily toward each other... wouldn't it be fine if we had him back an he cleaned up the matter... T
  • Foxy 2007/05/05 13:22:44
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Foxy
    The Imus firing is a true loss to all of us.
  • cat lady 2007/04/29 01:45:21
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    cat lady
    +1
    I hope he comes back!!!!!!!
  • Noor 2007/04/26 16:57:29 (edited)
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Noor
    +1
    Every one talks about every one thats not news, but the air waves cant get enough of it. Just because some one is racial in any way thats not going to stop the TV from makeing money the people watching dont really care. Think about it! What the TV needs to protest is against the rapest & murders that they only get short sentences while a small time crimanals get 20years or more but they keep letting thes rappers out.
  • mtn mama 2007/04/26 13:48:10
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    mtn mama
    +1
    There isn't another show like his out there... It if anything was above board and honest and he has done the most for our Soldiers and vets out there then any crazed racial black men (Jackson and Sharpton) , by the way did they get their degree of Reverence on line ?
  • mary mtn mama 2007/05/10 15:18:00
    mary
    My morning is empty without Imus...the only show pathetic MSNBC had worth watching. Sharpton has always disgusted me---go figure major networks cowered to him...he's a no bodt and more of a bigot and racist than Imus could ever try to be.
  • maleiter 2007/04/26 03:29:25
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    maleiter
    +1
    I would take part in any organized movement to support Don Imus and get him back on the air, as well as streaming video on TV &/or Internet. This DOES NOT mean I support his foolish comments. Only, he is a good man, deserving of another chance.
  • Hut 2007/04/25 19:53:02
    Hut
    +2
    I never listened to Imus and was not particularly a fan. But, wouldn't it be fun to see all the rappers and such ilk have to stop using the word. If you take out all their curse words, they would have nothing left to say.
  • EagleEye Hut 2007/05/03 05:57:13
    EagleEye
    +1
    Your'e right
  • gavin 2007/04/25 19:19:25
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    gavin
    Don Imus' retirement would be the worst thing that could happen for so many innocent bystanders. Just a few groups would be sick kids,soldiers,and so many americans who are helped to stay informed by him. I for one hope this doesn't end a career that has and still CAN bring so much to so many. I get the sense he is the type that would go nuts 6 months into retirement anyway.......so why not continue doing the good that he is so capable of doing.He has already apologized and did so before the proverbial "S#$%" hit the fan . So quit moaning and let him get on with it.
  • Burr 2007/04/24 00:54:46
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Burr
    Imus, and Bernie and Chucker. . . we need your insults. PMS-NBC is otherwise doomed! On the other hand, self immolation sounds just as viable.
  • coilSHcoyle 2007/04/23 03:56:31
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    coilSHcoyle
    America needs the conversation, the I-man rattles everyone's ego and makes us see ourselfs.

Coil
  • lou5560 2007/04/19 23:34:16
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    lou5560
    +1
    I have been listening to Don Imus since I was in high school (30 yrs) Everyday on the way to work I have listened to him. Its just not the same without him. Its like one of your favorite co-workers retiring. As a person with some hispanic background I have heard my share of insults over the years (not by Imus). I also enjoyed Imus' Heraldo Santana Banana character & I have never felt offended. I think his jokes are in the spirit of humor not mean spirited. There is nothing wrong with a little humor. There are alot more things to worry about in life than a few jokes. Words bother & hurt us only if we choose to let them. If we as a society can't laugh at our selves & are that thin-skinned, we may as well crawl into a cave. I would also like to add that as a Christian, we are taught love & forgivness & to bring people together. Rev.Sharpton & Jackson who claim to be people of God only seem to promote racism,hatred, & division amoung races. BRING IMUS BACK !!!!
  • LuLu lou5560 2007/04/22 08:05:36
    LuLu
    +1
    I too have listening to the Imus for 30 or so years. I feel like a close friendd of mine has died!! Sharpton (Tawana Brawley's bitch) has never apologized or paid the judgement he was supposed to to the Prosecutor whose life he ruined. Him and "Hymietown" Jackson are phonies and I hope I live long enought to see them just go away. THEY are the ones making racial problems in America. I am a women and a Catholic and take no offnse to anythinng Imus and Co. have said. People have to stop takiing themselves so seriously.
  • Terri 2007/04/19 20:16:39
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Terri
    +1
    Please let Don Imus know that we miss him! The past two weeks without seeing him on MSNBC every morning has been like losing a beloved relative, and I have to get up at three am to watch him! It's more than worth the early hour to hear his brutally honest comments as well as his wonderful, dry sense of humor. Please find out what we can do to get him back on the air. Too many people love him and don't want to lose him for good!
  • jo121957 2007/04/19 15:02:35
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    jo121957
    +1
    I don't think Imus should've been fired. Joanne
  • Gene 2007/04/17 11:56:09
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Gene
    If you allow comedy on the public airways you have to allow Imus to remain.
  • Natch 2007/04/17 01:17:23
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Natch
    He has a big heart and a rough exterior. My kinda guy.
  • Patrick 2007/04/16 23:13:42
    Patrick
    All of those people who enjoyed his humor and work to help kids should email the sponsors and the networks and get him back on the air with an apology from Sharpton and Jackson. By the way Wal-Mart Sponsors Fat Al Sharpton's radio show, I have just quite spending aprox $400.00 a month there we should all do the same!!!!
  • Natch Patrick 2007/04/17 19:50:14
    Natch
    Patrick, I agree with you. A Walmart moratorium it is for me. Al Sharpton indeed!
  • Michael 2007/04/16 19:41:46
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Michael
    He still has so much to offer children, veterans and others. He is a superior fund raiser and he really is very kind. He is one of my morning AA meetings and I will miss that very much
  • mrpurrfect 2007/04/15 07:00:21
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    mrpurrfect
    Al Sharpton scared the advertisers. we need to scare them back to rehiring imus. I started a web page and am looking for co authors of it.

I hope breaking news on page 3 is very funny, we all do need to laugh

http://imuslives.bravehost.com/

Please visit, add to the blog, vote and let me know if you want to become involved...

My email address is on the web site...

I need help to get this done... The web page is still very primitive, but i have great hope for finding people to help, please consider it.
  • Shell 2007/04/13 23:26:48
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Shell
    It's time everyone was a bit kinder and nicer to each other but lets not make one person take the fall for what has been going on everywhere from all races. Even soaps are using the B word hate it but try not to cringe too much. Still watch my soaps. He should have only been fined opr suspended come on now.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2007/04/13 19:45:30
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    Forget the networked media. Go with Sirius!
  • dances 2007/04/13 19:01:33
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    dances
    +1
    If Al and Jesse can do this "IMUS" they can do it to anyone. Now I can no longer view the TV or listen to the radio program I want to unless Al & Jesse give me their blessing? I cannot believe how fast certain sponsors have jumped on their bandwagon; these sponsors have lost my patronage forever. As far as the remark goes, it was said in humor, it was not vicious. Mr. Imus is not a bigot, anyone who watches him on a regular basis knows this; his support for Harold Ford, a black candidate for senator from Tennessee was unwavering; plus every summer instead of going on vacation, they help kids with cancer (all races) at a ranch they set up in New Mexico. Finally, if the remark was a racist remark why did it not include the Lady Vols?
  • OMG itz... dances 2007/04/13 19:16:23
    OMG itz IRENE
    I think you need to look at the whole picture when you judge someone. You're right, all of Imus' actions do more to show that he's not racist than racist. I think he's guilty of a lapse of judgment and most people should recognize this.
  • pyleahead 2007/04/13 17:35:07
    Petition to get him back on the air!
    pyleahead
    My husband and I will no longer be viewing Msnbc, CBS or listening to WFAN.

2014/09/23 06:22:08